Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, who is our number one now? 15:54 - Sep 4 with 4404 viewsSpruceMoose

Apologies if this was covered in any depth over the weekend ( I know Libby and I touched on it for a few posts), but who the heck is our number one now?

DG doesn't deserve to be dropped off the back of his performance, but for me, Bart is our number one and never should have been dropped for Sunday in the first place.

I think Hurst has created a problem for himself here.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 15:55]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So, who is our number one now? on 15:57 - Sep 4 with 3250 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Bart should never have been dropped in a million years, everything he has done for this club over the past 3 years. He could have easily got from the best keeper the starting for the u23's last night in the space of a couple of weeks. A couple of poor performances doesn't merit a drop considering everything he has done. More trust should have been installed in him.

BUT on the other hand does let everybody know, no position or person is safe. But just think he has used the wrong example.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

So, who is our number one now? on 15:58 - Sep 4 with 3242 viewsSpruceMoose

So, who is our number one now? on 15:57 - Sep 4 by TheTrueBlue1878

Bart should never have been dropped in a million years, everything he has done for this club over the past 3 years. He could have easily got from the best keeper the starting for the u23's last night in the space of a couple of weeks. A couple of poor performances doesn't merit a drop considering everything he has done. More trust should have been installed in him.

BUT on the other hand does let everybody know, no position or person is safe. But just think he has used the wrong example.

I agree. So what does Hurst do? Stick with DG or bring back Bart and make it look like he has no idea what he is doing?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

So, who is our number one now? on 16:00 - Sep 4 with 3235 viewsTractorCam

So, who is our number one now? on 15:58 - Sep 4 by SpruceMoose

I agree. So what does Hurst do? Stick with DG or bring back Bart and make it look like he has no idea what he is doing?

Ultimately he now has to stick with Gerken until he makes a couple of mistakes/ gets injured.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

So, who is our number one now? on 16:01 - Sep 4 with 3232 viewshype313

So, who is our number one now? on 15:58 - Sep 4 by SpruceMoose

He has to stick with Gerken otherwise it looks like he's just dropping people willy nilly, for no good reason.

Appreciate he wants to stamp his authority, but he has some strange ways in the way he goes about things. Yes Bart hasn't been up to his usual standards, but I actually think keeping faith in someone is a far stronger message to send out.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So, who is our number one now? on 16:02 - Sep 4 with 3227 viewsBasuco

It will be a wakeup call for Bart to know there is no clear No.1, the rest of the squad now know any letup in effort and commitment will result in giving another player a start and a chance to prove to the manager he should be a regular starter. Good management in my opinion.
So, who is our number one now? on 16:03 - Sep 4 with 3218 viewsScuzzer

Gerkin….he has it on the back of his shirt.

Established 1968

So, who is our number one now? on 16:04 - Sep 4 with 3217 viewsSpruceMoose

So, who is our number one now? on 16:01 - Sep 4 by hype313

He has to stick with Gerken otherwise it looks like he's just dropping people willy nilly, for no good reason.

Appreciate he wants to stamp his authority, but he has some strange ways in the way he goes about things. Yes Bart hasn't been up to his usual standards, but I actually think keeping faith in someone is a far stronger message to send out.

Seems like such a knee jerk reaction, and can't give the players any comfort that if they hit a dodgy spell for a couple of games then they won't just get lashed into the under 23s. Which depending on your point of view could be a good or bad atmosphere to foster.

I am sure Bart is professional enough to take this in his stride, but I bet he was shocked and disappointed by Hurst's call.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 16:05]

So, who is our number one now? on 16:12 - Sep 4 with 3175 viewshype313

So, who is our number one now? on 16:04 - Sep 4 by SpruceMoose

Seems like such a knee jerk reaction, and can't give the players any comfort that if they hit a dodgy spell for a couple of games then they won't just get lashed into the under 23s. Which depending on your point of view could be a good or bad atmosphere to foster.

I am sure Bart is professional enough to take this in his stride, but I bet he was shocked and disappointed by Hurst's call.

To me it just shows any mistakes will mean you are out of the first team, it just breeds nervousness, whilst making the players feel that it would be better served to play safe all the time, rather than trying to create an opportunity.

I'm really not sold on Hurst's management style so far, I truly hope to be proved wrong and he gets us firing on all cylinders, but for me, the jury's out on Hurst.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 16:18]

Login to get fewer ads

So, who is our number one now? on 16:14 - Sep 4 with 3159 viewsSpruceMoose

So, who is our number one now? on 16:12 - Sep 4 by hype313

To me it just shows any mistakes will mean you are out of the first team, it just breeds nervousness, whilst making the players feel that it would be better served to play safe all the time, rather than trying to create an opportunity.

