Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man 21:59 - Sep 17 with 2520 viewsMaySixth

but I think Hurst will come good

++ puts tin hat on ++

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:00 - Sep 17 with 2506 viewsdavblue

I really hope so, otherwise we will appoint a been there, seen it done it type of manager again.
Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:06 - Sep 17 with 2491 viewsHerbivore

McCarthy kept us up when we were 7 points adrift and bottom of the league and had us in the play offs 2 years later. If he was the wrong man then let's hope Hurst is too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:09 - Sep 17 with 2466 viewsPJH

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:06 - Sep 17 by Herbivore

McCarthy kept us up when we were 7 points adrift and bottom of the league and had us in the play offs 2 years later. If he was the wrong man then let's hope Hurst is too.

or that Hurst's replacement does as well as MM did.
Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:12 - Sep 17 with 2449 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:09 - Sep 17 by PJH

or that Hurst's replacement does as well as MM did.

Talk of Hurst's replacement when he's been here for 7 games is rather silly.

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:19 - Sep 17 with 2404 viewsPJH

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:12 - Sep 17 by Herbivore

Talk of Hurst's replacement when he's been here for 7 games is rather silly.

Unless things improve pretty quickly then ME will need to give some thought to Hurst's replacement if he wants to preserve our Championship status.
The OP header says that we MAY have hired the wrong man and a lot of things indicate to me that we have.
I might of course be wrong but at the moment all I can see Hurst achieving here is to be the first person to take us out of the wrong end of the second tier since 1954/55.
Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:30 - Sep 17 with 2354 viewsFootballpete

How exactly was McCarthy the wrong man? He saved us when we were a looking nailed on to go down and took us far as he could.

Our problem is that we have no direction. Our owner is not able / not willing to invest to a level required to make us competitive, and as a result we’re only likely to go one way sooner or later. That’s not really Hursts fault, nor Evans really. Football has become ridiculous and for a club that has punched above its weight for 50 years, only an unsustainable level of investment would keep us in the position we’ve become to expect. The same will happen to Norwich within a couple of years.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 23:29 - Sep 17 with 2288 viewsBonchosBicycle

We desperately need to find the net. In another thread it was mentioned many of our chances have been half chances. We need to take half of those half chances. So far we haven't taken any really and missed a couple of sitters on top of that. I don't know if one up front is going to work but whenever we've put two up we seem to be reverting to "hump it long and hope." Like most of us here I wanted to see us get back to the slick passing game we were once known for. It's way too early for panic. I'm not as sanguine as I was two weeks ago but we're in the trenches right now and I don't see a good option apart from getting behind the team. They need us more than ever.
Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 08:19 - Sep 18 with 2160 viewsHerbivore

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:19 - Sep 17 by PJH

Unless things improve pretty quickly then ME will need to give some thought to Hurst's replacement if he wants to preserve our Championship status.
The OP header says that we MAY have hired the wrong man and a lot of things indicate to me that we have.
I might of course be wrong but at the moment all I can see Hurst achieving here is to be the first person to take us out of the wrong end of the second tier since 1954/55.

I think given how strongly you felt about not wanting Mick to go any new manager was always going to have a tough job convincing you. There were some sceptical comments about Hurst long before a ball was even kicked. He needs to be given time, replacing a manager who's been at a club for 6 years and overhauling half the squad was always going to mean a bumpy ride early on.

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 08:56 - Sep 18 with 2119 viewsPJH

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 08:19 - Sep 18 by Herbivore

I think given how strongly you felt about not wanting Mick to go any new manager was always going to have a tough job convincing you. There were some sceptical comments about Hurst long before a ball was even kicked. He needs to be given time, replacing a manager who's been at a club for 6 years and overhauling half the squad was always going to mean a bumpy ride early on.

I agree with your first point and have in fact pointed out myself that I have largely held back from saying what I was thinking about PH because of my thoughts about MM and how he was treated by some.
I was sceptical about him long before a ball was kicked because of his lower league only transfer policy which he took to even stating with one of the signings that "and he has not played at this level" as though that was a virtue.
It seemed to me that that policy might produce some successful acquisitions but was also likely to produce some failures.
I think that the two best signings that have been made are Walters and Pennington because they knew what it was like to play at this level and above.

