Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another Ipswich pub bites the dust 21:39 - Aug 28 with 26663 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Swan. RIP.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 21:43 - Aug 28 with 8017 viewsMugwump

But it proves how not to run a pub really. Arcade next door is twice the price and always busy.

I suppose the poor service, awful beer and pissy floors don't help.
Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 21:46 - Aug 28 with 7971 viewsSpruceMoose

When did it close?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 21:46 - Aug 28 with 7980 viewsgainsboroughblue

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 21:43 - Aug 28 by Mugwump

But it proves how not to run a pub really. Arcade next door is twice the price and always busy.

I loved and hated the Swan in equal measure. A decent music scene and usually good atmosphere in there and in the garden. But has consistently been let down by poorly kept beer and even worse service at times. The toilets have improved since the urine paddling pools of the 90s but still not great.

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 21:47 - Aug 28 with 7972 viewsgainsboroughblue

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 21:46 - Aug 28 by SpruceMoose

When did it close?

Literally today, and from what I've heard from people close to the situation, without any warning.

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 21:49 - Aug 28 with 7945 viewsReuser_is_God

I’m not surprised really.

I’m not one who cares much for facilities & pleasantness of pubs but that place is an utter hole.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 21:56 - Aug 28 with 7894 viewsitfcjoe

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 21:49 - Aug 28 by Reuser_is_God

I’m not surprised really.

I’m not one who cares much for facilities & pleasantness of pubs but that place is an utter hole.

I quite liken The Swan and often go there when out as like the atmosphere, buit it is disgusting in there at times, the toilets are utterly rank

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:00 - Aug 28 with 7844 viewsgainsboroughblue

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 21:56 - Aug 28 by itfcjoe

I quite liken The Swan and often go there when out as like the atmosphere, buit it is disgusting in there at times, the toilets are utterly rank

They used to be a million times worse. Utterly gag reflux worthy.

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:02 - Aug 28 with 7826 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah I always had a decent time in there too but, as mentioned, the place is horrible.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:03 - Aug 28 with 7819 viewsJakeITFC

That’s a real shame, nowhere like it in Ipswich, and another (the final?) nail in the coffin of the Ipswich music scene, poor as it was.
Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:04 - Aug 28 with 7816 viewsDubtractor

That's a shame as it leaves a huge hole in the Ipswich live music scene.

For all of the legitimate grumbles about hygiene, they played have played a huge role in live music in Ipswich over the last 10 years or so, giving a platform to loads of local, and not so local, up and coming acts.

Sad times.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:05 - Aug 28 with 7799 viewsitfcjoe

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:03 - Aug 28 by JakeITFC

That’s a real shame, nowhere like it in Ipswich, and another (the final?) nail in the coffin of the Ipswich music scene, poor as it was.

We are potentially putting a new music area into a town centre pub in upcoming weeks which could replace it well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:06 - Aug 28 with 7786 viewsMugwump

I last went in a couple of years ago and daren't drink any draught beer. As someone mentioned earlier it used to be quite good.

Pretty sure it shared owners with Mannings a few years back. I can't believe the lack of investment in high profile town centre pubs. Mannings should be the complete focal point of the town, it should be the most vibrant place.
Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:08 - Aug 28 with 7763 viewsgainsboroughblue

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:03 - Aug 28 by JakeITFC

Ironically, the Ipswich music scene has been its healthiest in years recently. So many bands from different parts of the country and even europe were booked for this year and into next. It's a real shame from that perspective as I know the guy who promotes and organises.

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:09 - Aug 28 with 7732 viewsJakeITFC

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:05 - Aug 28 by itfcjoe

We are potentially putting a new music area into a town centre pub in upcoming weeks which could replace it well

Yeah, remember you saying the other day.

The Swan was good for its variety - guitar music will always find a home somewhere but hopefully the rap scene can find a new place to go (with Pump and Grind a big loss in that regard also).
Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:11 - Aug 28 with 7695 viewsIllinoisblue

that is a shame. spent many a drunken day and night in there pre and post footy

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:12 - Aug 28 with 7686 viewsFunge

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:04 - Aug 28 by Dubtractor

That's a shame as it leaves a huge hole in the Ipswich live music scene.

For all of the legitimate grumbles about hygiene, they played have played a huge role in live music in Ipswich over the last 10 years or so, giving a platform to loads of local, and not so local, up and coming acts.

Sad times.

Yeah this is a sad post.

Would echo both yours and others comments in this thread - brilliant pub when they've got a good live band on (which is quite regularly), but the toilets are medieval.

Used to be a sensational pub when that Joe bloke ran it (c. 5 years ago), and has got steadily worse since.

Town centre is pretty weak for drinks. Arcade is OK, and I like the Spread; otherwise now fairly lame.
Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:13 - Aug 28 with 7677 viewsDubtractor

That's encouraging, but really it all comes down to the promoters and what they want to do with it.

