Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big Decision Coming Up... 22:38 - Sep 18 with 12330 viewsBinner

With Nsiala now available who will be in central defence against Bolton?

I would be loath to leave out Chambers. In our present predicament we need his leadership and experience on the pitch.

Since his arrival Pennington has done enough to retain his place.

Nsiala was playing well and looking as solid as any of our defenders before his (unlucky) suspension.

I wouldn't want Chambers to return to right back and, in any case, Donacien is showing signs of making that spot his own.

I don't think playing five across the back suits our squad so I would probably, reluctantly, leave Nsiala on the bench though I would first give it a good deal of thought.

Any other suggestions?

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:21 - Sep 19 with 3938 viewsStokieBlue

Big Decision Coming Up... on 06:44 - Sep 19 by Superfrans

Stick with it. Pennington and Chambers. No question. Changing to bring in Nsiala would be a huge error imho.

I think I disagree.

People want Hurst to show conviction, Nsiala was a key player he wanted and if he's going to show conviction in his decisions he should bring Nsiala back in.

Pennington has been ok. No more than that.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:55 - Sep 19 with 3916 viewsDeano69

Big Decision Coming Up... on 22:39 - Sep 18 by Herbivore

I'd leave Pennington out. He's no better than Nsiala defensively and he's worse on the ball. He's also not our player.

I do get the ‘he is not ours’ point, but can’t agree with the rest of it.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:58 - Sep 19 with 3911 viewsDeano69

Big Decision Coming Up... on 22:54 - Sep 18 by JoHnNnY

He’ll go........

Gerks
Chambers. Nsiala. Pennington

Donacien Skuse Chalobah. Knudsen

Edwards Nolan

Jackson

Not so sure. Correct me if I’m wrong, but he hasn’t tried Gerks and Bart on at the same time. Bart up front Saturday I reckon.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:59 - Sep 19 with 3911 viewsHerbivore

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:55 - Sep 19 by Deano69

I do get the ‘he is not ours’ point, but can’t agree with the rest of it.

Really? Nsiala has barely put a foot wrong defensively in his few games for us and he looks reasonable enough on the ball. Pennington fluffed two simple back passes within the first 10 minutes last night. He also should have prevented the first goal against Hull. Don't get me wrong, he's a good defender and a good option to have in the squad, but he's no better than Chambo or Toto and they should be our first choice pairing.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Big Decision Coming Up... on 09:04 - Sep 19 with 3900 viewsgordon

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:59 - Sep 19 by Herbivore

Really? Nsiala has barely put a foot wrong defensively in his few games for us and he looks reasonable enough on the ball. Pennington fluffed two simple back passes within the first 10 minutes last night. He also should have prevented the first goal against Hull. Don't get me wrong, he's a good defender and a good option to have in the squad, but he's no better than Chambo or Toto and they should be our first choice pairing.

Nsiala needlessly dived in against Rotherham, giving away the free kick from which they won the game, and then again needlessly dived in against Sheff Wed to get the (underserved) red card. Still agree he should go back, and should have a future at this level but def needs to adapt his game and stay on his feet more.
Big Decision Coming Up... on 09:11 - Sep 19 with 3895 viewsHerbivore

Big Decision Coming Up... on 09:04 - Sep 19 by gordon

Nsiala needlessly dived in against Rotherham, giving away the free kick from which they won the game, and then again needlessly dived in against Sheff Wed to get the (underserved) red card. Still agree he should go back, and should have a future at this level but def needs to adapt his game and stay on his feet more.

Neither challenge was even a free kick, imo, although the Rotherham one was at least debatable. You can't ask a player to not slide in just because refs are crap, there were numerous occasions that players on both sides last night 'needlessly dived in' in similar fashion to Nsiala's two challenges and free kicks weren't even given. Those kind of tackles are ten a penny.

Big Decision Coming Up... on 00:49 - Sep 20 with 3837 viewsharlingblue

Big Decision Coming Up... on 22:54 - Sep 18 by JoHnNnY

He’ll go........

Gerks
Chambers. Nsiala. Pennington

Donacien Skuse Chalobah. Knudsen

Edwards Nolan

Jackson

JoHnNnY, after watching the Brentford game of two different halves, I would be happy with this team selection, as long as it is tried out in practice sessions.
A designated corner/freekick taker, would be required, not sure who it would be amongst these players, perhaps Nolan could adapt to the 'Wagstaff/MacGilton' roll of wanting to take everything bar the goalkick?
Big Decision Coming Up... on 03:50 - Sep 20 with 3818 viewsBrixtonBlue

Big Decision Coming Up... on 07:50 - Sep 19 by Herbivore

What?! He can't pass. He makes Chambo look like Maldini. He's a good defender but his passing is shocking.

Your eyesight is shocking.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Big Decision Coming Up... on 03:55 - Sep 20 with 3817 viewsBrixtonBlue

Big Decision Coming Up... on 02:02 - Sep 19 by textbackup

why? hes a very good CB

I'm not saying he isn't, but so is Nsiala. You can't play them all at centre back and Nsiala missing out through no fault of his own would be a little harsh.

I'm only being semi-serious, just thinking of Connolly last season converting from defence to midfield.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Big Decision Coming Up... on 04:42 - Sep 20 with 3808 viewstextbackup

Big Decision Coming Up... on 03:55 - Sep 20 by BrixtonBlue

I'm not saying he isn't, but so is Nsiala. You can't play them all at centre back and Nsiala missing out through no fault of his own would be a little harsh.

