Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book thread 11:11 - Sep 7 with 5430 viewsSteve_M

Because we haven't done one for a while, what's everyone reading at the moment or read recently that they would recommend?

I'm out of new books at present so looking for suggestions and it would be nice to change the subject on here.

First up Pale Rider an excellent account of the Spanish Flu Pandemic, part history, part science and part anthropology. It's very good and thought provoking about the impact of a similar mutation now.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30335530-pale-rider

Guardian article on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jun/04/pale-rider-laura-spinney-spanish-f

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Book thread on 11:16 - Sep 7 with 3720 viewsKeno

if you want a series to start of Steve Robinsons Jefferson Tayte books aren't bad

this is the first one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Jefferson-Tayte-Genealogical-Mystery-ebook/dp/B00

I really enjoyed the French War Bride

https://www.amazon.co.uk/French-War-Bride-Wedding-Tree-ebook/dp/B01839Q4TU/ref=s

Ben Elton well worth reading

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Again-Ben-Elton-ebook/dp/B00M76WJHC/ref=sr_1_3?s=d

or two brothers

AND

if you havent read it - this is a MUST!!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-John-Cobbold-Eccentric-Football/dp/1848185146

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Book thread on 11:16 - Sep 7 with 3719 viewsWeWereZombies

Not quite just published and all that gushfest but at least I am reading something written in the last ten years - 'Ordinary Thunderstorms' by William Boyd. It got panned a bit when it came out as not up to his usual standard but I am a third of the way through now and it's excellent.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Book thread on 11:19 - Sep 7 with 3708 viewsBrianTablet

Wilding by Isabella Tree

Very interesting book about the wilding project at Knepp Farm.
Bit depressing at how many species we 'nature-loving' Brits have decimated through intensive farming but optimism about how quickly things recover.

She writes beautifully too, descriptive but succinct.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 12:12]

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Book thread on 11:19 - Sep 7 with 3704 viewsitfcjoe

I finished The Mixer by Michael Cox last night - a really interesting look at the history of the PL from a tactical perspective but written in such a way that it is really accessibly. A chapter for each season and an enjoyable read - picked it up cheaply on Kindle (99p)

And then downloaded and started Michael Calvin's new book - State of Play which was10 times as expensive on Kindle, but all his other books have been excellnt. Only read the Prologue but he is basing it on Arthur Hopcraft's A Football man which is a timeless classic.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Book thread on 11:21 - Sep 7 with 3692 viewsfooters

It's been a long, enjoyable summer of reading for me. I've read quite widely and some have been very nice surprises!

Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany - details the extent to which methamphetamine and other drugs were used by the Nazi party and half of Germany during the war. Comes with photos of fascists off their nut. Very decent book.

Cod by Mark Kurlansky - a whole book about cod. Sounds very odd but it's a brilliant read. Everything from the history of cod fishing in Britain to gutting, scaling and preparing- everything you ever wanted to know plus a few hundred pages more about this famous fish!

Alastair Campbell Diaries - only just got round to reading these. Second volume is by far the best imo as it charts the coming to power of New Labour. It's quite drily written and you'll probably need to look up some events to remind yourself of the context but still worth it.

There have been a few more but those really are my pick of the bunch. I'm now reading the plays of Eugene Ionesco and re-reading Under the Volcano- one of my favourites of all time.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Book thread on 11:22 - Sep 7 with 3689 viewsHarry_Palmer

"The healing Sun" by Richard Hobday. A fairly interesting read about the potential healing powers of the Sun and how it was used in many ways for this purpose for centuries.
Book thread on 11:28 - Sep 7 with 3670 viewsTractorJack

Just finished the Barcelona legacy by Jonathan Wilson. Really good insight in to what Cruyff did at Barcelona and how Pep, Van Gaal, Jose etc. have been influenced.
Book thread on 11:29 - Sep 7 with 3665 viewscaught-in-limbo

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25387266-postcards-from-the-end-of-america?a

Currently halfway through. I can see how it might jar with the sensibilities of the most chauvinistic American but based on the reviews, most people really love the book. Really great writing.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Login to get fewer ads

Book thread on 11:31 - Sep 7 with 3661 viewsRyorry

A wonderful trio of non-fiction books for those who enjoy the great outdoors are -

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21118222-the-walker-s-guide-to-outdoor-clues

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29396396-how-to-read-water

https://www.naturalnavigator.com/books-and-library/wild-signs-and-star-paths

Outdoors doesn't even have to be rural - one trick for finding polar N in cities is, he explains, looking at factory roofs!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Book thread on 11:50 - Sep 7 with 3631 viewscaught-in-limbo

Book thread on 11:21 - Sep 7 by footers

It's been a long, enjoyable summer of reading for me. I've read quite widely and some have been very nice surprises!

Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany - details the extent to which methamphetamine and other drugs were used by the Nazi party and half of Germany during the war. Comes with photos of fascists off their nut. Very decent book.

