Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TV Licence for live ifollow games? 20:04 - Sep 7 with 6243 viewsJohnyJohnson

Now that ifollow has some live games for UK users, I was wondering if anyone knew if it is ok to watch them without a licence? If it is I will subscribe. The question is, is ifollow classed as a 'channel'? Not 100% clear from below. I only choose to watch non bbc tv on catch up as I don’t mind ‘paying’ for the privilege by watching ads. But would get a licence for ifollow for games I can’t get to, but only if needed.

Did some digging and found these bits from https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence/ :

If you watch or record shows as they're being shown on telly in the UK ('live TV'), you need to be covered by a TV licence. You also need one if you use BBC iPlayer
What counts as 'live TV'?
When we talk about 'live TV', confusingly it isn't necessarily a live episode of a programme, it could be pre-recorded.

'Live TV' is content that's being broadcast on a TV channel. This applies to all channels (including, say, +1 channels) on any mainstream TV platform, including Freeview, Virgin or Sky. Internet-only services such as YouTube or Netflix don't count, though.
Watching live foreign TV in the UK does require a licence
If you watch 'live TV' from a channel that isn't broadcast in the UK (including those picked up via satellite or online), you need to be covered by a valid TV licence.
This is regardless of the country of origin or the language of the broadcast.
TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 20:09 - Sep 7 with 6218 viewsSpruceMoose

"Internet-only services such as YouTube or Netflix don't count, though. "

I would imagine iFollow falls under the same category?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 21:51 - Sep 7 with 6126 viewsSitfcB

You don’t need a TV licence if you don’t watch BBC.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

on 22:14 - Sep 7 with 6101 views_

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 21:51 - Sep 7 by SitfcB

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 22:50 - Sep 7 with 6075 viewsBinner

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 21:51 - Sep 7 by SitfcB

Simply not true.

Watching or recording anything from any source on any device as it is being broadcast requires a licence.

The 'catch-up' services don't require a licence except for BBC programmes which do require a licence.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 23:24 - Sep 7 with 6030 viewsrapier

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 22:50 - Sep 7 by Binner

Simply not true.

Watching or recording anything from any source on any device as it is being broadcast requires a licence.

The 'catch-up' services don't require a licence except for BBC programmes which do require a licence.

So it's a tax
on 23:31 - Sep 7 with 6025 views_

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 23:24 - Sep 7 by rapier

So it's a tax

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 06:23 - Sep 8 with 5897 viewsTownly

on 23:31 - Sep 7 by _

Absolutely spot on.

What incredible value for money and how churlish and skinflint it is to avoid payment.

Furthermore the BBC is an international institution that we should be proud of.

Wake up and smell the coffee OP.
TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 09:23 - Sep 8 with 5789 viewsJohnyJohnson

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 06:23 - Sep 8 by Townly

Absolutely spot on.

What incredible value for money and how churlish and skinflint it is to avoid payment.

Furthermore the BBC is an international institution that we should be proud of.

Wake up and smell the coffee OP.

I knew I would get comments like this. I choose to pay for what I use, I don’t use the BBC or live TV so why should I pay for it? I don’t use Sky also, and don’t pay for it. I do use c4 catch up etc and DO pay, by watching their annoying ads, and that is fair for the great TV they produce. Times are changing and I love the fact we have choice.

I don’t tell anyone else what they should spend their money on so please don’t call me a skinflint for my informed choice. Do you call people skinflints for buying a Ford instead of a Mercedes?

I’d rather spend my money on ITFC rather than the BBC who make a few good programmes but there are lots of other good channels out there making great TV.
Login to get fewer ads

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 09:43 - Sep 8 with 5774 viewsJohnny_Boy

on 23:31 - Sep 7 by _

Fantastic value for money just for Strictly & Eastenders alone. Clearly, I jest.

Where do you stand on the BBC where it seemingly inherits (after public funding) it's lucrative merchandise arm. You know, all those programs, all those box sets, all those BBC radio sessions which get released to the public home & abroad, the vast array of kids toys, the clothing range, home wear etc etc etc? Let's not forget the money it also makes from selling the rights of these shows abroad (Doctor Who, Blue Planet, to name just the 2).

Who pays for the USA station BBC America? It's certainly not the Americans.

The money they make from all those combined annual cash-cows could theoretically be used to fund itself.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2018 9:51]
TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 13:20 - Sep 8 with 5683 viewsNo9

The answer lays in the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/36/contents

Hope that helps
TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 18:50 - Sep 8 with 5595 viewsJohnyJohnson

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 13:20 - Sep 8 by No9

The answer lays in the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/36/contents

Hope that helps

Thanks for the link. Will have a read.
TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 18:52 - Sep 8 with 5592 viewsJohnyJohnson

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 20:09 - Sep 7 by SpruceMoose

"Internet-only services such as YouTube or Netflix don't count, though. "

I would imagine iFollow falls under the same category?

Thanks, that was my gut thought. I wonder if ifollow has a channel on sky or virgin? That may rule it out.
on 12:25 - Sep 10 with 5450 views_

TV Licence for live ifollow games? on 09:23 - Sep 8 by JohnyJohnson

I knew I would get comments like this. I choose to pay for what I use, I don’t use the BBC or live TV so why should I pay for it? I don’t use Sky also, and don’t pay for it. I do use c4 catch up etc and DO pay, by watching their annoying ads, and that is fair for the great TV they produce. Times are changing and I love the fact we have choice.

I don’t tell anyone else what they should spend their money on so please don’t call me a skinflint for my informed choice. Do you call people skinflints for buying a Ford instead of a Mercedes?

I’d rather spend my money on ITFC rather than the BBC who make a few good programmes but there are lots of other good channels out there making great TV.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024