Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury 09:37 - Sep 18 with 6593 viewsitfcjoe

When he came in he started like this:

DWLLDWWLLLD so 12 points from first 11 games

And then things seemed to click

19 points from next 9 games

And then a poor run

DDLLLL

Followed by an average end to the season

8 points from 5 games

Hopefully we go on a good run soon, but he is a manager at least who has shown he can arrest a slide in results and turn bad runs into good runs

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:43 - Sep 18 with 3948 viewsCurrie10

Go on then, lets have a bit of faith and see what Hurst can do.

Brentford H / Bolton H / Birmingham A take us to the magic 10.

I'm more an 11 game kinda guy ;) so I'll chuck in Boro H

3 home games, 1 away until the 25% mark ( closest indicator )
Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:45 - Sep 18 with 3931 viewsGlasgowBlue

It comes down to players though.

i doubt PH wanted to lose Webster, Waghorn and Garner when he'd only been in the job a few weeks.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:47 - Sep 18 with 3923 viewsitfcjoe

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:45 - Sep 18 by GlasgowBlue

i doubt PH wanted to lose Webster, Waghorn and Garner when he'd only been in the job a few weeks.

I think he was happy enough to see them go as allowed him the flexibility to have a bit of spending power in the permanent market to shape the team.

Remember, when we want players to stay we turn down bids and have done so with a number of players in the last few seasons.

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:47 - Sep 18 with 3916 viewsFrimleyBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:45 - Sep 18 by GlasgowBlue

But he also had freedom to go shopping........

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:49 - Sep 18 with 3897 viewsFrimleyBlue

There was however a lot less pressure at Shrewsbury when he took the job, the club were already struggling, so he was onto a winner, succeed and he's done well. Fail and he just couldn't stop a sinking ship.

This is a different scenario.

Strangely, he's also only won 2 out of his last 17 league matches. A change in style? approach to the game? Could be down to the following.... over the course of 2017/2018 he let go 21 players and brought in 19, 7 of them in the jan window, which coincided with their slightly less appealing win ratio during the latter part of the 2017/2018 season.

[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 10:07]

Waka waka eh eh

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:50 - Sep 18 with 3899 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

So after having 3 from 7 currently, to match his start at Shrewsbury then we need 9 points from the next 4 games.

Brentford (H)
Bolton (H)
Birmingham (A)
Swansea (A)

One (Birmingham) very winnable game, one (Brentford) very tough one and the other two are winnable if we play at our very best standard. No reason we can't get the 9 to match his 11 game start at Shrewbury, but we need 5 at the very least imo.
Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:52 - Sep 18 with 3881 viewsGlasgowBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:47 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

But he also had freedom to go shopping........

How much of the Webster/Waghorn/Garner money did he get to spend though?

The problem I see is that an old head like Mick would have known how to get in decent players on the cheap and get them performing PDQ. Whereas Hurst strikes me as somebody who has gone for what he knows (the lower leagues) and these players will take far longer to click and aren't yet the finished product.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:54 - Sep 18 with 3858 viewsFrimleyBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:52 - Sep 18 by GlasgowBlue

The problem I see is that an old head like Mick would have known how to get in decent players on the cheap and get them performing PDQ. Whereas Hurst strikes me as somebody who has gone for what he knows (the lower leagues) and these players will take far longer to click and aren't yet the finished product.

Quite a bit by the volume of players that came in and the length of contracts handed out.

We most certainly don't get Walters or Graham on the cheap either.

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:59 - Sep 18 with 3820 viewsitfcjoe

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:49 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

There was however a lot less pressure at Shrewsbury when he took the job, the club were already struggling, so he was onto a winner, succeed and he's done well. Fail and he just couldn't stop a sinking ship.

Strangely, he's also only won 2 out of his last 17 league matches. A change in style? approach to the game? Could be down to the following.... over the course of 2017/2018 he let go 21 players and brought in 19, 7 of them in the jan window, which coincided with their slightly less appealing win ratio during the latter part of the 2017/2018 season.

It's actually 2 out of 15, but that excludes 2 wins in the PO semis as well.

At back end of last season Shrews ran out of gas and he was resting players to get the ready for the POs as they couldn't catch Blackburn or Wigan so I wouldn't worry too much about that

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:01 - Sep 18 with 3800 viewsCurrie10

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:59 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

It's actually 2 out of 15, but that excludes 2 wins in the PO semis as well.

