Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat 16:12 - Sep 6 with 3426 viewsPJH

Aston Villa for the first of three times that season.

It is so frustrating/disappointing that we did not end 1980/81 as Champions.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:22 - Sep 6 with 3403 viewsfarkenhell

I remember the cup game and the away game in the league. However, I cannot for the life of me recall the league game at home. What was the score?
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:25 - Sep 6 with 3389 viewsPJH

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:22 - Sep 6 by farkenhell

I remember the cup game and the away game in the league. However, I cannot for the life of me recall the league game at home. What was the score?

1-0 Thijssen scored.
I think after one of his twisting dribbles.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:32 - Sep 6 with 3376 viewsBraveDave

If we had won the league (which we should have done as we were a better team than Villa and beat them 3 times) and the FA Cup (Man City's semi final winner should never have been a free kick), then that would have been the treble.

We would have gone on to win the European Cup the next season instead of Villa, and Ipswich would without doubt have been considered as one of England's greatest ever sides. Sigh....
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:33 - Sep 6 with 3370 viewsfarkenhell

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:25 - Sep 6 by PJH

1-0 Thijssen scored.
I think after one of his twisting dribbles.

I can remember vividly the state of Butcher's back when he took off his torn shirt after Peter Withe (the dirty b@stard) raked his studs from top to bottom. But I think that was the cup game.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:47 - Sep 6 with 3338 viewsIllinoisblue

worst thing that ever happened to us that year was beating Villa in the cup. Gave our small squad a bunch of extra games, and gave Villa a rest.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:57 - Sep 6 with 3304 viewsbobwya

I certainly remember the away game because stupidly I somehow went into the Holt end! I dare not say a word and how I managed that when we scored twice I have no idea.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 17:01 - Sep 6 with 3296 viewsPJH

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:57 - Sep 6 by bobwya

I certainly remember the away game because stupidly I somehow went into the Holt end! I dare not say a word and how I managed that when we scored twice I have no idea.

I was in the other end but a load of their supporters got in there just before the end of the game.

We had the title back in our own hands that night.

The attendance was just short of 47500 which was about a thousand more than for the previous Saturday's semi final.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 17:25 - Sep 6 with 3261 viewsJimmyJazz

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:47 - Sep 6 by Illinoisblue

worst thing that ever happened to us that year was beating Villa in the cup. Gave our small squad a bunch of extra games, and gave Villa a rest.

Definitely

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Login to get fewer ads

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 17:35 - Sep 6 with 3234 viewsbluejake78

I went to all 3.ffs only we could bottle it.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 17:42 - Sep 6 with 3214 viewsgosblue

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:47 - Sep 6 by Illinoisblue

I think we played sixty-odd games that season compared to Villa’s forty-something.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:13 - Sep 6 with 3059 viewsFtnfwest

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:57 - Sep 6 by bobwya

Only been to villa park twice. That game having missed the semi just before, and the game 18 months ago when Huws scored the winner. 80-81 still proves the best team doesn’t always win. They had so few injuries that season that they only used 14 players. That was about the size of our squad in those days and I think we had to use 23 or something in total so a lot of very inexperienced or youth players had to step in.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:21 - Sep 6 with 3041 viewsPJH

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:13 - Sep 6 by Ftnfwest

Only been to villa park twice. That game having missed the semi just before, and the game 18 months ago when Huws scored the winner. 80-81 still proves the best team doesn’t always win. They had so few injuries that season that they only used 14 players. That was about the size of our squad in those days and I think we had to use 23 or something in total so a lot of very inexperienced or youth players had to step in.

That was the days of only one sub so most clubs were just first team a couple of fringe players and reserves.
We had a truly great first team but little else.

As you say, Villa only used 14 players and they also played about 20 games less than us.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:32 - Sep 6 with 3027 viewsblueislander

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 17:35 - Sep 6 by bluejake78

I went to all 3.ffs only we could bottle it.

