Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... 01:32 - Sep 1 with 8298 viewshenryblue

He, not surprisingly, said that the players were all very happy under Mick and were sad to see him go. He did also agree that there were players there who were happy under him Cos they knew they'd get a chance regardless of their ability, moreso because of the work rate and their chances of playing week in week out. What's happening right now is a risk but im much happier in a situation where the players have to work their arse off to afford a place and the line ups are selected on the basis of skillset and footballing ability. These are young and hungry players chomping at the bit to impress in the current situation and I think long term if we can get through this rut we have a chance of developing into something very exciting. I'm nervous but I truly believe beating Norwich would create something very exciting. The derbies under Mick were total dross, sucking the fun and life out of the most exciting game of the year in order to not lose, which lets face it happened rarely. We're heading into a derby knowing we will go all out to put goals past them and I've not been as excited about it for a long long time. Up the town, I love this club and I truly believe we're gonna do it.
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 03:27 - Sep 1 with 6890 viewsjeera

" The derbies under Mick were total dross, sucking the fun and life out of the most exciting game of the year in order to not lose,"

Is this entirely true? I mean, I can see you've received a couple of up-votes from posters I know I respect, so they obviously feel you're making some point.

But the play-off game with Berra's handball, was that really that dull? The game where Mick was so involved he told an element of his own fans to eff off. Was it that soul-less? It certainly became a talking point for quite some time.

The one where McGoldrick was tearing up and down the pitch doing everything that could possibly be asked of any loyal player. Dross? Really?

Most were on the edge of their seats for that one. Maybe just me.

Young and hungry. If only that term hadn't been used a thousand times already it wouldn't feel meaningless. Oh. It has.

The players aren't kept in stables mate. They are fed.

And the term is not "Chomping at the the bit".

It's 'Champing".

Sorry. I just felt your post was attention all over.

A 'friend' of a player said... It seems a bit desperate. I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the 1st time, but really, such an unnecessary post.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 3:31]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 06:46 - Sep 1 with 6670 viewsOsborneOneNil

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 03:27 - Sep 1 by jeera

" The derbies under Mick were total dross, sucking the fun and life out of the most exciting game of the year in order to not lose,"

Is this entirely true? I mean, I can see you've received a couple of up-votes from posters I know I respect, so they obviously feel you're making some point.

But the play-off game with Berra's handball, was that really that dull? The game where Mick was so involved he told an element of his own fans to eff off. Was it that soul-less? It certainly became a talking point for quite some time.

The one where McGoldrick was tearing up and down the pitch doing everything that could possibly be asked of any loyal player. Dross? Really?

Young and hungry. If only that term hadn't been used a thousand times already it wouldn't feel meaningless. Oh. It has.

It's 'Champing".

A 'friend' of a player said... It seems a bit desperate. I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the 1st time, but really, such an unnecessary post.

Mick shouting at Town fans and telling them to FUK OFF doesn’t make a dull game a cracking watch, IMO.
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 06:56 - Sep 1 with 6629 viewsSuperfrans

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 06:46 - Sep 1 by OsborneOneNil

Mick shouting at Town fans and telling them to FUK OFF doesn’t make a dull game a cracking watch, IMO.

None of the fans at Carrow Road had any idea that Mick had reacted in that way until after the game. To suggest otherwise and that it affected the atmosphere in any way is plainly wrong.

The only negativity in that match (that any of us were aware of at the time) was caused by the “your football is sh!t” chants following the substitution of Iorfa.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 07:01 - Sep 1 with 6603 viewsartsbossbeard

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 06:56 - Sep 1 by Superfrans

None of the fans at Carrow Road had any idea that Mick had reacted in that way until after the game. To suggest otherwise and that it affected the atmosphere in any way is plainly wrong.

The only negativity in that match (that any of us were aware of at the time) was caused by the “your football is sh!t” chants following the substitution of Iorfa.

The clearly knackered/injured Iorfa.

I still shudder when I remember them lot joining in. I'm sure it will get an airing by them tomorrow.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 07:07 - Sep 1 with 6572 viewsartsbossbeard

It's 'Champing".

There's some horrific reinvention of the derbies under Mick if they're now being classed as drab affairs.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 07:12 - Sep 1 with 6550 viewsSuperfrans

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 07:01 - Sep 1 by artsbossbeard

The clearly knackered/injured Iorfa.

I still shudder when I remember them lot joining in. I'm sure it will get an airing by them tomorrow.

Yes, I was trying to be as objective/independent as possible.

You’re right about the revisionism about derbies under Mick. We played 8 under Mick, drew 4 and lost 4,but none of them were anything other than full, blood and thunder matches.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 07:25 - Sep 1 with 6450 viewsbrogansnose

You couldn't be more wrong about the derbies bit of your post.
Two things.... on 07:25 - Sep 1 with 6449 viewsBloots

1. That's bull

2. Let it go, he's not our manager anymore.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

Login to get fewer ads

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:16 - Sep 1 with 6160 viewsm14_blue

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 07:07 - Sep 1 by artsbossbeard

There's some horrific reinvention of the derbies under Mick if they're now being classed as drab affairs.

