Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Labour party.... 08:11 - Sep 11 with 37628 viewsitfcjoe

....I made this mkistake of falling down the Labour rabbit hole on Social Media, it is like rubber necking at an accident site. Absolute carnage on there.

So much in-fighting and disagreements and re-writing of history.

Clair achieved nothing - Sure Start was Tessa Jowell, Minimum Wage was Gordon Brown, etc..............but of course everything bad was solely down to Blair.

Any MP who speaks out about Corbyn or anti-semitism they are trying to get deselected - including someone who won Canterbury for first time (by 186 votes) in forever - although this was all down to Momentum's campaigning and not the candidate at all of course.

Chuka has said that the likes of McDonnell need to 'call off the dogs', you know that common saying.....apparently it means he has called members out as actual dogs. You couldn't make it up.

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious, how do they expect to win an election? All they talk about is how many members they now have as though that is what will win it for them.

I don't understand why being centrist has become such a bad thing, surely most people are or am I just wrong? The nutters I see on both sides of the divide can't be representative of normal people surely? Why don't people want what was New Labour, don't they realise compromises had to be made by likes of Blair and Brown to push through all the reform they did for the poorest people in the country?

It's all very student politics out there, and if there was a GE called now, the Tory party would increase their majority.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Labour party.... on 08:19 - Sep 11 with 7853 viewsSteve_M

It's always been a fascination of the old left for ideological purity and factionalism which is ultimately what drives this. The idea that people might have different viewpoints on issues for honest reasons is anathema. Compromise, the messy business of actually governing a country is selling out (see also pro-Brexit enthusiasts here).

You missed one though, defacing an extant wall of the Warsaw Ghetto with pro-Palestinian graffiti and not understanding why that is anti-Semitic.

The wider British public is also incredibly susceptible to politicians who seem superficially a bit different: Corbyn, Johnson, Fargae, Rees-Mogg etc. It's dangerous to be so disengaged as we've seen.

Your final point is right too. This pisspoor excuse for a Government will probably win more seats at the next General Election. It's a lamentable mess at a time when poor decisions will set the economy, and thus the living standards of the vast majority of the British people, back for decades.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Labour party.... on 08:19 - Sep 11 with 7852 viewsBrixtonBlue

You're basing too much on reading twitter. Some polls show Labour currently in the lead.

No-one should read twitter to get an understanding of anything. It's full of loons on all sides.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2018 8:23]

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The Labour party.... on 08:26 - Sep 11 with 7826 viewshype313

The Labour party.... on 08:19 - Sep 11 by BrixtonBlue

You're basing too much on reading twitter. Some polls show Labour currently in the lead.

No-one should read twitter to get an understanding of anything. It's full of loons on all sides.

The thing is, the next generation will use such platforms to base their political opinions on, social media is huge for political parties which is why they throw as much resource at it it as possible.

If Joe is saying he has seen a sh1tstorm, then it's totally plausible that people might be turned off by the infighting.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Labour party.... on 08:27 - Sep 11 with 7820 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 08:19 - Sep 11 by Steve_M

It's always been a fascination of the old left for ideological purity and factionalism which is ultimately what drives this. The idea that people might have different viewpoints on issues for honest reasons is anathema. Compromise, the messy business of actually governing a country is selling out (see also pro-Brexit enthusiasts here).

You missed one though, defacing an extant wall of the Warsaw Ghetto with pro-Palestinian graffiti and not understanding why that is anti-Semitic.

The wider British public is also incredibly susceptible to politicians who seem superficially a bit different: Corbyn, Johnson, Fargae, Rees-Mogg etc. It's dangerous to be so disengaged as we've seen.

Your final point is right too. This pisspoor excuse for a Government will probably win more seats at the next General Election. It's a lamentable mess at a time when poor decisions will set the economy, and thus the living standards of the vast majority of the British people, back for decades.

You say the Government will probably win more seats at the next General Election and yet this latest poll in the Telegraph shows Labour 4 points ahead;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-conservative-party-poll-su

If you cast your mind back to the LAST election, the polls had the Tories in front by a long way leading up to it.

Unless the Tories, against all odds, sort Brexit out for the betterment of the country between now and the next election, I'm not sure what they're going to do to reverse this trend.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The Labour party.... on 08:30 - Sep 11 with 7803 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 08:26 - Sep 11 by hype313

The thing is, the next generation will use such platforms to base their political opinions on, social media is huge for political parties which is why they throw as much resource at it it as possible.

If Joe is saying he has seen a sh1tstorm, then it's totally plausible that people might be turned off by the infighting.

I'm sure a lot of people will be... but will it be enough to return the Tories? They have their own problems don't forget. Maybe someone would like to delve into their twittersphere as well?!

