Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night 10:44 - Aug 22 with 4012 viewsGuthrum

It's just the tactical system needs a bit of tweaking.

IMO primarily getting central midfield to attack further forwards, so the striker is not having to do so much work on his own and having more bodies in the box for the wide-men to aim at. Or using a second striker. Nolan evidently has skill, but his efforts were all long range. Chalobah was having to cover the full length of the pitch, so, having started a move was not always where he was needed at the finish.

The team defended well, but while we are having difficulty scoring, will always be vulnerable to one or two unfortunate goals (e.g. deflected shot goes in) turning the game.

Thought the play in the middle of the park was really quite good. We've obviously invested in some of those boots the ball actually sticks to. Also the players seem to have a much better idea of where each other are, for the flicks and quick passes.

Once we can fix the scoring problem, this team will be quite effective.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 10:51 - Aug 22 with 3113 viewsBlueBadger

AS HFB said, this season's 15th place could be the best one we ever achieve.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 10:56 - Aug 22 with 3114 viewsSWGF

Don't know if you were there or not, but being there I thought that we played it perfectly in the first half and that, tactically, PH got it spot on. They were ineffective, the players couldn't do what Lampard wanted them to do, the crowd were getting on their backs. But second half we never really got going and once they scored (fortuitously or not) we never looked like getting back into it.

Harrison had his poorest match for us last night, IMO. Nothing stuck to him so it was even more difficult for people to support him. Glimpses from Nolan and Edwards but nothing more.

JD looked good AGAIN.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 14:19]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 10:57 - Aug 22 with 3089 viewsnoitan

The scoring bit is the difficult part.

Curlew

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 10:58 - Aug 22 with 3088 viewsOldsmoker

There are things to get right which we can work on and solve during training.
The more the team plays together and each player understands his relationship with the player(s) around him the better it gets.
Last nights game did not seem to be a team of strangers playing together so we've got over one hurdle.
Bart needs to stop flapping at crosses and trust in his defenders more.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 10:58 - Aug 22 with 3083 viewsdirtyboy

I agree

I think Chalobah and Skuse need to define their role a bit more, one of those players needs to push up further on the offensive and trust the other who's sitting to allow Edwards and Ward/Edun to get further up the pitch as support.

Skuse has shown he can cover the pitch well and is more than capable of getting the ball to feet an extra 10 yards away if Chalobah is closer to Nolan.

As I see it, you should have Nolan with Skuse or Chalobah alongside him, Harrison in front and Edwards and Ward wide of them.

If you're not going to put Chalobah and Skuse further up, then Knudsen and Donacien need to be much more supportive when going forward and I think they stood off Derby too much, possibly as a result of their good start and being concerned about the amount of possession they had early doors. Sadly, we don't have a Kyle Walker type full back.
Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 10:59 - Aug 22 with 3083 viewsLesta_Tractor

I agree with what you've said but think the last sentence should read...

'If we can fix the scoring problem, this team will be quite effective. '

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:02 - Aug 22 with 3072 viewsitfcjoe

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 10:56 - Aug 22 by SWGF

Don't know if you were there or not, but being there I thought that we played it perfectly in the first half and that, tactically, PH got it spot on. They were ineffective, the players couldn't do what Lampard wanted them to do, the crowd were getting on their backs. But second half we never really got going and once they scored (fortuitously or not) we never looked like getting back into it.

Harrison had his poorest match for us last night, IMO. Nothing stuck to him so it was even more difficult for people to support him. Glimpses from Nolan and Edwards but nothing more.

JD looked good AGAIN.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 14:19]

I think there has been a bit of an over reaction to last night - like you say first half was very decent and think we looked more likely. Ward has taken a bit of stick but thought that he was one of our better players in the first half - got us up the pitch well a couple of times and was much more effective than Edwards who didn't really get into it.

After half time we didn't really get going and didn't sustain any possession in their half. Thought we missed Skuse when he went off and that ironically forced us to sit even deeper as Downes looked a bit lost positionally.

The goal was an absolute killer, and being followed by the second was tough to take.

Thought JD was very good defensively but didn't offer anything really forwards, Knudsen got past winger a couple of times but we didn't get bodies in for the crosses.

