Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the Universe is infinite 17:25 - Sep 11 with 20248 viewschicoazul

that must mean that everything that possibly can happen will eventually happen.

Does this therefore mean free will is an illusion?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If the Universe is infinite on 09:53 - Sep 12 with 2460 viewschicoazul

If the Universe is infinite on 09:52 - Sep 12 by Cotty

An infinite amount of things can happen without everything happening. The link to free will is beyond me I'm afraid.

Your first sentence; explain more.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

If the Universe is infinite on 09:59 - Sep 12 with 2452 viewsCotty

If the Universe is infinite on 09:53 - Sep 12 by chicoazul

Your first sentence; explain more.

OK, take the monkey typing for an infinite amount of time. Now imagine that the letter "S" is missing from his typewriter. Now let him type for an infinite amount of time. Now there is no way that he could type the works of shakespeare, or even spell "shakespeare", even given an infinite amount of time. So just because an infinite amount of things happen, that doesn't mean that every conceivable eventuality WILL happen. Does that make any sense?
If the Universe is infinite on 10:02 - Sep 12 with 2447 viewschicoazul

If the Universe is infinite on 09:59 - Sep 12 by Cotty

OK, take the monkey typing for an infinite amount of time. Now imagine that the letter "S" is missing from his typewriter. Now let him type for an infinite amount of time. Now there is no way that he could type the works of shakespeare, or even spell "shakespeare", even given an infinite amount of time. So just because an infinite amount of things happen, that doesn't mean that every conceivable eventuality WILL happen. Does that make any sense?

Hmmm. Yes it does. Thank you brother.

If the Universe is infinite on 10:56 - Sep 12 with 2427 viewsBrixtonBlue

I've never understood the monkeys/typewriter theory. Even with an infinite amount of time and an infinite amount of monkeys, you still wouldn't get the complete works of Shakespeare.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

If the Universe is infinite on 11:56 - Sep 12 with 2398 viewsjeera

If the Universe is infinite on 10:56 - Sep 12 by BrixtonBlue

I've never understood the monkeys/typewriter theory. Even with an infinite amount of time and an infinite amount of monkeys, you still wouldn't get the complete works of Shakespeare.

Maybe not, but they might invent microwave meals by accident.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

If the Universe is infinite on 11:58 - Sep 12 with 2396 viewsjeera

Surely they would just use the 'f'.

If the Universe is infinite on 12:03 - Sep 12 with 2387 viewsSwansea_Blue

If the Universe is infinite on 11:58 - Sep 12 by jeera

Or take the typewriter to be repaired. I don't think he's thought this one through properly

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If the Universe is infinite on 12:15 - Sep 12 with 2378 viewsjeera

If the Universe is infinite on 12:03 - Sep 12 by Swansea_Blue

Or take the typewriter to be repaired. I don't think he's thought this one through properly

Anything is possible!

Login to get fewer ads

If the Universe is infinite on 12:19 - Sep 12 with 2372 viewsCotty

If the Universe is infinite on 10:56 - Sep 12 by BrixtonBlue

Under certain assumptions, yes you would. It's a very clumsy way to explain infinity to people, and overall isn't particularly helpful, but if framed in the right way, it is true.
If the Universe is infinite on 12:20 - Sep 12 with 2371 viewsCotty

If the Universe is infinite on 11:58 - Sep 12 by jeera

True dat!
If the Universe is infinite on 12:33 - Sep 12 with 2353 viewsJ2BLUE

If the Universe is infinite on 09:49 - Sep 12 by chicoazul

I'm just saying. If everything that can happen will happen then surely free will is an illusion as everything is going to happen regardless. Or something. I forget now to be honest.

Surely individuals having free will has no impact on everything happening.

Maybe some things will take longer to happen but if time is infinite they will happen eventually.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If the Universe is infinite on 12:37 - Sep 12 with 2347 viewsBrixtonBlue

If the Universe is infinite on 12:19 - Sep 12 by Cotty

Under certain assumptions, yes you would. It's a very clumsy way to explain infinity to people, and overall isn't particularly helpful, but if framed in the right way, it is true.

It's only true if you stipulate they have to do something different each time. Otherwise it will just be random keys hit an infinite amount of times and will just be an infinite amount of nonsense.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

If the Universe is infinite on 12:46 - Sep 12 with 2329 viewsCotty

If the Universe is infinite on 12:37 - Sep 12 by BrixtonBlue

It's only true if you stipulate they have to do something different each time. Otherwise it will just be random keys hit an infinite amount of times and will just be an infinite amount of nonsense.

The point is that within that infinite amount of nonsense, there will be a perfect copy of the complete works of Shakespeare. It's not suggesting that the monkey will write it out perfectly first time. There will also be an infinite number of complete works of shakespeare with "COTTY IS A BELLEND" written at the bottom of each page.

But yes it only works under certain assumptions, mainly that there is a non-zero probability of the next key strike being any of the possible keys.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 12:50]
If the Universe is infinite on 12:51 - Sep 12 with 2307 viewsBrixtonBlue

If the Universe is infinite on 12:46 - Sep 12 by Cotty

The point is that within that infinite amount of nonsense, there will be a perfect copy of the complete works of Shakespeare. It's not suggesting that the monkey will write it out perfectly first time. There will also be an infinite number of complete works of shakespeare with "COTTY IS A BELLEND" written at the bottom of each page.

But yes it only works under certain assumptions, mainly that there is a non-zero probability of the next key strike being any of the possible keys.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 12:50]

No there won't. Monkeys hitting keys randomly will never type "COTTY IS A BELLEND" let alone the complete works of Shakespeare, no matter how much time or how many monkeys.