Cod by Mark Kurlansky - a whole book about cod. Sounds very odd but it's a brilliant read. Everything from the history of cod fishing in Britain to gutting, scaling and preparing- everything you ever wanted to know plus a few hundred pages more about this famous fish!

Alastair Campbell Diaries - only just got round to reading these. Second volume is by far the best imo as it charts the coming to power of New Labour. It's quite drily written and you'll probably need to look up some events to remind yourself of the context but still worth it.

There have been a few more but those really are my pick of the bunch. I'm now reading the plays of Eugene Ionesco and re-reading Under the Volcano- one of my favourites of all time.

Mark Kurlansky's follow up to Cod is "The Basque History of the World".

It's a great book and the most sympathetic, most balanced and most accurate description of everything Basque. It was recommended to me by a Basque friend when I arrived here and has served me well in my discussions with radical Basques and radical Spaniards alike. It's also a great read for those who have no intention of ever visiting the area because of Kurlansky's very accessible writing style.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Book thread on 11:58 - Sep 7 with 3611 viewsfooters

Book thread on 11:50 - Sep 7 by caught-in-limbo

It's a great book and the most sympathetic, most balanced and most accurate description of everything Basque. It was recommended to me by a Basque friend when I arrived here and has served me well in my discussions with radical Basques and radical Spaniards alike. It's also a great read for those who have no intention of ever visiting the area because of Kurlansky's very accessible writing style.

Nice one, CIL- sounds a very good read. Added to my monthly book buying list :)

Agreed, he's a very good writer. Anyone that can hold your attention on the subject of cod for three hundred pages must be doing something right!

I'll also add a little plug in here for ABE Books- the best second-hand book website out there. Hundreds of independent book shops with a huge selection to choose from at very reasonable prices ( https://abebooks.co.uk) - just a disclaimer that I don't work for them!

Book thread on 12:56 - Sep 7 with 3538 viewsSteve_M

Book thread on 11:50 - Sep 7 by caught-in-limbo

*Adds to reading list*.

Have you read Giles Tremlett's The Ghosts of Spain? It's the best book I've read about the country.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghosts-Spain-Travels-Through-Countrys/dp/0571279392/ref

I've also just remembered that you recommended 1421 previously and I've not managed to read that yet.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Book thread on 13:01 - Sep 7 with 3522 viewssoupytwist

Book thread on 11:19 - Sep 7 by itfcjoe

I finished The Mixer by Michael Cox last night - a really interesting look at the history of the PL from a tactical perspective but written in such a way that it is really accessibly. A chapter for each season and an enjoyable read - picked it up cheaply on Kindle (99p)

And then downloaded and started Michael Calvin's new book - State of Play which was10 times as expensive on Kindle, but all his other books have been excellnt. Only read the Prologue but he is basing it on Arthur Hopcraft's A Football man which is a timeless classic.

Calvin was on a recent Guardian Football Weekly. His book sounds good and he speaks very well about the state of the game. Living on the volcano is excellent too.
Book thread on 13:02 - Sep 7 with 3514 viewsFenboyBlue

I'm halfway through Ted Morgan's biography about William S Burroughs, "Literary Outlaw".
What a life he lived.
Book thread on 13:37 - Sep 7 with 3456 viewsitfcjoe

Book thread on 13:01 - Sep 7 by soupytwist

Calvin was on a recent Guardian Football Weekly. His book sounds good and he speaks very well about the state of the game. Living on the volcano is excellent too.

All of his books are too - there was a trilogy with regards to Nowhere Men and the youth football one which name escapes me at the moment.

But he also did a book inside Millwall as a club called Family which seems to be made part of the trilogy now as a series of books - all are must reads for big football fans

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Book thread on 13:41 - Sep 7 with 3449 viewsFrimleyBlue

Right,,, readers

How can someone who hasn't ever taken to it, start it.......

What I mean is, do you start small and read a few chapters, then go back the night after to do a few more etc. Or spend a few hours and get through a book to see if you really take to it......

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Book thread on 13:49 - Sep 7 with 3438 viewsfooters

Book thread on 13:41 - Sep 7 by FrimleyBlue

Right,,, readers

How can someone who hasn't ever taken to it, start it.......

What I mean is, do you start small and read a few chapters, then go back the night after to do a few more etc. Or spend a few hours and get through a book to see if you really take to it......

It's just like making love, Frimmers. You'll know what's right when it's happening.

Sometimes you'll be enjoying it so much that you'll finish very quickly. Other times you're sort of enjoying it but to be honest it's a bit of a slog.

Don't take any notice of '100 books you must read' lists or what are considered 'classics'. Find something that appeals to you and take it from there. Reading one book usually leads on to another as you'll have questions or something's piqued your interest in another subject.

Reading is a joy and more people should do it regularly.

Book thread on 13:55 - Sep 7 with 3430 viewsSpruceMoose

Book thread on 13:49 - Sep 7 by footers

It's just like making love, Frimmers. You'll know what's right when it's happening.

