Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rommy Report - Brentford 00:19 - Sep 19 with 2899 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Next time I say I’m not gonna go, I should bloody stick to it. That’s the last two games now in a week I’ve ended up going after originally deciding I wouldn’t.

I’ll be honest - I’m pleased with the point. But not with the performance. It’s alright people saying ‘well the second half was alright’. It was. But that’s not the point. Brentford should’ve been at least 3 up by the time we equalised. They played us off the park for 65 minutes.

Let’s start with the team selection...5 more changes? Ffs. No Edwards? Ffs. Donacien playing LB? Ffs. 5 at the back with two holding midfielders? Ffs. I wasn’t pleased. It’s a very negative selection and if this was done last year, the manager gets pelters. We are playing at home ffs.

First half... Why was we letting them have so much space and time? Where is the famous ‘Hurst high pressing game’? Where was our ambition to do anything other than hooooooooooof? It was like a more chaotic but less solid version of Mick yet again.

Second half.. some changes. Necessary. Gerken made two good saves at 1-0 that basically keeps us in it. We started to make it a scrap and it worked. We equalised and that was enough in the end. Not a lot to it but it was alright from Town at the end.

Is that good enough though? The equaliser paces over quite a few cracks that have shown again tonight both on the pitch and with Hursts selection.

A quick word on Brentford.. I thought they were very impressive. Brogs asked me at halftime what my bet was again for them for the title. ‘£20 at 14/1’. I personally think they will go very close this season and tonight has done nothing to change that view. The linkup play between their midfield and strike force first half was levels above anything we’ve done this season.

No hotdog tonight as I thought I’d get a chinese on the way in. Unfortunately the poxy trains were delayed so it’s now shut. So I’m cooking.

One final thing I’ll say is that it’s interesting to hear rumours already about Evans getting the ump with Hurst for treatment of players off the pitch. I did wonder if his treatment of Bart, comments on Knudsen/Chambo would go down well to the squad.

Another game without a win is of course a worry. Will we ever win again...

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Rommy Report - Brentford on 00:30 - Sep 19 with 2822 viewstextbackup

"played us off the park for 65 minutes"

had that multiple times in the last 3 years, but you weren't fussed then...

agree on the rest tho

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Rommy Report - Brentford on 00:53 - Sep 19 with 2775 viewspointofblue

Rommy Report - Brentford on 00:30 - Sep 19 by textbackup

"played us off the park for 65 minutes"

had that multiple times in the last 3 years, but you weren't fussed then...

agree on the rest tho

I wouldn’t say they played us off the park for 65 minutes anyway - we started the second half much sharper and brighter. Indeed it reminded me of the Norwich match with the 20 minute spell after half time; we were just starting to trail off when we scored this time and the game was pretty even from that point onwards.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:06 - Sep 19 with 2764 viewsBrixtonBlue

I know you like Brentford, but they played us off the park for 45 minutes not 65. We were the better team second half IMO and should've really won.

Playing like that 2nd half we'll be fine, albeit I still have doubts about the strikers.

No idea what he was playing at first half.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:25 - Sep 19 with 2732 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:06 - Sep 19 by BrixtonBlue

I know you like Brentford, but they played us off the park for 45 minutes not 65. We were the better team second half IMO and should've really won.

Playing like that 2nd half we'll be fine, albeit I still have doubts about the strikers.

No idea what he was playing at first half.

We should’ve won? What game were you watching?

First half they tore us to shreds.

Second half, at 1-0, Gerken saves two 1 on 1s which would’ve killed us off.

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:29 - Sep 19 with 2727 viewsSpruceMoose

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:25 - Sep 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Watching on ifollow I thought we were better in the second half, but Brentford should have had us dead and buried in the first half, and they had the chance to finish the job in the second and didnt it.

Pleased for Jackson, took his goal really well and hopefully that'll give him some confidence to really get going now.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:29 - Sep 19 with 2720 viewstextbackup

so gerken does his job then.

if jackson scores his one on one, we win

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:34 - Sep 19 with 2704 viewsBrixtonBlue

I was watching the game where we turned things around 2nd half. So what if Gerken made a couple of saves? That's his job. We also hit the bar, had a scramble cleared, had an effort almost go along the goal line, the Knudsen shot at the near post, Jackson fluffed when clean through...

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:35 - Sep 19 with 2700 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:29 - Sep 19 by textbackup

That’s a very simplistic way of looking at it Texters.

If I said the same as you just have in a game last season after we’ve been dominated, I’m sure you’d think differently.

Whatever way you want to look at it, Gerken has made a fair few decent saves for us tonight whereas the Brentford keeper was rarely tested.

Login to get fewer ads

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:37 - Sep 19 with 2692 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:34 - Sep 19 by BrixtonBlue

I was watching the game where we turned things around 2nd half. So what if Gerken made a couple of saves? That's his job. We also hit the bar, had a scramble cleared, had an effort almost go along the goal line, the Knudsen shot at the near post, Jackson fluffed when clean through...

