Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 20:07 - Sep 15 with 5799 viewsMach_foreignBlue

This is the first time under Hurst that I've been really disappointed with him and his decisions. There have been positives to take from all league games so far this season hence he hardly deserved a criticism in my opinion. Today though I don't know what his match plan was.

First goal in which Downes was dispossessed like a schoolboy proved what a wrong and bizarre decision was to let him play. However there was still more than 86 minutes to play, plenty of time, no reason to panic. What followed that goal was a painful, horrible Mick McCarthy's stuff in which we kept hoofing towards Walters and no central midfield whatsoever. That dodgy pair of central backs in Burke and De Wijs had no problems at all when dealing with that 'tactic'. The problems seemed to appear for them in the last 10 minutes of the first half where we tried to play differently. Couple of crosses from Graham, Edwards' shot impressively blocked by their defence.
However for the first 35 minutes of the match we made poor Hull team looked good and I dare to say that their passing was particularly fine. Why couldn't we play like a s**te Hull team?

Horrible half so changes were inevitable. Downes to be taken off for example as he offered nothing. Bafflingly though Hurst didn't make any. Players like Edun, Chalobah or one of Jackson and Harrison would have made a difference. 

Start of the 2nd half seemed slightly better than the first half, we were on the front foot however no chances created. Hull were more and more comfortable as the game went on and were far more threatening. Gerken's two outstanding saves and Pennington's goalline clearance were the big moments in particular. 

Ipswich? One tame shot from Graham straight at Marshall and nothing besides. Hurst only for the reason known to himself waited very long with the first substitution. 

Jackson Irvine added a second after treating Spence like he really is. A poor, indecisive defender. 

For the first time this season I struggle to find positives and can't understand Hurst's approach today. Why has he reverted to what he had to deal with in the last few seasons? 
Moreover his decisions regarding the playing personnel. Chopping and changing, why is that? How on earth did Downes find himself today in the line-up? 

Loads of Town fans have been raving for years about our youth system. Play youngsters blah blah blah. You'd think we have the best youngsters in the world when you listen to some. So they got the youngster in the opening line-up today. Youngster instead of loanee. Downes instead of Chalobah. I wonder if they are happy with that. We have all seen what Chalobah is capable of when playing in the deep role so why dropping him today particularly after the Norwich game where he will have certainly added something. Downes however was our worst player today. 

Edun.....Our best one in the Sheffield Wed game 3 weeks ago. Completely out of the picture after this for not fully fit Graham. Another decision that I don't get at all. 

I was very excited when we signed Nolan but he finds this level of football too difficult at the moment. 

Pennington hard working yes but a hoofer he is. 

Today that was firmly a reminiscent of McCarthy's painful moments in which we had no plan at all and that makes me really upset as I thought those days were gone. I'd say today was even worse at times. Play like that with constant chopping and changing and we'll be in the big trouble. 

Been very supportive of Hurst despite the results against mostly average/poor opponents therefore today's match and the manner of defeat has been a kick in the balls. One striker upfront doesn't work out for us, we struggle to create chances and we aren't a threat. When is he going to realise that?

Hull. A team/club in decline somehow though becomes our bogey one. Embarrassing defeat to them last March followed by their comfortable win today. 
[Post edited 15 Sep 2018 20:08]
Match thoughts on 23:06 - Sep 15 with 4723 viewsreusersfreekicks

Downes was not our worst performer today and made a single mistake which was punished. Very blinkered report imo.
Match thoughts on 23:13 - Sep 15 with 4709 viewsBluedanW

His comments after the game saying we were caught out as we moved to 2 up front says to me he has no plans to change the system to 2 up front. Sorry but I'm not seeing anything different from the McCarthy negative tactics. The same sit back once we take the lead and the last 2 games we have gone back to the McCarthy hoof ball tactics since the return of Walters.
Match thoughts on 23:28 - Sep 15 with 4643 viewsitfcpaul

Match thoughts on 23:06 - Sep 15 by reusersfreekicks

Downes was not our worst performer today and made a single mistake which was punished. Very blinkered report imo.