The Labour party.... on 08:36 - Sep 11 with 7784 viewshype313

The Labour party.... on 08:30 - Sep 11 by BrixtonBlue

I'm sure a lot of people will be... but will it be enough to return the Tories? They have their own problems don't forget. Maybe someone would like to delve into their twittersphere as well?!

I'm not talking about people returning to the Tories, I'm talking about the next generation of voters who haven't been aligned to any party previously.

I'm in no doubt the Tories have in fighting, but compared to the Labour party, it's hardly noticeable. The Tories are cleary making a mess of Brexit and their are huge factions and backstabbings going on, but just by a quick glance on social media, Labour are in a right mess.

They should be at least 10-15 points ahead of the Tories (historically opposition parties are) yet they are only 4, with a current shambles of a Tory party as competition...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Labour party.... on 08:41 - Sep 11 with 7760 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What are the 'extreme' policies you have a problem with?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The Labour party.... on 08:44 - Sep 11 with 7748 viewsWeWereZombies

Labour's hardline stance is puzzling, given that there is an open goal at the next election if only they were facing the 'right' way. But for decades we complained that it did not seem to make any difference which way you voted because all three parties were too centrist. However, Corbyn does not seem to be what we wanted when we yearned for a left wing firebrand to wake up Britain. Weak delivery, incapable of presenting a pluralistic approach to Palestine and nowhere near media savvy.

Therein lies the problem, the calibre of British politicians at the moment is dire and the ones who could and should be stepping up to the plate, Chukka Ummna and Andy Burnham and David Milliband for Labour as well as Ruth Davidson for the Tories, are busying themselves with other things.

We, the electorate, only have ourselves to blame. We haven't treated decent politicians well and perhaps all we deserve are the Boris Johnsons, Corbyns and Goves of this World.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2018 8:47]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Login to get fewer ads

The Labour party.... on 08:46 - Sep 11 with 7739 viewsNewcyBlue

The Labour party.... on 08:27 - Sep 11 by BrixtonBlue

You say the Government will probably win more seats at the next General Election and yet this latest poll in the Telegraph shows Labour 4 points ahead;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-conservative-party-poll-su

If you cast your mind back to the LAST election, the polls had the Tories in front by a long way leading up to it.

Unless the Tories, against all odds, sort Brexit out for the betterment of the country between now and the next election, I'm not sure what they're going to do to reverse this trend.

How accurate have the polls been?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

The Labour party.... on 08:47 - Sep 11 with 7732 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 08:36 - Sep 11 by hype313

I'm not talking about people returning to the Tories, I'm talking about the next generation of voters who haven't been aligned to any party previously.

I'm in no doubt the Tories have in fighting, but compared to the Labour party, it's hardly noticeable. The Tories are cleary making a mess of Brexit and their are huge factions and backstabbings going on, but just by a quick glance on social media, Labour are in a right mess.

They should be at least 10-15 points ahead of the Tories (historically opposition parties are) yet they are only 4, with a current shambles of a Tory party as competition...

I didn't say people returning to the Tories. I said "returning the Tories" - the country returning them to power.

I'm also not just talking about in-fighting.

Yes the Labour infighting isn't ideal but the party has come from a long way behind the Tories to now being in front. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

The Labour party.... on 08:50 - Sep 11 with 7713 viewsSteve_M

The Labour party.... on 08:46 - Sep 11 by NewcyBlue

All the ones that had Labour behind were by biased Tories but those with Labour ahead should be taken as gospel.

The Labour party.... on 08:51 - Sep 11 with 7709 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 08:46 - Sep 11 by NewcyBlue

It's a fair point, but the other side always cite them when the Tories are in front, so I reserve the right to cite them now Labour are!

Sometimes they are right, don't forget!

The Labour party.... on 08:52 - Sep 11 with 7694 viewsSteve_M

The Labour party.... on 08:27 - Sep 11 by BrixtonBlue

You're missing the real point though, we have the worst government in living memory and the opposition don't look remotely like a government in waiting. In fact they repulse as many people as the Tory party does at the moment.

There's a colossal open goal awaiting a competent opposition except we don't have a remotely competent opposition.

The Labour party.... on 08:54 - Sep 11 with 7682 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 08:52 - Sep 11 by Steve_M

You're missing the real point though, we have the worst government in living memory and the opposition don't look remotely like a government in waiting. In fact they repulse as many people as the Tory party does at the moment.

There's a colossal open goal awaiting a competent opposition except we don't have a remotely competent opposition.

In your opinion. Not everyone agrees with you.

