Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Home Broadband... 16:31 - Sep 12 with 2209 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who would people recommend?

I'm with BT, and I've only recently realised what a rip off they are.

Are there any suppliers that people would avoid due to bad service etc?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Home Broadband... on 16:35 - Sep 12 with 2188 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm with BT and they've been better than Sky (who couldn't provide a consistent connection if their lives depended on it). But I imagine it all depends on the nature of the exchange, and ours is a bit rubbish since we moved more rural. BT have no problems though over exactly the same infrastructure that used to cause Sky problems.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Home Broadband... on 16:35 - Sep 12 with 2186 viewshype313

If service is what you're after then Zen and Andrews and Arnold.

If it's price then Talk Talk, Sky, and all the other mainstreams, but as you well know, service does lack. Plusnet are owned by BT before you get sucked into good honest broadband...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Home Broadband... on 16:38 - Sep 12 with 2178 viewshype313

Home Broadband... on 16:35 - Sep 12 by Swansea_Blue

I'm with BT and they've been better than Sky (who couldn't provide a consistent connection if their lives depended on it). But I imagine it all depends on the nature of the exchange, and ours is a bit rubbish since we moved more rural. BT have no problems though over exactly the same infrastructure that used to cause Sky problems.

Probably not the broadband, 99% of the time it's the PSTN line which is the issue, if you are far away from exchange/cab then you have more copper to contend with and more issues.

Problem is it's a ballache for Openreach to go out and look at PSTN faults so they try and palm you off with it beinga n issue with your kit.

Home Broadband... on 16:38 - Sep 12 with 2177 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hmmm, that was kind of my thoughts when I went with BT.

I live quite rural and often see the BT van at the comms box.

But surely the providers should be able to provide the same service over the same infrastructure?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Home Broadband... on 16:39 - Sep 12 with 2170 viewshype313

Home Broadband... on 16:38 - Sep 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Hmmm, that was kind of my thoughts when I went with BT.

I live quite rural and often see the BT van at the comms box.

But surely the providers should be able to provide the same service over the same infrastructure?

Regardlesss of who you use they all have to use BT's infrastructure, bar Virgin if you in a cabled area. So if you are rural then changing providers is probably futile...

Home Broadband... on 16:43 - Sep 12 with 2157 viewsfooters

Can't recommend Hyperoptic enough. Great service, very reasonable prices and high speeds. Depends if they're in your area though.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Home Broadband... on 16:52 - Sep 12 with 2127 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Home Broadband... on 16:39 - Sep 12 by hype313

Regardlesss of who you use they all have to use BT's infrastructure, bar Virgin if you in a cabled area. So if you are rural then changing providers is probably futile...

Its not futile if it saves me £20 per month.

We have superfast broadband infrastructure.

Home Broadband... on 16:52 - Sep 12 with 2129 viewsSwansea_Blue

Home Broadband... on 16:38 - Sep 12 by hype313

Probably not the broadband, 99% of the time it's the PSTN line which is the issue, if you are far away from exchange/cab then you have more copper to contend with and more issues.

Problem is it's a ballache for Openreach to go out and look at PSTN faults so they try and palm you off with it beinga n issue with your kit.

I just found it strange that it's not been an issue with BT yet consistently was with Sky. Changing for us worked out well, we've quicker more reliable connection now. I know in theory we shouldn't have, but we have. Don't ask me why! I wondered whether Sky/Openreach relationship wasn't as good as the BT/Openreach one, although I would have though Openreach have to provide equal service to all providers.

Anyway, BT is better quality-wise for me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Home Broadband... on 16:54 - Sep 12 with 2124 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Home Broadband... on 16:43 - Sep 12 by footers

Can't recommend Hyperoptic enough. Great service, very reasonable prices and high speeds. Depends if they're in your area though.

Damn, not in my area.

Home Broadband... on 17:32 - Sep 12 with 2069 viewsjeera

When in a remote area you will usually tend to find BT are the only firm able to provide a proper service. At least speaking in my own experience and several chats with Openreach engineers.

I've heard the term 'throttling' used many times regarding this.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Home Broadband... on 18:04 - Sep 12 with 2034 viewsGuthrum

I've always been ok with Virgin (cable). Have been a customer since before they existed (Telewest, back in 2001).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Home Broadband... on 18:41 - Sep 12 with 1994 viewshype313

Home Broadband... on 16:52 - Sep 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its not futile if it saves me £20 per month.

We have superfast broadband infrastructure.

Yeah but you asked about service, no mention of cost.

Won't bother in future.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 18:41]

Home Broadband... on 18:43 - Sep 12 with 1986 viewssparks

Home Broadband... on 16:52 - Sep 12 by Swansea_Blue

I just found it strange that it's not been an issue with BT yet consistently was with Sky. Changing for us worked out well, we've quicker more reliable connection now. I know in theory we shouldn't have, but we have. Don't ask me why! I wondered whether Sky/Openreach relationship wasn't as good as the BT/Openreach one, although I would have though Openreach have to provide equal service to all providers.

Anyway, BT is better quality-wise for me.