I am not sure that any manager that followed MM would get a hard time convincing me because the only two that were suggested that I was very much against were Stam and Cowley.
I can understand ME trying a different approach but I am far from convinced that his choice of manager is the right one.
Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 09:09 - Sep 18 with 2100 viewsDissblue

Well Marcus Evans' track record with the managers he's appointed so far hasn't set the world alight.
Is this just another one?

Poll: if you were asked to vote in a second Brexit referendum, would you vote:

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 13:20 - Sep 18 with 1966 viewsEireannach_gorm

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 08:56 - Sep 18 by PJH

I agree with your first point and have in fact pointed out myself that I have largely held back from saying what I was thinking about PH because of my thoughts about MM and how he was treated by some.
I was sceptical about him long before a ball was kicked because of his lower league only transfer policy which he took to even stating with one of the signings that "and he has not played at this level" as though that was a virtue.
It seemed to me that that policy might produce some successful acquisitions but was also likely to produce some failures.
I think that the two best signings that have been made are Walters and Pennington because they knew what it was like to play at this level and above.

I am not sure that any manager that followed MM would get a hard time convincing me because the only two that were suggested that I was very much against were Stam and Cowley.
I can understand ME trying a different approach but I am far from convinced that his choice of manager is the right one.

Totally agree. It was right for Mick to go but the treatment at the end was phathetic. Out of respect to the good work he did here he should have been given a respectful send off. Yes the last few years were turgid but you have to work with the resources you have. Great to see a new manager come in with fresh and risk taking ideas but the inexperience factor is becoming an obvious weakness. What Hurst needs is a bit of luck and that the team scrambles a few dodgy wins. The danger of playing league one players is that they are comfortable in that league which may be a advantage if we remain at the tail of this league for too long a period. I am still hopeful of a turnaround but it needs to be done sooner than later. I think the obvious mistake of using league one players is attempting to be rectified with the likes of Walters and Collins being targeted.
Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 13:29 - Sep 18 with 1931 viewsBlueinBrum

MM was the right man for several years, and then it was time for a change. Our bad start this season doesn't change that.

From where I'm sitting Hurst looked a very good choice in pretty much every respect, but of course that doesn't guarantee anything. But even if it all goes fully pear shaped, I still won't be angry that Hurst was selected in the first place.
Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 16:03 - Sep 18 with 1855 viewsLeagueOne

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:30 - Sep 17 by Footballpete

How exactly was McCarthy the wrong man? He saved us when we were a looking nailed on to go down and took us far as he could.

Our problem is that we have no direction. Our owner is not able / not willing to invest to a level required to make us competitive, and as a result we’re only likely to go one way sooner or later. That’s not really Hursts fault, nor Evans really. Football has become ridiculous and for a club that has punched above its weight for 50 years, only an unsustainable level of investment would keep us in the position we’ve become to expect. The same will happen to Norwich within a couple of years.

He's worth 700mill, he's able to spend loads more, even under FFP but doesn't because he doesn't want to.

The way he must look at it was he was duped into buying a lame horse by Sheepshanks and Bowden and after hiring top trainers to no avail and a few embarrassing races he's left the horse with the basics to survive in a field rather than spend any more money trying to make it a winner.

Bet he wishes he just renewed his Chelsea season ticket instead!

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 17:42 - Sep 18 with 1769 viewschristiand

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 22:30 - Sep 17 by Footballpete

Footballpete, you can’t go around making statements like that when we all know ME keeps putting in £6m of his own monies in each season to keep us afloat. Apparently, he’s the only chairman in footballing history that does that, so we should all be extremely grateful.....ignore the lack of his ambition for the club, that doesn’t count or matter!! 😉
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 19:25]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 18:47 - Sep 18 with 1715 viewsblueconscience

Mick McCarthy was the wrong man, we MAY have hired the wrong man on 09:09 - Sep 18 by Dissblue

Well Marcus Evans' track record with the managers he's appointed so far hasn't set the world alight.
Is this just another one?

Then perhaps the real problem is Evans.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024