Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. 09:26 - Sep 19 with 7349 viewsCoco

Both from the club and fans imo. “Our greatest EVER player”
[Post edited 19 Sep 2018 9:26]

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 13:43 - Sep 19 with 2760 viewsSuperfrans

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 11:55 - Sep 19 by farkenhell

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more about this.

Back in the 70s, I recall my Dad having a conversation with a lady who was well-connected with the Club's supporters association (Dad was a committee member of our local branch at the time). The lady quite candidly remarked that Beattie and Hunter were the only players who were genuinely interested in taking part in community events, which they both did regularly (slightly off topic, she added that most of the other players were more interested in squandering significant sums of money at the Newmarket races).

Over the past few days, there have been a plethora of posts on this forum from people eulogizing about the Beat's willingness to pass the time of day with them. After playing, he chose to continue to live in Suffolk. He clearly loved the Town, its people and our football club. He continued to become involved in umpteen ITFC events.

You mentioned ambassadors. In my opinion, I could not think of a more appropriate or fitting ambassador for this club. He is, or sadly was, right up there with Robson in this respect.

A friend mentioned a little nugget to me yesterday. This friend is also a friend of David Busst, the Coventry player who suffered a terrible leg break a few years back. Busst had never met Beattie, didn't know him from Adam, but after his injury, he received a letter from the Beat, wishing him a speedy recovery, telling him that there is like after injury and generally to keep his pecker up. They stayed in touch ever since.

Class act.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 13:53 - Sep 19 with 2746 views3_5_2

Thought the club did well given the short period they had to sort things.

I want going to go but did because of the Beat and I'm glad I did.

Less than 15,000 was disappointing but there you have it. If we had been winning a few, there would be more there naturally I guess

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 14:00 - Sep 19 with 2740 viewsWeWereZombies

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 11:59 - Sep 19 by itfctim

It's not, in my opinion, a criticism of what the club did or didn't do, it is the fact that every empty seat (1000's!!) was an insult to the memory of our arguably greatest ever player. The empty seats were predominately in areas where supporters(?) are generally of an age to have seen the man at his best, and to fail to attend en-masse is poor at best, insulting at worst.

I saw Beattie play many times and I didn't go last night although I was considering the 1400 mile round trip on Monday. But the club today is not what it was forty years ago, despite the efforts of quite a few there. And not all of that is the fault of a confused owner, Evans is just another cog in the rotten machine that is the set up that English (and a bit of Welsh too) football had become since the instigation of the Premier League.

I made a decision once Tragic Vegas became shirt sponsors that I wouldn't go to games if a betting company was sullying the shirt of our once great team and I think I have to stick to that principle (I guess I should stop using TWTD, given the undue influence gambling has upon this site, too but consider me part of the resistance operating behind enemy lines).

I do not think I am alone in this stance but many more of those empty seats are due to people who have found other sport just a whole lot better to watch. Am I dreaming it or did Beattie himself say not so long ago that these days the rugby is where you go if you want to experience the feel of football in the seventies?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 14:02 - Sep 19 with 2737 viewsfarkenhell

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 13:43 - Sep 19 by Superfrans

A friend mentioned a little nugget to me yesterday. This friend is also a friend of David Busst, the Coventry player who suffered a terrible leg break a few years back. Busst had never met Beattie, didn't know him from Adam, but after his injury, he received a letter from the Beat, wishing him a speedy recovery, telling him that there is like after injury and generally to keep his pecker up. They stayed in touch ever since.

Class act.

Terrible incident - blood on the pitch and Schmeichel in goal in absolute anguish. Also seeing a photo of the break in the newspaper the next day and feeling physically sick.

That was typically class of Beattie, as you say.
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 14:10 - Sep 19 with 2727 viewsBluebell

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:44 - Sep 19 by ITFC_Forever

News broke of his passing on Sunday afternoon, little more than 48 hours before the game.

The club re-wrote the programme and its design, invited Beat's family, including two of them to be the Community Champions (which would have displaced whoever the club had lined up originally) and had a very good turnout of ex-players on the pitch before the game and at half-time.
The flags were at half-mast and there was a minute's applause.

What more did you want the club to do?

