Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eng 33-2. 11:52 - Sep 1 with 3834 viewsgainsboroughblue

Same old same old. This batting line up absolutely showing no signs of learning or improving.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Eng 33-2. on 11:56 - Sep 1 with 3825 viewsITFC_Forever

Sorry.

Second wicket was my fault. Got in the car to pick daughter up from dancing, turned TMS on and we promptly lost the review.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Eng 33-2. on 12:17 - Sep 1 with 3803 viewsSteve_M

I can see the logic of putting Ali up the order, scoring is the best way to keep the game going and stop the bowlers dominating. Obviously, it's not worked though.

We need a couple of big partnerships, I really don't think that 300 is going to be easy to chase on this pitch.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Eng 33-2. on 12:25 - Sep 1 with 3791 viewsjas0999

Eng 33-2. on 12:17 - Sep 1 by Steve_M

I can see the logic of putting Ali up the order, scoring is the best way to keep the game going and stop the bowlers dominating. Obviously, it's not worked though.

We need a couple of big partnerships, I really don't think that 300 is going to be easy to chase on this pitch.

Do you think we need a three hundred lead or will 250 be enough?
Eng 33-2. on 12:28 - Sep 1 with 3786 viewsAce_High1

Eng 33-2. on 12:25 - Sep 1 by jas0999

300 to feel confident but 250 would make it an interesting game. Need a few partnerships and someone to go on to a 100.
Eng 33-2. on 12:30 - Sep 1 with 3784 viewsm14_blue

Eng 33-2. on 12:28 - Sep 1 by Ace_High1

300 to feel confident but 250 would make it an interesting game. Need a few partnerships and someone to go on to a 100.

Jennings throwing the bat a bit.

Come on lad!
Eng 33-2. on 12:40 - Sep 1 with 3766 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Cook is a big part of the problem and has been since he captained that 0-5 Ashes whitewash where KP was scapegoat. He's an ECB yes man and is still living off the 2010/11 Ashes

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Eng 33-2. on 12:51 - Sep 1 with 3756 viewsSteve_M

Eng 33-2. on 12:25 - Sep 1 by jas0999

There are runs in this pitch though, anyone who has got in has scored fairly quickly, I don't think we'll get 300 ahead but that's what we should be looking for.

These two have scored pretty freely over the last half hour and the match is beautifully poised.

Eng 33-2. on 15:04 - Sep 1 with 3719 viewsSteve_M

Eng 33-2. on 12:51 - Sep 1 by Steve_M

There are runs in this pitch though, anyone who has got in has scored fairly quickly, I don't think we'll get 300 ahead but that's what we should be looking for.

These two have scored pretty freely over the last half hour and the match is beautifully poised.

Real shame Jennings was out just before lunch, was looking fairly comfortable at that point. Since it's just been crap again.

A 250 lead is a long way off now.

Login to get fewer ads

Eng 33-2. on 15:14 - Sep 1 with 3715 viewsAce_High1

Eng 33-2. on 15:04 - Sep 1 by Steve_M

Real shame Jennings was out just before lunch, was looking fairly comfortable at that point. Since it's just been crap again.

Need a partnership but just when we do find a pair that look comfortable we end up doing something unexpected like the Root run out.
Eng 33-2. on 15:16 - Sep 1 with 3714 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Eng 33-2. on 15:04 - Sep 1 by Steve_M

Ball staying low at times. Ridiculous from Root not diving - he knew it was tight.

Anderson at 3 as night watchman whenever the first wicket falls is my suggestion. Just stay in and take the shine off the ball.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Eng 33-2. on 18:53 - Sep 1 with 3677 viewschristiand

233 is a very healthy lead on this deteriorating pitch. If Curran, Broad and Anderson can get us over 250 in the morning that would give us a mental edge over the Indians. We have the bowlers to force the win. England have certainly dug themselves out of a hole after the first day, but this series has been absolutely brilliant - test match cricket is very much alive and kicking!

Where’s our forum’s cricket enthusiast? Steve M, over to you for your thoughts at the close of play.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 19:01]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Eng 33-2. on 19:25 - Sep 1 with 3653 viewsvilanovablue

Eng 33-2. on 18:53 - Sep 1 by christiand

233 is a very healthy lead on this deteriorating pitch. If Curran, Broad and Anderson can get us over 250 in the morning that would give us a mental edge over the Indians. We have the bowlers to force the win. England have certainly dug themselves out of a hole after the first day, but this series has been absolutely brilliant - test match cricket is very much alive and kicking!

Where’s our forum’s cricket enthusiast? Steve M, over to you for your thoughts at the close of play.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 19:01]

A thoroughly enjoyable days cricket. Butler was excellent, again. Curran looks like a serious talent. I suspect Moeen will fancy his chances. Over 250 as a lead would I feel make us favourites. I suspect Curran will come out swinging tomorrow as will Broad for he knows nothing else these days. Although I can also see us losing the last 2 cheaply. It'll certainly be intriguing.
Eng 33-2. on 19:38 - Sep 1 with 3645 viewschristiand

Eng 33-2. on 19:25 - Sep 1 by vilanovablue

A thoroughly enjoyable days cricket. Butler was excellent, again. Curran looks like a serious talent. I suspect Moeen will fancy his chances. Over 250 as a lead would I feel make us favourites. I suspect Curran will come out swinging tomorrow as will Broad for he knows nothing else these days. Although I can also see us losing the last 2 cheaply. It'll certainly be intriguing.

Really like Curran’s attitude, especially when batting. Going to throw a curveball in, is Curran good enough with his bowling to be in the side? To me, he looks a batsman that can bowl a bit.

