Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD runners.... 12:30 - Aug 31 with 1941 viewsITFC_Forever

Away from all the football nonsense....

When is the "right" time to replace your running shoes?

I bought a pair of Karrimor (yes, I know) last Spring when I started running and they're starting to show wear in parts on the sole (tread has completely gone in some parts).

By my rough calculations, I reckon I've done just over 500 miles in them, and a quick google would suggest now is the time to replace them....any more informed opinions from the TWTD massif?

(Yes, I will go to Coes / somewhere with the running machine to find the most suitable pair for my gait / weight etc.)

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

TWTD runners.... on 12:33 - Aug 31 with 1937 viewsGlebeTractor

I normally change around every 300 miles.

Or at least your insoles, after all, the way the NHS is going, Knee replacements will cost a bomb soon.

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

TWTD runners.... on 13:12 - Aug 31 with 1878 viewspennyfathersleg

I change mine after about 500 miles. Depends on the brand and your running style though really. Usually between 300 and 500 miles.

I’d suggest you change yours now though otherwise those nasty nigglesand injuries start to arrive!
TWTD runners.... on 13:14 - Aug 31 with 1869 viewsSwansea_Blue

Some people would say ditch them altogether as shoes cause more problems than they solve.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

TWTD runners.... on 14:07 - Aug 31 with 1806 viewsAlong

When they have holes in / falling apart, try running trails / on grass, will have far bigger impact on keeping injuries at bay than getting new fancy trainers
TWTD runners.... on 14:13 - Aug 31 with 1789 viewsSteve_M

Yes, go and get some decent ones. 500 miles is a lot anyway but you may well run differently now given you started from such a low base.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

TWTD runners.... on 14:19 - Aug 31 with 1778 viewsAlong

TWTD runners.... on 12:33 - Aug 31 by GlebeTractor

I normally change around every 300 miles.

Or at least your insoles, after all, the way the NHS is going, Knee replacements will cost a bomb soon.

Seriously every 300 miles? That's just when mine are getting comfy. I'd be buying 8 pairs of trainers a year.
TWTD runners.... on 14:22 - Aug 31 with 1774 viewsGlebeTractor

TWTD runners.... on 14:19 - Aug 31 by Along

Seriously every 300 miles? That's just when mine are getting comfy. I'd be buying 8 pairs of trainers a year.

Active job. Means I get through a lot more.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2018 14:22]

TWTD runners.... on 14:22 - Aug 31 with 1771 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Starting to wonder the same myself. I think I've done about 400 miles in mine, and in recent months over longer distances I've had issues with persistent blisters and some bleeding under one of my toenails. Wasn't sure if that was just one of the hazards of the hobby, or whether I actually really need to make a change!!
Login to get fewer ads

TWTD runners.... on 14:28 - Aug 31 with 1759 viewsAlong

TWTD runners.... on 14:22 - Aug 31 by GlebeTractor

Active job. Means I get through a lot more.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2018 14:22]

You said every 300 miles, surely 300 miles is 300 miles whatever job you do?
TWTD runners.... on 14:30 - Aug 31 with 1758 viewsAlong

TWTD runners.... on 14:22 - Aug 31 by NoCanariesAllowed

Starting to wonder the same myself. I think I've done about 400 miles in mine, and in recent months over longer distances I've had issues with persistent blisters and some bleeding under one of my toenails. Wasn't sure if that was just one of the hazards of the hobby, or whether I actually really need to make a change!!

What kind of distances are you doing? Once your feet are toughened up blisters shouldn't be a problem unless you are doing crazy distances, maybe wrong trainer or wrong fit?
TWTD runners.... on 14:42 - Aug 31 with 1737 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

TWTD runners.... on 14:30 - Aug 31 by Along

What kind of distances are you doing? Once your feet are toughened up blisters shouldn't be a problem unless you are doing crazy distances, maybe wrong trainer or wrong fit?

Regular pattern recently has been two runs per week, one 7.5 miles and one 9 miles.

I say blisters - they've gone relatively hard and dry now so they're not painful (albeit the odd occasion when I might notice a slight rub in the last couple of miles) but they're not really going away.

