Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nike? 14:06 - Sep 4 with 3611 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

What are peoples thoughts on the news today of Colin Kaepernick (among others) being used as the face of their new campaign.

Personally I really like/respect the bloke & what he's doing. Though it seems that the backlash in the states has happened already..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/45407340

I think it's great of them to use Black athletes and Inspirational quotes in the current climate. My absolute favourite is Shaquem Griffin, that guy is a real inspiration.
on 14:07 - Sep 4 with 3592 views_

Nike? on 14:11 - Sep 4 with 3572 viewsSpruceMoose

I imagine they have made the assessment that it'll get them some money/good PR exposure. I doubt they really care about the issue.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Nike? on 14:11 - Sep 4 with 3572 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

The irony of white middle class Americans burning their (many) Nike trainers in protest to this.
When those who the initial protests were for couldn't afford such luxury
Nike? on 14:12 - Sep 4 with 3561 viewschicoazul

It seems to have annoyed all the right people so that's good.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Nike? on 14:13 - Sep 4 with 3559 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Nike? on 14:11 - Sep 4 by SpruceMoose

I imagine they have made the assessment that it'll get them some money/good PR exposure. I doubt they really care about the issue.

I'm just waiting for theDonald to make a statement that "Nike is Bad" and this will be "not good for Sales"

But yes, clearly there is a huge amount of 'No such thing as bad publicity' with this
Nike? on 14:14 - Sep 4 with 3554 viewsJakeITFC

More telling that Nike have stood by Kaepernick throughout all of this, good on them.
Nike? on 14:14 - Sep 4 with 3550 viewsLankHenners

Great move by Nike for all the reasons of using a figure who, as the slogan used says, had to make big sacrifices to stand up for something important that he believes in.

It also means you've got the incredibly funny meltdown of right wing bellends destroying their own sportswear, some of them hospitalising themselves because they set fire to their own Nike trainers while they were still wearing them.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Nike? on 14:15 - Sep 4 with 3541 viewsSpruceMoose

Nike? on 14:11 - Sep 4 by King_of_Portman_Rd

The irony of white middle class Americans burning their (many) Nike trainers in protest to this.
When those who the initial protests were for couldn't afford such luxury

It's also worth noticing the Nike have been widely criticised for their employment and environmental practices - including the use of child labour and violations of wage and overtime laws in the factories where they manufacture their shoes.

So forgive me if I'm skeptical that they are motivated by honourable reasons here.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 14:16]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Nike? on 14:16 - Sep 4 with 3535 viewsSwansea_Blue

When I saw the news about the campaign this morning I thought it was a brave and strong thing to do (despite it clashing with my views about massive multinationals using cheap labour to rip off consumers).

I didn't think about a possible backlash, but it doesn't surprise me. Sadly, there's a lot of people over there (and everywhere probably) who don't want to be inspired. They're blinded by a fanatical nationalistic streak.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nike? on 14:18 - Sep 4 with 3515 viewsITFC_Forever

We should also clarify it is pronounced "Nike" to rhyme with bike, not "Nikey" to rhyme with "Mikey".

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Nike? on 14:21 - Sep 4 with 3493 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I find it wholeheartedly depressing to think that we live in a world where a person can be stopped by a police officer, having done nothing wrong, and being absolutely terrified that they will be shot dead.

Well done to Kaepernick for finding a way to give this the audience it deserves. It is quite incredible that people think that this is disrespecting the military. It is simply a vehicle to promote a very worthy issue to the attention of those who would rather just ignore it because it doesn't have any bearing on them.

The whole irony here of course is the right to freedom of speech, people fighting for their freedom etc and then suggesting a group of people are not free to kneel during a song.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Nike? on 14:25 - Sep 4 with 3463 viewsslump

Nike? on 14:15 - Sep 4 by SpruceMoose

It's also worth noticing the Nike have been widely criticised for their employment and environmental practices - including the use of child labour and violations of wage and overtime laws in the factories where they manufacture their shoes.

So forgive me if I'm skeptical that they are motivated by honourable reasons here.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 14:16]

Maybe that is a thing of the past that they have rectified? We'll see I guess....

2 Sept 2017
Nike’s refusal to cooperate with a respected civil society organization flew in the face of the growing trend towards supply chain transparency — a trend that Nike helped to start. As a result of intense campaigning by workers, students and activists, Nike stepped forward this week and made groundbreaking commitments to independent monitoring of working conditions at the factories that make Nike clothes and shoes.

https://laborrights.org/blog/201709/nike-signs-factory-access-agreement

UTT

Nike? on 14:32 - Sep 4 with 3431 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Really like this short video from american politician (in Texas) Beto O'Rourke

Nike? on 14:37 - Sep 4 with 3413 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nike? on 14:18 - Sep 4 by ITFC_Forever

We should also clarify it is pronounced "Nike" to rhyme with bike, not "Nikey" to rhyme with "Mikey".

So we're pronouncing it 'Nike' then, not 'Nike'?

Nike? on 14:38 - Sep 4 with 3404 viewsITFC_Forever

Nike? on 14:37 - Sep 4 by Swansea_Blue

So we're pronouncing it 'Nike' then, not 'Nike'?

Exactly.

Nike? on 14:40 - Sep 4 with 3402 viewshomer_123

Apart from it's not:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/virals/10871877/Nike-or-Nikey-10-of-t

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Nike? on 14:40 - Sep 4 with 3397 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Nike? on 14:52 - Sep 4 with 3357 viewsITFC_Forever

Nike? on 14:40 - Sep 4 by homer_123

Apart from it's not:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/virals/10871877/Nike-or-Nikey-10-of-t

They're wrong. And their interpretation of the English language is also wrong.

The power of the English language is stronger than the power of some US brand.

Nike? on 14:55 - Sep 4 with 3344 viewsBueller

I think this is incorrect. I am sure the chairman confirmed it to be 'Nikey' a few years ago.
Nike? on 15:02 - Sep 4 with 3318 viewsITFC_Forever

Nike? on 14:55 - Sep 4 by Bueller

I think this is incorrect. I am sure the chairman confirmed it to be 'Nikey' a few years ago.

He's wrong. See above.

Nike? on 15:04 - Sep 4 with 3305 viewsBryanPlug

Nike? on 14:55 - Sep 4 by Bueller

Nike? on 15:07 - Sep 4 with 3290 viewsPhilTWTD

Nike? on 14:52 - Sep 4 by ITFC_Forever

They're wrong. And their interpretation of the English language is also wrong.

The power of the English language is stronger than the power of some US brand.

It's Greek, named after the goddess of victory. I wonder if there was a goddess of consistent mid-table mediocrity.
Nike? on 15:08 - Sep 4 with 3282 viewsBryanPlug

Nike? on 15:07 - Sep 4 by PhilTWTD

It's Greek, named after the goddess of victory. I wonder if there was a goddess of consistent mid-table mediocrity.

Nike? on 16:10 - Sep 4 with 3147 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nike? on 15:08 - Sep 4 by BryanPlug

Nike? on 17:19 - Sep 4 with 3060 viewsfactual_blue

Nike? on 15:07 - Sep 4 by PhilTWTD

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024