Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans 07:25 - Aug 23 with 5813 viewspennblue

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/richest-owners-champ

Is he going to put his hand in his pocket? He can certainly afford to.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Evans on 07:38 - Aug 23 with 4354 viewsBenters2

Nah fk it we do it all on the cheap.
Evans on 07:42 - Aug 23 with 4350 viewspennblue

Evans on 07:38 - Aug 23 by Benters2

Nah fk it we do it all on the cheap.

He is clearly very careful with his pounds. So what is he going to do if the club in the relegation zone in October?

Purely from a business perspective, he is not going to want to see us go down.

I can see his hand being forced into putting some money in after years of underinvestment.

Evans on 07:45 - Aug 23 with 4343 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I’ve never understood this mentality.

It’s like saying that the worlds most profitable businesses should plough all the profits back into customer experience.

Marcus Evans is entitled to spend his money on whatever he chooses. I don’t blame him for running ITFC how he does. He could have wasted £50m more over the last 3 years doing what Derby did. Look at what Sunderland spent. Look at Stoke’s start.

He could put more money in. But the stay away supporters could also do so. We could all buy more merchandise. He’s chosen to put in £6m of his own money per season. That’s a huge amount.

If more investment guaranteed more success he’d be all over it. But it doesn’t. He actually went for that initially and it backfired. Why would he do that again?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Evans on 07:50 - Aug 23 with 4301 viewsBenters2

Evans on 07:42 - Aug 23 by pennblue

He is clearly very careful with his pounds. So what is he going to do if the club in the relegation zone in October?

Purely from a business perspective, he is not going to want to see us go down.

I can see his hand being forced into putting some money in after years of underinvestment.

Im not really confident he will spend da moneyz
Evans on 07:54 - Aug 23 with 4287 viewsBenters2

Evans on 07:45 - Aug 23 by WarkTheWarkITFC

It’s like saying that the worlds most profitable businesses should plough all the profits back into customer experience.

Marcus Evans is entitled to spend his money on whatever he chooses. I don’t blame him for running ITFC how he does. He could have wasted £50m more over the last 3 years doing what Derby did. Look at what Sunderland spent. Look at Stoke’s start.

He could put more money in. But the stay away supporters could also do so. We could all buy more merchandise. He’s chosen to put in £6m of his own money per season. That’s a huge amount.

If more investment guaranteed more success he’d be all over it. But it doesn’t. He actually went for that initially and it backfired. Why would he do that again?

While i agree £6m is a lot of money to pump in,sadly it isnt a lot in todays football world is it.

Said it hundreds of times,our chance was Jan 2015 he should have backed Mick Mac and told him to go for promotion big time,sadly he didnt and we are where we are now.
Evans on 08:00 - Aug 23 with 4262 viewspennblue

Evans on 07:45 - Aug 23 by WarkTheWarkITFC

For me, the point is, this is a football club. It is not a business. To make it successful, in this day and age, the more money you put in, the more likely the club will reap success.

If you are not willing to put money in, then you should not be buying a football club. If you want a business, then go and buy a oil company, or a load of property, or invest in some startups.

Evans on 08:04 - Aug 23 with 4233 viewsDanTheMan

He might be rich in terms of assets, but he might not be cash rich enough to bankroll mental spending.

Although I do think if we are going to compete he is going to have to dig deeper than he currently does, unless we continuously get lucky unearthing gems.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Evans on 08:22 - Aug 23 with 4154 viewsfabian_illness

I still think we’re lucky to have ME in charge.
We are run well within our means not haemorrhaging money like some.
We are still in debt, why double or triple that on a punt.
Like it or lump it, we are the most stable we’ve been for years.
Login to get fewer ads

Evans on 08:29 - Aug 23 with 4113 viewsRegencyBlue

Evans on 08:00 - Aug 23 by pennblue

For me, the point is, this is a football club. It is not a business. To make it successful, in this day and age, the more money you put in, the more likely the club will reap success.

If you are not willing to put money in, then you should not be buying a football club. If you want a business, then go and buy a oil company, or a load of property, or invest in some startups.

He bought us hoping to make money though.

Clearly the original plan was to buy the debt at a fraction of its face value, throw in a few million to get promoted and then, with access to the Premiership millions get paid back in full. He could then continue siphoning off money or sell us. Either way he would be quids in!

Since that blew up spectacularly in his face he hasn’t had a clue what to do with us as far as I can see.
Evans on 08:32 - Aug 23 with 4094 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

He’s bought a football club. He puts money in.