He would have been if he hadn't been taken off

he was awful. so was Spence but Downes was out of his depth

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Match thoughts on 23:28 - Sep 15 with 4639 viewsAnewHop

Match thoughts on 23:13 - Sep 15 by BluedanW

His comments after the game saying we were caught out as we moved to 2 up front says to me he has no plans to change the system to 2 up front. Sorry but I'm not seeing anything different from the McCarthy negative tactics. The same sit back once we take the lead and the last 2 games we have gone back to the McCarthy hoof ball tactics since the return of Walters.

Today definitely seemed a backward step, worst performance this season by a long way. Much of the football was aimless long balls forward, yet in brief periods we tried to play it short with purpose I’m a way we never did under McCarthy. Much to do, things are looking fairly grim.
Match thoughts on 00:19 - Sep 16 with 4544 viewsbritbiker

Seems to me every time we have a week off I think we will come back as a team but we always seem to come back totally ineffective. This was also the case in the mick era as well
Match thoughts on 01:20 - Sep 16 with 4468 viewsLancsBlue

I agree that in the early games you could see the plan. It wasn't quite coming together, but there were encouraging signs. What worries me most is that despite a supportive owner, Hurst has not had the courage to stand by his beliefs. Instead, because we haven't picked up points, he has panicked, brought in loan layers, chopped and changed and things have got worse rather than better. Go back to Plan A and have the balls to stick with it. Chalobah, Donacien and Nsiala all impressed. Nsiala was unluckily suspended and the other two dropped. Bring them back in. I don't understand dropping Bart. He wasn't in the best of form but he is our best keeper by some distance. I hope Hurst doesn't wait for a Gerken howler before he brings him back. My concern is not that Hurst has tried to do too much at once, but rather that he has put the brakes on instead of carrying it through. Long term problems require long term solutions, not quick fixes.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

Match thoughts on 01:31 - Sep 16 with 4450 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

That was a comprehensive insight to today's action. One thing I can't abide is our tendency to provide opposition teams a break in their adverse runs of fortune or losing streaks.

Take today for example. Hull City had lost all home games if correct and lo and behold we arrive at their venue and they register a victory.

This scenario has played out for more times than you can remember. An opposition team with a garbage run of form comes to play us - as if by magic they get a result from us and stop their said elementary run of form. I'm not kidding these incidents have seen to occur with alarming frequency in the past year or two.

If the team had showed enough determination and zeal as the game report here today we may have had a fighting chance. I applaud your efforts in any event.
Match thoughts on 01:36 - Sep 16 with 4443 viewsBrixtonBlue

Who had money on 2nd paragraph? Anyone?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thoughts on 05:25 - Sep 16 with 4369 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 01:36 - Sep 16 by BrixtonBlue

Come on then Shakespeare why shouldn’t Mach compare our previous manager to our current one?
Match thoughts on 06:47 - Sep 16 with 4321 viewsNewcyBlue

If you were there you would have probably understood that this was likely to be worse than anything seen under McCarthy.

At least under Mick we were pretty solid at the back, the stuff wasn’t pretty but we looked like we might nick a goal.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Match thoughts on 06:51 - Sep 16 with 4312 viewsChocorange

I agree with much of this.

