Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? 13:18 - Aug 31 with 1735 viewsEdwardStone

Another scene from my slightly chaotic and puzzling life

Earlier this year I went on a group motorbike tour in India. I booked a place on a trip around the Tea Plantations and Hill Stations of the Southern Ghats. It was terrific....but following a minor collision, I was faced with the above tricky dilemma....

The accident wasn't really Pete's fault. Pete was at the front of the group, as Tour Leader he had the satnav and it was his rightful position. Ok, he was maybe going a bit too fast and sometimes I felt that his positioning on the road was a bit suspect....but he is/was a good rider and I felt that he was a bit unlucky. Most of the blame lies with the bus driver....in India they have a whole different way of driving, it is all very tolerant and accepting; almost Bhuddist in their calm outlook of the crass stupidity/uselessness of other road users. Mainly because everyone rides/drives like an utter tw*t with absolutely no thought about any other road user whatsoever

A bus, going up the hill, had stopped in the middle of the road in the middle of nowhere on a twisty mountain road, just before a bend. A bunch of people were getting on and off (not the same people getting on and off....that would be absurd; a different set of people were getting on....I know you know what I mean) A small group of cyclists also going up the hill had pulled out way too far to overtake the bus....and Flip Flop man on his scooter, also coming up the hill, had to move right out to the far side of the road to miss the cyclists. This is when Pete came belting downhill, rounded the corner, bashed into the scooter and sent Flip Flop man, his scooter, his wife and her shopping flying. Indian blokes tend to wear Flip Flops on all occasions; social, domestic, pleasure and motorbiking. They don't offer much protection in a crash...comfortable and stylish they may well be....but they are rubbish if you wipe out. As Mr Flip Flop had just discovered.

Mrs Flip Flop had obviously just been to the market; she had been perched side-saddle on the pillion of the scooter (modesty reasons...only the young lasses ride a bike or scooter normally....the young hussies!!) and she had been carrying 3 bags of assorted vegetables; onions, potatoes, cucumbers, chillies etc. She was completely unscathed but had dropped her shopping in the impact, the bags had split open in the crash and there was stuff all over the road. I arrived at the scene moments after it had happened: Mr Flip Flop was berating Pete for crashing into him, Mrs Flip Flop was actually beating her skinny husband around the head and calling him ( I imagine; I don't speak that much Hindi) a dopey twazzock for being on the wrong side of the road. Our medical man was trying to fix the graze on Mr Flip flop man's foot and our mechanic retrieved the scooter from the ditch where it had ended up.

Faced with this scene of mayhem, I guessed the most useful thing I could contribute was to gather up the spilled shopping. I found an undamaged bag and started loading up the veggies being careful to put the tomatoes on the top....nobody wants squished tomatoes.

And there it was.....in the middle of the road. A Turd. Amongst all the veggies was a Turd. Dark brown, almost unnoticeable against the dark surface of the road. It looked human in size and form ....but who would crap in the middle of the road??....surely, if you were caught short, you would crap behind a tree or at least at the edge of the road? There were some number of monkeys in the trees nearby. Maybe it was a monkey turd? But these were smallish monkeys...(Bonnet Macaques; give you a nasty nip if you get too close, but still fascinating to watch. I do like monkeys.) Could a small monkey produce such a human scale offering? And what to do with this turd? Was it originally in the shopping bag? Maybe it had some significance to the Flip Flop family....a religious artefact? an offering? a talisman? By its position on the road and the fact that it was surrounded by the spilled vegetables it seemed extremely likely that it had originally been in one of the shopping bags

I was now genuinely stumped. Should I put the turd in the bag and risk Mrs Flip Flop's anger and dismay when she got home. Her dumb husband had nearly killed her and now some smart-*rse had put a turd in with her rescued shopping. But maybe I should put the turd in the bag....maybe she would be heartbroken to arrive back home after such drama and find herself turdless, particularly if this exact turd had some deeper significance….I was beginning to get a bit stressed; what to do for the best??

Other people were starting to join in the veggie hunt...Mr Flip Flop now had a bandage on his grazed foot and been re-united with his footware, his scooter had been assessed and re-started; it had escaped with just minor damage to the paintwork. Mrs Flip Flop was smiling, she had secured a small cash payment to soothe her frayed nerves and repair the scooter. Pete's bike was utterly undamaged; they can absorb a lot of punishment, an Enfield Bullet.

Our Tour Guide, Niranja, (Indian fella from up North....a very cultured and intelligent man who could answer every question about anything) was loading up another bag of rescue veggies near to me. With an air of nonchalance he picked up a second nearby turd that had been unnoticed by me and popped it into his bag with the aubergines and onions. Reassured by this, I put the original turd into my bag, walked over to Mrs Flip Flop and handed it to her; the turd very prominent on top of everything else. She accepted the bag graciously and without comment.

Soon everything was sorted and our group resumed our journey down the twisty bumpy road and Mr and Mrs Flip Flop departed uphill towards their home

In our hotel later that evening over a cool beer I asked Niranja what were these strange brown things we retrieved from the site of the crash.....

"Tamarind; they look a bit like a turd, don't you think?" he replied, smiling
Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? on 13:31 - Aug 31 with 1665 viewsartsbossbeard

Edward, I like the cut of your jib.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? on 13:45 - Aug 31 with 1604 viewsBrixtonBlue

That was a sh!t story.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? on 13:57 - Aug 31 with 1556 viewsEdmundo

Genius. When does the book come out?

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? on 14:02 - Aug 31 with 1538 viewsFixed_It

Should have tried polishing it. That would've told you.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? on 14:14 - Aug 31 with 1491 viewsEdwardStone

Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? on 14:02 - Aug 31 by Fixed_It

Should have tried polishing it. That would've told you.

"You cannot polish a turd

You may, however, roll it in glitter"

As a wise man once told me
Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? on 14:43 - Aug 31 with 1439 viewsPendejo

Up voted and MHR for Sunday

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? on 14:59 - Aug 31 with 1416 viewsWeWereZombies

Whilst that was a wonderful traveler's tale I think it could have been told in between a quarter and a half of the length, as a percentage - dirty tree and a turd.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? on 15:15 - Aug 31 with 1395 viewsEdwardStone

Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? on 14:43 - Aug 31 by Pendejo

Up voted and MHR for Sunday

Many thanks Mr P

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Ducati-900R-Mike-Hailwood-Replica-Unregistered-J

This kind of MHR??
Login to get fewer ads

Should I put the turd in the Lady's shopping bag? on 15:36 - Aug 31 with 1349 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You really shouldn't get that stoned when biking around India.....it's confusing enough as it is!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024