There were a couple of fairly drab 1-0 home defeats but that's about it.

The PO game at Portman Road was superb, as was the first half of the away leg.
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:17 - Sep 1 with 6152 viewsFartman

Your absolutly right! We were holding Norwich at 0-0 on their ground and frustrating them.

When our so called fans then started signing "Your football is s#it", I couldn't believe it... You just don't do that to your own football club. No manager or footballer is bigger than the club, and the same goes for the supporters.

McCarthy's words were absolutly out of line, but on that day they were spot on, and were echoed by myself.

Seeing grown up men (our so called hardcore fans) shouting abuse to our manager and his team, when they needed all our support was such a disgrace and showed how bad our support has become.

It's still early days under Hurst and a whole new team has been assembled, so he will still be on the wildcard for a few more games. Hopefully Sundays game will be the turn of the tide.

Come on Town!!!

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -- Winston S. Churchill

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:21 - Sep 1 with 6112 viewsunstableblue

There was plenty to criticise about Mick's last two seasons, but I always felt Mick got the energy and closing parts of our game to work effectively in the EA derby and hence the performances were commendable and via a battering ram approach we did have some chances. I think his deficiencies in system probably meant we were a bit lacking in quality in the final third, but I always found our performances exciting, and of course wrote as much on here at the time.

But of course the EA derbies are a bit of a lottery anyway. I hope to see a bit more craft and passing, with better movement, if possible from a Hurst team. But Norwich are not terrible, and I thought Harry Lord of Bath made a good observation that both teams will have 20min spells in the ascendancy. It will be the team that makes these spells count that wins.

I thank you

UB (never anti-Mick; always anti-performances that are anti-football)

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:25 - Sep 1 with 6043 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It's 'Champing".

Wasn't there a small but impressive pitch invasion at theirs too!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:32 - Sep 1 with 5995 viewsSE1blue

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:21 - Sep 1 by unstableblue

There was plenty to criticise about Mick's last two seasons, but I always felt Mick got the energy and closing parts of our game to work effectively in the EA derby and hence the performances were commendable and via a battering ram approach we did have some chances. I think his deficiencies in system probably meant we were a bit lacking in quality in the final third, but I always found our performances exciting, and of course wrote as much on here at the time.

But of course the EA derbies are a bit of a lottery anyway. I hope to see a bit more craft and passing, with better movement, if possible from a Hurst team. But Norwich are not terrible, and I thought Harry Lord of Bath made a good observation that both teams will have 20min spells in the ascendancy. It will be the team that makes these spells count that wins.

I thank you

UB (never anti-Mick; always anti-performances that are anti-football)

Agree with so much of your post and your feelings about MM.

The derbies are such a lottery and I think we have a chance tomorrow to finally win one. My fear is wondering how much a team that has changed so much (and continues to change) can play well as a team. I almost wish we were playing a Middlesborough or Leeds, just to get them out the way whilst we're still reorganising and focus more on getting 3 points against teams we can beat. That said, if we get at them and take the lead, I think the confidence will soar.

The one area we can beat Norwich on tomorrow is by getting behind the team and making a shed load of noise. There mustn't be any grumbling or slagging off tomorrow.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:34 - Sep 1 with 5962 viewsGarv

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 07:12 - Sep 1 by Superfrans

Yes, I was trying to be as objective/independent as possible.

You’re right about the revisionism about derbies under Mick. We played 8 under Mick, drew 4 and lost 4,but none of them were anything other than full, blood and thunder matches.

Don't think the atmosphere, generally, or effort was ever in doubt.

Think the criticism comes from a lack of quality when needed and willingness to go for the win, in my view anyway.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:39 - Sep 1 with 5928 viewsbluehook

It's 'Champing".

Had a rough night lovey?
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:39 - Sep 1 with 5922 viewsunstableblue

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 07:07 - Sep 1 by artsbossbeard

Agree artbossbeard (you see it's possible) they were never drab under Mick.

Here's an extract from a derby report, never anti-Mick, critical of his system and style when warranted..... :

Your Report added at 08:59:21
Well that was fun, and despite a few lingering concerns a game to take a lot heart from as we continue to ponder Ipswich's prospects for the 16/17 season.

On paper Norwich had a far superior starting eleven, and 3 midfielders that we would love to poach - in our dreams. And indeed for 20 minutes after their against the run of play goal Norwich's midfield purred. Despite that insight into the quality gap, Ipswich probably deserved the win. Chances in the start of the first half and the closing stages, and some exciting width, shading this passionate encounter.

Despite the disappointing circa 24k attendance, derided on announcement by our East Anglian 'cousins', this had a big game feel. It's not just the number of people, it's the buzz of excitement. The fan zone was pretty good, the pitch, sun, clapper things stuck in the seats, and the packed North and away ends made for a real sense of anticipation. Numerous mates had stayed away, a combination of holidays, Sky, early kick off and Mick's style being the weak excuses. So I don't think you can blame the poor turn out on any single factor.