I'm not too worried, as think it just need a bit of a tweak to push us up the pitch - as when we do keep possession in final third we do work it about petty nicely

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:11 - Aug 22 with 3024 viewsBobbychase

We're getting a lot of set pieces - need to make more of them. WIth wingers we're forcing plenty of corners (double figures in the Rotherham game) but delivery is not good enough. Ward needs to either learn to take a pacy, inswinging corner or give the job to someone else.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Login to get fewer ads

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:13 - Aug 22 with 3013 viewsSWGF

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:02 - Aug 22 by itfcjoe

I think there has been a bit of an over reaction to last night - like you say first half was very decent and think we looked more likely. Ward has taken a bit of stick but thought that he was one of our better players in the first half - got us up the pitch well a couple of times and was much more effective than Edwards who didn't really get into it.

After half time we didn't really get going and didn't sustain any possession in their half. Thought we missed Skuse when he went off and that ironically forced us to sit even deeper as Downes looked a bit lost positionally.

The goal was an absolute killer, and being followed by the second was tough to take.

Thought JD was very good defensively but didn't offer anything really forwards, Knudsen got past winger a couple of times but we didn't get bodies in for the crosses.

I'm not too worried, as think it just need a bit of a tweak to push us up the pitch - as when we do keep possession in final third we do work it about petty nicely

Same as your last paragraph really.

Due to a forthcoming holiday, I've gorged and seen us, in the flesh, for all our league games so far and you can see what PH is trying to do but for whatever reason it's not quite clicking at the moment. Whether it's the players still gelling, the players not being fit enough or not being good enough, remains to be seen.

I think it's the centre forward that's pivotal to this. If he holds it up better, the midfield can support him better. If it's bouncing off and straight back to the opponent, nobody has a chance of getting close as they're reorganising themselves for a counter attack.

Problem being we don't currently have that player. Harrison isn't able to at the moment and Jackson simply isn't that type.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:13 - Aug 22 with 3008 viewsGuthrum

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 10:59 - Aug 22 by Lesta_Tractor

I agree with what you've said but think the last sentence should read...

'If we can fix the scoring problem, this team will be quite effective. '

If we can't fix it, we'll get relegated in 24th place. But no manager would leave a situation like that unremedied for the entire season (or if he looked like doing so, would probably no longer have a job).

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:16 - Aug 22 with 2989 viewschristiand

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 10:58 - Aug 22 by dirtyboy

I agree

I think Chalobah and Skuse need to define their role a bit more, one of those players needs to push up further on the offensive and trust the other who's sitting to allow Edwards and Ward/Edun to get further up the pitch as support.

Skuse has shown he can cover the pitch well and is more than capable of getting the ball to feet an extra 10 yards away if Chalobah is closer to Nolan.

As I see it, you should have Nolan with Skuse or Chalobah alongside him, Harrison in front and Edwards and Ward wide of them.

If you're not going to put Chalobah and Skuse further up, then Knudsen and Donacien need to be much more supportive when going forward and I think they stood off Derby too much, possibly as a result of their good start and being concerned about the amount of possession they had early doors. Sadly, we don't have a Kyle Walker type full back.

Our full backs pushing on was something we were doing during pre season, but that appears to have stopped which reduces our attacking options. Not sure why?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:18 - Aug 22 with 2981 viewsGuthrum

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:16 - Aug 22 by christiand

Our full backs pushing on was something we were doing during pre season, but that appears to have stopped which reduces our attacking options. Not sure why?

Knudsen, at least, spent a lot of time up by the opposition corner flag. Problem was more that he had few options in the box to aim at once there.

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:22 - Aug 22 with 2959 viewsSomethingBlue

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:02 - Aug 22 by itfcjoe

On Donacien — he looks a very good defender, doesn't he ... really solid and hard to get past in his last couple of games, against good opponents. Not sure about his effectiveness in the opponent's half although that was apparently a strength for Accrington so hopefully he will be able to show it here in time.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:29 - Aug 22 with 2914 viewshomer_123

Whilst we are clearly better with the ball, I still think we are a little slow and ponderous, too many touches needed and, as you say, as a unit getting forward not quick enough to support the front man.

Work in progress for sure and patience is needed. That being said, confidence will play a huge part, especially for the lads playing up a division or two. We need to scrape a win to be honest. Without confidence it is much harder to play further forward.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:51 - Aug 22 with 2838 viewsGuthrum

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:29 - Aug 22 by homer_123

Whilst we are clearly better with the ball, I still think we are a little slow and ponderous, too many touches needed and, as you say, as a unit getting forward not quick enough to support the front man.

Work in progress for sure and patience is needed. That being said, confidence will play a huge part, especially for the lads playing up a division or two. We need to scrape a win to be honest. Without confidence it is much harder to play further forward.

Very slow taking throw-ins, which I don't like.