Sometimes you'll be enjoying it so much that you'll finish very quickly. Other times you're sort of enjoying it but to be honest it's a bit of a slog.

Don't take any notice of '100 books you must read' lists or what are considered 'classics'. Find something that appeals to you and take it from there. Reading one book usually leads on to another as you'll have questions or something's piqued your interest in another subject.

Reading is a joy and more people should do it regularly.

"It's just like making love, Frimmers."

It's better done drunk, and I do often finish a book in tears wondering what the hell I've done with my life. So you're correct on that front.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Book thread on 13:56 - Sep 7 with 3426 viewsfooters

Book thread on 13:55 - Sep 7 by SpruceMoose

"It's just like making love, Frimmers."

It's better done drunk, and I do often finish a book in tears wondering what the hell I've done with my life. So you're correct on that front.

You still do that? I thought you were married?

Book thread on 14:05 - Sep 7 with 3400 viewsSuperfrans

Book thread on 11:21 - Sep 7 by footers

Blitzed is great, I really liked that. Quite fascinating.

I've just finished Michael Calvin's State Of Play, which is great - the latest in his series of books looking under the skin of the football industry. This one is much more broadbased, and looks at all sides, from the players, the fans, the clubs, the finance. Excellent book.

I'm currently reading From The Corner Of The Oval Office, which gives an insight into life in the White House, working for Obama, from the perspective of a fairly junior, new member of the team. Very enjoyable so far. Perfect for anyone who likes the TV show The West Wing... As I do...

I also read Convenience Store Woman a month or so ago - very light, enjoyable read, fairly whimsical, funny tale of a... woman who works in a convenience store.

And a final two from many months ago. A Very British Coup by Chris Mullin is utterly superb, written in the Eighties (I think) it essentially predicts the rise of a left-wing union leader, to become PM and how the establishment brings him down. Brilliant book.

As is I Hate The Internet by Jarett Kobek, which is a satire on the development of the tech industry, its impact on San Fransisco and on modern life in general.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Book thread on 14:09 - Sep 7 with 3391 viewsSpruceMoose

Last novel I read was Warren Ellis - Crooked Little Vein.

That was a nicely violent and darkly humourous romp.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Book thread on 14:11 - Sep 7 with 3386 viewsjontysnut

Spies. Re-read Le Carre's The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and his latest/possibly last A Strange Kind of Traitor which revisits events and characters a generation on. A master.. Also Mick Herron's blackly funny Jackson Lamb novels about failed spooks.

George Pelecanos Derek Strange series and Edward St Aubyn's Patrick Melrose novels

Harry Pearson's The Far Corner. Got to be 25 years old now but still one of the best and funniest books about football
Book thread on 14:13 - Sep 7 with 3380 viewsfooters

Book thread on 14:05 - Sep 7 by Superfrans

Blitzed is great, I really liked that. Quite fascinating.

I've just finished Michael Calvin's State Of Play, which is great - the latest in his series of books looking under the skin of the football industry. This one is much more broadbased, and looks at all sides, from the players, the fans, the clubs, the finance. Excellent book.

I'm currently reading From The Corner Of The Oval Office, which gives an insight into life in the White House, working for Obama, from the perspective of a fairly junior, new member of the team. Very enjoyable so far. Perfect for anyone who likes the TV show The West Wing... As I do...

I also read Convenience Store Woman a month or so ago - very light, enjoyable read, fairly whimsical, funny tale of a... woman who works in a convenience store.

And a final two from many months ago. A Very British Coup by Chris Mullin is utterly superb, written in the Eighties (I think) it essentially predicts the rise of a left-wing union leader, to become PM and how the establishment brings him down. Brilliant book.

As is I Hate The Internet by Jarett Kobek, which is a satire on the development of the tech industry, its impact on San Fransisco and on modern life in general.

Ah, you've just reminded me about A Very British Coup- been meaning to read that for ages. Going to order it now so I don't forget!

Book thread on 14:20 - Sep 7 with 3369 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

Game of Thrones, already finished the first one. Now looking for the second one, not widely sold in English in Indonesia though, so satisfying my GoT cravings by reading the book set 100 years before the events of GoT, 'A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms'.

I'm well aware that I'm doing it the wrong way round having watched every episode before even touching the books.
Book thread on 14:40 - Sep 7 with 3336 viewsGeoffSentence

Just finished The psychopath Test by Ron Johnson, it's actually the second time I've read it. Really enjoyable read even though it's actually about mental disorders, and most specifically psychopathy.

Now I am reading The Drowners by Ian Galloway

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drowners-Ian-Galloway-ebook/dp/B07CVT5QZC

Phil posted it up on here some time ago as the author is a Town fan and as I like a good read and I like to help fellow Town fans it seemed like a good fit. You'll recognise some of the names. The main character is Mike Burley and his life is falling to pieces big time and he has no idea why.

There's a Billy Clarke, yet to encounter a Cooper, Beattie or Mills, but who knows they may turn up later.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024