Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Job Interview 21:50 - Sep 4 with 19331 viewsyorkshireblue

I mentioned on another thread a few weeks back some issues I was having with work (chronically understaffed meaning I am working from 9am-11pm most week days, and putting in 8-10 hour days over the weekend) and am delighted to say I've got a job interview lined up.

Now it's been a while since I had an interview. Any advice?

I'm confident with any skill based questions but other than that what should I expect? Also, I don't think I have any questions for them (I've grilled an ex-colleague who works there), but what sort of thing should I be asking?

Thanks
Job Interview on 22:20 - Sep 4 with 9066 viewsfactual_blue

Some questions about cheese and Gatwick would be sensible.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

on 22:27 - Sep 4 with 9047 views_

Job Interview on 22:36 - Sep 4 with 9028 viewsOldsmoker

Ask about the Pension. It shows you intend to stay there forever.
Ask to see where you'd be sitting (if its an office) because last one in gets the rubbish desk near the toilets or underneath the air conditioner.
Don't mention the war.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Job Interview on 22:39 - Sep 4 with 9020 viewsPaphosBlue

Look at the competencies of the job (essential and desirable) and then think about examples of when you have demonstrated those skills/competencies then when you are asked to give an example of when you have....you will already have an answer. Try to ask questions about the job itself which demonstrate you have thought about the job and are not just applying for anything Good luck

Poll: What would Lambert have to do for you to accept him as Manager

Job Interview on 08:15 - Sep 5 with 8822 viewsJimmyJazz

A typical question they ask is where do you see yourself in 3 years time, so turn it around and ask them where they see the successful candidate in 3 years time.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Job Interview on 08:19 - Sep 5 with 8812 viewsclive_baker

You’ll probably be invited to ask questions at the end. If it hasn’t come up already, ask about them. How they got where they are and the route they’ve taken. People love talking about themselves and it shows an interest in who you’ll be working with etc

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Job Interview on 08:19 - Sep 5 with 8812 viewsSuperfrans

Be complementary about the company, be enthusiastic about the job.

Make sure you know the company inside out, understand the job you are applying for.

Try and relax. (best way of doing this - without becoming cocky, remind yourself that you're good at what you do, you're a hard worker, they'd be lucky to have you).

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Job Interview on 08:24 - Sep 5 with 8799 viewsBrixtonBlue

Remember you're interviewing THEM as well, to see if they're worthy of your talents.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Job Interview on 10:22 - Sep 5 with 8671 viewsKeno

Tell them you are an immigrant

Everyone knows that they get all the jobs

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Job Interview on 10:28 - Sep 5 with 8651 viewsSE1blue

Smile.

People like happy people.

Unless you're going for a job as a funeral director, maybe tone it down a notch.

Remember the interviewers names and call them by their names - without over doing it - again, people like to think they are important and of interest to you.

Ask them questions about whats great about the company. Shows you are genuinely interested in the good stuff not just taking a wage and trying to bang Sally from accounts.

Oh and best of luck!
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 10:28]

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Job Interview on 10:38 - Sep 5 with 8623 viewsDeano69

Confident not Cocky/arrogant, that only works in the movies.

Regardless of how much you know about the company have at least one interesting question to ask (even if you know the answer)

If they ask you why you are leaving your current job, don’t say it’s because they are working you 100 hours a week or whatever as it might look like you are looking for an easier life. Say something like you are working in excess of xx hours a week, which I don’t in itself mind as I like to think of myself as a hard worker, but I don’t feel my commitment and energy is being recognised or rewarded.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Job Interview on 10:50 - Sep 5 with 8600 viewssoupytwist

Don't do what I do, I've been for interviews for 9 jobs since being made redundant earlier this year and not got any of them. I've got a second interview on Friday, let's see how that goes.

Good luck.
Job Interview on 10:50 - Sep 5 with 8599 viewsPinewoodblue

Ask them a question you know the answer to, from your grilling of an ex-colleague. You can the judge if bosses and employees are in agreement.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 11:33]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Job Interview on 10:52 - Sep 5 with 8587 viewsSuperfrans

Job Interview on 10:50 - Sep 5 by soupytwist

Don't do what I do, I've been for interviews for 9 jobs since being made redundant earlier this year and not got any of them. I've got a second interview on Friday, let's see how that goes.

Good luck.

That sucks. Must be tough.

But it's worth reading through some of the posts on this thread. There is some good advice here.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Job Interview on 10:56 - Sep 5 with 8574 viewsDeano69

Job Interview on 10:38 - Sep 5 by Deano69

Confident not Cocky/arrogant, that only works in the movies.

Regardless of how much you know about the company have at least one interesting question to ask (even if you know the answer)

If they ask you why you are leaving your current job, don’t say it’s because they are working you 100 hours a week or whatever as it might look like you are looking for an easier life. Say something like you are working in excess of xx hours a week, which I don’t in itself mind as I like to think of myself as a hard worker, but I don’t feel my commitment and energy is being recognised or rewarded.

Oh, and if possible, check to see if you know the boss//interviewer. A friend turned up at an interview to find the father of a 19 year old girl he had been shagging, and had caught them and chased him out of the house. Didn’t end well.