A poor Hull team had little to deal with, suggesting our system was wrong, the players not good enough, or motivated enough, or a combination of these.
The apparent good 5 minutes at the end of the half( which I didn't see, as I had gone down for refreshments after 39 minutes as I couldn't take watching any more of the grim dross we had served up until that point) , seems to have played a part in PH believing his system was working and we were on top and a goal was about to come.
We started the second half brightly for 5 mins but by 55 minutes or so, it was back to the same pattern as the first half. But our subs were very late, and I too don't understand why...it wasn't as if we were creating lots of chances and being unlucky.
Walters didn't really work as a target man first time he was here , he was better out wide, yesterday this led to to hoof ball , laziness from the defence , though with Skuse and an out of his depth Downes in front of them , as well as Graham who flattered to deceive , what choice did they have. We were hardly going to get incisive passing from the first two. That's not a criticism of Skuse , it's just not his strength.
Downes as the OP says was out of his depth, I think he is wildly overrated too, he couldn't get in the Luton team in league 2 , I don't see why he has had game time this season and Nydam has been shipped out.

Every game this season, has had some small positive , but I did find myself listening to the others in the crowd ( those around me were supporting the team ) and thinking we are clutching at straws here, a quick run down the wing by Edwards or Graham that went nowhere or the ball went out, or the occasional good pass was met with views that it will all come good. Crumbs of comfort and not enough.

Bleak grim stuff yesterday, difficult to see where it is going to change.
Match thoughts on 07:15 - Sep 16 with 4235 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 06:47 - Sep 16 by NewcyBlue

If you were there you would have probably understood that this was likely to be worse than anything seen under McCarthy.

At least under Mick we were pretty solid at the back, the stuff wasn’t pretty but we looked like we might nick a goal.

We only had one shot on goal ffs!
Match thoughts on 09:56 - Sep 16 with 4090 viewsBrixtonBlue

Match thoughts on 06:51 - Sep 16 by Chocorange

I agree with much of this.

A poor Hull team had little to deal with, suggesting our system was wrong, the players not good enough, or motivated enough, or a combination of these.
The apparent good 5 minutes at the end of the half( which I didn't see, as I had gone down for refreshments after 39 minutes as I couldn't take watching any more of the grim dross we had served up until that point) , seems to have played a part in PH believing his system was working and we were on top and a goal was about to come.
We started the second half brightly for 5 mins but by 55 minutes or so, it was back to the same pattern as the first half. But our subs were very late, and I too don't understand why...it wasn't as if we were creating lots of chances and being unlucky.
Walters didn't really work as a target man first time he was here , he was better out wide, yesterday this led to to hoof ball , laziness from the defence , though with Skuse and an out of his depth Downes in front of them , as well as Graham who flattered to deceive , what choice did they have. We were hardly going to get incisive passing from the first two. That's not a criticism of Skuse , it's just not his strength.
Downes as the OP says was out of his depth, I think he is wildly overrated too, he couldn't get in the Luton team in league 2 , I don't see why he has had game time this season and Nydam has been shipped out.

Every game this season, has had some small positive , but I did find myself listening to the others in the crowd ( those around me were supporting the team ) and thinking we are clutching at straws here, a quick run down the wing by Edwards or Graham that went nowhere or the ball went out, or the occasional good pass was met with views that it will all come good. Crumbs of comfort and not enough.

Bleak grim stuff yesterday, difficult to see where it is going to change.

I thought I read Downes was the star man at Luton?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Match thoughts on 10:08 - Sep 16 with 4048 viewskeighleyblue

Match thoughts on 09:56 - Sep 16 by BrixtonBlue

I thought I read Downes was the star man at Luton?

Hard to shake the worry that the dressing room is not in a good place. Why if you'd been to the world cup, or were a regular starter at championship level, would you look up to a guy who had never performed to that level of achievement in his career.
Match thoughts on 10:12 - Sep 16 with 4037 viewsBrixtonBlue

Match thoughts on 10:08 - Sep 16 by keighleyblue

Hard to shake the worry that the dressing room is not in a good place. Why if you'd been to the world cup, or were a regular starter at championship level, would you look up to a guy who had never performed to that level of achievement in his career.

Mourinho?

Match thoughts on 10:12 - Sep 16 with 4030 viewsBrixtonBlue

Match thoughts on 05:25 - Sep 16 by Benters2

Come on then Shakespeare why shouldn’t Mach compare our previous manager to our current one?

