Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... 15:44 - Sep 18 with 3716 viewsitfcjoe

....would we need to erect any others for some of our other great players?

Appreciate these legends when they are still alive, we are lucky to have so many around int he community and the football club still

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:46 - Sep 18 with 2963 viewsSteve_M

Crawford & Phillips would I think be a must.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:47 - Sep 18 with 2955 viewsSpruceMoose

Just waiting for the third manager statue...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:47 - Sep 18 with 2959 viewsSomethingBlue

Warky, without a shadow of a doubt, although hopefully a long time down the line.

I have to say I think Frimley's fountain idea, or a variant of it, has some merit here.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:47 - Sep 18 with 2953 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I don't think so.

Beat has been voted the greatest. While Wark could claim to that and players like Crawford and Phillips, Muhren and Mills are legends, there only really needs to be a monument to the greatest, not to every great player who goes on to pass away.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:48 - Sep 18 with 2955 viewsRegencyBlue

I wonder if we could create something which would incorporate all of the great players from that era?

Dont know what I have to say but where do you draw the line when you look at the list of candidates?
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:49 - Sep 18 with 2937 viewsitfcjoe

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:46 - Sep 18 by Steve_M

I'd always put Johnny Wark at the top of my pile, with due respect to Beattie.

Reading a lot about The Beat his week it appeared he could have been one of the best ever in the game but was struck down before his prime and when he did play in fleeting appearances towards the end of the 70s he was always class but just couldn't do it enough.

Whereas Warky did it, to a lower (but still extremely high) level, but for a longer period.

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:51 - Sep 18 with 2913 viewsRegencyBlue

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:46 - Sep 18 by Steve_M

Before my time but like I say above - where do you draw the line?
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:52 - Sep 18 with 2906 viewsPJH

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:48 - Sep 18 by RegencyBlue

I wonder if we could create something which would incorporate all of the great players from that era?

Dont know what I have to say but where do you draw the line when you look at the list of candidates?

But if you are doing it for that era you would also need to do it for the 1961/62 team.

Drawing the line would be a difficult and thankless task.

I know that a lot of the good and greats have their named bricks behind the Co-Op Stand.
Login to get fewer ads

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:53 - Sep 18 with 2890 viewsRegencyBlue

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:52 - Sep 18 by PJH

But if you are doing it for that era you would also need to do it for the 1961/62 team.

I know that a lot of the good and greats have their named bricks behind the Co-Op Stand.

Indeed.
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:53 - Sep 18 with 2892 viewsitfcjoe

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:47 - Sep 18 by SomethingBlue

Warky, without a shadow of a doubt, although hopefully a long time down the line.

I have to say I think Frimley's fountain idea, or a variant of it, has some merit here.

We don't have to wait for players to die before we erect a statue though....

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:53 - Sep 18 with 2878 viewsFtnfwest

you could end up with statues everywhere and don't forget we've been lucky to date in that the two we've got are actually very good ones (we haven't had a Ronaldo type monstrosity or Newcastle's dreadful Sir Bob effort). In fairness though beat is one of very few that would genuinely qualify. Fantastic as they were for instance Arnold and Frans only played 4 years each of their careers here - i think any player qualifying for 'legend' or 'statue' status would at least have had to have played the vast majority of their careers here, such as Phillips, Beat, Wark and possibly Mills. I'd almost suggest a feature wall with inset statuettes in it but maybe with a proper statue of Beat in front, perhaps within the Sir Alf Entrance somewhere?
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:54 - Sep 18 with 2868 viewsSpruceMoose

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:53 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

I look forward to rubbing the bronze curls of the Ian Marshall statue soon then.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:54 - Sep 18 with 2872 viewsbluefunk

absolutely agree with that.

Other clubs have pictures of significant players and teams around their ground (arsenal do IIRC) why not go that route,

There is more than enough space around the stands inside and out to create a display for the 1961, 1978 and 1981 teams and specific individuals
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:57 - Sep 18 with 2859 viewsLeagueOne

There should in reality be just two more statues erected if any, John Wark and George Burley for obvious reasons but having four is overkill i'd say.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 15:57]

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:59 - Sep 18 with 2843 viewsSomethingBlue

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:54 - Sep 18 by bluefunk

absolutely agree with that.