Not sure that "bottled" it is strictly true. Basically it was the Easter weekend that did it for us. Losing to Arsenal on the Saturday, and drawing with Scum on the Monday.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:37 - Sep 6 with 3022 viewsPJH

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:32 - Sep 6 by blueislander

Not sure that "bottled" it is strictly true. Basically it was the Easter weekend that did it for us. Losing to Arsenal on the Saturday, and drawing with Scum on the Monday.

We actually lost in Norfolk-without Thijssen,Mariner and Gates and Burley who had been out since January.

We only won one of our five League games after winning at Villa,lost the other four although the last one was irrelevant.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 20:45]
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:41 - Sep 6 with 3009 viewsgtsb

We should've won it yes but to be fair to Villa they had a great side too. Withe and Shaw were a terrific partnership up front.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:43 - Sep 6 with 3006 viewsblueislander

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:37 - Sep 6 by PJH

We actually lost in Norfolk-without Thijssen,Mariner and Gates and Burley who had been out since January.

We only won one of our five League games after winning at Villa,lost the other four although the last one was irrelevant.

So it was the lack of a big squad, or put another way, too many games that did it. Winning at Villa Park is not " bottling" it.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:49 - Sep 6 with 2986 viewsPJH

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:43 - Sep 6 by blueislander

So it was the lack of a big squad, or put another way, too many games that did it. Winning at Villa Park is not " bottling" it.

I didn't say we bottled it (not sure if you think I did) and injuries and the huge workload took it's toll.

I just wish that we had won it, leaving Villa Park that night it was in our hands.

It is a shame that we did not win the title at least once in SBR's reign.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:56 - Sep 6 with 2971 viewsblueislander

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:49 - Sep 6 by PJH

I didn't say we bottled it (not sure if you think I did) and injuries and the huge workload took it's toll.

I just wish that we had won it, leaving Villa Park that night it was in our hands.

It is a shame that we did not win the title at least once in SBR's reign.

It wasn't you but another poster who said we bottled it.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 21:11 - Sep 6 with 2946 viewsFtnfwest

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:21 - Sep 6 by PJH

That was the days of only one sub so most clubs were just first team a couple of fringe players and reserves.
We had a truly great first team but little else.

As you say, Villa only used 14 players and they also played about 20 games less than us.

It was a few of the older players as well thinking about it that were still around at the time to fill in beyond the 14 or 15 in the main squad, Quarter fit beat, hunter, lambert possibly? Robin turner. Was the last season for many I think.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 21:18 - Sep 6 with 2935 viewslongtimefan

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:32 - Sep 6 by BraveDave

If we had won the league (which we should have done as we were a better team than Villa and beat them 3 times) and the FA Cup (Man City's semi final winner should never have been a free kick), then that would have been the treble.

We would have gone on to win the European Cup the next season instead of Villa, and Ipswich would without doubt have been considered as one of England's greatest ever sides. Sigh....

Not sure about winning the European Cup the following year but you’re right about the Man City free kick in the semi.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 21:20 - Sep 6 with 2931 viewslongtimefan

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 17:01 - Sep 6 by PJH

I was in the other end but a load of their supporters got in there just before the end of the game.

We had the title back in our own hands that night.

The attendance was just short of 47500 which was about a thousand more than for the previous Saturday's semi final.

There was a load of Villa fans who got in our end late in the second half of the semi-final as well.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 21:22 - Sep 6 with 2926 viewslongtimefan

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 20:37 - Sep 6 by PJH

You’re right about the Norwich game. Remember it all too well unfortunately.
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 21:49 - Sep 6 with 2886 viewsBloomBlue

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 16:32 - Sep 6 by BraveDave

Unfortunately we bottled the last game and SBR's tactics were all wrong
I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 21:53 - Sep 6 with 2878 viewsBluespeed225

I have just discovered that on September 6th 1980 we beat on 21:20 - Sep 6 by longtimefan

There was a load of Villa fans who got in our end late in the second half of the semi-final as well.

They left quicker than they came in. Kingfisher lads led the way. The Villa picked the wrong entrance. I went to the away game the next season, they entered our end when the police opened the gates!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024