Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Learning to drive ‘late’... 18:41 - Sep 10 with 5838 viewsSitfcB

...at 26 I consider myself to be of the age that not being able to drive is a shock to most when I tell them I don’t drive.

I was never really interested to learn right away at 17 due to not particularly needing to and spending so much money on football!

Now I have a new job based 20ish miles away from home and an early start I kind of need to get it done, currently going to be ‘mopeding’ using back roads, which is fine but when the freezing cold dark mornings come along it’ll be a bit sh&te.

Had a few lessons years ago so know the basics, even passed my theory but that only lasts two years and I did it in 2014! So need to re-do.

When I have had lessons before have found it quite nerve racking, but obviously that must get better with time although I know people that have driven for years and still hate it.

I know it’s pretty expensive these days and a lot harder to do but hoping I can have a lesson once a week for a few months if that and get it done ASAP.

Anyone got any stories/tips for a ‘late’ learner.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 18:50 - Sep 10 with 4368 viewsgiant_stow

maybe do one of those 5 day intensive courses and just get it out the way, especially if you're a bit apprehensive? Just blitz the fcker. Its not hard once you've been doing it a while.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 18:50 - Sep 10 with 4363 viewsBasuco

It might be worth taking a look at the two week intensive courses (or what ever they are) I have heard they are good, but have no actual experience in them, I had 10 lessons and passed my test but that was in 1975.
Learning to drive ‘late’... on 18:55 - Sep 10 with 4332 viewsSpruceMoose

Hold up, I thought you were about 19!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 18:57 - Sep 10 with 4318 viewsSitfcB

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 18:55 - Sep 10 by SpruceMoose

Hold up, I thought you were about 19!

Yes, in my head I am.

COYB

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 18:58 - Sep 10 with 4318 viewsSitfcB

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 18:50 - Sep 10 by giant_stow

maybe do one of those 5 day intensive courses and just get it out the way, especially if you're a bit apprehensive? Just blitz the fcker. Its not hard once you've been doing it a while.

Yes always considered one of those just it’s all the money at once, around £1000 looking at it. Save save save, which I’m not good at ha.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2018 18:59]

COYB

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 18:59 - Sep 10 with 4311 viewsSpruceMoose

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 18:57 - Sep 10 by SitfcB

Yes, in my head I am.

To me, you'll always be Peter Pan.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 19:02 - Sep 10 with 4308 viewsJakeITFC

I passed about two years ago when I was 26 as well.

I was learning at 18 but then spunked all my money on a trip to Ibiza.

I put it off for ages, and as you probably know people who don’t drive just kind of get by without it because they’ve never had the car in the first place.

My advice to you would be to do it as a matter of urgency if possible, it really has changed my life. It is expensive, can be frustrating but it isn’t particularly difficult (and I found it much easier second time round through just being more familiar with roads etc.).

I went with BSM and my instructor was faultless, and I did two-hour lessons. Think it was about £50 a lesson.
Learning to drive ‘late’... on 19:12 - Sep 10 with 4266 viewsHerbivore

I learnt at 27 and did a 4 day intensive course after having a few lessons to get to the point where my clutch control was okay. I passed first time, it worked well for me but I know a few other people that went the intensive route and didn't do so well.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 19:15 - Sep 10 with 4260 viewsFunge

I passed at 25 Sitters, and, as others have said, it's a game-changer when it happens.

I passed with an old boy called Gerald Laws in Holbrook, who was one of the nicest, most patient men in the world (which, as you can appreciate, was probably just as well...). He was in his 50s 15 years ago tho, so might have well retired. Anyway, details here:-

http://www.drivingschoolsfinder.co.uk/city-Ipswich/960639-driving-Laws-Motoring.

Took me 4 goes to pass; older members might remember the names of the examiners on Woodbridge Rd. I had 'Failure' Farrer for my first test, aptly named as I managed to obtain 2 major faults within 30 seconds of starting the test.

Dear old Mr Follington finally passed me on the 4th attempt, and then immediately threatened to overturn his 'pass' decision as I was celebrating too wildly (beeping the horn and punching the sun roof). Try not to do that.

Get involved, sharpish.

NB - oh yeah, a few mates have hit up the intensive driving courses - not highly recommended, as I understand it. Necessitates a week's holiday and about a grand or so, with less than a 20% pass rate...
[Post edited 10 Sep 2018 19:22]
Learning to drive ‘late’... on 19:15 - Sep 10 with 4259 viewsBrixtonBlue

I learnt to drive at 31/32. Can't really give much advice other than you'll find one day it just all sort of clicks.

I never expected to ever learn to drive (because of anxiety stuff when I was younger) and learning was one of my challenges doing CBT. So on test day I wasn't nervous at all as I saw it as a bonus if I passed. Learning itself was the goal and I'd already achieved that. So I passed on that first time because I was so non-plussed about it.

