Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First derby game memories? 19:43 - Sep 1 with 4936 viewspete81

For me was 1993 under the floodlights at portman rd.I would have been 12 then having not played them for a bit before that due to our stay in the old 2nd division.
Remember police horses at the corner of north and the then portman stand.
Remember Stockwell just keeping going to put us 2.1 ahead a goal that summed him up, his cheesy grin in celebrating,100% effort and he loved playing for us, to this day my favourite Town player.
Remember the noise when Dozzell turned and put us 3.1 up and not sure i have heard P.R that loud since (even when you watch on youtube now you can hear the audio go).
Infact home record in the 90's was good against them...if only I could erase the last 9 years from my mind....
Onwards and upwards....time for another 3.1 victory and some more happy memories of Derby day to be made...
COYB
First derby game memories? on 19:46 - Sep 1 with 3840 viewsbackwaywhen

1973 ...away 0-0 draw , they put all the town fans in the river end which was an open stand no roof .
First derby game memories? on 19:49 - Sep 1 with 3831 viewsPopeadrian64

Away approx 1974 Whymark scored in a 1-0 win. I was 10 and my dad got tickets through Watneys brewery as he ran the Elm Tavern Spring Rd. I remember a budgie fan spitting on him as I had a blue white bar scarf on as a kid. I still feel/carry that hatred for them over this to this very day...
First derby game memories? on 19:50 - Sep 1 with 3825 viewspete81

First derby game memories? on 19:46 - Sep 1 by backwaywhen

1973 ...away 0-0 draw , they put all the town fans in the river end which was an open stand no roof .

Blimey!
just looking at 1993 and realizing that's a quater of a CENTUARY ago.
First derby game memories? on 19:51 - Sep 1 with 3830 viewsPJH

My first derby game memory was not too good as we lost 2-1 at home to them in the F.A. Cup in January 1962, that season did not end too badly for us though.
My only memory of the game was one of their players-either Alcock or Ashman-doing cartwheels in celebration at the final whistle.

I am almost certain that that was my first derby.
First derby game memories? on 19:53 - Sep 1 with 3818 viewsLuk38644

I remember the first game back from the Prem, the penalty miss and then absolute scenes as it was bundled in, seem to remember quite a few getting on the pitch!

First away was the Haynes handball. Good times, would give anything for a Chambo or Walters handball winner tomorrow.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 19:53]
First derby game memories? on 19:54 - Sep 1 with 3805 viewsMelford

Simon Milton's screamer.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

First derby game memories? on 19:58 - Sep 1 with 3794 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

1980 home 4:2 win. Can’t remember too much about it apart from Clive Woods playing for them.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

First derby game memories? on 20:00 - Sep 1 with 3782 viewsEastTownBlue

My first was on New Year's Day 1985 which was a 2-0 win. Other than that I remember nothing about it.

My second was a month afterwards for the first leg of the Milk Cup. Least said about that the better.
Login to get fewer ads

First derby game memories? on 20:03 - Sep 1 with 3767 viewsitfcjoe

I remember watching the 92/93 ones on Sky, but first memory of being at a game was Lee Power's red card as was right in front of me in the Portman Lower followed by Megson's OG.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

First derby game memories? on 20:04 - Sep 1 with 3757 viewsPJH

First derby game memories? on 20:00 - Sep 1 by EastTownBlue

My first was on New Year's Day 1985 which was a 2-0 win. Other than that I remember nothing about it.

My second was a month afterwards for the first leg of the Milk Cup. Least said about that the better.

The first leg was ok, we won 1-0 but should have won by more-it was the second leg that was a sickener.
I suppose if we had won the first leg by more then .....
First derby game memories? on 20:06 - Sep 1 with 3753 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

First derby game memories? on 20:03 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

I remember watching the 92/93 ones on Sky, but first memory of being at a game was Lee Power's red card as was right in front of me in the Portman Lower followed by Megson's OG.

One of my favourite goals of all time. The desire he showed to get to the ball first and the bullet header. Unsaveable.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

First derby game memories? on 20:08 - Sep 1 with 3728 viewsgainsboroughblue

Last minute Martin O'Neill free kick December 1982 in a 3-2 defeat.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

First derby game memories? on 20:14 - Sep 1 with 3716 viewsSitfcB

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/sep/16/match.sport4

This was my first one. Chaos at the end. I was 10. Sat in South Stand, can still remember going nuts and seeing the people on the pitch.