I share your cynicism about the influence of BT with Openreach as against others.

I have a good small provider, but they are utterly beholden to openreach who are shocking. I am expecting engineers for a 5th time (though quite wehn and how we are going to take a day off work at this time of year to stay in for them I dont know) to come and talk nonsense again, before doing things which have an apparent solution, before the problem recurs over the course of the next few months.

Would it be better with BT? Who knows. Probably harder ot get sense out of their call centres.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Home Broadband... on 19:40 - Sep 12 with 1942 viewssticklegs

Plusnet used to be excellent when they first started, but I’ve have moved back to them in the last couple of years and their service is now woeful. So many problems with false promises, technical issues, billing mistakes and hours and hours wasted trying to contact them......it makes my blood boil when their f@@@ing adverts ‘promise to do you proud’!!! I notice a previous poster has mentioned that they’re now owned by BT, which explains everything!
Home Broadband... on 19:59 - Sep 12 with 1903 viewsjeera

Home Broadband... on 19:40 - Sep 12 by sticklegs

Plusnet used to be excellent when they first started, but I’ve have moved back to them in the last couple of years and their service is now woeful. So many problems with false promises, technical issues, billing mistakes and hours and hours wasted trying to contact them......it makes my blood boil when their f@@@ing adverts ‘promise to do you proud’!!! I notice a previous poster has mentioned that they’re now owned by BT, which explains everything!

They have been owned by BT since 2007, but is run as an independent.

Thing is with these 'budget' companies is they work on a tight profit and make promises of a service they simply can't keep.

When there are issues, say on a technical basis that aren't not easily fixed, they would prefer to lose the customer than spend out on solutions.

Home Broadband... on 20:01 - Sep 12 with 1894 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Home Broadband... on 18:41 - Sep 12 by hype313

Yeah but you asked about service, no mention of cost.

Won't bother in future.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 18:41]

Simply inaccurate.

The words 'rip' and 'off' refer to cost.

Home Broadband... on 20:04 - Sep 12 with 1877 viewsjeera

Home Broadband... on 20:01 - Sep 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Simply inaccurate.

The words 'rip' and 'off' refer to cost.

Ungrateful sod.

"Are there any suppliers that people would avoid due to bad service etc?"

You always seem to look for an argument from nothing.

Christ. People answering in an attempt to help you out.

Home Broadband... on 20:12 - Sep 12 with 1875 viewsWeWereZombies

Home Broadband... on 17:32 - Sep 12 by jeera

When in a remote area you will usually tend to find BT are the only firm able to provide a proper service. At least speaking in my own experience and several chats with Openreach engineers.

I've heard the term 'throttling' used many times regarding this.

I moved from BT to John Lewis Broadband (actually the remainder of Plusnet that did not go over to BT) and they have been immeasurably better as regards cost, telephone support, even the quality of the home hub supplied. And I live very rural, almost four miles from the nearest junction box.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Home Broadband... on 20:17 - Sep 12 with 1864 viewsjeera

Home Broadband... on 20:12 - Sep 12 by WeWereZombies

I moved from BT to John Lewis Broadband (actually the remainder of Plusnet that did not go over to BT) and they have been immeasurably better as regards cost, telephone support, even the quality of the home hub supplied. And I live very rural, almost four miles from the nearest junction box.

Agree on JL as it goes.

After Plusnet, then the Post Office, both with dreadful service, I moved my mum's service to JL.

Maybe they have a bit more swing in the buying stakes.

You have to remember though, that not all companies will invest in local infrastructure where there are few chimney pots, as they just don't deem it worth their while.

There's a reason you will see an ad on TV with, say Sky, offering TV, Broadband, phone all in one deals for 29p a month, but when you call up they can only serve your area for £45.

Some pay a premium to BT for the use of these remote boxes.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 20:19]

Home Broadband... on 20:30 - Sep 12 with 1843 viewshype313

Home Broadband... on 20:04 - Sep 12 by jeera

Ungrateful sod.

"Are there any suppliers that people would avoid due to bad service etc?"

You always seem to look for an argument from nothing.

Christ. People answering in an attempt to help you out.

Yep truly unpleasant ungrateful bloke.

Least I know who to not bother with going forward, every cloud.

Home Broadband... on 22:52 - Sep 12 with 1715 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Sky Fibre Unlimited, 33 Megawhatsists, £20/month, no connection/speed issues ever. What’s not to like?

Edit: did a speed test!
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 22:57]
Home Broadband... on 23:44 - Sep 12 with 1674 viewsRyorry

Home Broadband... on 16:39 - Sep 12 by hype313

Not the case in much of rural Yorkshire, where often the only possible connection available is via local area network - line-of-sight beam to mast on hill or tall building such as church steeple. We're with Boundless Networks who have proved excellent - very reliable (can't remember last time we had a problem), they come out straightaway, night or day, if there is a problem, and very decent 2-tier system for speeds and price - £20 or £25 pcm for standard or fast speed. No superfast, obvs.

PS Wouldn't have BT if they paid me!
[Post edited 12 Sep 2018 23:46]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024