Your issue is that he doesn’t put more in. At what level GUARANTEES promotion? £100m? £200m?

Because any sum below that puts us in with West Brom, Stoke, Swansea, Leeds, Forest, Villa, Middlesbrough, Derby at least for two guaranteed places.

So you’d risk the future of the club for a few extra percent chance of going up? That’s like sticking your house value on a 5/1 bet. If you win you win big. If you lose you are screwed, homeless and most certainly divorced.

United have spent £400m over the last few years and gone backwards because other clubs have spent less and been clever with it. I believe Liverpool spent less on Salah, Mane and Firmino than United spent on Shaw, Bailly and Lindelof!

It’s about spending money wisely. How much will Gwion be worth after a good Championship season? At least £5m. You’d rather we spent £5m instead of £750k to buy the exact same player because it looks like it’s being more ambitious don’t you.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2018 8:41]

Evans on 08:47 - Aug 23 with 4011 viewspennblue

Evans on 08:32 - Aug 23 by WarkTheWarkITFC

He’s bought a football club. He puts money in.

Your issue is that he doesn’t put more in. At what level GUARANTEES promotion? £100m? £200m?

Because any sum below that puts us in with West Brom, Stoke, Swansea, Leeds, Forest, Villa, Middlesbrough, Derby at least for two guaranteed places.

So you’d risk the future of the club for a few extra percent chance of going up? That’s like sticking your house value on a 5/1 bet. If you win you win big. If you lose you are screwed, homeless and most certainly divorced.

United have spent £400m over the last few years and gone backwards because other clubs have spent less and been clever with it. I believe Liverpool spent less on Salah, Mane and Firmino than United spent on Shaw, Bailly and Lindelof!

It’s about spending money wisely. How much will Gwion be worth after a good Championship season? At least £5m. You’d rather we spent £5m instead of £750k to buy the exact same player because it looks like it’s being more ambitious don’t you.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2018 8:41]

I don't see how more investment would risk the future of the club, as long as it was done in a sensible and controller manner. If ME does not want to invest more then that is fine, but IMO he should either look for other investors to share the burden or look for a new owner.

People say this club is not attractive, but it is just as attractive as Wolves, Barnsley,Watford, Stoke City, WBA etc.. all who have multi billionaire backers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

Evans on 08:48 - Aug 23 with 4006 viewspennblue

Evans on 08:29 - Aug 23 by RegencyBlue

He bought us hoping to make money though.

Clearly the original plan was to buy the debt at a fraction of its face value, throw in a few million to get promoted and then, with access to the Premiership millions get paid back in full. He could then continue siphoning off money or sell us. Either way he would be quids in!

Since that blew up spectacularly in his face he hasn’t had a clue what to do with us as far as I can see.

I don't understand the 'he is sticking £6 million in a year, we should be happy mentality'. £6 million is peanuts in footballing terms.

Evans on 08:53 - Aug 23 with 3979 viewshomer_123

Evans on 08:48 - Aug 23 by pennblue

I don't understand the 'he is sticking £6 million in a year, we should be happy mentality'. £6 million is peanuts in footballing terms.

How much should he put in? Serious question.

£16m?
£60m?
£100m?
Limitless?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Evans on 08:55 - Aug 23 with 3972 viewspennblue

Evans on 08:53 - Aug 23 by homer_123

How much should he put in? Serious question.

£16m?
£60m?
£100m?
Limitless?

Yes I think £100m would be a bloody good start, absolutely.

Evans on 08:56 - Aug 23 with 3968 viewshomer_123

Evans on 08:55 - Aug 23 by pennblue

OK and what do you class as 'success'? What's the end point?
[Post edited 23 Aug 2018 8:56]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Evans on 08:57 - Aug 23 with 3965 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Evans on 08:48 - Aug 23 by pennblue

You seem to missing the point completely.

£6m can get you to 12th with a long shot of the playoffs if you have a good season.

The clubs around the top six are largely spending £30m a year and the majority of them do not get promotion.

So regardless of what £6m is you are asking for another £100m over 4 years whereby we have a better chance of promotion but still we’d be one of 10 clubs fighting over 2 guaranteed spots.

The issue isn’t what Evans spends. It’s the risk versus reward of what he’d have to spend to even be in with a chance, which simply isn’t worth the risk.

Hence we are going down the Brentford, Millwall, Sheff Utd route which is the sensible option.

Evans on 08:59 - Aug 23 with 3945 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Evans on 08:55 - Aug 23 by pennblue

So spend £100m to maybe get promoted and get £100m jackpot?

