Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned 05:53 - Sep 17 with 1991 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Morning all. Hope everyone is well.

Well that was a strange away day. Certainly not the kind I envisaged a month ago anyway. I was expecting to be at the game Saturday, sober, with my Grandad watching a free flowing Town performance with the Hurst Era well underway.

Instead I found myself cracking open the ciders on the 9:34 from St Pancras to Nottingham to the shock of the fella opposite me. 'I'm not an alcoholic - it's a football away day' was what I'd told the Tesco bloke who'd served me my beverages of choice (Strongbow Dark Fruits if anyone's remotely interested) an hour and a half prior to boarding.

The train was a piece of p*ss as it always is on that line. I got off at East Midlands Parkway just after 11 and, along with everyone else who got off, jumped on the Megabus Coach heading to Hull. The train and coach offer may have taken 4 hours in total but was only £9. Great value. Would've been £45 if I had got the train straight to Hull from King's Cross. The coach was actually quite comfortable. The only downside being I split half a cider at one stage. That and the driver speeding off when we'd stopped at Scunthorpe and I'd gone for a p*ss in the coach cubicle. Just my luck we'd go round the roundabout whilst I held on for dear life whilst attempting not to paint the wall..

Anyway, I was greeted by Newcy at the station and we made our way to the away pub. Well it had a mixture of Ipswich, Hull and even a few fake Liverpool fans watching their game so probably wasn't a designated away pub. We met with Bluewein and his brother (good to see you both) before the four of us jumped in a taxi to the ground whilst my lack of navigation skills came into question. Now, I can't really talk here because I live in Romford but feckin hell Hull is a sh*thole. It really is. Not quite at Rotherham standards but easily giving Barnsley a go as the second grottiest area I've visited for the footy. No Rommy hotdog rating this week as myself and Bluwein were in desperate need for a p*ss. Weirdly, Hull decided that despite my manbag having barely anything in it, it deserved a pink strap on it for 'security reasons'. Hmmmmmm.

A quick cider and chat with Mullet and then into the stands we went. The stadium itself is a soulless bowl. I haven't done Reading but apparently it has a similar feel to it. It was half empty that's for sure and reminded me of Cardiff when we played them a couple of years back and lost 3-1. I came away from that game with the ump as well funnily enough. Asides from the lack of a crowd, the player's came out to some applause from the home fans and a bit of noise from the 850 of us in blue.

On to the game.. and this is where it all goes downhill I'm afraid after what had been an enjoyable afternoon with good company. 'I really hope we start well here' was what I had asked for beforehand. Instead what I got was a totally gutless stupid unexplainable start from Town. We sat back early and won precisely zero midfield battles. Simple ball through the middle and their bloke just wandered through our defence (tracked by nobody from Suffolk) to dink it over Bart. I was shocked as much as anything. At best, it was naive from Town. Who was watching him? Terrible terrible defending. And that was just the start of things to come..

For a good half an hour, Hull were on top and carving the space between midfield and defence apart like a knife through butter. Every single time we got it back, it was being hoofed up to Walters. He would lose the header to the number 3 for Hull who had JW in his pocket to be honest. From there, Hull just walked through our non-existent midfield to run at the defence. It was almost as if the gameplan fo us was to get it as far away from our goal as soon as possible with no ambition to create a chance ourselves.

Nolan was poor. He showed nothing and, had it not been for the nonexistent display of Flynn Downes, would have earned my lowest rating. Edwards barely had a kick because of the lack of service. The half was summed up by the cheers as we got a freekick with about 5/10 minutes of the half to go only for Graham to put it 20 yards past the back post. I saw Mach at half time and he too wasn't impressed. Even the most optimistic of performers would have been angry at what hey had seen first half.

The second kicked off with the same team and the same stupid formation relying on Nolan to create a chance. For the first time, I was worried by Hursts appointment. His lack of energy pitch side (as pointed out by Blueweins brother) as he stood motionless was extremely worrying. For a few minutes we gave it abit of a go. A halfchance or two without really looking like carving out a decent opportunity and the game drifted by. Eventually, a change happened. 71 minutes in though. But Hull looked more likely to score and the chances came and went for the home side. Two good saves by Gerken (our best player for sure) before the settler came. It was only when I saw the highlights this morning did I realise just how sh*te that defending was from Spence. Wtf was he thinking? Sloppy isn't even the right word for that level of idiocy at the back - moronic is closer. Our end emptied quicker than I had seen in a long time as the game ticked into stoppage time. We saw Sitters who was equally as dissapointed as it sounded like Hull went close again from the noise inside the ground.

Gerken - 8 - Did well. No chance for either goal.
Spence - 4 - Poor.
Pennington - 6 - Meh defensively. Hoooooooofed every time he touched the ball.
Chambers - 6 - Same as Pennington really.
Knudsen - 5 - Ok in parts. Positioning poor too often though.
Downes - 3 - Nonexistent in midfield. I like him but he had a mare.
Skuse - 5 - Offered nothing on ball and was opened up by Hull's midfielders.
Edwards - 6 - No service at all. At least he tried to take his man on.
Graham - 6 - Same as Edwards. He gave it a go i suppose.
Nolan - 4 - Awful. The formation relies on him to create but he looked lost.
Walters - 5 - Beaten by Hull's CB in the air most times. Had no help though in fairness.