I've also had one troublesome toenail that has bled underneath a few times since April. Again not painful, but just when I think it's clearing up I tend to upset it and it gets another black patch.
TWTD runners.... on 14:54 - Aug 31 with 1718 viewsAlong

TWTD runners.... on 14:42 - Aug 31 by NoCanariesAllowed

Regular pattern recently has been two runs per week, one 7.5 miles and one 9 miles.

I say blisters - they've gone relatively hard and dry now so they're not painful (albeit the odd occasion when I might notice a slight rub in the last couple of miles) but they're not really going away.

I've also had one troublesome toenail that has bled underneath a few times since April. Again not painful, but just when I think it's clearing up I tend to upset it and it gets another black patch.

Sounds pretty normal to me, keep going with the longer distances and your feet will toughen up more. I'm no expert just talking from personal experience.
TWTD runners.... on 15:02 - Aug 31 with 1706 viewsGlebeTractor

TWTD runners.... on 14:28 - Aug 31 by Along

You said every 300 miles, surely 300 miles is 300 miles whatever job you do?

Not if that involves trail running, most days, in all weather.

TWTD runners.... on 15:03 - Aug 31 with 1706 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

TWTD runners.... on 14:54 - Aug 31 by Along

Sounds pretty normal to me, keep going with the longer distances and your feet will toughen up more. I'm no expert just talking from personal experience.

Cheers - I'm still keeping the shoes in mind as they were an off-the-shelf pair from Nike so not sure they're as suitable as they could be, but I've had no real complaints comfort wise up to now. Just these little niggly things.
TWTD runners.... on 15:06 - Aug 31 with 1692 viewsAlong

TWTD runners.... on 15:02 - Aug 31 by GlebeTractor

Not if that involves trail running, most days, in all weather.

Even if you were running up mt Everest, 300 miles is 300 miles. Are you saying because you run trails that your shoes wear quicker?
TWTD runners.... on 15:10 - Aug 31 with 1682 viewsGlebeTractor

TWTD runners.... on 15:06 - Aug 31 by Along

Even if you were running up mt Everest, 300 miles is 300 miles. Are you saying because you run trails that your shoes wear quicker?

I just find once I've done 4/5 PT sessions a week, mostly in wet/muddy conditions, my trainers seem to wear a lot more, yes. The sides start to crack, and insoles become v.hard due to constantly getting wet. It's my own preference when I change, but compared to a road runner, I'd say yes, they do probably wear quicker.

and yes, 300 miles is 300 miles, but I prefer to get new trainers than new knees. ;)

TWTD runners.... on 15:20 - Aug 31 with 1670 viewsAlong

TWTD runners.... on 15:10 - Aug 31 by GlebeTractor

I just find once I've done 4/5 PT sessions a week, mostly in wet/muddy conditions, my trainers seem to wear a lot more, yes. The sides start to crack, and insoles become v.hard due to constantly getting wet. It's my own preference when I change, but compared to a road runner, I'd say yes, they do probably wear quicker.

and yes, 300 miles is 300 miles, but I prefer to get new trainers than new knees. ;)

Ok get you now, just didn't quite understand your point. Do you have trail shoes? I've found running trails and grass so much easier on my legs than road running, awesome for building strength which translates when I do run on the road. Still not sure new trainers have a massive impact on stopping injuries.
TWTD runners.... on 15:25 - Aug 31 with 1660 viewsGlebeTractor

TWTD runners.... on 15:20 - Aug 31 by Along

Ok get you now, just didn't quite understand your point. Do you have trail shoes? I've found running trails and grass so much easier on my legs than road running, awesome for building strength which translates when I do run on the road. Still not sure new trainers have a massive impact on stopping injuries.

Yeah I do, my last few pairs have been New Balance, they seem a lot better than the adidas trails I'd previously used. But time will tell. :)

TWTD runners.... on 15:32 - Aug 31 with 1641 viewsartsbossbeard

Not sure if you're in the market right now but Amazon have got some deals on New Balance 640's which are a bloody decent running shoe.

Most sizes are around £35 presently.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024