Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can someone describe The Beat 22:14 - Sep 16 with 3019 viewsGarv

as a player and liken to him to any current players?

For someone too young to have seen him.

Terribly sad. Seems so unexpected and still young.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:16 - Sep 16 with 3007 viewsReuser_is_God

My dad says you can’t compare him to anyone in the modern game becuase he was twice as good as any of them.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:20 - Sep 16 with 2973 viewsfactual_blue

Difficult, as players can't tackle in the way they used to. As well as his sheer power and physicality that others have referred to, his tackling was an art form.

And on the strength and physicality aspect, remember in those days footballers didn't work out until they had sculpted muscles.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:20 - Sep 16 with 2976 viewsYallop

He could jump as high as the cross bar
He would head the ball like Duncan Ferguson
He would run like Des Walker
He would hit the ball like Alan Shearer and
He would tackle like Stuart Pearce.
Legend. RIP.
Can someone describe The Beat on 22:21 - Sep 16 with 2962 viewsfactual_blue

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:20 - Sep 16 by Yallop

Legend. RIP.

...and he was better than all of them.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:21 - Sep 16 with 2966 viewsPJH

I am not sure that I can compare him like for like with anyone because in my view he was the most complete player that I have ever seen.
He had the pace to match any player,defender or attacker.
He had the power to match any player-he could just run at pace with the ball under control and power through opponents.
He was possibly the best header of a ball that I have ever seen and could jump to amazing heights even from a standing start.
He could tackle as well as any defender, past or present.
The power and accuracy of his left foot shooting was as good as anyone's

If that makes him seem like superman it is because he was.
Can someone describe The Beat on 22:30 - Sep 16 with 2897 viewssparks

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:20 - Sep 16 by Yallop

Legend. RIP.

Titus at his best?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

on 22:30 - Sep 16 with 2891 views_

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:16 - Sep 16 by Reuser_is_God

My dad says you can’t compare him to anyone in the modern game becuase he was twice as good as any of them.

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:31 - Sep 16 with 2900 viewsFtnfwest

There have been plenty of great defenders, midfielders and strikers since he played. He was a great footballer.
Login to get fewer ads

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:35 - Sep 16 with 2861 viewsFixed_It

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:21 - Sep 16 by PJH

I am not sure that I can compare him like for like with anyone because in my view he was the most complete player that I have ever seen.
He had the pace to match any player,defender or attacker.
He had the power to match any player-he could just run at pace with the ball under control and power through opponents.
He was possibly the best header of a ball that I have ever seen and could jump to amazing heights even from a standing start.
He could tackle as well as any defender, past or present.
The power and accuracy of his left foot shooting was as good as anyone's

If that makes him seem like superman it is because he was.

Couldn't put it better myself. And as hard as nails too. I remember him playing in sub-zero temperatures on one of our European trips in a short-sleeved shirt when others were in long sleeves, leggings, gloves etc. And of course there was the time he upset Sylvester Stallone by beating him at arm wrestling on the set of Escape to Victory.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:38 - Sep 16 with 2836 viewsSuperfrans

It’s such a difficult thing to find a modern day comparison, because football is so different and footballers too.

But, if you think of a player like Ronaldo, who is so outstanding because he has pace, power, can shoot with either foot, head the ball with power and probably could be the best centre half in the world, as well as the best striker. That’s what you had with Beattie.

As others have said, Beattie had the best attributes of a great centre half, strong in the air and on the floor, the ability to play the ball short or long, plus he had the attributes to be a great central midfield enforcer AND playmaker, and to be an outstanding centre forward too.

As I write this, I’m thinking, imagine Van Dijk, Pogba and Lukaku all rolled into one. That’s kind of what you had with Beattie.

Plus, of course, by his mid-Twenties he played less and less, which in itself made him for of a legend / icon. The mere threat or possibility of him was petrifying for opposing teams,

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:46 - Sep 16 with 2780 viewsHennikerBlu

A genuinely nice 'one of kind' man. Fit he was all the things others have said. A great family man, very frank and honest about himself, very humble.

We were blessed with footballing giants and he stood tallest.
Can someone describe The Beat on 22:48 - Sep 16 with 2771 viewshowdonblue

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:16 - Sep 16 by Reuser_is_God

Your dad is right !

None of the team at our clubs could clean his boots.