Back through the ugly streets of Hull, after another p*ss break (poxy ciders) and we were in the car and heading for home by half five. Shoutout to Newcy for the lift to Peterborough as planned. The first train out of Hull wasn't until 6:34 and we were only a few dozen miles from Ipswich by that point.

I got the train from Peterborough and my dream about my Indian was interrupted as I got a call that my aforementioned Grandad that was planning on coming to the game until getting ill last month, was rushed to hospital in an ambulance and is now in intensive care. This report was actually being written this afternoon but then plan changed as my nan had a mini stroke (so the doctors believe anyway). So apologies if anything has been repeated here in this post but i cba to read back over it if it has.

Asides from that news of the last 36 hours, I'm all good. My break from TWTD was all good. I start uni next Sunday which I'm looking forward to so have been busy sorting that out. As a result, I will miss the Brentford game midweek as I expect to be shopping a bit this week as you'd expect. I did chuckle at the idea I had left becuase of the Waggy sale. As much as it annoyed me that we would sell our best player, of course that had no relevance to my absence. I'm sure give it a few months and I'll be back full-time on here balls deep in the Corbyn threads like everyone else I just thought I would have a quick 'return' for a Rommy Report on the scarcely populated Hull game from a Town perspective. It's just a shame that it's a negative one.

Saw the news on here this afternoon about Kevin Beattie. Even though I obviously hadn't seen him play, you grow up reading about the good days of Town and he was at the forefront of that. Certainly seemed like a proper Ipswich Legend from what I've read and I hope Town give him a proper acknowledgment in some way (maybe a statue is something our widely regarded best ever player would deserve).

A final word on Town and I will admit I'm worried. Saturday looked like a typical Ipswich away performance under Mick at his worst but without the fight and desire in the middle to win the individual battles and the solid defensive line. Tough times ahead this season I fear.

Stadium - 6
Hotdog - N/A
Town's performance - 2
Awayday - 7

Keep safe out there lads.
Rommy

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 06:02 - Sep 17 with 1947 viewsBenters2

Great report Rommy.

All the very best with Uni.
Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 06:23 - Sep 17 with 1912 viewsbrogansnose

Cheers Rommy. Thanks for that mate and I'll see you Saturday. One small point, P'boro is lots of dozens of miles from Ipswich !!!

Don't care what others say, we shouldn't have let Waggy go. I'm with you on that.

Hope college is ok. Apparently you should be getting drunk this week and mingling with the honey's.

Hope Grandad is alright.
Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 06:54 - Sep 17 with 1858 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 06:23 - Sep 17 by brogansnose

Cheers Rommy. Thanks for that mate and I'll see you Saturday. One small point, P'boro is lots of dozens of miles from Ipswich !!!

Don't care what others say, we shouldn't have let Waggy go. I'm with you on that.

Hope college is ok. Apparently you should be getting drunk this week and mingling with the honey's.

Hope Grandad is alright.

I know it's early brogansnose but that apostrophe........surely they're honeyz !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 06:57 - Sep 17 with 1848 viewsfabian_illness

Hope your Nan and Grandad are on the mend mate.
Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 07:03 - Sep 17 with 1836 viewsGuthrum

Have a great time starting uni. Hopefully catch up at a game some time this season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 07:35 - Sep 17 with 1746 viewsbrogansnose

Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 06:54 - Sep 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

I know it's early brogansnose but that apostrophe........surely they're honeyz !

Yeah, but I'm not down with the kidz like you Bankie!!!
Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 08:54 - Sep 17 with 1605 viewsbluewein

Great catching up mate. Sorry I didn't say cheerio properly at the end. Was so fooking angry at that point!

All the best for Uni bud. I never went, but I'm pretty sure you'll have a blast!

You going Brum away? If so I'll look out for ya...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 09:56 - Sep 17 with 1477 viewsstrikalite

Good to see you back Rommy, great report as ever....though that is the most worrying report I've read I think, they were all meant to be fired up and at it after the International break I thought? They're all fighting for starting places, right??

Tuesday night can't come fast enough now, I'm expecting a reaction from that timid display at the very least. Very sad new indeed on KB...don't make them like him anymore sadly..

All the best to your Grandparents too....
Login to get fewer ads

Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 13:47 - Sep 17 with 1325 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Rommy Report (Hull away) - albeit later than planned on 08:54 - Sep 17 by bluewein

Great catching up mate. Sorry I didn't say cheerio properly at the end. Was so fooking angry at that point!

All the best for Uni bud. I never went, but I'm pretty sure you'll have a blast!

You going Brum away? If so I'll look out for ya...

Yeah I’m at Brum

My brother and a few of his mates are coming to that I believe. We never win when they come.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024