First away was when we were 2-0 up at HT. drew 2-2. Gutted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/7065346.stm
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 20:17]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

First derby game memories? on 20:14 - Sep 1 with 3709 viewsSkuse4ballondor

The first derby I was at was the 5-1 defeat in 2011. I haven't seen us beat the scum whilst I've been following Ipswich, hopefully that will change tomorrow.
First derby game memories? on 20:14 - Sep 1 with 3704 viewsPendejo

Easter 1977 is the first one I can remember, that one went well for us I seem to recall.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

First derby game memories? on 20:18 - Sep 1 with 3678 viewsPendejo

First derby game memories? on 20:04 - Sep 1 by PJH

The first leg was ok, we won 1-0 but should have won by more-it was the second leg that was a sickener.
I suppose if we had won the first leg by more then .....

2nd leg was ok until the assassination attempt on D'Avray - for those that don't know / remember either Bruce or Watson went into his back with such force he swallowed his tongue and the referee saved his life.*
* Assuming my memory is correct

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

First derby game memories? on 20:20 - Sep 1 with 3664 viewsThe_Snake

Alex Mathies first half Hat-Trick, Bobby Petta’s 2 goals second half Is the best. Gunn’s air kick probably among earliest memories.
First derby game memories? on 20:25 - Sep 1 with 3636 viewsPJH

First derby game memories? on 20:18 - Sep 1 by Pendejo

2nd leg was ok until the assassination attempt on D'Avray - for those that don't know / remember either Bruce or Watson went into his back with such force he swallowed his tongue and the referee saved his life.*
* Assuming my memory is correct

Yes, I can't remember who flattened D'Avray either but as you say it took quick thinking by the ref because he was in a bad way.

I seem to remember either Gatesy or Alan Sunderland missing a very good chance which would have just about tied the game up and then the Bruce header at the end.

Terry Butcher (allegedly) put his foot through the dressing room door after the game.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 20:26]
First derby game memories? on 20:26 - Sep 1 with 3624 viewsFtnfwest

First derby game memories? on 19:58 - Sep 1 by WestStanderLaLaLa

1980 home 4:2 win. Can’t remember too much about it apart from Clive Woods playing for them.

Ditto, didn’t play that well but still too good for them
First derby game memories? on 20:51 - Sep 1 with 3526 viewspete81

First derby game memories? on 20:03 - Sep 1 by itfcjoe

93 was my 1st at the game, earlier in the season, xmas 92 was the first i had watched (on sky) ....Dozzell bobble hat and all that....
not many people had sky sports in the early days but My dear old grandad had it in for the start of the premier league.
The season before that, away to Liverpool in the cup replay, remember going to Grandads next door neighbours as they were 1 of the few to have sky then was my first game on t.v and it was so exiting....Until Mcmanamans late strike....
First derby game memories? on 20:58 - Sep 1 with 3493 viewspatrickswell

First derby game memories? on 20:25 - Sep 1 by PJH

Yes, I can't remember who flattened D'Avray either but as you say it took quick thinking by the ref because he was in a bad way.

I seem to remember either Gatesy or Alan Sunderland missing a very good chance which would have just about tied the game up and then the Bruce header at the end.

Terry Butcher (allegedly) put his foot through the dressing room door after the game.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 20:26]

Not forgetting Louie Donowa attempting to destroy Trevor Putney’s Achilles’ tendon with a two footed jump into him. The linesman intervening before Putney could punch him in retaliation. Keith Hackett only booked Donowa, naturally.
First derby game memories? on 21:05 - Sep 1 with 3466 viewsbluebudgie

1968 it was Norwich away, I went with my Dad and what a match it ended 4-3 to Town with Viljoen getting a hat-trick after we were 2-0 down. Happy days !
First derby game memories? on 22:06 - Sep 1 with 3379 viewsAbujaBlue

Gunn's air kick. Right behind the goal for that one.
First derby game memories? on 22:11 - Sep 1 with 3371 viewsjudespiveyg

Watching Grant Holt score a hat-trick against us. It's fair to say the derby doesn't hold many happy memories for me.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

First derby game memories? on 22:13 - Sep 1 with 3362 viewsITFC_Forever

The first one I went to was the ZDS when Milton’s extra-time screamer beat them.

First away was February 1991, the infamous lock-out which we lost 0-2, but we managed to get in the River End.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024