I'm really not sold on Hurst's management style so far, I truly hope to be proved wrong and he gets us firing on all cylinders, but for me, the jury's out on Hurst.

That's more in line with how I am feeling currently. There's a difference between players feeling enabled to take chances with their play and being too comfortable in the security of their position.

It's like me on here. My posting is not what it could be as I fear the draconian banhammer Phil wields over my head daily.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 16:15]

So, who is our number one now? on 16:17 - Sep 4 with 3140 viewshype313

So, who is our number one now? on 16:14 - Sep 4 by SpruceMoose

That's more in line with how I am feeling currently. There's a difference between players feeling enabled to take chances with their play and being too comfortable in the security of their position.

It's like me on here. My posting is not what it could be as I fear the draconian banhammer Phil wields over my head daily.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 16:15]

It's the vice like grip he holds over all of us, could say something utterly brilliant, but pull back just in case I get a red flashing light.

Feel like I have Uriah Rennie over my shoulder.

So, who is our number one now? on 16:19 - Sep 4 with 3135 viewsNSL

Imo fiddling around with this position is the least of his worries and he didn’t need to throw it up in the air at this exact point in time. Gerken will make mistakes, we all know that but I’m not sure it will improve Bart.

Poll: Who was primarily at fault for the defensive mix-up yesterday?

So, who is our number one now? on 16:19 - Sep 4 with 3126 viewschristiand

Dean Gerken. If you were him and played decently without making a mistake against Norwich City would you expect to be dropped for the next game? The simple answer is no. From Gerken's point of view it sends the wrong message if he is just simply dropped. Bart is the better goalkeeper IMO, but he's not covered himself in glory so Pickle is the current No.1 and Bart will need to train hard, wait his turn and play bloody well when he gets his next opportunity. I actually don't think it'll do him any harm and hopefully give Bart his hunger back sitting on the bench.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

So, who is our number one now? on 16:20 - Sep 4 with 3119 viewsSpruceMoose

So, who is our number one now? on 16:17 - Sep 4 by hype313

It's the vice like grip he holds over all of us, could say something utterly brilliant, but pull back just in case I get a red flashing light.

Feel like I have Uriah Rennie over my shoulder.

I would have gone with this fella myself...

Don't hold back on your posts. It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission.

[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 16:21]

So, who is our number one now? on 16:21 - Sep 4 with 3113 viewshype313

So, who is our number one now? on 16:20 - Sep 4 by SpruceMoose

I would have gone with this fella myself...

Don't hold back on your posts. It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission.

[Post edited 4 Sep 2018 16:21]

To be fair, both are folically challenged.

Like me, I haste to add...

So, who is our number one now? on 16:24 - Sep 4 with 3099 viewsKeaneish

Disagree. Its irrelevant what he's done for years. new season, new dawn. He's been terrible in 6 games. How much longer a run can you give a keeper? Maybe being dropped is the wake-up call he needs after a World Cup and lucrative contract...

He's been at fault for us not winning games this season with some very bad errors.

I'm a big Bart fan and still think he's our number one. If he trains well in the next 2 weeks, and fairs well in a good sit down chat with Hurst, bring him back in.

Irony is though, he would have had little to do against them lot on Sunday.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

So, who is our number one now? on 16:26 - Sep 4 with 3084 viewsElderGrizzly

So, who is our number one now? on 16:04 - Sep 4 by SpruceMoose

I think it was me and SuperFrans on here last night, that you could put 5 or 6 goals down to Bart's mistakes across 5 games.

It wasn't one or two and if an outfield player had made that many costly mistakes his place would be under threat.

Hurst couldn't win, as he is saying if there are poor performances your place is at risk, but if he then doesn't follow through, players out of the team think he has his favourites and they will never get a crack.
So, who is our number one now? on 16:31 - Sep 4 with 3060 viewsstrikalite

So, who is our number one now? on 16:12 - Sep 4 by hype313

Bart has made a number of mistakes though, he won't drop a player for odd mistakes within a game, but a series of mistakes within a few games(Bart)then you know someone is lining up to take your place, they know that anyway..

There is no "number one" keeper, you earn the shirt , just like everyone else competing within the squad for a place, that's how it should be too, keeps everybody on their toes and focused.
So, who is our number one now? on 16:34 - Sep 4 with 3046 viewshype313

So, who is our number one now? on 16:31 - Sep 4 by strikalite

Bart has made a number of mistakes though, he won't drop a player for odd mistakes within a game, but a series of mistakes within a few games(Bart)then you know someone is lining up to take your place, they know that anyway..

There is no "number one" keeper, you earn the shirt , just like everyone else competing within the squad for a place, that's how it should be too, keeps everybody on their toes and focused.

