Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? 17:18 - Sep 15 with 6287 viewssparks

The team which we saw in the early games, showed promise, kept the opposition away from our goal save for some errors and set pieces, and looked to be heading in a good direction.

We have to give that time to develop and settle together.

The team today though featured huge changes from what looked promising, both in players and style / approach. Donacien, Nsiala, Harrison Chalobah and Edun (and jackson) all missing. Loan players put in their place, and a more pragmatic approach. Its not surprising that a team doesnt gel, if its totally changed.

That is either a change in approach, or the players have lost confidence to the extent they can no longer do what they were starting to do in the early games.

I think it is the former- judging by the selection. The quick feet and intelligent movement was exemplified by Edun in the earlier games and now he cant get a game ahead of the woeful trio we had in the middle today. Baffling.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:28 - Sep 15 with 5536 viewsurbanblue

Just saw this after my post on the other thread. You put it much more eloquently.

Nailed it ... Just don't understand what has happened!
What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:34 - Sep 15 with 5499 viewshorsehollerer

Completely agree. We look a mere shadow of the team that lost to Rotherham!

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:39 - Sep 15 with 5444 viewsm14_blue

Exactly this.

I wasn't too worried after the first few games, despite the results. However, the Norwich game saw a complete abandonment of the approach, both in style and personnel.

The loan window smacked of panic and so have the subsequent line ups.

I'm worried now...
What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:42 - Sep 15 with 5405 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

pity Bryan Klug wasn't persuaded to stay in charge. Knows the club and would been playing our youngsters who he's worked hard to develop rather than Accrington and Newport players!

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:44 - Sep 15 with 5395 viewsKeaneish

Completly agree. I've been really disappointed with Hurst in the last two games where as I saw loads of promise in the first handful of games. Felt he tried to match Hull up today. Two holding midfielders against that midfield? For me that was crying out for Chalobah and or Edun. We saw neither and it was flat, wasteful and ponderous.

Hurst didn't get it anywhere near right today. Think questions should rightly be asked today.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:45 - Sep 15 with 5381 viewsLankHenners

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:39 - Sep 15 by m14_blue

Exactly this.

I wasn't too worried after the first few games, despite the results. However, the Norwich game saw a complete abandonment of the approach, both in style and personnel.

The loan window smacked of panic and so have the subsequent line ups.

I'm worried now...

Yes, after those early games when we weren't picking up points he was saying that he's seeing signs we're improving and the players are starting to get to grips with how they're being asked to play but he seems to have abandoned that 'steady progression' line now.

We didn't have to rigidly stick to the same XI but players who were a large part of those better performances are now on the bench or out of the squad (Chalobah, Edun, Donacien in particular).

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:45 - Sep 15 with 5378 viewsCurlyPete

OP is bang on
What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:47 - Sep 15 with 5352 viewsITFCBlues

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:44 - Sep 15 by Keaneish

Completly agree. I've been really disappointed with Hurst in the last two games where as I saw loads of promise in the first handful of games. Felt he tried to match Hull up today. Two holding midfielders against that midfield? For me that was crying out for Chalobah and or Edun. We saw neither and it was flat, wasteful and ponderous.

Hurst didn't get it anywhere near right today. Think questions should rightly be asked today.

Crying out for Chalobah - he is a holding midfielder?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Login to get fewer ads

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:49 - Sep 15 with 5335 viewssparks

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:47 - Sep 15 by ITFCBlues

Gerken

Donacien Pennington Nsiala Knudsen (only because of the lack of alternatives)

Chalobah Edun plus one toher

Walters Harrison Edwards

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:54 - Sep 15 with 5296 viewshorsehollerer

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:34 - Sep 15 by horsehollerer

BTW, I wasn't being sarcastic. I genuinely enjoyed most of the earlier performances and thought we were only a couple of weeks of training/gelling away from being a decent side. Now we look like we're in a complete mess.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 18:05 - Sep 15 with 5238 viewsbrogansnose

I think you're spot on with that. For better or for worse, he needs to stick to the Hurst vision and to his convictions.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2018 18:13]
What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 18:07 - Sep 15 with 5213 viewsblueislander

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:42 - Sep 15 by Jonnosdreadlocks

pity Bryan Klug wasn't persuaded to stay in charge. Knows the club and would been playing our youngsters who he's worked hard to develop rather than Accrington and Newport players!

Absolutely this. Those of us that were at Reading would fully endorse this I am sure.
What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 18:09 - Sep 15 with 5200 viewstextbackup

That first win can’t come soon enough can it, he’s panicking and probably over thinking every decision.
Like a striker that can’t score.

