Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watched every league game so far 10:04 - Aug 26 with 5500 viewstrncbluearmy

and Town for the most part have been the better team, undone by some uncharacteristic but very poor keeping,awful finishing and bad luck.
But generally the football has been very good and even at this low point do not regret getting rid of McCarthy one bit.
PH and this new team deserve our full support especially in this week leading up to the game against the scum.

Bring it on and do the barstwards

COYB
Watched every league game so far on 10:10 - Aug 26 with 4351 viewsartsbossbeard

I'm not criticising your viewpoint but could you outline what was good from a Town perspective about the Derby away game, please?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Watched every league game so far on 10:13 - Aug 26 with 4333 viewstractorshark

The problem is looking the better side is not the same as looking like scoring.
We seriously lack a threat up front. Jackson and Harrison need time but also competition from a proven striker at this level.
If Hurst can’t recrify that this week, we will struggle all season.
Watched every league game so far on 10:14 - Aug 26 with 4323 viewsSlambo

Watched every league game so far on 10:10 - Aug 26 by artsbossbeard

I'm not criticising your viewpoint but could you outline what was good from a Town perspective about the Derby away game, please?

The Derby game was flat and uninspiring, but we weren't outplayed, just undone again with two sloppy goals (which is nonetheless a problem that needs to be rectified, pronto). A draw would've been a fair result...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Watched every league game so far on 10:17 - Aug 26 with 4299 viewsartsbossbeard

Watched every league game so far on 10:14 - Aug 26 by Slambo

The Derby game was flat and uninspiring, but we weren't outplayed, just undone again with two sloppy goals (which is nonetheless a problem that needs to be rectified, pronto). A draw would've been a fair result...

That's fair. Would you agree though that once they scored the first, it was difficult to see where a town equaliser would've come from?

Personally, I'd have liked to see PH take a risk by taking off a midfielder and playing another upfront in an attempt to salvage things. Hopefully, if put in the same position again, this will happen.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Watched every league game so far on 10:17 - Aug 26 with 4308 viewshomer_123

There are encouraging signs.

The first 10 to 15 mins against Blackburn, Rothreham away, parts of the Villa game. But I think we need a dose of realism here.

For all the decent football we have played, we are being undone by being impotent up front and, dare I say it, the football looks better due to the fact the base was so low under Mick.

The football we are playing, style wise, is better than under Mick but we are still slow and ponderous at times, slow to push forward and support the lone striker. We still are not moving the ball quickly enough, requiring three or four touches or a long time to pick a pass.

Green shoots and there are some good signs. However, the cold reality is - these players need a result - even if it's an absolute shocker of a game and they luck out with 3 points.

Why?

Because, these players need confidence - most of them are playing up a level or two and without a win and a result to build confidence they are going to struggle.

I remain completely open minded and supportive of Hurst - it's clear to everyone what he is trying to do and it's still early days. In short, we need a bit of luck now. We have to get points on the board.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Watched every league game so far on 10:17 - Aug 26 with 4299 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Watched every league game so far on 10:14 - Aug 26 by Slambo

2 deflected goals also

But let’s just leave August there !
Watched every league game so far on 10:17 - Aug 26 with 4299 viewsreusersfreekicks

Great post - well done
Watched every league game so far on 01:36 - Aug 27 with 3941 viewsWednesdayJon

Respectfully,

Better at what?

Scoring?
Not Conceding?
Winning?

Sadly, they are the only aspects that ultimately matter.
Login to get fewer ads

Watched every league game so far on 02:58 - Aug 27 with 3912 viewspointofblue

Watched every league game so far on 01:36 - Aug 27 by WednesdayJon

Respectfully,

Better at what?

Scoring?
Not Conceding?
Winning?

Sadly, they are the only aspects that ultimately matter.

True but I think the belief from many is if we continue along this path we’ll be alright; we just need that win for confidence and more time on the training pitch for our players to gel. Of course on the flip side for some we’re already relegated due to the poor start!

