Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walters – I like that a lot 15:32 - Aug 29 with 5332 viewsSomethingBlue

Excellent one to get done if we can. Presumably he'll mainly be here to add an option off the bench and should still have some legs to do what he's good at — hustling defenders, bringing people into the game, winning headers and combining with people around him. Great character to have in the dressing room and can only help the guys we've brought in. Yes please.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:36 - Aug 29 with 4331 viewsKieran_Knows

YeAh, BUT?!!?!?!?!?! HE'Z 34!!!!!!!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:37 - Aug 29 with 4300 viewsHerbivore

My first reaction was that I felt a little unsure about this one. Having had a few minutes to think about it then I think it's ideal in many respects. He knows the club and he's a good character. He's still got enough about him to give us another (and different) option. Importantly, he won't be expecting to play every week and so won't mean our two permanent signings up front are shunted to the fringes. And finally he's the ideal person for our new boys to learn from in terms of how to successfully step up to this league from the levels below. Lots of reasons why this makes sense in terms of what we're looking to build long term whilst needing to pick up in the short term too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:38 - Aug 29 with 4304 viewsSomethingBlue

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:36 - Aug 29 by Kieran_Knows

YeAh, BUT?!!?!?!?!?! HE'Z 34!!!!!!!

He's actually already played 90 minutes in the Europa League this season — didn't realise that — so it suggests he's in decent shape and can make the bench on Sunday. I think this is absolutely ideal: he has attributes we really don't have, has years of top-flight and international experience, and won't be expecting/expected to run around from the start each week.

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:40 - Aug 29 with 4273 viewsSomethingBlue

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:37 - Aug 29 by Herbivore

My first reaction was that I felt a little unsure about this one. Having had a few minutes to think about it then I think it's ideal in many respects. He knows the club and he's a good character. He's still got enough about him to give us another (and different) option. Importantly, he won't be expecting to play every week and so won't mean our two permanent signings up front are shunted to the fringes. And finally he's the ideal person for our new boys to learn from in terms of how to successfully step up to this league from the levels below. Lots of reasons why this makes sense in terms of what we're looking to build long term whilst needing to pick up in the short term too.

Exactly — to all those things. For what we need right now I actually think it could hardly be better (within our obvious constraints).

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:40 - Aug 29 with 4270 viewsitfcjoe

I never really rated him particularly highly when he was here, and was surprised at how good a career he went on to carve out.

But think this is a decent signing, ticks a lot of boxes and a good character to have around the place at the right stage of career to not be a roadblock to the new signings etc.

I preferred him out wide than up front

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:40 - Aug 29 with 4267 viewsSteve_M

Yes, all of that plus enough of a boost to perk the mood up around the place.

He could make up for missing that good chance at Carrow Road in 08-09 too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:40 - Aug 29 with 4262 viewslowhouseblue

exactly what we need. experienced, calm head, quality player and will have an impact at this level.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:44 - Aug 29 with 4187 viewsHerbivore

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:40 - Aug 29 by itfcjoe

I never really rated him particularly highly when he was here, and was surprised at how good a career he went on to carve out.

But think this is a decent signing, ticks a lot of boxes and a good character to have around the place at the right stage of career to not be a roadblock to the new signings etc.

I preferred him out wide than up front

He was better out wide here but went on to do well in the Prem playing up top so I imagine he's a better centre forward now than he was when he left us. I think it's a good signing for all the reasons discussed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:47 - Aug 29 with 4156 viewsFixed_It

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:40 - Aug 29 by SomethingBlue

Exactly — to all those things. For what we need right now I actually think it could hardly be better (within our obvious constraints).

He's also the type who will undoubtedly have looked after himself too.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:50 - Aug 29 with 4116 viewsjeera

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:38 - Aug 29 by SomethingBlue

He's actually already played 90 minutes in the Europa League this season — didn't realise that — so it suggests he's in decent shape and can make the bench on Sunday. I think this is absolutely ideal: he has attributes we really don't have, has years of top-flight and international experience, and won't be expecting/expected to run around from the start each week.

As he's played in the comp already, will that mean he's prohibited from our Europa cup run this season?

You could be right. He may have a real influence around the place, we are lacking just that kind of character.

I'm just never sure about 2nd visits to a club, though of course we've had one or 2 famously successful ones in the past.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:56 - Aug 29 with 4051 viewsMullet

He'll run his guts out for us. He at least might take some of the burden off of the two new lads and show them a few things.

There's also the fact he can play across the 3 when needed.

With the derby coming up and the fact he should have undoubted love for us, as fans will him it's the perfect time to bring him in to the fold and help turn things around. But that's possibly the nostalgia talking over common sense.

Does this mean we go into the next month without CB cover or does Edun/Chalobah drop out from time to time? Assuming Emmanuel and Spence really aren't trusted.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:31 - Aug 29 with 3922 viewsrickw

Yep I'm very happy if we do this deal.
Yes he's old now, but he would know exactly what he'd be getting himself into here - he knows the club, the area and the Championship - and as I'm sure we'd pay less than what Burnley would in the Prem he wouldn't be coming here for the money!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:31 - Aug 29 with 3917 viewsITFC_Forever

Walters — I like that a lot on 15:56 - Aug 29 by Mullet

He'll run his guts out for us. He at least might take some of the burden off of the two new lads and show them a few things.