I’ll remind you next time I’m doing a raffle. You’ll buy 200 tickets trying to win the £150 hamper I bet.

Evans on 09:02 - Aug 23 with 3923 viewspennblue

Evans on 08:59 - Aug 23 by WarkTheWarkITFC

So spend £100m to maybe get promoted and get £100m jackpot?

I’ll remind you next time I’m doing a raffle. You’ll buy 200 tickets trying to win the £150 hamper I bet.

Football isn't a business, it never has been. These foreign investors are not pumping millions in so they make a profit, they are pumping in millions because they want to take their mates to the game and say "I own this football club, look at how rich and successful I am".

It's a thing extremely rich people do to 'play' and have fun. They have to spend it on something!

Evans on 09:08 - Aug 23 with 3894 viewsRadlett_blue

Evans on 08:22 - Aug 23 by fabian_illness

Not so. While we lose less money than many clubs in this league, losing £4m+ every year is not being "run well within our means".
However, the debt is near irrelevant as it is all owed to Evans or one of his companies & he knows he won't get it back unless we get promoted.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Evans on 09:18 - Aug 23 with 3861 viewssotd78

Let's put this in perspective.

Say for example your income is £50,000. How much of that can you spend each year on a hobby or interest? A grand; two? That's about 2% to 4%. If Evans was to spend 2% of his wealth that might mean about £15 million.

Now factor in there's a big prize at the end of your hobby year. A prize that might give you back all your hobby spending for years previous.

On this basis I'd say ME is under-investing in his interest/hobby.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Evans on 09:51 - Aug 23 with 3763 viewsmrbungle150

Evans on 09:18 - Aug 23 by sotd78

Let's put this in perspective.

Say for example your income is £50,000. How much of that can you spend each year on a hobby or interest? A grand; two? That's about 2% to 4%. If Evans was to spend 2% of his wealth that might mean about £15 million.

Now factor in there's a big prize at the end of your hobby year. A prize that might give you back all your hobby spending for years previous.

On this basis I'd say ME is under-investing in his interest/hobby.

Sorry, but unless ME is earning £300m per year, your maths is wrong.

You have used an example of someone spending 2-4% of their ANNUAL earnings and then applied it to ME's total worth. Therefore your example means that ME should have invested £15-30m in total to his hobby, not per annum.

In any case, the bottom line is that this is ME's personal wealth and if he chooses not to invest in the club, that is entirely his choice, whether we as fans of the club like it or not.
Evans on 10:40 - Aug 23 with 3671 viewsGuthrum

People need to understand how these wealth figures are calculated. I used to do a job which involved researching these kinds of people and assessing their potential to give to charity (which is quite similar to pouring money into a bottomless football club pit).

The vast majority of that £765m represents the share of Marcus Evans Group which he (and his family) owns. It is an entirely notional sum, based on a valuation of the business (somewhat speculative if not publicly listed, but a private company, especially if overseas) and how many shares are held (again, may include informed guesses if not in UK). This is not money he can spend, as such. Evans is highly unlikely to sell his business to fund Ipswich Town, nor would he get that much for it if he tried.

MEG is not some cash cow like effectively state-owned Middle/Far Eastern oil monopolies or Asian/Russian oligarchic trading empires. They have very different income streams and business environments.

There will also be a small proportion of property and other material assets. Most of his personal income will have gone into those, as a better investment than savings. Again, he's not going to sell his house(s) for ITFC, any more than an ordinary fan would.

I actually doubt he has much more than £5m spare every year to put in, even that might be stretching it.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Evans on 10:53 - Aug 23 with 3637 viewslegoman

This is a football club that he decided to save because no one else was going to. He didn't buy it for fun.

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

Evans on 10:56 - Aug 23 with 3615 viewsmrshallisfit

Evans on 08:22 - Aug 23 by fabian_illness

We have always been relatively stable, except for the overspend at the end of the first year back in the Premiership. We are slowly but surely sinkińg towards League 1. Evans either invests more now or we will go down. You feel grateful for that?
Evans on 11:00 - Aug 23 with 3599 viewsRadlett_blue

Evans on 10:53 - Aug 23 by legoman

This is a football club that he decided to save because no one else was going to. He didn't buy it for fun.

"Save"? We were doing OK at the time, despite financial constraints. Norwich Union would have taken a further haircut on the debt in any case & there were other potential buyers.
Evans bought Town as a speculative investment, not to do us all a favour.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024