So how did Mick's Ipswich play? Generally the energy, bite and tracking were fantastic. And earnt at least the point. The noise of the North combined with some tenacious Douglas, Berra, Bru and Berra dogged play, ruffled Norwich, they couldn't get into the game. And ward and Murphy started to get joy - we had tempo. My biggest ask from Mick and the team would be to continue that into Saturday and Preston. We had multiple corners, we stretched Norwich for 20mins. Murphy had a superb chance, and I do think our talisman is showing his 10 goal a season form at present, rather than that fine streak of a few seasons back.

Even in this glorious spell, we still went back into type into numerous occasions, with poor early long distribution, cheap turnover of ball, wasted impetus. It's the elephant in the room with this team. And must be eradicated, in Grant, and Bishop and the missing young Evertonian, maybe we have the solution. As indeed after their goal Norwich showed us how to do it - short incisive passing, began to tear into us, their goal real class. Their manager bemoaning afterwards that they only got I got that gear for 20 mins, but to be fair Ipswich refused to allow it. And our defence was just too strong. Webster and Berra were just excellent, tough, horrible to play against. Webster will relish a more dynamic midfield in front of him, which surely will come with Bishop fully fit, and weaker opposition.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:51 - Sep 1 with 5831 viewsJohnny_Boy

Mediocre players, safe in the knowledge the mediocre manager will always pick them, regardless.
The squad & mentality needed shaking up with a sledgehammer.
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 09:06 - Sep 1 with 5725 viewsTerra_Farma

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:17 - Sep 1 by Fartman

Your absolutly right! We were holding Norwich at 0-0 on their ground and frustrating them.

When our so called fans then started signing "Your football is s#it", I couldn't believe it... You just don't do that to your own football club. No manager or footballer is bigger than the club, and the same goes for the supporters.

McCarthy's words were absolutly out of line, but on that day they were spot on, and were echoed by myself.

Seeing grown up men (our so called hardcore fans) shouting abuse to our manager and his team, when they needed all our support was such a disgrace and showed how bad our support has become.

It's still early days under Hurst and a whole new team has been assembled, so he will still be on the wildcard for a few more games. Hopefully Sundays game will be the turn of the tide.

Come on Town!!!

Amen.
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 09:28 - Sep 1 with 5587 viewsbrogansnose

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 08:25 - Sep 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

Wasn't there a small but impressive pitch invasion at theirs too!

There was also a pitch invasion at the end of the play off match too on a larger scale which went unpunished.

The moral of this tale is either wear a yellow shirt when entering the field of play- which is of course totally unacceptable - or invade the pitch en masse. Strength in numbers and all that.
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 10:42 - Sep 1 with 5337 viewsbraveblue

What about sitting back for the last half hour. That was negative. The fans were celebrating the goal so would not see mcCarthy’s outburst. But everyone saw it live on TV and it was embarrassing. He should have been sacked after the game.
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 11:46 - Sep 1 with 5146 viewsPJH

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 10:42 - Sep 1 by braveblue

What about sitting back for the last half hour. That was negative. The fans were celebrating the goal so would not see mcCarthy’s outburst. But everyone saw it live on TV and it was embarrassing. He should have been sacked after the game.

Well at least the good news is that none of the idiots that chanted negatively about the manager and team go to games now so that is a huge plus.
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 11:56 - Sep 1 with 5101 viewsm14_blue

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 10:42 - Sep 1 by braveblue

We didn't sit back, we were pushed back. We were on top in the first half but you're never likely to control an away derby game for 90 minutes.

We absorbed that pressure and then struck against the run of play, it was so close to being a perfect away performance.

Mick's reaction to the goal was regrettable, and I'm sure looking back he wishes he hasn't done it, but nowhere near as bad as the fans singing anti town songs at Carrow Road.
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 12:00 - Sep 1 with 5093 viewsJ4ck22

"they knew they'd get a chance regardless of their ability, moreso because of the work rate and their chances of playing week in week out. What's happening right now is a risk but im much happier in a situation where the players have to work their arse off to afford a place"

Wait, what? So you're unhappy players under Mick got in because of they worked hard, but you're happier now that players still earn their place by working hard?
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 12:42 - Sep 1 with 4975 viewsbrazil1982

It's 'Champing".

Are you the Grammar police? Petty.
Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 12:52 - Sep 1 with 4938 viewsDarth_Koont

Just spoke to a close friend of Hyams... on 12:00 - Sep 1 by J4ck22

"they knew they'd get a chance regardless of their ability, moreso because of the work rate and their chances of playing week in week out. What's happening right now is a risk but im much happier in a situation where the players have to work their arse off to afford a place"

Wait, what? So you're unhappy players under Mick got in because of they worked hard, but you're happier now that players still earn their place by working hard?

Agreed. That made no sense.

And in any case, Hurst is actively focusing on "work rate and their chances of playing week in week out" in his selections and recruitment. More than any other manager I can remember.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024