Was really disappointed we went long so often vs Norwich, was like Walters became the focal point and we chucked everything we’d worked on out the window
[Post edited 15 Sep 2018 18:12]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 18:10 - Sep 15 with 5179 viewsSomethingBlue

Good post. It doesn't breed confidence that this has happened. He needs to sort it out quickly because if this goes on for many more games then we will have a huge problem.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 18:12 - Sep 15 with 5161 viewsReuser_is_God

Totally agree, big worries for me now after today.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 12:00 - Sep 16 with 4866 viewssparks

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 18:12 - Sep 15 by Reuser_is_God

Totally agree, big worries for me now after today.

I am reinforced in this view by the posts whcih have pointed out that we have used 25 players. Its a complete change of approach and players. He has blinked way too early and we are now in a mess.

How can a team possibly "gel" with so many loans and such wholesale changes.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2018 12:01]

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 15:37 - Sep 16 with 4775 viewsVic

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:34 - Sep 15 by horsehollerer

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 21:33 - Sep 16 with 4677 viewsBonchosBicycle

I'm mystified. I was happy enough with the first few games. We never got the points I felt we deserved, and clearly had some poor decisions given against us but that's football. We were the better team in all of them pretty much and looked like we were a few weeks away from becoming a nice team. Yesterday was just awful for the first half hour. We forgot how to pass and resorted to the long ball out right and ignored the midfield. As horrible to watch as anything I've seen from us in recent years. I still think we have the makings of a good team here and just need a little time and a little luck. We're only 9 points off the playoffs!
What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 21:41 - Sep 16 with 4654 viewsKeaneish

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:47 - Sep 15 by ITFCBlues

That wasn't my point. He's a far better player on the ball than either Skuse or Downes and gets things moving with a bit of energy and directness, at least, he has that in his locker - Skuse and Downes do not.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 22:37 - Sep 16 with 4552 viewsFrimleyBlue

Was it reading away where Mick did similar?

Up until that point. We had lost but played some good attacking football, scored a few goals but got beat. Suddenly the football changed back to the previous seasons style and this lead to his parting with town.

If you re going to make the changes like Hurst has and look to bring in your brand of football, you have to keep going with it. Otherwise all those changes were made for nothing.

I must admit. The moment Walters came in I did think we would look to use him as the hoof target. It happened a fair bit under magilton I think it was. It may not be purposeful by the manager but young players when panicking will look to use him as their get out clause.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 23:33 - Sep 16 with 4463 viewsITFCBlues

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 21:41 - Sep 16 by Keaneish

That wasn't my point. He's a far better player on the ball than either Skuse or Downes and gets things moving with a bit of energy and directness, at least, he has that in his locker - Skuse and Downes do not.

Skuse has been one of our best players of late. No way can he be dropped.

I agree on Downes though. People can moan about not playing our own players but Chalobah and Edun are both better options than our young players at present.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 00:20 - Sep 17 with 4420 viewsreusersfreekicks

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 17:49 - Sep 15 by sparks

Gerken

Donacien Pennington Nsiala Knudsen (only because of the lack of alternatives)

Chalobah Edun plus one toher

Walters Harrison Edwards

Without the guidance and experience of Chambers and Skuse we would be torn apart.
That is the point I fully lost faith in Mick (n/t) on 00:40 - Sep 17 with 4392 viewsunstableblue

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 22:37 - Sep 16 by FrimleyBlue

Was it reading away where Mick did similar?

Up until that point. We had lost but played some good attacking football, scored a few goals but got beat. Suddenly the football changed back to the previous seasons style and this lead to his parting with town.

If you re going to make the changes like Hurst has and look to bring in your brand of football, you have to keep going with it. Otherwise all those changes were made for nothing.

I must admit. The moment Walters came in I did think we would look to use him as the hoof target. It happened a fair bit under magilton I think it was. It may not be purposeful by the manager but young players when panicking will look to use him as their get out clause.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

He needs to listen to Pellegrini on 00:42 - Sep 17 with 4388 viewsunstableblue

After his excellent win today he said - "I did not lose faith i my plan and systems even after 4 defeats.. I knew it would come good" (or words to that effect)

That's what Hurst has got to do.

Additional note: too many on this board seem to have forgotten the Villa victory and after the break performance against Norwich

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What worries me: Has Hurst lost courage of his convictions? on 00:47 - Sep 17 with 4380 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

A midfield trio of Cole Skuse, Jon Nolan, Flynn Downes doesn't scream to me creativity. When we are playing one up top we need creativity. If Jon Nolan was meant to be the answer. The 1.2 million answer im sorry we had our own academy products available that are better options in Nydam and Dozzell.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024