Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Karen Bradley. An new low? 15:31 - Sep 7 with 4445 viewsBOjK

The secretary of state for Northern Ireland actually said in an interview:

"When I started this job ... I didn't understand things like when elections are fought, for example, in Northern Ireland - people who are nationalists don't vote for unionist parties and vice versa".

We have some dim bulbs in the house of commons - but surely this is a level of ignorance previously unknown in modern british politics.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 15:35 - Sep 7 with 4419 viewsSpruceMoose

Who's pole did she grease to get a prominent position I wonder...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 15:54 - Sep 7 with 4367 viewsBlueBadger

Blimey, that's registering at least a 5.2 on the Mensch-ometer.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 15:58 - Sep 7 with 4353 viewslinhdi

It's even worse than it seems. Admitting that ignorance publicly surely now makes it absolutely impossible to do her job?
Karen Bradley. An new low? on 15:59 - Sep 7 with 4345 viewsSpruceMoose

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 15:58 - Sep 7 by linhdi

It's even worse than it seems. Admitting that ignorance publicly surely now makes it absolutely impossible to do her job?

Shame based resignations are now a thing of the past inside politics. Just barrel on through until the 24 news cycle moves on and forgets all about it. That's the new approach.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 16:00 - Sep 7 with 4336 viewsBlueBadger

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 15:58 - Sep 7 by linhdi

Post-Brexit vote being An Expert is a shameful thing. Look how being utterly ignorant has helped Jeremy Rhyming-slang's career.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 16:00 - Sep 7 with 4333 viewslowhouseblue

i've re-read it thinking there must be something sensible there that she was trying to say but she just mangled the words. but there really isn't.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 16:13 - Sep 7 with 4271 viewsBlueBadger

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 16:00 - Sep 7 by lowhouseblue

i've re-read it thinking there must be something sensible there that she was trying to say but she just mangled the words. but there really isn't.

The ignorance and incompetence on both sides of The House is utterly depressing. I now people say 'well you get the politicians you deserve' but we can't, as a nation, have been THAT dreadful, can we?

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 16:15 - Sep 7 with 4264 viewsWithnail

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 16:13 - Sep 7 by BlueBadger

The ignorance and incompetence on both sides of The House is utterly depressing. I now people say 'well you get the politicians you deserve' but we can't, as a nation, have been THAT dreadful, can we?

*know.
Login to get fewer ads

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 18:02 - Sep 7 with 4110 viewsBOjK

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 16:13 - Sep 7 by BlueBadger

We treat them terribly.

Obviously Jo Cox was murdered, and Stephen Timms was stabbed.

We expect them to work long hours, away from home for - frankly - relatively little pay. And although some get safe seats and job security that way, there’s a reasonable chance that they would lose their seats in the future, and what kind of job does being an MP set you up for? For every George Osborne there are plenty of anonymous backbenchers wondering what they will do/

Then we abuse them constantly. Imagine every time you posted something on social media you got abused relentlessly. Every time.

It is no wonder that so few talented people consider politics seriously.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 18:05 - Sep 7 with 4097 viewsStokieBlue

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 18:02 - Sep 7 by BOjK

We treat them terribly.

We expect them to work long hours, away from home for - frankly - relatively little pay. And although some get safe seats and job security that way, there’s a reasonable chance that they would lose their seats in the future, and what kind of job does being an MP set you up for? For every George Osborne there are plenty of anonymous backbenchers wondering what they will do/

Then we abuse them constantly. Imagine every time you posted something on social media you got abused relentlessly. Every time.

100% correct.

It's a horrible job. Even if they raised the pay to 250k for an MP I doubt many more talented people would move into politics, it's just not worth it.

Hence we are where we are now.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 18:08 - Sep 7 with 4090 viewsSpruceMoose

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 18:05 - Sep 7 by StokieBlue

100% correct.

It's a horrible job. Even if they raised the pay to 250k for an MP I doubt many more talented people would move into politics, it's just not worth it.

SB

Indeed, yet there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people lining up to participate, and they aren't all doing it because of an overwhelming sense of civic duty. Seems attractive enough to a certain type of B grade individual. Which is how we have ended with the shower we currently have.

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 18:13 - Sep 7 with 4077 viewsSwansea_Blue

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 18:02 - Sep 7 by BOjK

We treat them terribly.

Having worked aside MEPs at least, I don’t agree. It’s a great job. Feelings of self worth for people you help, a decent salary (that’s only the basic remember), willing aides to organise your life/travel/meetings, etc. Yes it’s a labour of love, but many jobs are.