They'll accidentally type the odd word here and there and that will be it.

If the Universe is infinite on 12:55 - Sep 12 with 2298 viewsSwansea_Blue

If the Universe is infinite on 12:51 - Sep 12 by BrixtonBlue

No there won't. Monkeys hitting keys randomly will never type "COTTY IS A BELLEND" let alone the complete works of Shakespeare, no matter how much time or how many monkeys.

Infinite is quite a long time though. I imagine it feels even longer than a typical MM match.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If the Universe is infinite on 12:57 - Sep 12 with 2293 viewsStokieBlue

Cotty is trying to highlight the difficult in the human mind grasping the concept of infinity and you've highlighted how hard it is for us to understand.

It's perfectly possible for monkeys to type that sentence. It's improbable but not impossible thus your assertion is incorrect.

I posted this earlier (mainly because it's cool). This is possible but hugely improbable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain

SB
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 12:58]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

If the Universe is infinite on 13:02 - Sep 12 with 2275 viewsBrixtonBlue

If the Universe is infinite on 12:57 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

Cotty is trying to highlight the difficult in the human mind grasping the concept of infinity and you've highlighted how hard it is for us to understand.

It's perfectly possible for monkeys to type that sentence. It's improbable but not impossible thus your assertion is incorrect.

I posted this earlier (mainly because it's cool). This is possible but hugely improbable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain

SB
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 12:58]

I'd agree with you that sentence is possible hitting keys randomly. The complete works of Shakespeare isn't.

If the Universe is infinite on 13:05 - Sep 12 with 2269 viewsStokieBlue

If the Universe is infinite on 13:02 - Sep 12 by BrixtonBlue

I'd agree with you that sentence is possible hitting keys randomly. The complete works of Shakespeare isn't.

It's improbable. It's not impossible.

In reality it would likely never happen as there isn't enough time or monkeys. It's highly improbable and for practical reasons you could say it's impossible.

Theoretically it's not though and that's important is some fields.

SB
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 13:05]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

If the Universe is infinite on 13:07 - Sep 12 with 2262 viewsCotty

I think the monkey thing is getting in the way here Dollers. It's a mathematical fact, with a dodgy analogy to attempt to explain it to non-mathematical people. If I have the same probability of striking any one key on the keyboard, and do that infinitely many times, somewhere in there will exist any string of characters that choose, for instance the complete works of Shakespeare. There's no point to argue here, it's a mathematical factoid!
If the Universe is infinite on 13:20 - Sep 12 with 2244 viewsDanTheMan

If the Universe is infinite on 13:07 - Sep 12 by Cotty

I think the monkey thing is getting in the way here Dollers. It's a mathematical fact, with a dodgy analogy to attempt to explain it to non-mathematical people. If I have the same probability of striking any one key on the keyboard, and do that infinitely many times, somewhere in there will exist any string of characters that choose, for instance the complete works of Shakespeare. There's no point to argue here, it's a mathematical factoid!

It wouldn't take at all long to write a program to write this out.

Hell I imagine the maths involved is incredibly simple to work out how long a number of machines would take to write something of x length.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

If the Universe is infinite on 13:20 - Sep 12 with 2244 viewsjjblue84

It seems that science can’t make any sense of infinity at all. What does that tell us??
If the Universe is infinite on 13:21 - Sep 12 with 2240 viewsBrixtonBlue

If the Universe is infinite on 13:05 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

It's improbable. It's not impossible.

In reality it would likely never happen as there isn't enough time or monkeys. It's highly improbable and for practical reasons you could say it's impossible.

Theoretically it's not though and that's important is some fields.

SB
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 13:05]

You say there isn't enough time or monkeys, but they are infinite in this model.

If you were to say there would, within an infinite amount of time, be intelligent monkeys born that would be able to write the complete works of Shakespeare, you'd be correct. But we're talking about monkeys and typewriters that we have now.

The way monkey fingers work, and the layout of typewriters (as we know them now) makes it impossible for one of them to RANDOMLY type the complete works of Shakespeare.

They would probably type each word that appears in Shakespeare, between them. But one doing it, in the exact sentence structure, over all those plays, it's impossible. You'd need cognitive thought about what you're actually doing. Another human would do it, eventually, but any creature randomly bashing keys wouldn't.

If the Universe is infinite on 13:22 - Sep 12 with 2238 viewsDanTheMan

If the Universe is infinite on 13:20 - Sep 12 by jjblue84

It seems that science can’t make any sense of infinity at all. What does that tell us??

How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

If the Universe is infinite on 13:27 - Sep 12 with 2225 viewsjjblue84

If the Universe is infinite on 13:22 - Sep 12 by DanTheMan

How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

Just reading the thread...
If the Universe is infinite on 13:28 - Sep 12 with 2220 viewsDanTheMan

If the Universe is infinite on 13:21 - Sep 12 by BrixtonBlue

You say there isn't enough time or monkeys, but they are infinite in this model.

If you were to say there would, within an infinite amount of time, be intelligent monkeys born that would be able to write the complete works of Shakespeare, you'd be correct. But we're talking about monkeys and typewriters that we have now.

The way monkey fingers work, and the layout of typewriters (as we know them now) makes it impossible for one of them to RANDOMLY type the complete works of Shakespeare.

They would probably type each word that appears in Shakespeare, between them. But one doing it, in the exact sentence structure, over all those plays, it's impossible. You'd need cognitive thought about what you're actually doing. Another human would do it, eventually, but any creature randomly bashing keys wouldn't.

You're taking an analogy very literally.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024