He’d be worth £80-£100 million nowadays

And boy could he head a ball.
I saw him play for Harwich vs Sudbury Town when he retired and he headed the ball from around 15 yards out and it sailed over the bar out of the ground over the fence which was about 20 yards behind the goal.

Powerhouse
Can someone describe The Beat on 22:51 - Sep 16 with 2747 viewsLord_Lucan

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:30 - Sep 16 by sparks

Titus at his best?

That's actually not as daft as people might think.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:54 - Sep 16 with 2745 viewsPJH

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:51 - Sep 16 by Lord_Lucan

I have said on here before that when we saw Titus make his debut for us at Sheff United I said to my son that we have just seen the new Kevin Beattie.

Titus had most of the attributes that The Beat had but in reality there was only ever going to be one Kevin Beattie.
Can someone describe The Beat on 23:04 - Sep 16 with 2677 viewsSuffolktractor

Impossible to compare him with anyone else. He was ‘simply the best’.
I was lucky to have watched him throughout his entire career and as Town fans we were simply in awe of him. Incredible natural strength, raw power, but also a superb understanding of the game. I know we will never see anyone any where near his talent play for Ipswich again, I dont think there will be many anywhere in the world that will ever be as good as him.
Love to all his family, he will never be forgotten.
Can someone describe The Beat on 07:52 - Sep 17 with 2359 viewsDeano69

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:21 - Sep 16 by factual_blue

...and he was better than all of them.

That’s not an exaggeration either. Simply awesome.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Can someone describe The Beat on 07:59 - Sep 17 with 2338 viewsKeno

If you were able to take the best attributes of all the best defenders currently playing and have played the game in the past 20 years and were able to clone into a one defender then you might have a player who could play along side Kevin Beattie

As others have said he was an awesome player who, unless you saw him in his prime, it is impossible to imagine just how good he was

and he played for Ipswich

and he played in a team worthy of his talent

and I was oh so lucky to have seen that team play

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Can someone describe The Beat on 08:02 - Sep 17 with 2328 viewssolemio

Many folk quite rightly point out that he was superb in the air. The thing that always amazed me was that he reached prodigious heights with his arms kept almost by his sides.
There were never elbows in an opponent's face. How he reached as high as he did jumping like that was astonishing.
Can someone describe The Beat on 08:08 - Sep 17 with 2309 viewsosborne

Titus at his best?

Yeah, that is a good comparison, but the Beat was that all match, every match, season after season. Titus also had something of his charisma, in that he was easy to love and you felt he was one of us.
Can someone describe The Beat on 08:17 - Sep 17 with 2280 viewsallezlesbleus

Titus at his best?

I remember when Titus first broke into the 1st team and he embarked on a surging run from the centre of defence, right through numerous opposition players and I said to my mate, "Blimey, if he keeps this up, we could have another Kevin Beattie".

The Beat was a legend. So strong and powerful. I'll never forget his goal from near the hallway line, in front of the West Stand dugouts to the North Stand goal.
Can someone describe The Beat on 08:58 - Sep 17 with 2196 viewsElephantintheRoom

Probably best to compare him with giants from other sports who shone all too briefly. Watch the 30 minute film on NFL running back and baseball star Bo Jackson. He was possiblyby far the greatest to play either sport but is in the hall of fame of neither because of injury. Ian Botham too sort of encompassed his superman prowess for a couple of years. Imagine the best player you will ever see blazing into this current terrible team, being able to do everything anf then disappear into legend within 3 years - apart from some sporadic, cruelly diminished reappearnaces through injuries and other issues.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Can someone describe The Beat on 09:01 - Sep 17 with 2184 viewsconnorscontract

I think the tribute by Alan Hudson posted yesterday said it all really: as classy as Bobby Moore, and as hard as any of the feared Centre Halves of his day: Harris, Norman Hunter etc.

Hudson was a very good footballer, and played against Beattie many times for Stoke, and for Arsenal in the 78 FA Cup Final.

If I had to come up with a comparison in contemporary football it would probably be Carlos Puyol.
Can someone describe The Beat on 09:22 - Sep 17 with 2122 viewsNo9

I first saw him play for Town's youth team. He was obviously special and remained so
Can someone describe The Beat on 09:38 - Sep 17 with 2078 viewstextbackup

Can someone describe The Beat on 22:51 - Sep 16 by Lord_Lucan

That Sunderland goal he got vs Sunderland was what I’d imagine Beattie would do weekly!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024