When Hollywoods relaunched as a music venue I had high hopes, likewise the old Neptune Pool club, but both just booked a stream of generic covers/tribute bands and inevitably fizzled out to nothing.

The Swan always pushed new and original stuff, and they deserve a huge amount of respect for doing so.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:15 - Aug 28 with 7650 viewsMugwump

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:13 - Aug 28 by Dubtractor

That's encouraging, but really it all comes down to the promoters and what they want to do with it.

When Hollywoods relaunched as a music venue I had high hopes, likewise the old Neptune Pool club, but both just booked a stream of generic covers/tribute bands and inevitably fizzled out to nothing.

The Swan always pushed new and original stuff, and they deserve a huge amount of respect for doing so.

Are people suggesting it won't reopen?

Might be a breath of fresh air if and when it does.
Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:15 - Aug 28 with 7649 viewsjeera

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 21:43 - Aug 28 by Mugwump

It was one of the places to be when I was teen.

Packed of a weekend and a pleasant place to have a drink with the GF during the week.

I was in Ipswich a couple of years ago and dropped in...

My word. It was the opposite of everything I remembered. Disgusting sh*thole.

The owners should have been ashamed.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:18 - Aug 28 with 7626 viewsFunge

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:15 - Aug 28 by jeera

It was one of the places to be when I was teen.

Packed of a weekend and a pleasant place to have a drink with the GF during the week.

I was in Ipswich a couple of years ago and dropped in...

My word. It was the opposite of everything I remembered. Disgusting sh*thole.

The owners should have been ashamed.

Indeed, Jeers.

Barstaff there didn't give one fck about the place. Damn shame, but it's been coming....
Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:24 - Aug 28 with 7567 viewsjeera

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:18 - Aug 28 by Funge

Indeed, Jeers.

Barstaff there didn't give one fck about the place. Damn shame, but it's been coming....

We'll have to swap a few names sometime.

We probably knew the same people. Mind you, the same probably goes for several on here.

For all its issues, Ipswich town centre wasn't so bad back then. It had its tossers, but generally speaking it was a happy, good vibe place to be.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:27 - Aug 28 with 7544 viewsSitfcB

Mannings?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:31 - Aug 28 with 7511 viewsAnewHop

Despite a reasonable selection of ale I’ve never had a decent pint there. Sticky floor doesn’t hale either.
Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:33 - Aug 28 with 7488 viewsFunge

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:24 - Aug 28 by jeera

We'll have to swap a few names sometime.

We probably knew the same people. Mind you, the same probably goes for several on here.

For all its issues, Ipswich town centre wasn't so bad back then. It had its tossers, but generally speaking it was a happy, good vibe place to be.

Late 90s/ early noughties - Towun was mainly decent.

Hollywoods/ Kartouche was always pretty good, Traders next door; used to get some big Garage/ DnB DJs there. Opium Lounge was first class; Sereni's wife lived behind the DJ booth in a very plush apartment.

Distinction/ Sound Academy had good nights, with decent names; Curve was loud enough, with many good-looking barstaff; hell, even Pals had £1 pints most nights during the week. Hell,you could even get 3 bottles of Thatchers Perry in the Golden Lion for a fiver; I know someone who did a dump in the sink there once.

I blame Darren Currie for everything since.
Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:40 - Aug 28 with 7441 viewsstonojnr

Another Ipswich pub bites the dust on 22:15 - Aug 28 by Mugwump

Are people suggesting it won't reopen?

Might be a breath of fresh air if and when it does.

its owned by Enterprise Inns I believe, so yes it will reopen again when they find a new tennant to run it, if they think its a place that can earn decent money they might ship a temporary landlord in rather than have it shut for too long.

but the reason these places close, ie the landlord quits the lease, in the first place is because the lease deals the tennants sign are weighted in favour of the pubco, so the staff dont give a xxxx because they are barely making any money from it, and theres no money to improve the place, and even if you do start to be popular, the pubco extracts more money from you.

so it just usually spirals as it slowly becomes a place less people want to go, so they make less money, so it becomes even less a place people want to go, and makes less money and so on. could well be September is a rent review point and hike up, as its not the only pub Ive heard shut suddenly over the weekend (not in Ipswich)

Id agree the beer quality had dropped, it wasnt too bad, for the kind of pub it was last year, but Ive gone to just staring through the window at it as I just walked pass to the Tavern instead, the live music wasnt my thing as I always felt it was far too loud. I like hearing

shame as yeah the toilets were terrible in the 90s, the cock & pyes were worst back then, but it was a popular pub and especially a football crowd pub. and it is the kind of pub you look at and think it should be packed given its location even with competition, but that brings you back to square one and the lease and Im sure the pubco not just expected, but insisted on the same.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024