Who made the banner that was held up in Section 5 of the North Stand saying "KEVIN BEATTIE ITFC LEGEND' (I think that is what it said because I was behind it and reading backwards!)

It was brilliant. Anyone have a pic of it?
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 14:27 - Sep 19 with 2700 viewsBlue_Order

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:32 - Sep 19 by monytowbray

I really don't understand the weird "He's looking down on us to help with the result" stuff RS pushed last night, nor that narrative for anything really.

Dead people are dead, they do not have some kind of mysterious power from beyond the grave to watch the game or influence it.

The greatest day I had with my mother watching Town was the playoff final. The first game after she died was against Barnsley on the opening day of 16/17. I told my sister that morning that I was certain we’d win 4-2 again.

Grant Ward took the match ball home that day, but in reality, it should have been booted up into heaven for my old dear.
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:22 - Sep 19 with 2663 viewsPJH

There are seven members of our 1961/62 now in heaven and now that The Beat is there he makes up the other four needed for a team
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:25 - Sep 19 with 2655 viewsitfctim

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 10:00 - Sep 19 by noggin

Beattie grew up in poverty, with an alcoholic father and eight siblings, on a rough council estate. The fact that he struggled as an adult should not invite criticism from people who knew nothing of what his life experiences were. He admitted his weaknesses and stayed loyal to Ipswich. He loved the club, the town and the fans. For that alone, yes he should be given huge respect and admiration after his passing. That and the fact that the fans, past players and SBR himself, consider him the best player we have ever had, makes him a legend in my eyes. RIP KB.

Amen to that. Wholeheartedly agree, and every empty seat last night was a show of disrespect to him.
Login to get fewer ads

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:27 - Sep 19 with 2651 viewsSpruceMoose

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 10:00 - Sep 19 by noggin

Beattie grew up in poverty, with an alcoholic father and eight siblings, on a rough council estate. The fact that he struggled as an adult should not invite criticism from people who knew nothing of what his life experiences were. He admitted his weaknesses and stayed loyal to Ipswich. He loved the club, the town and the fans. For that alone, yes he should be given huge respect and admiration after his passing. That and the fact that the fans, past players and SBR himself, consider him the best player we have ever had, makes him a legend in my eyes. RIP KB.

"The fact that he struggled as an adult should not invite criticism from people who knew nothing of what his life experiences were. "

Agree 100%. I also think this courtesy should be extended to everyone we meet in life.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:34 - Sep 19 with 2639 viewsitfctim

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 13:53 - Sep 19 by 3_5_2

Thought the club did well given the short period they had to sort things.

I want going to go but did because of the Beat and I'm glad I did.

Less than 15,000 was disappointing but there you have it. If we had been winning a few, there would be more there naturally I guess

There should have been more there purely to show their respects to him, regardless of how the current team are performing, or who the opponents were, or the weather, or prior commitments, or it's a school night, or whatever other pathetic excuses were made to not attend. It was a shocking show of disrespect and apathy.
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:35 - Sep 19 with 2633 viewsSpruceMoose

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:34 - Sep 19 by itfctim

There should have been more there purely to show their respects to him, regardless of how the current team are performing, or who the opponents were, or the weather, or prior commitments, or it's a school night, or whatever other pathetic excuses were made to not attend. It was a shocking show of disrespect and apathy.

Maybe you could arrange some kind of service, with a decent amount of notice, which would be free to attend, if it bothers you so much?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:39 - Sep 19 with 2623 viewsnoggin

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:34 - Sep 19 by itfctim

Seriously, how is not attending "disrespectful"? I'm pretty sure everyone who remembers KB has had him in their thoughts this week.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:44 - Sep 19 with 2614 viewsSomethingBlue

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 14:00 - Sep 19 by WeWereZombies

I saw Beattie play many times and I didn't go last night although I was considering the 1400 mile round trip on Monday. But the club today is not what it was forty years ago, despite the efforts of quite a few there. And not all of that is the fault of a confused owner, Evans is just another cog in the rotten machine that is the set up that English (and a bit of Welsh too) football had become since the instigation of the Premier League.

I made a decision once Tragic Vegas became shirt sponsors that I wouldn't go to games if a betting company was sullying the shirt of our once great team and I think I have to stick to that principle (I guess I should stop using TWTD, given the undue influence gambling has upon this site, too but consider me part of the resistance operating behind enemy lines).