Dunno if that helps your situation!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 19:16 - Sep 10 with 4246 viewsmos

It’s alright, just put the lights on!

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 19:17 - Sep 10 with 4246 viewsJ2BLUE

Get a mate with a car to take you to a car park on a Sunday evening. Have a go round Sainsburys or Makro car parks when it's empty just to get a bit more confidence and practice reversing into a space etc.

The worst thing about driving is that so many drivers seem to be incredibly thick so you need to think for them.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 19:18 - Sep 10 with 4247 viewsIllinoisblue

never drove in England, learnt over here at the age of 34 on the mean streets of Chicago. As for tips; mine would be don't blow through a big ol' STOP sign on the way back to the test centre.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 19:44 - Sep 10 with 4164 viewsSuperfrans

Don’t be too hard on yourself. I didn’t learn (or at least didn’t get round to passing) until I was 34... a fortnight before I had my first daughter, so just in the nick of time. I’ve been ferrying her around ever since....

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 19:59 - Sep 10 with 4109 viewshoppy

Will you be going up to Middlesbrough on the moped?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 20:34 - Sep 10 with 4035 viewsjeera

It doesn't matter bud. You'll be fine.

And once you hit 30 you get to tell everyone who's been driving 25 years longer than you how it should be done anyway.

I think that's how it goes.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 22:29 - Sep 10 with 3836 viewsMeadowlark

...and remember if you're driving on a roundabout in Norfolk or Suffolk that it is illegal to use indicators other than to show your intention of staying on the roundabout after you've already turned off it at the previous exit.
Learning to drive ‘late’... on 23:12 - Sep 10 with 3764 viewsjeera

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 18:50 - Sep 10 by Basuco

It might be worth taking a look at the two week intensive courses (or what ever they are) I have heard they are good, but have no actual experience in them, I had 10 lessons and passed my test but that was in 1975.

Likewise, though a decade later.

I had never driven before, had my first lesson and passed 10 weeks later.

One hour per week at 17 y/o.

Dunno what they were thinking tbh.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 03:50 - Sep 11 with 3631 viewsGuthrum

I learnt when 17 but didn't get round to taking my test until I was 26. Don't know if it made any difference, but passed first time.

Made insurance much cheaper, as two levels beyond mad youth.

Expensive hobby, running a car, but fun if you enjoy driving. Speaking as someone who's just done 2,500 miles in 5 days up and down the Rockies in the US.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 06:06 - Sep 11 with 3563 viewsBenters2

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 19:17 - Sep 10 by J2BLUE

Get a mate with a car to take you to a car park on a Sunday evening. Have a go round Sainsburys or Makro car parks when it's empty just to get a bit more confidence and practice reversing into a space etc.

The worst thing about driving is that so many drivers seem to be incredibly thick so you need to think for them.

I had motorbikes at the age of 5 for the fields,and by 14 i was driving dumpers and forklifts on building sites at the weekend being taught by my older brothers.

At 16 my father used to let me drive his old Scania artic around a old cold store building.

Trouble was when i did learn to drive at 17 my driving instructor said although i knew the basics of driving,over the years id picked up so many bad habits!

Good luck sitters x
Learning to drive ‘late’... on 07:16 - Sep 11 with 3504 viewsgordon

Money down the drain. Wait it out for the driverless cars and skypods.
Learning to drive ‘late’... on 07:52 - Sep 11 with 3476 viewsBLUEBEAT

I didn’t pass my test until I was 33!

I had a full motorcycle licence from the age of 17 and didn’t really need one until a change of job.

I took a 5 day intensive and passed first time.

Having many years road knowledge and an absolute mistrust of all other road users helps a lot.

Width perception was my main issue 😄

Poll: W or W

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 09:42 - Sep 11 with 3386 viewsgainsboroughblue

At least the test centre isn't on Woodbridge Road now and don't have to sit at the top of Warwick Road rolling backwards and stalling 12 times in a row 50 yards from returning.

Ahem.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 11:16 - Sep 11 with 3316 viewsBryanPlug

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 06:06 - Sep 11 by Benters2

I had motorbikes at the age of 5 for the fields,and by 14 i was driving dumpers and forklifts on building sites at the weekend being taught by my older brothers.

At 16 my father used to let me drive his old Scania artic around a old cold store building.

Trouble was when i did learn to drive at 17 my driving instructor said although i knew the basics of driving,over the years id picked up so many bad habits!

Good luck sitters x

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 11:33 - Sep 11 with 3277 viewsAce_High1

Learning to drive ‘late’... on 09:42 - Sep 11 by gainsboroughblue

At least the test centre isn't on Woodbridge Road now and don't have to sit at the top of Warwick Road rolling backwards and stalling 12 times in a row 50 yards from returning.

Ahem.

Haha yes I remember when I did my test there. Not the best location that!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024