You do need a thick skin, but you do in any job dealing with the public. I’d rather be an MP affecting change than the receptionist in an A&E dept dealing with anger every 10 mins for whatever they earn a year.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 18:50 - Sep 7 with 3999 viewsm14_blue

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 18:05 - Sep 7 by StokieBlue

100% correct.

SB

Yep, spot on.

I can never understand it when people complain about MP's relatively meagre salaries. Do we want talented people to represent us or not?

That said, the comments in the OP are still pretty remarkable.
Karen Bradley. An new low? on 20:46 - Sep 7 with 3876 viewsBOjK

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 18:13 - Sep 7 by Swansea_Blue

Having worked aside MEPs at least, I don’t agree. It’s a great job. Feelings of self worth for people you help, a decent salary (that’s only the basic remember), willing aides to organise your life/travel/meetings, etc. Yes it’s a labour of love, but many jobs are.

You do need a thick skin, but you do in any job dealing with the public. I’d rather be an MP affecting change than the receptionist in an A&E dept dealing with anger every 10 mins for whatever they earn a year.

You are right to an extent. I wouldn’t want to be an nhs receptionist for sure - but the side benefits of being an MP aren’t great. You don’t trouser huge amounts of expenses (at least any more). You get money to cover your expenses when you stay away from home - but any job will do that. You get money for an office and staff. But that goes on an office and staff.

You don’t get bonuses. Although you do get an excellent pension, and the summer break is long.

It must be much better if you happen to both live near and have a constituency near Westminster. But if you spent every week away from your home in - say Manchester. Some people take to those lifestyles, but it must be tough.

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 20:51 - Sep 7 with 3870 viewsStokieBlue

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 20:46 - Sep 7 by BOjK

You are right to an extent. I wouldn’t want to be an nhs receptionist for sure - but the side benefits of being an MP aren’t great. You don’t trouser huge amounts of expenses (at least any more). You get money to cover your expenses when you stay away from home - but any job will do that. You get money for an office and staff. But that goes on an office and staff.

You don’t get bonuses. Although you do get an excellent pension, and the summer break is long.

It must be much better if you happen to both live near and have a constituency near Westminster. But if you spent every week away from your home in - say Manchester. Some people take to those lifestyles, but it must be tough.

Can chuck in a few non-executive director positions for the better ones and possibly a lucrative post-seat defeat for the more famous ones but in general it's not something many people would want to do.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 03:28 - Sep 8 with 3721 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 20:46 - Sep 7 by BOjK

A person should want to become an MP to serve the people, not for money.

If we had MPs doing the job for the right reasons the country would be in much better shape.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 03:46 - Sep 8 with 3711 viewsSpruceMoose

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 03:28 - Sep 8 by The_Last_Baron

If we had MPs doing the job for the right reasons the country would be in much better shape.

I think it boils down to the classic "pay peanuts, get monkeys" situation.

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 09:28 - Sep 8 with 3619 viewsNo9

Bit rough picking out this woman when she is not doing the damage or as incompetent as many in the current cabinet =
Brexit Davis, Grayling, Hunt, Greg Clark, Fox, just to name a few.
Karen Bradley. An new low? on 09:45 - Sep 8 with 3604 viewsGromheort

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 03:46 - Sep 8 by SpruceMoose

I think it boils down to the classic "pay peanuts, get monkeys" situation.

Grub could be used to determine expertise. I didn't know what Colcannon was, undoubtedly indicating my unsuitability as a BBC pundit discussing the Irish question.
Karen Bradley. An new low? on 09:48 - Sep 8 with 3600 viewsgordon

It does seem like our politicians are getting thicker and thicker. I'd always thought Grayling was streets ahead as the thickest cabinet member, but this has now been thrown into question.
Karen Bradley. An new low? on 09:49 - Sep 8 with 3598 viewsMJallday

I think she needs to stick to marking contestants on the apprentice

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 10:02 - Sep 8 with 3572 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 09:49 - Sep 8 by MJallday

I think she needs to stick to marking contestants on the apprentice

Maybe they should both do it and really f^ck it up! Birmingham City's loss WHU's gain!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 13:18 - Sep 8 with 3480 viewsNo9

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 10:02 - Sep 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

Maybe they should both do it and really f^ck it up! Birmingham City's loss WHU's gain!

Have you got the wrong Karen?
Karen Bradley. An new low? on 13:38 - Sep 8 with 3457 viewsSuperblue95

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 13:18 - Sep 8 by No9

Have you got the wrong Karen?

Have you forgotten your sarcasm detector?

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 15:30 - Sep 8 with 3398 viewstabletopjoe

Karen Bradley. An new low? on 03:28 - Sep 8 by The_Last_Baron

I think most of them do, but there’s always the career politicians who tend to grab more of the headlines. Also education standards are not what they used to be

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024