I do not think I am alone in this stance but many more of those empty seats are due to people who have found other sport just a whole lot better to watch. Am I dreaming it or did Beattie himself say not so long ago that these days the rugby is where you go if you want to experience the feel of football in the seventies?

Nah, nobody gives a sh7t about rugby. The Champions League was on though, tbf.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:57 - Sep 19 with 2584 viewsEireannach_gorm

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:40 - Sep 19 by sotd78

At the risk of getting shot and bearing in mind I saw most of the games Beattie played we did a reasonable job in a short time frame as a club and fans. A programme; past players, tributes, applause, family invited, players all caring.

Before we make Beattie out to be a saint there are and were better ambassadors for football in our club and elsewhere. Beattie himself was first to acknowledge his flaws and failings - and to some extent some of his absences from our team at times were self-inflicted (the apocryphal bonfire incident?).

Go read about Neville Southall who began his career as a binman - see what he is now involved in....we need to recognise our legends, acknowledge our heroes but also to place them correctly in the pantheon of greatness on all levels.

Let's not put Beattie on quite the same level as Sir Bobby, for example.

You are wrong on so many levels that I am surprised how few down votes you have got.
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 16:00 - Sep 19 with 2583 viewsPJH

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:57 - Sep 19 by Eireannach_gorm

You are wrong on so many levels that I am surprised how few down votes you have got.

I thought it would be a bit disrespectful to The Beat if I bothered to downvote it.
The post was very wrong but there you go.
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 16:32 - Sep 19 with 2562 viewsshamboy

I thought the same, but it was a low key game. Had it happened before the derby it would have been very different.

The point about Beattie is that his vulnerability helped to make him genuinely lovable. If it was, say Mick Mills, it would be just as sad, but less emotional.

People of my age have their own memories of Beattie through the years. In my case, from a young starlet easing his way through to the toilets one darts night in the Blooming Fushia' say 'I'm breakin' me neck, breakin' it', seeing him snap John Ritchie's leg in a typically fair but thunderous tackle, through the wonder years and the heartbreak of injury, seeing him swimming in the Willis Faber swimming pool during rehab, treading water, heading a ball to Alan Brazil using the superhuman strength in his neck. Through to cadging a rollie from him on the touchline up at Rushmere one Sunday morning.

I was thinking of the ypung girl leadng the team out last night, not of Beats. His story has been written, and written well thanks to the wonder of him.
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 16:40 - Sep 19 with 2556 viewsLeagueOne

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 13:34 - Sep 19 by itfctim

A shallow reality check, right there.

Honestly how many players just pass through our ranks these days without contributing much, or staying beyond the season. The connection is not the same.

One thing Mick should be credited with is having an established side and mainstays, something we lacked since Magic. Bart, Gerks, Skuse, Berra, Smith, Chambo, Skuse, Murphy, Didz, Hyam, Bish, Sears - you knew that it was Ipswich at least.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 16:59 - Sep 19 with 2536 viewsWeWereZombies

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:44 - Sep 19 by SomethingBlue

Nah, nobody gives a sh7t about rugby. The Champions League was on though, tbf.

Complacent, I heard that one Saturday afternoon last season when Town were at home there were still a thousand up at the rugby club. Mind you there was nothing to pay on the gate to get in. There again, Ipswich Rugby Club are a fair way down the rugby ladder.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 08:42 - Sep 20 with 2429 viewsitfctim

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 15:35 - Sep 19 by SpruceMoose

Maybe you could arrange some kind of service, with a decent amount of notice, which would be free to attend, if it bothers you so much?

Expected some comment along those lines from a moron like you. You never fail to disappoint with your pathetic comments.
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 20:04 - Sep 20 with 2373 viewsMJR101

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 11:59 - Sep 19 by itfctim

It's not, in my opinion, a criticism of what the club did or didn't do, it is the fact that every empty seat (1000's!!) was an insult to the memory of our arguably greatest ever player. The empty seats were predominately in areas where supporters(?) are generally of an age to have seen the man at his best, and to fail to attend en-masse is poor at best, insulting at worst.

This.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024