Other clubs have pictures of significant players and teams around their ground (arsenal do IIRC) why not go that route,

There is more than enough space around the stands inside and out to create a display for the 1961, 1978 and 1981 teams and specific individuals

The only thing I'd say is that Arsenal have a wide, largely sterile "Podium" area around the stadium with very little footfall except fans on matchday and people in the neighbouring apartments. There's plenty of space there for however many statues they wish to erect; rather more, in practice, than we have to play with.

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 16:00 - Sep 18 with 2827 viewsSomethingBlue

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:53 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

Yes, very fair point!

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 16:01 - Sep 18 with 2816 viewsFtnfwest

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:59 - Sep 18 by SomethingBlue

The only thing I'd say is that Arsenal have a wide, largely sterile "Podium" area around the stadium with very little footfall except fans on matchday and people in the neighbouring apartments. There's plenty of space there for however many statues they wish to erect; rather more, in practice, than we have to play with.

back of the cobbold has always been a bit dull, maybe use the panels there?
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 16:06 - Sep 18 with 2783 viewsbluefunk

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 16:01 - Sep 18 by Ftnfwest

back of the cobbold has always been a bit dull, maybe use the panels there?

Absolutely, we could use the back of each stand and particularly the Cobbold would be ideal.
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 16:19 - Sep 18 with 2724 viewsbadadski

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 16:06 - Sep 18 by bluefunk

Absolutely, we could use the back of each stand and particularly the Cobbold would be ideal.

Maybe we could try and do, some how, a Shefki in MId Swan Dive. That would be interesting. Joking aside, only have my dad to go by, but he said without a doubt the greatest player he has ever seen.
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 16:20 - Sep 18 with 2717 viewsPJH

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 16:19 - Sep 18 by badadski

Maybe we could try and do, some how, a Shefki in MId Swan Dive. That would be interesting. Joking aside, only have my dad to go by, but he said without a doubt the greatest player he has ever seen.

Your dad is right.
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 16:38 - Sep 18 with 2656 viewsThe_Major

Any statue of Drissa Diallo is likely to be more mobile than the genuine article.
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 16:44 - Sep 18 with 2631 viewshoppy

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:52 - Sep 18 by PJH

Thank you kind sir. I have got a named brick behind the Co-Op Stand.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 16:52 - Sep 18 with 2605 viewsJohnny_Boy

We should have a bronze statue of Mark Fish after his impressive debut against QPR.

I'd also like to take this moment to suggest the bronze statue would still be 100 times more mobile than the man on that fateful day at Loftus Road.
If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 17:03 - Sep 18 with 2573 viewsRadlett_blue

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 15:53 - Sep 18 by Ftnfwest

you could end up with statues everywhere and don't forget we've been lucky to date in that the two we've got are actually very good ones (we haven't had a Ronaldo type monstrosity or Newcastle's dreadful Sir Bob effort). In fairness though beat is one of very few that would genuinely qualify. Fantastic as they were for instance Arnold and Frans only played 4 years each of their careers here - i think any player qualifying for 'legend' or 'statue' status would at least have had to have played the vast majority of their careers here, such as Phillips, Beat, Wark and possibly Mills. I'd almost suggest a feature wall with inset statuettes in it but maybe with a proper statue of Beat in front, perhaps within the Sir Alf Entrance somewhere?

Why only "possibly Mills?
591 Town league appearances & 10 years as Town captain in the most successful time for the club ever.
Captained a reasonably successful England team in a World Cup finals.
However, I don't want to create a blue & white terracotta army.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

If we erect a statue of The Beat.... on 17:09 - Sep 18 with 2556 viewspatrickswell

Murals in each part of the ground celebrating prominent figures from 1878 onwards. The only worry is it will eat up the transfer budget for the next 5 seasons.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 17:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024