At back end of last season Shrews ran out of gas and he was resting players to get the ready for the POs as they couldn't catch Blackburn or Wigan so I wouldn't worry too much about that

Lets hope we don't run out of gas at the end of the season ala Shrewsbury then! Or the end of the season, could be painful
Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:06 - Sep 18 with 3761 viewsitfcjoe

He's clearly spent a fair bit - fees appear to be accepted as follows

Fees
Nolan and Nsiala - £2m combined
Edwards - £700k
Harrison - £700k
Jackson - £1.6m
Donacien - £750k
Total - 5.75m

Freebies
Roberts

Loans
Walters
Graham
Edun
Pennington
Chalobah

Hard to put a figure on loans, but guess other than Edun none of those came cheap.

Obviously until accounts released we won't know, but does feel as though he has been backed more than Mick ever was with regards to the reinvestment of transfer fees

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:13 - Sep 18 with 3703 viewsBrixtonBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 09:49 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

I don't think there's much difference here as there was there, albeit a league higher, in terms of scenario.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:15 - Sep 18 with 3693 viewsFrimleyBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:13 - Sep 18 by BrixtonBlue

I don't think there's much difference here as there was there, albeit a league higher, in terms of scenario.

Do you mean as we stand now or what he took over in June?

Waka waka eh eh

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:22 - Sep 18 with 3651 viewsBrixtonBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:15 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

Do you mean as we stand now or what he took over in June?

What he took over in June, obviously.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:26 - Sep 18 with 3631 viewsVic

Add to that they will more likely be affected by a poor run, lack of goals, no wins, etc.

It's really not a good mix, which I think a few of us recognised but hoped it would be alright. Currently our fears are being realised!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:28 - Sep 18 with 3625 viewsFrimleyBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:22 - Sep 18 by BrixtonBlue

What he took over in June, obviously.

I was hoping you were going to say now tbh

June...... He took over a very solid club with healthy foundations that needed a slight tweaking in places.

It's no one elses fault, that he's decided to rebuild them and start a new career on FM2018 with unreal player settings.

EVEN if you go with 3 players apparently asking for moves. He had the whole window PLUS the loan window to add championship ready players to the team in place of those he let go. He didn't do that.

Waka waka eh eh

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:51 - Sep 18 with 3500 viewsBrixtonBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:28 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

June...... He took over a very solid club with healthy foundations that needed a slight tweaking in places.

It's no one elses fault, that he's decided to rebuild them and start a new career on FM2018 with unreal player settings.

EVEN if you go with 3 players apparently asking for moves. He had the whole window PLUS the loan window to add championship ready players to the team in place of those he let go. He didn't do that.

We needed WAY more than slight tweaking. Mick has kept us up for several years.

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:20 - Sep 18 with 3372 viewsJ2BLUE

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 10:28 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

MM was criticised for only signing 'Championship ready' players. We all wanted a manager to raid the lower leagues and now Hurst is getting stick for it.

The problem with Championship ready players is that we can't afford the best ones so if we stuck to that strategy we would basically be accepting mid table. Our owner went and got one of the best managers in league one and backed him with funds from sales. This is what we asked for. 7 games in and it's not going well. Of course people can be concerned but there has to be some balance. I'm confident that after 17 games we'll be comfortably mid table and looking to establish some real groundwork for next season.

There's nothing wrong with being disappointed and concerned. There is something wrong (IMO) with constantly twisting everything to be ultra negative based on a very questionable source.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:24 - Sep 18 with 3359 viewsRegencyBlue

With the benefit of hindsight it would probably have been better to make a Director of Football type appointment, with Championship experience, who could have advised Hurst whilst he came up to speed with Championship football.

He gives the impression of being out of his depth at the moment and, whilst it would be ridiculous to remove him after only 7 League games, I do not see him lasting beyond Christmas if this carries on. 3 out of 21 points is guaranteed relegation form, whatever side of the argument you are on.

For starters Hurst needs to settle on his best 11 and stick with them. The constant changes are not helping.
Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:30 - Sep 18 with 3325 viewsFrimleyBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:20 - Sep 18 by J2BLUE

MM was criticised for only signing 'Championship ready' players. We all wanted a manager to raid the lower leagues and now Hurst is getting stick for it.