Hurst has infinitely more experience than myself on football management, so if he thinks that's the best way to go about creating squad unity and building relationships from the back, then who am I to argue, I will bow to his superior knowledge.

So, who is our number one now? on 16:40 - Sep 4 with 3033 viewsMullet

So, who is our number one now? on 16:26 - Sep 4 by ElderGrizzly

I think it was me and SuperFrans on here last night, that you could put 5 or 6 goals down to Bart's mistakes across 5 games.

It wasn't one or two and if an outfield player had made that many costly mistakes his place would be under threat.

Hurst couldn't win, as he is saying if there are poor performances your place is at risk, but if he then doesn't follow through, players out of the team think he has his favourites and they will never get a crack.

Which ones?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So, who is our number one now? on 16:46 - Sep 4 with 3018 viewsSuperfrans

Managers have had fans turn on them for sticking with "their favourites". Bart is clearly not immune from this, nor should he be. Five goals out of the last 9 we have conceded can be laid at Bart's door, I'm afraid. That's just not good enough.

I do agree that Hurst has a tough decision to make next though. Two weeks off. Does Gerken now retain the jersey for the Hull game? It would be unfair of him to lose it, given that he did nothing wrong on Sunday.

I reckon he'll remain in situ. It's Bart's turn to sit it out.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

So, who is our number one now? on 16:46 - Sep 4 with 3014 viewschristiand

So, who is our number one now? on 16:40 - Sep 4 by Mullet

Which ones?

Without giving it too much thought, both of the Sheffield Wednesday goals.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

So, who is our number one now? on 16:48 - Sep 4 with 3007 viewsPJH

So, who is our number one now? on 16:40 - Sep 4 by Mullet

Which ones?

I was wondering that.
Certainly the first Blackburn one and probably he should have done better with the second Derby one.
The defence as a whole had looked insecure with the ball in the air and Bart's performances had done nothing to improve on that but I am finding it difficult to blame him directly for "5 or 6" goals.
So, who is our number one now? on 16:49 - Sep 4 with 3001 viewsMullet

So, who is our number one now? on 16:46 - Sep 4 by christiand

Without giving it too much thought, both of the Sheffield Wednesday goals.

Chalobah just as much at fault for one, so you can argue both have been dropped for that given the Blackburn opener too.

Can't tell if this is Hurst being ruthless or digging his own grave. He certainly needs to back himself and get results too. I'm still surprised it was Donacien he dropped this Sunday out of the squad completely given who he went with.

So, who is our number one now? on 16:55 - Sep 4 with 2980 viewsSuperfrans

So, who is our number one now? on 16:48 - Sep 4 by PJH

I was wondering that.
Certainly the first Blackburn one and probably he should have done better with the second Derby one.
The defence as a whole had looked insecure with the ball in the air and Bart's performances had done nothing to improve on that but I am finding it difficult to blame him directly for "5 or 6" goals.

If you go back and look at all of the goals we have conceded this season (they're all under the Interactive tab above), you can make a case for the following. Possibly the Derby one is harsh, but not the rest.

Of course, none of this means that Bart is the only one at fault in all of these cases, but a more decisive, stronger, more confident keeper would have done much better.

Blackburn 2-2
1 — free-kick, header across box, two attempts to punch clear. Bart at fault.
2 — break down our left, Spence injured, nobody tracking winger, cross to score from close in. Can’t blame Bart.

Rotherham 0-1
1 — stupid free-kick, melee in box, swinger into top corner. Can’t blame Bart.

Villa 1-1
1 — whipped cross, bullet header. Can’t blame Bart.

Exeter 1-1
1 — sloppy defending from low struck freekick, Bart should have saved it. Bart at fault (as well as other players, of course).

Derby 0-2
1 — second phase after a corner, shot from distance into top corner, can’t blame Bart.
2 — free kick from distance, straight at home, possibly unsighted / deflection. But ought to have stopped it. Bart at fault.

Sheff Wed 1-2
1 — came for the ball, didn’t get it. Bart at fault.
2 — came for the ball, even further out, didn’t get it. Flapped for the follow up header. Bart at fault.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

So, who is our number one now? on 16:59 - Sep 4 with 2965 viewsMullet

So, who is our number one now? on 16:48 - Sep 4 by PJH

I was wondering that.

It's a nonsense to blame him and not the manager for his inconsistent selections, defenders who don't clear their lines, lose their man etc.

If we're talking about goals against Derby, both were deflected and one was a worldie. I just don't see it.

As I said after Sunday, Gerken's short distribution was very good and we were far less pressured or prone to mistakes, so that's the logical basis I can see for his selection. But I still don't buy it completely. It seems to me as the Blue Monday boys suggested, Hurst setting down a marker.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024