One thing which the fans are embracing is we are more forward thinking than under McCarthy - we had 13 shots on goal at Hillsborough; we were rarely that offensive in home games last season, let alone away.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2018 3:07]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Watched every league game so far on 07:11 - Aug 27 with 3818 viewsWednesdayJon

Watched every league game so far on 02:58 - Aug 27 by pointofblue

True but I think the belief from many is if we continue along this path we’ll be alright; we just need that win for confidence and more time on the training pitch for our players to gel. Of course on the flip side for some we’re already relegated due to the poor start!

One thing which the fans are embracing is we are more forward thinking than under McCarthy - we had 13 shots on goal at Hillsborough; we were rarely that offensive in home games last season, let alone away.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2018 3:07]

Yep, i agree with you on all of that. From my point of view as an outsider looking in, you'll be fine in the long run.
But it requires patience, as we all know. Thetrouble is, us fans are NOT patient. For all our desire to see slick, 'pleasing on the eye' passing football, we also want to see WINNING football. Managers don't survive or fall on the 'quality' of the football their teams play.They are ultimately measured, WE fans measure their success, on the win/points ratio.
If McCarthy's football had got you into the top sixlast season, playing the same football, he would still be your manager. It was, in the end, results which did for him.
Watched every league game so far on 07:50 - Aug 27 with 3725 viewsReuser_is_God

Watched every league game so far on 07:11 - Aug 27 by WednesdayJon

Yep, i agree with you on all of that. From my point of view as an outsider looking in, you'll be fine in the long run.
But it requires patience, as we all know. Thetrouble is, us fans are NOT patient. For all our desire to see slick, 'pleasing on the eye' passing football, we also want to see WINNING football. Managers don't survive or fall on the 'quality' of the football their teams play.They are ultimately measured, WE fans measure their success, on the win/points ratio.
If McCarthy's football had got you into the top sixlast season, playing the same football, he would still be your manager. It was, in the end, results which did for him.

Fortunately Hurst is at a club that will give him that time & patience.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Watched every league game so far on 07:52 - Aug 27 with 3713 viewsReuser_is_God

Watched every league game so far on 10:17 - Aug 26 by artsbossbeard

That's fair. Would you agree though that once they scored the first, it was difficult to see where a town equaliser would've come from?

Personally, I'd have liked to see PH take a risk by taking off a midfielder and playing another upfront in an attempt to salvage things. Hopefully, if put in the same position again, this will happen.

In fairness to Hurst he did start with his 2 strikers on Saturday.

Doesn’t change the fact he should’ve done it at Derby though.

The loan signings we make this week could be key, similar to when Royle bought in Bart-Williams & Alan Mahon.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Watched every league game so far on 08:18 - Aug 27 with 3646 viewsVic

Watched every league game so far on 10:17 - Aug 26 by homer_123

The first 10 to 15 mins against Blackburn, Rothreham away, parts of the Villa game. But I think we need a dose of realism here.

For all the decent football we have played, we are being undone by being impotent up front and, dare I say it, the football looks better due to the fact the base was so low under Mick.

The football we are playing, style wise, is better than under Mick but we are still slow and ponderous at times, slow to push forward and support the lone striker. We still are not moving the ball quickly enough, requiring three or four touches or a long time to pick a pass.

Green shoots and there are some good signs. However, the cold reality is - these players need a result - even if it's an absolute shocker of a game and they luck out with 3 points.

Why?

Because, these players need confidence - most of them are playing up a level or two and without a win and a result to build confidence they are going to struggle.

I remain completely open minded and supportive of Hurst - it's clear to everyone what he is trying to do and it's still early days. In short, we need a bit of luck now. We have to get points on the board.

A drop in confidence has always been my fear. I’m sure these players have the individual ability for this league, but if a few start to struggle, eespecially the strikers who we have so little cover for, we could be in big big trouble.

