Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Before anyone gets too worked up about Hurst's transfers and approach ... 11:52 - Sep 1 with 751 viewsDarth_Koont

It's important to remember that this is based on significant funds neither he nor Evans could have imagined. I'm guessing that before the Summer we probably thought that player sales could make us about 4 or 5 million but the 12 million or so can't have been expected or planned for.

Because of this we've made a lot of changes far quicker than we could have expected. Sure, there are arguments against that much change in a short space of time. But if Hurst believes the changes are right anyway then in his mind we end up getting where we want to be quicker.

One of the questions that's now only hypothetical is what would we have done if we'd had half that money and in all likelihood little to play with after ensuring the 5-6 million funding gap was plugged? Undoubtedly we'd have made a lot more use of our younger players to fill squad and first team gaps. But that could have been fatal if as Hurst believes they're not physically up to the challenge of a full season of high-intensity games. Arguably we could have been risking far more.

I can certainly see the logic of having a little buffer here and keeping the younger players out of the firing line while we adjust to his new style and the levels it demands.

Pronouns: He/Him

Before anyone gets too worked up about Hurst's transfers and approach ... on 13:10 - Sep 1 with 643 viewspatrickswell

But when do the younger players step up? Chalobah will be gone next season. Are we buying Pennington or Edun, because otherwise they’re clogging up spots that could be taken by Downes or Woolfenden. Emmanuel played at a higher level than Donacien last year and had more Championship experience, yet he isn’t seen as good enough to play for us? Meanwhile, none of the new guys have really looked like taking this division by the scruff of the neck yet and we’re still waiting for some evidence of a demonstrable bounce from Hurst. Please let it come tomorrow.
Before anyone gets too worked up about Hurst's transfers and approach ... on 13:17 - Sep 1 with 631 viewsDarth_Koont

Before anyone gets too worked up about Hurst's transfers and approach ... on 13:10 - Sep 1 by patrickswell

But when do the younger players step up? Chalobah will be gone next season. Are we buying Pennington or Edun, because otherwise they’re clogging up spots that could be taken by Downes or Woolfenden. Emmanuel played at a higher level than Donacien last year and had more Championship experience, yet he isn’t seen as good enough to play for us? Meanwhile, none of the new guys have really looked like taking this division by the scruff of the neck yet and we’re still waiting for some evidence of a demonstrable bounce from Hurst. Please let it come tomorrow.

I don't think you can compare our youngsters with the players coming in like for like. In either athleticism and/or age the new players are further along.

Let's not forget that Nydam and Downes pretty much broke down last season after being overworked for the first part of the season. And now Hurst is talking about raising the bar even higher.

The driving force in Hurst's recruitment and selections seems to be a desire for players to be able to play week in and week out.

Edit: Didn't answer your first question but our youngsters step up when they're physically more ready.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 13:18]

Pronouns: He/Him

Before anyone gets too worked up about Hurst's transfers and approach ... on 13:24 - Sep 1 with 582 viewsunstableblue

Before anyone gets too worked up about Hurst's transfers and approach ... on 13:10 - Sep 1 by patrickswell

I think people need have a bit of faith in Hursts plans, Strategy and thinking.

Yes he’s green in the Championship but he’s managed for a long time and in my opinion is a good judge of players.

I don’t think he was happy with what he inherited; I think he would have sold Garner anyway, and in my view Toto was always going to come in and challenge/replace webster.

I think he’s a disappointed as anyone about Waghorn.

As for the youth and your point - I think he really rates wolfenden but thinks he’s inexperienced (he’s got a good loan) and the same with Morris.

Donacien is a good purchase - and with Spence as back up then Emmanuel should go out. Hurst knows the player and doesn’t feel he’s champions ready.

He’s kept both Downes and Dozzell and I expect them to get game
time.

Edun and Chalobah are very good players, the latter with a few question marks.

And the Everton lad has a lot of Championship experience, but is cover for Toto only.

Loans are mainly to January anyway.

Come on let’s back the manager - question him at the end of September when he will have time with his chosen squad.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 13:31]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024