Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? 11:50 - Sep 17 with 2163 viewspmh

I hate minutes applauses. Means nothing, I much prefer a minutes silence in a football stadium. I just love to see a packed excitable stadium hushed in seconds to silence.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2018 11:51]
Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 11:57 - Sep 17 with 2132 viewsBluebell

Unfortunately every time we have had a minutes silence for someone there are idiots down on the concourse shouting and screaming. They then come up the stairs and wonder why it is so quiet.

A minutes applause is what we need for the Beat.
Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 11:57 - Sep 17 with 2130 viewsBrianTablet

Totally agree.
If we can't keep quiet for a minute, that's a pitiful situation.

The power of silence is immense, and it really gets you where these kind of things should do.

It should be 60 seconds of emotional silence followed by a roar and "Beattie is Back" being chanted for an age.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:07 - Sep 17 with 2080 viewsNazemariner

Agree. It is much more respectful to observe a minutes silence.
Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:17 - Sep 17 with 2048 viewsEastTownBlue

Applause seems to have been introduced for celebrating someone's life, Kevin Beattie being a good example.

Silence has been retained for occasions where applause is not appropriate, big tragedies and around Remembrance Sunday.

That is the way it has gone in the last ten years and football seems to prefer applause for some reason.
Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:20 - Sep 17 with 2028 viewsSwansea_Blue

As long as we remember him, does it really matter? I'd have thought noise would be more appropriate for someone who lived to play on the pitch in front of the fans. But don't think it's particularly important either way.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:22 - Sep 17 with 2013 viewsPJH

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:20 - Sep 17 by Swansea_Blue

As long as we remember him, does it really matter? I'd have thought noise would be more appropriate for someone who lived to play on the pitch in front of the fans. But don't think it's particularly important either way.

Whichever it was I know that I would(will) have tears in my eyes.
Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:33 - Sep 17 with 1972 viewspmh

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:07 - Sep 17 by Nazemariner

Agree. It is much more respectful to observe a minutes silence.

Yeah I have heard noisy people in the concourse prior to a minutes silence before. The stewards and people serving in the concourses should advise people from 2.50/7.35 that a silence is to take place.

We normally don't get into the ground until about 10 minutes prior to kick off I then get my two lads a hot dog each and we go straight to our seats. My lads have often been eating during a minutes silence but that is way better than the noise from the concourse.
Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:34 - Sep 17 with 1972 viewschicoazul

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:17 - Sep 17 by EastTownBlue

Applause seems to have been introduced for celebrating someone's life, Kevin Beattie being a good example.

Silence has been retained for occasions where applause is not appropriate, big tragedies and around Remembrance Sunday.

That is the way it has gone in the last ten years and football seems to prefer applause for some reason.

Applause is a continental thing. I too much prefer silence but I do see where applause can be as good. Perhaps it is something the deceased's family can request.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:37 - Sep 17 with 1947 viewstextbackup

Come the 6th min we’ll probably be silent anyway, so that’s when that will happen!

But seriously, should be silence before the game, and clap on 6th min.

And Brentford are probably the set of fans I’d pick that would be as respectful as we would be if the roles were reversed.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:53 - Sep 17 with 1870 viewsGarv

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 12:17 - Sep 17 by EastTownBlue

Reduces risk of certain people wanting to ruin it by making noise, and in a way applause is better, as you say, to celebrate someone.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 13:05 - Sep 17 with 1815 viewsnoggin

Beattie's life should be celebrated, rather than his death mourned, imho.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 13:18 - Sep 17 with 1765 viewsParisBlue

I understand it will be followed by 90 minutes of silence...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 13:20 - Sep 17 with 1753 viewsBasingstokeBlue

I would imagine that the family has been consulted on the matter and expressed their preference. If so, let's just abide by their decision and see our hero off in style.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Why is is not a minutes silence for Beattie? on 13:41 - Sep 17 with 1698 viewsSouperJim

I'm not a fan of the minutes silence as it has a very negative affect on the atmosphere after, but I do feel that applause should be spontaneous, not planned.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024