Midfield we are well covered for, and even in defence where we’ve seen that Kenlock, woolfie, Smith, spence are all able to hold their own in this league.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Watched every league game so far on 08:43 - Aug 27 with 3586 viewsITFC_Forever

Fine margins and bad luck in one game is one thing, but when it reoccurs in multiple games, when does it become the fact we’re not good enough yet.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Watched every league game so far on 08:52 - Aug 27 with 3565 viewsElephantintheRoom

Alas your rose-tinted specs have blinkers on them. Town have been weak in every departmen and are bottom on merit. Although the table is supposed to be meaningless right now, 6 of the top 8 will be in the top 6 and 6 of the bottom 8 will be in the bottom 6 at season's end. Town are firm(ish) favourites for the third relegation slot chasing Rotherham and Reading into the third division. That seems reasonable at present. Remember this time last year when Town had played equally poor opposition? That's a spectacular fall that is completelyself-inflicted. Can't get excited about the Norwich game, both teams are very, very poor. At least they can look forward to a new manager providing a brief dead cat bounce at some point before Xmas.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Watched every league game so far on 09:14 - Aug 27 with 3516 viewsPJH

I have also seen every league game and I would say that we only really deserve to be one point better off.
Did not deserve to lose at either Rotherham or Sheffield W but Blackburn should have gone 3-1 up and killed the first game.
We looked the poorer of two very ordinary looking teams at Derby.
Villa result was probably right on the day but could have lost that one too late on.
We look very vulnerable at all dead ball situations defensively and are missing most of the few chances that are being created.
Watched every league game so far on 10:14 - Aug 27 with 3445 viewsBrixtonBlue

Well said. Too many panicking on here after 5 games.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Watched every league game so far on 10:25 - Aug 27 with 3426 viewschristiand

Watched every league game so far on 10:13 - Aug 26 by tractorshark

The problem is looking the better side is not the same as looking like scoring.
We seriously lack a threat up front. Jackson and Harrison need time but also competition from a proven striker at this level.
If Hurst can’t recrify that this week, we will struggle all season.

Spot on! It's a concern both ends of the pitch for me. We don't seem to be creating many good chances in our games and then haven't got the quality to actually score them when they arise. In addition, the amount of soft goals we continually are conceding in all our games so far is a recipe for disaster. PH has got a real job on his hands because we look a soft touch and one of the weaker sides in this division at the moment.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Watched every league game so far on 10:33 - Aug 27 with 3410 viewschristiand

Watched every league game so far on 10:17 - Aug 26 by homer_123

Why?

Alvin Martin was saying the same thing yesterday on the radio Homer, when you are playing in a side that struggles to create or score goals. 'It really puts the defence under pressure as you know you've got to keep a clean sheet because if the opposition score, we're in trouble!'

That's us at the moment.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Watched every league game so far on 10:46 - Aug 27 with 3362 viewsstewartm

I thought we were toothless against Blackburn and also very lucky to get a point.

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Watched every league game so far on 10:57 - Aug 27 with 3325 viewsBrixtonBlue

Watched every league game so far on 10:46 - Aug 27 by stewartm

I thought we were toothless against Blackburn and also very lucky to get a point.

Gotta be the first time I've ever seen a 2-2 draw described as "toothless". How many goals did you want?!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Watched every league game so far on 11:35 - Aug 27 with 3251 viewsbraveblue

Well said.
Watched every league game so far on 11:42 - Aug 27 with 3235 viewsAYACCA

I havent been to any games or seen any matches this season but i will say we are ITFC the greatest team ever.
Watched every league game so far on 12:32 - Aug 27 with 3153 viewsMrTown

Watched every league game so far on 10:10 - Aug 26 by artsbossbeard

Agreed, a more balanced view is that we have been good in patches and poor in patches throughout matches but never really threatening at any point.

Noticeably first half against Derby where we looked comfortable but not threatening. Likewise against Sheffield Wed up until the sending off.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Watched every league game so far on 12:47 - Aug 27 with 3099 viewsBrixtonBlue

Watched every league game so far on 12:32 - Aug 27 by MrTown

Agreed, a more balanced view is that we have been good in patches and poor in patches throughout matches but never really threatening at any point.

Noticeably first half against Derby where we looked comfortable but not threatening. Likewise against Sheffield Wed up until the sending off.

Not threatening?! We hit the inside of the post, their keeper made an excellent one handed save, Morrison clean through but too slow to pull the trigger, 13 shots all told.. how can any of this be described as "not threatening"?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024