Eng 33-2. on 19:47 - Sep 1 with 3642 viewsTownly

I wouldn't change this current line up, but would prefer Woakes in favour of Rashid, whilst Jennings is on thin ice.

Cook is experienced enough and skilful enough to dig himself out of his current bad spell. He has the pedigree after all and he is not that old.

Consistency at the top is not so important when you have consistency lower down. The selectors have worked that one out and Ali coming in three is excellent, his preferred position, and it was a decision that should have been made ages ago given the dearth of success in the upper order.
Eng 33-2. on 20:33 - Sep 1 with 3620 viewsvilanovablue

Eng 33-2. on 19:38 - Sep 1 by christiand

Really like Curran’s attitude, especially when batting. Going to throw a curveball in, is Curran good enough with his bowling to be in the side? To me, he looks a batsman that can bowl a bit.

I'd suggest he is a decent bowler who at 20 should only improve. His bowling seems very reliable from what I've seen so far which isn't much but the recent tests. The problem is if we had a first choice fit he might struggle to get in. I think Woakes is a big miss here.
Eng 33-2. on 20:37 - Sep 1 with 3614 viewsvilanovablue

Eng 33-2. on 19:47 - Sep 1 by Townly

I wouldn't change this current line up, but would prefer Woakes in favour of Rashid, whilst Jennings is on thin ice.

Cook is experienced enough and skilful enough to dig himself out of his current bad spell. He has the pedigree after all and he is not that old.

Consistency at the top is not so important when you have consistency lower down. The selectors have worked that one out and Ali coming in three is excellent, his preferred position, and it was a decision that should have been made ages ago given the dearth of success in the upper order.

I'd agree on Woakes I have to say. I do wonder if Curran in spite of his performances is in danger of being dropped, based on how our selectors have been. I'd also agree Jennings isn't right. I do worry that Cook is perhaps on his way down he may be young but can happy in your early 30s from an age perspective. It is however a fascinating test!
Eng 33-2. on 21:18 - Sep 1 with 3591 viewschristiand

Eng 33-2. on 20:37 - Sep 1 by vilanovablue

I'd agree on Woakes I have to say. I do wonder if Curran in spite of his performances is in danger of being dropped, based on how our selectors have been. I'd also agree Jennings isn't right. I do worry that Cook is perhaps on his way down he may be young but can happy in your early 30s from an age perspective. It is however a fascinating test!

Keep Jennings in for the final test, it makes no sense to drop him and he worked like stink today to get his runs and he’d of know he was under enormous pressure going into that innings, just didn’t get forward enough to Bumrah’s delivery. Although I’m an Essex boy, Cook seems on the decline and in that side due to past achievements. His run of scores has been poor for a while apart from that double hundred in Australia on a flat pitch! He looks like a prime candidate for LBW as he remains on his crease or provides catching practise for the slips. Cook is just fortunate that none of the young guns are staking their claim in the county game.

Got to say, I do really enjoy these cricketing chats on the forum. Think we could all give Bob Willis a run for his money on the Cricket Debate on Sky!
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 21:20]

Eng 33-2. on 22:13 - Sep 1 with 3572 viewshatch

Was at the Rose Bowl today and although a good day out with beers in the sun, would have been a better day to watch from home and attend tomorrow. A very slow batting day so little for the fans to get hyped about (despite a solid total in the end).
Eng 33-2. on 22:43 - Sep 1 with 3561 viewsSteve_M

Eng 33-2. on 21:18 - Sep 1 by christiand

Keep Jennings in for the final test, it makes no sense to drop him and he worked like stink today to get his runs and he’d of know he was under enormous pressure going into that innings, just didn’t get forward enough to Bumrah’s delivery. Although I’m an Essex boy, Cook seems on the decline and in that side due to past achievements. His run of scores has been poor for a while apart from that double hundred in Australia on a flat pitch! He looks like a prime candidate for LBW as he remains on his crease or provides catching practise for the slips. Cook is just fortunate that none of the young guns are staking their claim in the county game.

Got to say, I do really enjoy these cricketing chats on the forum. Think we could all give Bob Willis a run for his money on the Cricket Debate on Sky!
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 21:20]

Yes, I thought Jennings did well today and was a little unfortunate.

It's another brilliant Test match, still no idea who will win it. England have batted pretty well today but will feel it should have been better. 233 makes a game of it but England could do with another 50 or so tomorrow!

Eng 33-2. on 16:51 - Sep 2 with 3484 viewsstrikalite

It's looking good now, two more wickets needed and tailenders are in...it's been a good one this..
Eng 33-2. on 17:02 - Sep 2 with 3480 viewsVic

Eng 33-2. on 16:51 - Sep 2 by strikalite

It's looking good now, two more wickets needed and tailenders are in...it's been a good one this..

One wicket needed now. Crazy!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Eng 33-2. on 18:29 - Sep 2 with 3457 viewsSteve_M

Eng 33-2. on 17:02 - Sep 2 by Vic

One wicket needed now. Crazy!

Listening to that on the drive back to London with India racing a century partnership it felt like it was going to be a very frustrating day of sport. Kohli was such a crucial wicket.

Been a really good series, two close matches and one really poor one from each team. Looking forward to the Oval next Saturday.

Eng 33-2. on 19:11 - Sep 2 with 3442 viewsvilanovablue

Eng 33-2. on 18:29 - Sep 2 by Steve_M

Listening to that on the drive back to London with India racing a century partnership it felt like it was going to be a very frustrating day of sport. Kohli was such a crucial wicket.

Been a really good series, two close matches and one really poor one from each team. Looking forward to the Oval next Saturday.

I was a little worried when we only added 13 however the wicket of Kohli did the business and India rather subsided. All in a great match which could have gone either way. I'd agree with keeping Jennings but I wouldn't want him anywhere near the touring side...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024