Good luck though

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Job Interview on 11:02 - Sep 5 with 8563 viewsusm

Ask what the mileage rate is for deliveries.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Job Interview on 11:07 - Sep 5 with 8554 viewssoupytwist

Job Interview on 10:52 - Sep 5 by Superfrans

That sucks. Must be tough.

But it's worth reading through some of the posts on this thread. There is some good advice here.

I am working in a part time role that's OK so not all doom and gloom. I think that I've done many of the things that people have mentioned but there's always been a reason not to choose me - not quite the right experience and not being convincing in how I would deal with difficult people being things that have cropped up more than once.

Still, I've got to deliver a presentation on Friday and I'm OK at that. Just need to get it written.
Job Interview on 11:23 - Sep 5 with 8509 viewschicoazul

Research the STAR interview technique. If you are being interviewed by HR they will almost certainly question you along these lines.
Find out the names of the people interviewing them and research them on LinkedIn.
It's impossible to over-dress.
Make it a dialogue not a monologue by either them or you.
If your answer to a given question is "yes" provide an example e.g. have you done X, yes I have and this is what resulted; if it's "no" add a "but" and explain what you would do e.g. have you worked on X, no but I would do this if I did.
Flatter your interviewers by asking them how they managed to progress so far and do so well in the company.
Write them a thank you note afterwards.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Job Interview on 11:48 - Sep 5 with 8454 viewsgreyhound

Ask them what desirable traits to other candidates have that you were unable to evidence from your cv and interview, then provide some examples.
Job Interview on 12:51 - Sep 5 with 8377 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

If you're describing your experience of doing something as part of a team, make sure you don't use the word 'we'. Refer specifically to your own contribution and make it clear 'I did this/that'. You don't want to inadvertently give the impression you were dead weight taking the credit for the rest of the team's work.

I had an interview earlier this year where I fell into the subconscious trap of saying 'we' and the interviewer subsequently gave me feedback saying it made it difficult to tell what I personally had done.

Beyond that, the STAR thing mentioned a few replies above. I never used to take this particularly seriously but when I was told in feedback that my responses 'weren't particularly structured', they told me to stick to STAR and I've tried to think in those terms ever since.
Job Interview on 12:58 - Sep 5 with 8352 viewsfooters

Job Interview on 11:23 - Sep 5 by chicoazul

Research the STAR interview technique. If you are being interviewed by HR they will almost certainly question you along these lines.
Find out the names of the people interviewing them and research them on LinkedIn.
It's impossible to over-dress.
Make it a dialogue not a monologue by either them or you.
If your answer to a given question is "yes" provide an example e.g. have you done X, yes I have and this is what resulted; if it's "no" add a "but" and explain what you would do e.g. have you worked on X, no but I would do this if I did.
Flatter your interviewers by asking them how they managed to progress so far and do so well in the company.
Write them a thank you note afterwards.

Christ I hate those STAR interviews. It's all corporate box-ticking instead of really getting to know someone.

It's difficult to give real advice on the subject as each interview and interviewer are different. My last one was with a real dragon, school mistress type who didn't take to my more relaxed style. Some people love it though, especially in the creative industry.

My advice would just be to be yourself. Some places will love your personality and you'll fit right in; others may turn their noses up at you. Whatever. It's like going on a date- it's pointless if you're not yourself.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Job Interview on 13:00 - Sep 5 with 8344 viewsVaughan8

Don't lie about anything, its bound to catch up with you. And be yourself because you don't want to put a front up and then it isn't a good fit when you start.

As other people said, ask to see where you are sitting as you don't want to accept and get there on the first day sitting on your own in a dark corner or something! haha

Definitely have questions to ask at the end. I remember having quite a few (about 12-15). I don't ask them all cos some have been answered, and I didn't want to spend 45 mins asking them all the questions.

Just try and relax. It can be difficult but the more relaxed the better you will be.

As someone
Job Interview on 13:07 - Sep 5 with 8329 viewsFrimleyBlue

Never accept a glass of water, tea etc... They're not your slaves, and you'll be surprised at how many people actually moan whilst going to get the drink for an interviewee

Firm handshake, look the part and be yourself.

No lies, research the usual.... How long the company have been around, etc etc

Final one, what's your weakness... Ensure you have one, everyone has a weakness but turn it into a positive.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Job Interview on 13:09 - Sep 5 with 8318 viewsfooters

Job Interview on 13:07 - Sep 5 by FrimleyBlue

Never accept a glass of water, tea etc... They're not your slaves, and you'll be surprised at how many people actually moan whilst going to get the drink for an interviewee

Firm handshake, look the part and be yourself.

No lies, research the usual.... How long the company have been around, etc etc

Final one, what's your weakness... Ensure you have one, everyone has a weakness but turn it into a positive.

But don't say you're a workaholic or a perfectionist!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Job Interview on 13:13 - Sep 5 with 8296 viewsRIPbobby

When they ask.. where do you see yourself in 2 years?

Always answer something like... I see myself well accomplished in this role and looking to make myself better at it. But should you think my skillset involves promotion then I would consider this.

So essentially you are saying you are happy with the job and salary and you won't look for anything else. But secretly you will. Lol
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024