Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One person can't make a difference but... 12:26 - Sep 18 with 14027 viewsmonytowbray

...I found out this morning 1,000 dairy farms closed over 2013-2016 because people are switching off of milk for alternatives.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36764592

I honestly believe within the next 50-100 years we'll look back as a race on the consumption of cow milk and consider how backwards it was.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:30 - Sep 18 with 5013 viewsfooters

Sorry callis, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. We all know you're a vegan and your views on dairy farming but this is something different.

These people's livelihoods have been slowly wrecked over decades because supermarkets keep driving the price of milk down (even being a loss-leader in most major shops). Although we're not responsible for that, it is a symptom of people wanting to pay the minimum for everything.

Would people be happy to pay more for milk if it meant keeping dairy farms open? I would and think most would agree. It's a shameful state and will only get worse without EU subsidies.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:30 - Sep 18 with 5005 viewsJ2BLUE

I think you'll be disappointed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:30 - Sep 18 with 5008 viewsSteve_M

It's definitely because of veganism and not because of consolidation into ever-larger farm sizes? That's been the dominant trend in UK agriculture over the last few decades.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:30 - Sep 18 with 5005 viewsWD19

In 50-100 years time the consumption of cow milk will be booming because some hipsters will have rediscovered it.
One person can't make a difference but... on 12:31 - Sep 18 with 4997 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not a mention of the alternatives there (unless I missed it). It seems to be reporting that the number of farms are decreasing because they can't stay in business when they are continually paid less than the cost of production by supermarkets. Interestingly the number of dairy cows has gone up, so presumably the mega-farms are dominating the market and driving out the little guys and gals.

We don't value our food enough. Pile it high, sell it cheap isn't good for our health at all.

Agree on your last comment. I've largely stopped drinking milk, and I do notice a difference.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:39 - Sep 18 with 4938 viewsmonytowbray

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:30 - Sep 18 by footers

Sorry callis, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. We all know you're a vegan and your views on dairy farming but this is something different.

These people's livelihoods have been slowly wrecked over decades because supermarkets keep driving the price of milk down (even being a loss-leader in most major shops). Although we're not responsible for that, it is a symptom of people wanting to pay the minimum for everything.

Would people be happy to pay more for milk if it meant keeping dairy farms open? I would and think most would agree. It's a shameful state and will only get worse without EU subsidies.

It's a factor I agree, but the dairy industry has admitted the PR milk is getting these days is a legit issue.

https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/global-dairy-bosses-vegan-activists-threat-e

I find it funnier their whole approach is "throw some more propaganda at it" rather than, you know, address the fact it's a cruel business. And they say vegans are brainwashed :)

TWTD never forgets…

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:42 - Sep 18 with 4925 viewsRyorry

It's pure economics that's driving things, and the average age of farmers is steadily rising (it's now 59) - comparatively few youngsters are getting into it to replace them, often because of economic barriers.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:42 - Sep 18 with 4917 viewsmonytowbray

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:42 - Sep 18 by Ryorry

It's pure economics that's driving things, and the average age of farmers is steadily rising (it's now 59) - comparatively few youngsters are getting into it to replace them, often because of economic barriers.

That and less people are buying milk.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/buying-and-supplying/categories/dairy/uk-milk-sales-

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:44 - Sep 18 with 4905 viewsReuser_is_God

Ooooh look at me I'm a vegan & I'm saving the planet.

No you're fcuking not.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:46 - Sep 18 with 4888 viewsRyorry

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:42 - Sep 18 by monytowbray

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/buying-and-supplying/categories/dairy/uk-milk-sales-

There's been a rise in almond and soya milks sold to meet the needs of people like myself who are allergic to dairy - something which there's about 99% more awareness and understanding of now, than when I was dragged up in the 1950s and 60s!

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:47 - Sep 18 with 4879 viewsmonytowbray

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:44 - Sep 18 by Reuser_is_God

Ooooh look at me I'm a vegan & I'm saving the planet.

No you're fcuking not.

You do know how facts and data works, right?!

TWTD never forgets…

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:50 - Sep 18 with 4855 viewsBiGDonnie

You think I'm putting anything other than cows milk in my skinny wet latte you're mistaken.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:50 - Sep 18 with 4857 viewsReuser_is_God

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:47 - Sep 18 by monytowbray

You do know how facts and data works, right?!

Farms are closing because they're being screwed by supermarkets, not because everyone is drinking their own p1ss.