I'm only being semi-serious, just thinking of Connolly last season converting from defence to midfield.

in maybe 2/3 seasons the best CM performance I saw in a blue shirt was loanee right back foley vs Nottingham forest.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:20 - Sep 20 with 3787 viewsHerbivore

Big Decision Coming Up... on 03:50 - Sep 20 by BrixtonBlue

Your eyesight is shocking.

My eyesight is shocking? He fluffed two simple back passes in the first 10 minutes alone. Carry on in your dream world if you like though. Pennington in midfield indeed.

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:34 - Sep 20 with 3779 viewsSuperfrans

There should be no choice, Pennington is playing well, he and Chambers are building a relationship, the incumbent remains in place as long as he's playing well. imho.

We should start with this on Saturday, all else being equal (injuries etc). Any variation would be crazy.

Gerks
Donacien Pennington Chambers Knudsen
Skuse Chalobah
Ward Nolan Edwards
Jackson

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:36 - Sep 20 with 3777 viewsSuperfrans

Big Decision Coming Up... on 22:48 - Sep 18 by Herbivore

He was ropey first half today. He was at fault for Hull's first goal on Saturday too. He's decent defensively generally and was good against Norwich but then Nsiala has looked good too imo, slightly better overall.

He should have gone with his left foot, not his right, but you can't blame him for the Hull goal. Downes (two) errors, or Gerks (went to ground to easily) should be first in that queue. Pennington was the only defender who read where the ball was going to get back to the line...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:39 - Sep 20 with 3772 viewsHerbivore

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:36 - Sep 20 by Superfrans

He should have gone with his left foot, not his right, but you can't blame him for the Hull goal. Downes (two) errors, or Gerks (went to ground to easily) should be first in that queue. Pennington was the only defender who read where the ball was going to get back to the line...

Ultimately he should have cleared it though, there was no real pace on the ball and you'd expect your defender to stop that going in. Agree there were errors earlier in the move too, bit harsh on Gerken though. I'd say he's definitely less at fault for that one than Pennington.

But I should add I like Pennington, he was very good against Norwich and played well on Tuesday after a shaky start. I'd just prefer Nsiala personally.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2018 8:43]

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:45 - Sep 20 with 3767 viewsitfcjoe

If everyone is fit and Hurst doesn't start the team that started the second half against Brentford then he has lost the plot

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Big Decision Coming Up... on 12:46 - Sep 20 with 3700 viewsBrixtonBlue

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:20 - Sep 20 by Herbivore

My eyesight is shocking? He fluffed two simple back passes in the first 10 minutes alone. Carry on in your dream world if you like though. Pennington in midfield indeed.

Those two back passes were his only mistakes that I recall. MOTM for me and has looked commending in every game.

on 12:49 - Sep 20 with 3695 views_

Big Decision Coming Up... on 08:20 - Sep 20 by Herbivore

If he drops Chambers then.... on 12:58 - Sep 20 with 3681 viewsBloots

...he should be sacked the moment he releases the team sheet.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

And Bart up front? (n/t) on 12:59 - Sep 20 with 3673 viewsBloots

Big Decision Coming Up... on 01:53 - Sep 19 by BrixtonBlue

Play Pennington in midfield?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

If he drops Chambers then.... on 13:02 - Sep 20 with 3670 viewsReuser_is_God

If he drops Chambers then.... on 12:58 - Sep 20 by Bloots

...he should be sacked the moment he releases the team sheet.

Absolutely zero chance he'll drop Chambers.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Big Decision Coming Up... on 13:36 - Sep 20 with 3635 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Big Decision Coming Up... on 09:04 - Sep 19 by gordon

He also dived in against Derby and gave away the freekick from which they scored.

I get the argument that all of these decisions against him have been debatable, but the bottom line is that the decisions have gone against him consistently. I think that he has to have a serious look at the way that he goes into tackles, otherwise that wont be his last red card of the season.

I would stick with Chambo and Pennington.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Big Decision Coming Up... on 16:29 - Sep 20 with 3599 viewssoclopath

Big Decision Coming Up... on 22:45 - Sep 18 by RegencyBlue

Really?

I thought he has looked pretty decent in the two home games I’ve seen.

From where I sat behind the bench I really couldn't see why Spence wasn't substituted after 30 mins.
Big Decision Coming Up... on 16:38 - Sep 20 with 3588 viewsKeaneish

Big Decision Coming Up... on 22:48 - Sep 18 by Herbivore

He was ropey first half today. He was at fault for Hull's first goal on Saturday too. He's decent defensively generally and was good against Norwich but then Nsiala has looked good too imo, slightly better overall.

It was Downes fault for the first goa for getting robbed in possession, not Pennington's for failing to scope it off the line.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Big Decision Coming Up... on 18:36 - Sep 20 with 3555 viewsHerbivore

Big Decision Coming Up... on 16:38 - Sep 20 by Keaneish

It was Downes fault for the first goa for getting robbed in possession, not Pennington's for failing to scope it off the line.

Downes making the first mistake does not excuse Pennington making a hash of stopping the ball from going in. He should have cleared it. I like how you won't accept any criticism of any of Hurst's signings, it's sweet.

Big Decision Coming Up... on 18:45 - Sep 20 with 3550 viewsCurrie10

Big Decision Coming Up... on 18:36 - Sep 20 by Herbivore

Downes making the first mistake does not excuse Pennington making a hash of stopping the ball from going in. He should have cleared it. I like how you won't accept any criticism of any of Hurst's signings, it's sweet.

Herbivore, I'm with ya. Pennington could have done more here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024