If you genuinely think we looked as likely to score as Brentford did tonight, fair enough.

For me, we were outclassed and they looked levels above us. I hope it’s because Brentford are very good and not that we are very bad. I fear it’s a combination of both though.

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:46 - Sep 19 with 2666 viewsBrixtonBlue

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:37 - Sep 19 by The_Romford_Blue

If you genuinely think we looked as likely to score as Brentford did tonight, fair enough.

For me, we were outclassed and they looked levels above us. I hope it’s because Brentford are very good and not that we are very bad. I fear it’s a combination of both though.

It was a game of two halves. First half we were set up all wrong and they did outclass us. Second half was a different kettle of fish and we matched them for most and were better for bits.

I think the horror of the first half affected your brain and tarnished the reality of the second.

Rommy Report - Brentford on 03:17 - Sep 19 with 2602 viewshorsehollerer

"That's not the point. Brentford should've been at least 3 up"

Sorry, but I don't think that's the point either. Town probably should've won 4 of the first 6 league games. We didn't. And Brentford, as good as they were, couldn't beat the bottom-placed team tonight, even after we gave them a 45 min head start — in fact, Jackson "should've" won it for us at at the end. Football, eh?

Always appreciate your reports. I think we're gonna unload on Bolton. COYB.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Rommy Report - Brentford on 05:30 - Sep 19 with 2512 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Rommy Report - Brentford on 03:17 - Sep 19 by horsehollerer

"That's not the point. Brentford should've been at least 3 up"

Sorry, but I don't think that's the point either. Town probably should've won 4 of the first 6 league games. We didn't. And Brentford, as good as they were, couldn't beat the bottom-placed team tonight, even after we gave them a 45 min head start — in fact, Jackson "should've" won it for us at at the end. Football, eh?

Always appreciate your reports. I think we're gonna unload on Bolton. COYB.

Can I just ask, what were these 4 league games from the first 6 we should’ve won?

Of the 8 games so far, for me:
Blackburn - Draw was fair. No way did we deserve to win.
Rotherham - I didn’t go. General consensus was a draw would’ve been fair.
Villa - Draw was fair.
Derby - We were terrible. Showed no intent. Derby deserved winners.
Sheffield Wednesday - I didn’t go. General consensus was that a draw would’ve been fair.
Norwich - Draw was fair. We perhaps shaded it second half but 1-1 was about right imo.
Hull - Compeltely destroyed from start to finish. Deserved to lose by more than just 2.
Brentford - Brentford were clearly the better side.

That’s my thoughts anyway. So there we go. In fact, I might make that point into a separate thread.

Rommy Report - Brentford on 06:00 - Sep 19 with 2480 viewsJohnny_Boy

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:35 - Sep 19 by The_Romford_Blue

That’s a very simplistic way of looking at it Texters.

If I said the same as you just have in a game last season after we’ve been dominated, I’m sure you’d think differently.

Whatever way you want to look at it, Gerken has made a fair few decent saves for us tonight whereas the Brentford keeper was rarely tested.

What I will say is, it was fascinating to see the level of time-wasting from Brentford, starting around the 80th minute mark. They were happy for a point. Make no mistake about that. The final 3mins of injury time could have seen Jackson win the match for us.....and we had 2 corners which we should have capitalised on.

First half was mediocre - but, it was nowhere near as bad as the full 90mins versus Hull. So, a bit of context to last night. We had possession, we had shots on target, we could actually pass the ball to a team-mate, we were winning the 2nd ball & there was actually a bit of cohesion.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2018 6:04]
Rommy Report - Brentford on 06:51 - Sep 19 with 2357 viewsITFC_Forever

You say we were alright in the second half, but Brentford played us off the park for the first 65 minutes. Doesn’t even make sense.... he first half was 45+1 minutes long.

And you missed out your customary blub about ME.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Rommy Report - Brentford on 06:54 - Sep 19 with 2334 viewsm14_blue

Always like your reports Rommy but I do think there's a bit of confirmation bias in your view of Brentford.

They were impressive in the first half but never really turned the screw against a desperately poor Town side who were all over the place and there for the taking.

Second half they were on the back foot right from the restart and although they created a couple of good chances on the break there's no way they dominated the first 65 minutes. They were happy enough with the draw in the end.

Imagine they'll be on the fringes of the play offs but they were absolutely nowhere near the level of Wolves or Fulham from last season.

Agree with everything you say about us.
Rommy Report - Brentford on 07:05 - Sep 19 with 2306 viewsBenters2

My money is on Leeds
Rommy Report - Brentford on 07:16 - Sep 19 with 2273 viewsBenters2

Rommy Report - Brentford on 01:29 - Sep 19 by textbackup

I make you right.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024