The Labour party.... on 08:54 - Sep 11 with 7677 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 08:50 - Sep 11 by Steve_M

All the ones that had Labour behind were by biased Tories but those with Labour ahead should be taken as gospel.

Said no-one ever.

The Labour party.... on 08:55 - Sep 11 with 7672 viewsWeWereZombies

The Labour party.... on 08:26 - Sep 11 by hype313

Either that or the generations that have just come of voting age or are approaching it will, or have already begun to, realise that Twitter or Facebook or Instagram or whatever comes next is mainly tosh. As those of us who have spent fifteen or more years on that other great social media platform, TWTD, can readily testify.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

The Labour party.... on 09:00 - Sep 11 with 7656 viewsBasuco

Jeremy Corbyn supporters haven't realised yet that JC is the biggest asset to get Boris Johnson as the next Prime Minister. Just as Michael Foot and Neil Kinnock ensured Britain suffered under Thatcher for so long. But Conservatives returned the favour with putting William Hague and Iain Duncan Smith up to ensure Labour and Tony Blair enjoyed 10 years in power. People need to look back at history and learn from it.
The Labour party.... on 09:06 - Sep 11 with 7617 viewsStokieBlue

The Labour party.... on 08:19 - Sep 11 by BrixtonBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/10/swing-voters-say-labour-is-the-

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Labour party.... on 09:12 - Sep 11 with 7597 viewsitfcjoe

The Labour party.... on 08:19 - Sep 11 by Steve_M

Anyone who disagrees with them is labelled a Tory or a Blairite, or right wing.

It amazes me that Blairite is seen as such an insult, considering that Blair is the only Labour PM of my life time and won 3 elections but that is deemed a failure.

But these people don't want to govern, they just want control of the Labour party.

People always comment, and I think fairly, that for the Conservatives it is about Party over the Country - keeping the Tory party together and in power is seen as the most important thing. The warring factions in Labour don't want to seem to keep the party together or to get in power, they just want control of the party as an end game.

The Labour party.... on 09:13 - Sep 11 with 7592 viewsitfcjoe

The Labour party.... on 08:41 - Sep 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

What are the 'extreme' policies you have a problem with?

Where have I mentioned anything about extreme policies?

The Labour party.... on 09:18 - Sep 11 with 7570 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 09:06 - Sep 11 by StokieBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/10/swing-voters-say-labour-is-the-

SB

Interesting article that, cheers SB. Although I'm not entirely sure how it relates to what you're replying to. There's nothing about twitter in there.

I think they're right to a certain extent, there has been more of a shift to quinoa lovers from bingo lovers. Quite a clever headline actually. Quite a small research group though.

Despite the title, towards the end it states "twice as many voters thought Labour was “in touch with ordinary people” as the Tories."

I guess more ordinary people are eating quinoa these days!

The Labour party.... on 09:19 - Sep 11 with 7569 viewsNewcyBlue

The Labour party.... on 08:50 - Sep 11 by Steve_M

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/12/polls-as-accurate-as-they-have-

An interesting article about accuracy of polls.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

The Labour party.... on 09:21 - Sep 11 with 7556 viewsitfcjoe

The Labour party.... on 09:18 - Sep 11 by BrixtonBlue

Interesting article that, cheers SB. Although I'm not entirely sure how it relates to what you're replying to. There's nothing about twitter in there.

I think they're right to a certain extent, there has been more of a shift to quinoa lovers from bingo lovers. Quite a clever headline actually. Quite a small research group though.

Despite the title, towards the end it states "twice as many voters thought Labour was “in touch with ordinary people” as the Tories."

I guess more ordinary people are eating quinoa these days!

But is it pronounced Quinoa, or Quinoa?

The Labour party.... on 09:23 - Sep 11 with 7547 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 09:12 - Sep 11 by itfcjoe

Anyone who disagrees with them is labelled a Tory or a Blairite, or right wing.

It amazes me that Blairite is seen as such an insult, considering that Blair is the only Labour PM of my life time and won 3 elections but that is deemed a failure.

But these people don't want to govern, they just want control of the Labour party.

People always comment, and I think fairly, that for the Conservatives it is about Party over the Country - keeping the Tory party together and in power is seen as the most important thing. The warring factions in Labour don't want to seem to keep the party together or to get in power, they just want control of the party as an end game.

The Blairite thing being an insult might have something to do with an illegal war.

I think your last bit about Labour not wanting to govern is just nonsense. Why would anyone want to control the party and then do nothing with it? What would be the point?

The Labour party.... on 09:25 - Sep 11 with 7536 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Labour party.... on 09:21 - Sep 11 by itfcjoe

But is it pronounced Quinoa, or Quinoa?

My favourite description of quinoa is "rice for cants".

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024