Evans out

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:51 - Sep 18 with 4832 viewsfooters

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:39 - Sep 18 by monytowbray

It's a factor I agree, but the dairy industry has admitted the PR milk is getting these days is a legit issue.

https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/global-dairy-bosses-vegan-activists-threat-e

I find it funnier their whole approach is "throw some more propaganda at it" rather than, you know, address the fact it's a cruel business. And they say vegans are brainwashed :)

I'm sure there's been a decline in people drinking dairy as the popularity of veganism/non-dairy diets continues to rise and alternatives are made available. But milk is an everyday essential for most people and will be for decades to come. There are certainly ethical benefits to drinking non-dairy milks but dairy farming will continue, and while it does, those people should be paid properly and their livestock treated in the best possible manner.

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:53 - Sep 18 with 4818 viewsMattinLondon

I was wondering what to have for lunch - I now fancy a milkshake and burger.
One person can't make a difference but... on 12:53 - Sep 18 with 4819 viewsmonytowbray

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:50 - Sep 18 by Reuser_is_God

Farms are closing because they're being screwed by supermarkets, not because everyone is drinking their own p1ss.

Could always try reading the links I’ve posted.

TWTD never forgets…

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:54 - Sep 18 with 4815 viewsJ2BLUE

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:50 - Sep 18 by Reuser_is_God

Supply and demand is clearly an issue though.

You only have to look at the variety of alternative 'milks' on offer in supermarkets to see how plant milks have taken off.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:54 - Sep 18 with 4811 viewsCurlyPete

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:42 - Sep 18 by monytowbray

I don't drink milk as it gives me the guts ache, just a splash of it in my one cup of breakfast tea is my daily intake.
See also other dairy based products, for similar intestinal issues
One person can't make a difference but... on 12:54 - Sep 18 with 4812 viewsRob88

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:39 - Sep 18 by monytowbray

How is milking a cow cruel? Genuine question.

Or is the living conditions / keeping of cows that you view as cruel?
One person can't make a difference but... on 12:56 - Sep 18 with 4799 viewsfooters

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:54 - Sep 18 by Rob88

How is milking a cow cruel? Genuine question.

Or is the living conditions / keeping of cows that you view as cruel?

I believe that cows are kept in a perpetual state of pregnancy to increase yields.

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:56 - Sep 18 with 4794 viewsRyorry

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:53 - Sep 18 by MattinLondon

I was wondering what to have for lunch - I now fancy a milkshake and burger.

Ooh you little tinker! (Is it still OK to say that these days?

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:57 - Sep 18 with 4774 viewsSpruceMoose

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:30 - Sep 18 by J2BLUE

I think you'll be disappointed.

He'll probably be dead through malnutrition...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:58 - Sep 18 with 4769 viewsReuser_is_God

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:53 - Sep 18 by monytowbray

Could always try reading the links I’ve posted.

The link in your OP mention nothing of alternate milks.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 12:59]

Evans out

One person can't make a difference but... on 13:00 - Sep 18 with 4739 viewsClapham_Junction

One person can't make a difference but... on 12:30 - Sep 18 by Steve_M

It's definitely because of veganism and not because of consolidation into ever-larger farm sizes? That's been the dominant trend in UK agriculture over the last few decades.

It's because normal farmers are being outcompeted by super dairies (with thousands of cows), which are the only places that can produce milk at the price the supermarkets pay. Hence why the number of dairy cows has actually gone up but the number of farms has dropped hugely. My aunt and uncle were one of the dairies that gave up (they switched to free range chickens).

In this cnntext, the great irony in the OP being pleased about dairy farms closing is that the cows are probably being treated much worse now than they were by normal farmers: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-controversial-mega-dairies-t
One person can't make a difference but... on 13:03 - Sep 18 with 4700 viewsgiant_stow

One person can't make a difference but... on 13:00 - Sep 18 by Clapham_Junction

It's because normal farmers are being outcompeted by super dairies (with thousands of cows), which are the only places that can produce milk at the price the supermarkets pay. Hence why the number of dairy cows has actually gone up but the number of farms has dropped hugely. My aunt and uncle were one of the dairies that gave up (they switched to free range chickens).

In this cnntext, the great irony in the OP being pleased about dairy farms closing is that the cows are probably being treated much worse now than they were by normal farmers: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-controversial-mega-dairies-t

uh oh....

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024