Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stop fiddling, stick with the plan 06:34 - Sep 19 with 791 viewsSuperfrans

Awful first half. A continuation of Hull on Saturday when we set up wrong and offered very little. The difference last night was that Brentford are very very good.

They had technically excellent players, who all knew their roles in the team and where their teammates would be. It’s what we aspire to be. Sometimes, as fans, we fail to recognise the quality of the team we’re playing. First half, that’s the best performance by any team at Portman Road for many years imho.

That said, we started with a strange mess of a line-up - no Edwards or Nolan to help us retain the ball, Donacien out of position, Harrison AND Jackson, so much departed from the Hurst plan. Bizarre. Again.

I came away unsure how we could begin to get a foothold. Whatever Hurst was likely to do at half time, we simply don’t have a team who are as familiar with the system and each other to work like that. And given the odd selection choices Hurst was making, I didn’t have much faith in his ability to make the right decisions.

But massive credit, we came out after the break and (at times) outplayed a team who will I’m sure get promotion this season. How? Put on your best players, in the right positions, in a system they understand. Simple, right?

Nolan had his best game for us last night, Donacien an improvement on Spence in his best position at left back, Ward possibly our man of the match and Jackson is our man most likely to at number 9, getting the goal he deserved. Edwards was quiet, but gave us some balance. Had we had a fully firing Gwion as counterpoint to Ward, we might have won last night.

After the Hull game I thought we should stick with the same team for last night, with Chalobah just in to replace Downes. Today, I’m feeling that the team we finished with today, but Chalobah in for Downes again, has to be our starting lineup on Saturday.

We have many decent players, with good technique, but we need to give them chance to play in the system they understand, to build partnerships and gel as a team.

Hurst needs to have the courage of his convictions and stick with his plan, his system and his best players. If he does, we have a chance. If he doesn’t, and throws it all up in the air again, this won’t end prettily.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Stop fiddling, stick with the plan on 06:58 - Sep 19 with 749 viewsFtnfwest

Spot on SF. We've already changed almost an entire side twice in the first couple of games (out of necessity) but have to get some consistency to things now to give them a chance to gel. One or two changes fine but try to keep it to that and at least not play people out of position
Stop fiddling, stick with the plan on 07:00 - Sep 19 with 741 viewsReuser_is_God

Totally agree.

Do that & we’ll get those wins we need, no doubt in my mind whatsoever about that.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Stop fiddling, stick with the plan on 07:04 - Sep 19 with 726 viewsCurrie10

Stop fiddling, stick with the plan on 07:00 - Sep 19 by Reuser_is_God

Totally agree.

Do that & we’ll get those wins we need, no doubt in my mind whatsoever about that.

We simply HAVE to beat Bolton Saturday. Nothing else to it.
Stop fiddling, stick with the plan on 07:06 - Sep 19 with 713 viewsReuser_is_God

Stop fiddling, stick with the plan on 07:04 - Sep 19 by Currie10

We simply HAVE to beat Bolton Saturday. Nothing else to it.

Indeed.

I said we needed to come out of these 2 games with 4 points & a settled side.

We’ve got one point & a settled side (if Hurst sticks with it!) let’s go & get 3 points Saturday.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Stop fiddling, stick with the plan on 07:21 - Sep 19 with 684 viewschristiand

A good post Superfrans. It can't be easy for the players and very unsettling with the constant chopping and changing of personnel and formation.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Stop fiddling, stick with the plan on 07:29 - Sep 19 with 661 viewsCurrie10

Stop fiddling, stick with the plan on 07:06 - Sep 19 by Reuser_is_God

Indeed.

I said we needed to come out of these 2 games with 4 points & a settled side.

We’ve got one point & a settled side (if Hurst sticks with it!) let’s go & get 3 points Saturday.

It does give us a chance to build so lets be positive and see what we can do Saturday.

What does poor Edun have to do to get a minute?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024