Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hurst: The question-marks 19:37 - Sep 2 with 605 viewsnshearman1

So we're 7 games in to the season (including Exeter). Opinion on here seems to have moved from allowing judgements after 5-6 games to 10-12 games now, so perhaps this thread should summarise what we might call 'question-marks', especially as players incredibly are still coming in.

I should say that I fully support Hurst, I like a lot of what he says, and we're getting more positive entertaining and aspirational football than under Mick, and I think the football will get better and better. But the questions remain.

Hurst has brought in more than a full team's worth of players while losing 3-4 key people (not his fault) but there has to be a question over whether he has brought in quantity over quality and inevitably caused greater confusion as to what his best team is.

Bart is a shadow of his former self, our two-yearly Player Of The Year. This may well be mainly his own fault, perhaps a lack of adaptability, perhaps a hangover from the World Cup, but does Hurst also need to shoulder at least some of the responsibility?

Both Donacien (unlucky to be left out today) and Nsiala look like good acquisitions, but the CH problem that was exacerbated by the selling of Webster is still an issue. Pennington looks a fine addition but as a loan who I think is unlikely to be bought, he is short-term sticking plaster over a quite major issue for the team. Collins would be an even shorter-term temporary addition. Hurst has had to spend long long hours on this problem and it doesn't look solved. In addition, Chambers isn't getting any better, opinions are mixed about Knudsen, and as Lord Harry has pointed out they seem to have taken longer to adapt to the new style and system.

With all this in mind, there has to be a question over why Emmanuel has been deemed better off at Shrewsbury for the season in order to get games (having been Rotherham's Young Player Of The Year last season) while Kenlock instead sits warming the bench?

Furthermore, given all this, was the decision to make the highly talented Chalobah a midfielder when he seems to have been known primarily as a CH a good idea?

We have been over-loaded with too many central midfielders for a long time now, but was the decision to send a number of our younger talents out on loans and bring in others a useful strategy at this stage? Perhaps too early to say. But there has to be a doubt about Nolan in particular given his importance to the team (and Hurst), and based on his performances thus far.

The point about bringing in wingers was an entirely right and positive one and Edwards in particular looks a fantastic signing. But the jury has to be out on Roberts and Graham too.

Similarly Harrison and Jackson have failed so far to light up the League and don't look entirely comfortable as the isolated striker. However, Walters is a wonderfully exciting acquisition who may just make the difference in making this system work up front and become a hero all over again. His experience is important too given the number of players who have limited experience above League 1.

I really really hope Hurst has the answer to all these issues.

Anyway, the only way is up, and I believe that will be achieved. However, the number of loans now in place - short-term solutions - reflects the fact that in spite of this fresh strategy brought in by Hurst, the fundamental problem is the lack of larger funding invested by the owner - not only on the team BTW, but also on the maintenance and upkeep of Portman Road and its services. Put simply, we are a club that continues to sell is best players. Without that greater investment, I cannot see us ever getting promotion from this Division.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024