Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hurst trying to get Bart to come and catch.... 09:40 - Aug 28 with 1443 viewsBanburyBlue

I was watching Bart warm up pre West Ham game and the coach was getting him to come out and catch the high ball instead of punch! IMO a good idea but another reason for an early season error or 2 !! Bart has never been great with a high ball and the error on Saturday was maybe because of this......

Banbury Blue Back in Town

Hurst trying to get Bart to come and catch.... on 10:11 - Aug 28 with 1343 viewschristiand

Dealing with crosses is the hardest part of goalkeeping for me, apart from the mental challenge. Positionally, knowing when to come and collect and equally realising when it is best for the defence to deal with it. The top keepers make it look easy, like Courtois (who played a lot of handball when he was younger, that must be an advantage), while others struggle. Just think it is one of those aspects that needs constant daily practice on the training ground, getting the academy lads just constantly crossing the ball in from stationary positions, from moving balls and at different trajectories so it becomes more a habit and installs better judgement. Think Bart is struggling with this and perhaps is being asked to do more by PH as you say, therefore forcing the issue and perhaps making mistakes because he feels he has to come to make up for the last error. Bart just misjudged the flight for both those corners on Saturday and just rushed out without giving himself that time to calculate the flight.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Hurst trying to get Bart to come and catch.... on 12:48 - Aug 28 with 1199 viewsArnieM

...Old dog, new tricks scenario, I'm afraid.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Hurst trying to get Bart to come and catch.... on 13:12 - Aug 28 with 1135 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Hurst trying to get Bart to come and catch.... on 10:11 - Aug 28 by christiand

Dealing with crosses is the hardest part of goalkeeping for me, apart from the mental challenge. Positionally, knowing when to come and collect and equally realising when it is best for the defence to deal with it. The top keepers make it look easy, like Courtois (who played a lot of handball when he was younger, that must be an advantage), while others struggle. Just think it is one of those aspects that needs constant daily practice on the training ground, getting the academy lads just constantly crossing the ball in from stationary positions, from moving balls and at different trajectories so it becomes more a habit and installs better judgement. Think Bart is struggling with this and perhaps is being asked to do more by PH as you say, therefore forcing the issue and perhaps making mistakes because he feels he has to come to make up for the last error. Bart just misjudged the flight for both those corners on Saturday and just rushed out without giving himself that time to calculate the flight.

Totally agree. The other problem is that it is almost impossible to replicate the match day pressure. Its one thing to come and collect crosses in training, when you might spill a few but there are no consequences. On match days it is completely different, particularly if his confidence isn't that great.. I think that it has to become like second nature to come and catch these balls, but that probably needs to start at a much younger age.

Personally I would rather see him try and command his box and accept that there will be the occasional cock up rather than the present situation where he looks like a rabbit in headlights at every set piece near our box. Grobelaar used to be brilliant to commanding his box, but would then throw in the occasional major rick. Liverpool stood by him because they could see the massive positives of a man who on the whole controlled his area.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Hurst trying to get Bart to come and catch.... on 14:12 - Aug 28 with 1029 viewsFacefacts

Hurst trying to get Bart to come and catch.... on 13:12 - Aug 28 by southnorfolkblue

Totally agree. The other problem is that it is almost impossible to replicate the match day pressure. Its one thing to come and collect crosses in training, when you might spill a few but there are no consequences. On match days it is completely different, particularly if his confidence isn't that great.. I think that it has to become like second nature to come and catch these balls, but that probably needs to start at a much younger age.

Personally I would rather see him try and command his box and accept that there will be the occasional cock up rather than the present situation where he looks like a rabbit in headlights at every set piece near our box. Grobelaar used to be brilliant to commanding his box, but would then throw in the occasional major rick. Liverpool stood by him because they could see the massive positives of a man who on the whole controlled his area.

Bart may need help from an experienced goalkeeping coach. The way things have worked out is that we now have a worse goalkeeper than last year and we are paid him top dollar to keep him. Bring in Peter Schmeichel as loan player/coach and he might even put his gloves back on to set an example - then watch us draw Leicester City in the FA Cup. I can dream..!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024