There's also the fact he can play across the 3 when needed.

With the derby coming up and the fact he should have undoubted love for us, as fans will him it's the perfect time to bring him in to the fold and help turn things around. But that's possibly the nostalgia talking over common sense.

Does this mean we go into the next month without CB cover or does Edun/Chalobah drop out from time to time? Assuming Emmanuel and Spence really aren't trusted.

Wolfy on the way back and a new CB on loan.

(Counts in head: Dona, Edun, Chalobah, Graham, Walters, new CB). One of them will have to miss out until Dona's paperwork is sorted.

I guess it depends on how Toto's appeal goes... if he remains suspended, the new CB will have to play on Sunday, with probably Edun missing out.

If Toto's red is over-turned, I suspect new CB will miss out on Sunday.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:32 - Aug 29 with 3914 viewschicoazul

If only we hadn't sold our own experienced hard working hustling header-winning combination player centre forward who is 3 years younger and actually scored a few last season, eh.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:34 - Aug 29 with 3898 viewsSomethingBlue

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:32 - Aug 29 by chicoazul

If only we hadn't sold our own experienced hard working hustling header-winning combination player centre forward who is 3 years younger and actually scored a few last season, eh.

Yeah but I don't really rate Garner.

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:42 - Aug 29 with 3835 viewschicoazul

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:34 - Aug 29 by SomethingBlue

Yeah but I don't really rate Garner.

I know we are already at emergency stations being bottom of the league with no wins but this seems like such a painful, short term move that would have been militated by not selling Garner in the first place. Garner scored goals and does everything you say Walters does (or did) and he was our player but Hurst in his endless wisdom decided what we really needed was a load of lower league youngsters instead, one or even two of whom will presumably make way for Walters now.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:49 - Aug 29 with 3781 viewswaveneyblue

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:42 - Aug 29 by chicoazul

I know we are already at emergency stations being bottom of the league with no wins but this seems like such a painful, short term move that would have been militated by not selling Garner in the first place. Garner scored goals and does everything you say Walters does (or did) and he was our player but Hurst in his endless wisdom decided what we really needed was a load of lower league youngsters instead, one or even two of whom will presumably make way for Walters now.

When are people going to realise that Garner wanted to go back North ? Hence he was transferred whilst injured....
Walters — I like that a lot on 16:50 - Aug 29 with 3776 viewsjudespiveyg

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:32 - Aug 29 by chicoazul

Yeah but we got £1,250,000 for a 31 year old who just had his best ever championship season with 10 goals, and replaced him with a loanee who was injured last year meaning he didn't score but has years of prem experience. Two sides to every story.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:50 - Aug 29 with 3773 viewsSomethingBlue

Nah, Walters will be used off the bench for 30 minutes at a time as plan B. He'll be happy with that and it's the perfect solution to give a bit of support to the new lads while not hindering their development.

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:50 - Aug 29 with 3772 viewschicoazul

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:49 - Aug 29 by waveneyblue

When are people going to realise that Garner wanted to go back North ? Hence he was transferred whilst injured....

Who cares? We have turned down big bids for players before.

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:52 - Aug 29 with 3749 viewschicoazul

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:50 - Aug 29 by SomethingBlue

Nah, Walters will be used off the bench for 30 minutes at a time as plan B. He'll be happy with that and it's the perfect solution to give a bit of support to the new lads while not hindering their development.

We'll see.

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:58 - Aug 29 with 3708 viewsSamWhiteUK

Walters — I like that a lot on 16:50 - Aug 29 by chicoazul

Who cares? We have turned down big bids for players before.

Oh and I'm sure he would have been well chuffed with us then and wanted to play...
Walters — I like that a lot on 17:01 - Aug 29 with 3689 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

A move for Walters makes no sense in January if we are 14th and not going up or down in all reality.

A move for Walters when we are bottom and lost experience strikers in Waghorn (wanted to leave), McGoldrick (wanted to leave) and Garner (wanted to leave) to compete with Harrison and Jackson (both of whom are promising but have never scored at this level), makes perfect sense when we will have to go with what we have until January.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Walters — I like that a lot on 17:11 - Aug 29 with 3654 viewschicoazul

Walters — I like that a lot on 17:01 - Aug 29 by WarkTheWarkITFC

A move for Walters makes no sense in January if we are 14th and not going up or down in all reality.

A move for Walters when we are bottom and lost experience strikers in Waghorn (wanted to leave), McGoldrick (wanted to leave) and Garner (wanted to leave) to compete with Harrison and Jackson (both of whom are promising but have never scored at this level), makes perfect sense when we will have to go with what we have until January.

We had no choice with McG but we could have told Garner to sit tight just as we did with McG when Leicester bid for him and Mings when Palace bid for him. Instead Hurst chose to let him go and we are now replacing him with someone much older on loan who has hardly played and not scored recently. Garner would have been the perfect Plan B that everyone talks about us needing (presumably because Plan A is abject).

Walters — I like that a lot on 17:12 - Aug 29 with 3647 viewsFrimleyBlue

My issue is 94 minutes of action over 5 sub appearences last season due to... and this is my issue Re-accuring Knee problems.

At 34... is that knee issue suddenly going to disappear?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024