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:53 - Aug 22 with 2828 viewsDanTheMan

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:51 - Aug 22 by Guthrum

Every time... Waited ages and then always went towards Harrison. Not sure what the idea was there.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 11:55]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:56 - Aug 22 with 2808 viewsMrTown

Exactly my thinking.

I would like to see us switch to a 4-3-3. With the wingers playing much higher. Ideally Edwards and Rowe flanking Harrison/Jackson. With one supporting from central midfield every time we want lack as much isolation.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 12:00 - Aug 22 with 2780 viewsIpswichKnight

Would a 4-1-3-1-1 system help more push Skuse or Chalobah into that central Midfield role and release Nolan to play behind the striker?

I will say our set pieces looked really lightweight again last night, same at Rotherham as well seems to be no pace on the ball going into the box and it's just floated in. Something for the training ground to whip the ball in with pace, yes we hit a lot of first defenders with it but when it cleared them we looked like scoring.
Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 12:02 - Aug 22 with 2769 viewsGuthrum

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:56 - Aug 22 by MrTown

Exactly my thinking.

I would like to see us switch to a 4-3-3. With the wingers playing much higher. Ideally Edwards and Rowe flanking Harrison/Jackson. With one supporting from central midfield every time we want lack as much isolation.

I tend to think we want more in the middle, 4-4-1-1, if you like. Something for the wide men to aim at, rather than drawing them infield.

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 12:07 - Aug 22 with 2742 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 10:57 - Aug 22 by noitan

The scoring bit is the difficult part.

and most essential.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 12:07 - Aug 22 with 2743 viewsLeagueOne

We can write up all day about how potentially good the team is but the reality is the results and performances are not there to substantiate this at present.

I want this to work as much as the next Town fan does, but the reality is we've looked weak overall and our front line looks out of it's depth at this level so far without pinning the blame on one player, we've been a wet fart in attack and error prone at the back, which is why we aren't getting good results.

We can't spend the season glossing over the facts because it's nice to think we have huge potential, because in two months time we could be in trouble if it's not fixed. Hurst needs to sign a established Championship standard striker on loan immediately, someone to poke goals in, because as things stand we seem beyond doing that and it's pretty basic stuff. This needs to be the priority now.

I as many did thought we looked reasonable against what was meant to be a good Villa side, but we looked poor compared to what is a very average Derby last night. Villa must be awful.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 12:22 - Aug 22 with 2701 viewsGuthrum

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 12:07 - Aug 22 by LeagueOne

We can write up all day about how potentially good the team is but the reality is the results and performances are not there to substantiate this at present.

I want this to work as much as the next Town fan does, but the reality is we've looked weak overall and our front line looks out of it's depth at this level so far without pinning the blame on one player, we've been a wet fart in attack and error prone at the back, which is why we aren't getting good results.

We can't spend the season glossing over the facts because it's nice to think we have huge potential, because in two months time we could be in trouble if it's not fixed. Hurst needs to sign a established Championship standard striker on loan immediately, someone to poke goals in, because as things stand we seem beyond doing that and it's pretty basic stuff. This needs to be the priority now.

I as many did thought we looked reasonable against what was meant to be a good Villa side, but we looked poor compared to what is a very average Derby last night. Villa must be awful.

But we won't be in trouble as soon as two months. If we're in the relegation zone and nothing has changed at the end of January, then we will be in the manure (but still not irretrievable even in that case).

It's still so early in the season that the table is virtually meaningless. With one or two exceptions, all teams are still feeling their way, trying to find their best squads. We do have time to get things right and there is, anyway, unlikely to be any magic wand quick fix.

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 12:35 - Aug 22 with 2662 viewshomer_123

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:51 - Aug 22 by Guthrum

It's been a problem for us for a many years now. The game has moved on, with teams being able to change the pace of the game. Play at extreme high tempo for periods before slowing it down again and so on.

We just don't seem able to do this.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 13:46 - Aug 22 with 2527 viewsGarv

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 12:07 - Aug 22 by LeagueOne

How can we be in trouble two months into the season?

Nonsense.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 13:55 - Aug 22 with 2488 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Nothing much wrong with the personnel out there last night on 11:53 - Aug 22 by DanTheMan

Every time... Waited ages and then always went towards Harrison. Not sure what the idea was there.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 11:55]

This annoyed me more than anything last night... Harrison does seem to win a lot in the air and it almost felt like throwing it long to Harrison was the last option once the player throwing the ball realised nobody else was moving for him.

If Harrison is going to win it, look to hit him quicker with it and get those other players around him for the knock down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024