The problem with Championship ready players is that we can't afford the best ones so if we stuck to that strategy we would basically be accepting mid table. Our owner went and got one of the best managers in league one and backed him with funds from sales. This is what we asked for. 7 games in and it's not going well. Of course people can be concerned but there has to be some balance. I'm confident that after 17 games we'll be comfortably mid table and looking to establish some real groundwork for next season.

There's nothing wrong with being disappointed and concerned. There is something wrong (IMO) with constantly twisting everything to be ultra negative based on a very questionable source.

The issue is really j2, it's getting the right mixture. Mick did a great job imo in the transfer market, I can't remember there being many posts on here about the lack of quality of the signings made, the general consensus however was the football itself wasn't good enough despite results being ok. Mick always had a good mix of championship tried players and inexperienced as well as given our own a chance as and when the opportunity arose.

I think Hurst has however gone completely against what is required as a championship level manager and his own previous transfer policy isn't well suited for this level of football in this era.

Correct he has been backed and Evans as supported him, and i'm well aware he has been a successful lower league manager, but I can't see how this squad, until at least January and more shopping is done, can compete at this level of football.

But if he's still here, he's got to add some steel and knowledge of this level to the squad.

I don't think I have twisted anything in this thread, other than provide my thoughts on the OP and subsequent replies.

Waka waka eh eh

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:35 - Sep 18 with 3298 viewsFrimleyBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:24 - Sep 18 by RegencyBlue

With the benefit of hindsight it would probably have been better to make a Director of Football type appointment, with Championship experience, who could have advised Hurst whilst he came up to speed with Championship football.

He gives the impression of being out of his depth at the moment and, whilst it would be ridiculous to remove him after only 7 League games, I do not see him lasting beyond Christmas if this carries on. 3 out of 21 points is guaranteed relegation form, whatever side of the argument you are on.

For starters Hurst needs to settle on his best 11 and stick with them. The constant changes are not helping.

I'm looking up to see if he does prefer to chop and change over a settled lineup. IF this is correct...... He had a squad of 39 players for the 2017/2018

Waka waka eh eh

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:52 - Sep 18 with 3242 viewsm14_blue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:35 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

I'm looking up to see if he does prefer to chop and change over a settled lineup. IF this is correct...... He had a squad of 39 players for the 2017/2018

A very rudimentary bit of research shows that Shrewsbury had 8 players who played over 40 times in the league last season, and another 5 who played over 30.

You obviously didn't look very hard.
Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:57 - Sep 18 with 3212 viewsFrimleyBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:52 - Sep 18 by m14_blue

A very rudimentary bit of research shows that Shrewsbury had 8 players who played over 40 times in the league last season, and another 5 who played over 30.

You obviously didn't look very hard.

I've not finished, everyone said they wanted more to my posts than figures, so I'm looking into league+ cup totals etc

jeez I can't win.

Waka waka eh eh

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 12:00 - Sep 18 with 3204 viewsm14_blue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:57 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

I've not finished, everyone said they wanted more to my posts than figures, so I'm looking into league+ cup totals etc

jeez I can't win.

Well, maybe you should have finished before posting a really misleading fact that supports your narrative?

It looks more and more likely that you might be proved right about Hurst, but you still seem to want to look for things that aren't there.

Shrewsbury fans will tell you that, if anything, they were frustrated by the lack of changes last year, and that perhaps that was part of the reason they ran out of legs towards the end of the season.
Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 12:01 - Sep 18 with 3193 viewsBrixtonBlue

Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury on 11:30 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

The issue is really j2, it's getting the right mixture. Mick did a great job imo in the transfer market, I can't remember there being many posts on here about the lack of quality of the signings made, the general consensus however was the football itself wasn't good enough despite results being ok. Mick always had a good mix of championship tried players and inexperienced as well as given our own a chance as and when the opportunity arose.

I think Hurst has however gone completely against what is required as a championship level manager and his own previous transfer policy isn't well suited for this level of football in this era.

Correct he has been backed and Evans as supported him, and i'm well aware he has been a successful lower league manager, but I can't see how this squad, until at least January and more shopping is done, can compete at this level of football.

But if he's still here, he's got to add some steel and knowledge of this level to the squad.

I don't think I have twisted anything in this thread, other than provide my thoughts on the OP and subsequent replies.

"his own previous transfer policy isn't well suited for this level of football in this era."

What does this bit mean?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024