You've missed the point Benters. As usual.

Match thoughts on 11:16 - Sep 16 with 3957 viewsDarth_Koont

He just can't help himself.

He's not alone. There seems to be a few others out there who think that a good 15-minute spell is a sign of what happens when Mick's not here. And then, in the next post, they're saying the remaining 80 minutes is a sign of how the players can't escape what Mick has drilled into them.

All of which makes even less sense when you see the turnover in players.

Pronouns: He/Him

Match thoughts on 11:20 - Sep 16 with 3946 viewsPJH

Match thoughts on 11:16 - Sep 16 by Darth_Koont

He's not alone. There seems to be a few others out there who think that a good 15-minute spell is a sign of what happens when Mick's not here. And then, in the next post, they're saying the remaining 80 minutes is a sign of how the players can't escape what Mick has drilled into them.

It seems to me that the only thing that has improved since MM left is that we do not have idiots verbally abusing the manager and players (yet) but that says more about the idiots than MM or PH.
Match thoughts on 11:42 - Sep 16 with 3920 viewsBrixtonBlue

Match thoughts on 11:16 - Sep 16 by Darth_Koont

I just see it as a fun game now (RE: Mach's reports). Like Where's Wally?, only considerably easier.

Maybe Gav can set it up as a new prediction league?

Match thoughts on 11:59 - Sep 16 with 3885 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 10:12 - Sep 16 by BrixtonBlue

You've missed the point Benters. As usual.

Thanks.
Match thoughts on 12:06 - Sep 16 with 3879 viewssparks

Match thoughts on 10:08 - Sep 16 by keighleyblue

hard to see how the dressing room can be happy when players do well and get dropped for lesser players -donacien / Spence for instance. What is donaciens confidence and mentality going to be if he's brought back in?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Match thoughts on 13:11 - Sep 16 with 3802 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Match thoughts on 11:42 - Sep 16 by BrixtonBlue

I just see it as a fun game now (RE: Mach's reports). Like Where's Wally?, only considerably easier.

Maybe Gav can set it up as a new prediction league?

I struggle to find your opinion about the match. Having a pop at me without putting yours?

Yeah. Same as the new prediction league about your threads. The attention seeking threads about your issues. Are you going to update us about a length of time about not drinking alcohol any time soon? Or announcing us that you have found a new girlfriend?

As people pointed out lately there is something really wrong with you as your main goal here is to look for arguments with people. More than usual.
Match thoughts on 13:17 - Sep 16 with 3793 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Match thoughts on 12:06 - Sep 16 by sparks

hard to see how the dressing room can be happy when players do well and get dropped for lesser players -donacien / Spence for instance. What is donaciens confidence and mentality going to be if he's brought back in?

I'm never comfortable when I see Spence in the team. How on earth was he handed a 2 year deal?

Donacien hasn't done much wrong so he should never be one of those loanees that is left out. If he had a good player in his position then it would be more understandable but Spence ???
Match thoughts on 13:24 - Sep 16 with 3759 viewsTownly

"Yeah. Same as the new prediction league about your threads. The attention seeking threads about your issues. Are you going to update us about a length of time about not drinking alcohol any time soon? Or announcing us that you have found a new girlfriend?"

That is one very horrible personal attack which says more about your problems than the person on the end of your vitriol.

Sad, very.
Match thoughts on 13:26 - Sep 16 with 3744 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 13:11 - Sep 16 by Mach_foreignBlue

I struggle to find your opinion about the match. Having a pop at me without putting yours?

Yeah. Same as the new prediction league about your threads. The attention seeking threads about your issues. Are you going to update us about a length of time about not drinking alcohol any time soon? Or announcing us that you have found a new girlfriend?

As people pointed out lately there is something really wrong with you as your main goal here is to look for arguments with people. More than usual.

Haha!

That must be 6.75 months now without a beer !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024