Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bornean orangutans facing extinction 09:48 - Sep 18 with 665 viewsStokieBlue

This is really sad. I went to Borneo about 12 years ago and was lucky enough to see them in the wild but even then on the short flight across the island (about 30 minutes) you could see the forest being clear for palm plantations. Seems like it's accelerated since then and it's quite surprising to hear than palm oil is in 50% of UK supermarket products. It wasn't just the orangutans which were amazing though, all the animal life there was diverse and the pygmy elephants were amazing and also under threat.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/orangutan-indonesia-endangered-p

"An area the size of a football pitch is destroyed every 25 seconds — or 146 every hour — as land is razed, figures show."

"In 16 years, 148,000 Bornean orangutans have been wiped out, and all three species are classed as critically endangered — just one step away from being extinct in the wild."

"The deforestation is also putting elephants, rhinos and tigers in serious danger, Greenpeace says, with at least two-thirds of Sumatran elephant rainforest habitat destroyed by humans, fewer than 100 Sumatran rhinos left, and only two “robust” breeding Sumatran tiger populations still alive."

Hard to blame the Malaysians and Indonesians, they are just trying to make a life for themselves. Something needs to be done though or time will run out. I fully acknowledge it's easy to say something to be done but harder to ensure something is done or even change ones own habits.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Bornean orangutans facing extinction on 09:59 - Sep 18 with 647 viewsTIB

Real sad state of affairs. I'd have expected better of companies such as Cadbury and Colgate. I've heard of palmoil but have never really looked into what its actual purpose is in products!?!

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Bornean orangutans facing extinction on 10:04 - Sep 18 with 644 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Collectively we all need to do our bit to make world a better place where animals can coexist with humans, rather than us taking all of their habitat and species going extinct one-by-one.

I'm not sure what can be done, and surely soon it will be too late, but I've always tried to be as waste-free, eco-friendly and charitable as possible, but I know even that isn't enough.
I do follow National Geographic on Instagram and they often post refreshing stories about changes that have been made to help keep numbers up. I'll post a couple of examples to this.

1) In Kenya, an elephant sanctuary has been set up to help raise and nurture baby elephants until they're ready to be released into the wild https://www.instagram.com/p/BnPQ3zFjJc4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

2) A project they also report on heavily is the African Parks Network, which has groups of rangers out protecting different areas of the continent, doing their best to ensure that areas stay as natural as possible at the benefit or both the animal who inhabit the wildlife, as well as humans who live there. https://www.instagram.com/africanparksnetwork/
Bornean orangutans facing extinction on 10:15 - Sep 18 with 627 viewsm14_blue

Stuff like this depresses me more than just about anything.

Humanity really is a scourge on this beautiful planet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024