Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. 09:26 - Sep 19 with 7316 viewsCoco

Both from the club and fans imo. “Our greatest EVER player”
[Post edited 19 Sep 2018 9:26]

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Last night was not enough fro Kevin Beattie. on 09:27 - Sep 19 with 4555 viewsGlebeTractor

I think a point against a team 2nd in the table, is a good result.

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:28 - Sep 19 with 4536 viewsclive_baker

Forget about that. The vast majority of this squad aren't worthy of being spoken about in the same breath as the Beat.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:30 - Sep 19 with 4511 viewsGuthrum

Unfortunately, fairy-tale endings are not often reflected in reality.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:40 - Sep 19 with 4466 viewssotd78

At the risk of getting shot and bearing in mind I saw most of the games Beattie played we did a reasonable job in a short time frame as a club and fans. A programme; past players, tributes, applause, family invited, players all caring.

Before we make Beattie out to be a saint there are and were better ambassadors for football in our club and elsewhere. Beattie himself was first to acknowledge his flaws and failings - and to some extent some of his absences from our team at times were self-inflicted (the apocryphal bonfire incident?).

Go read about Neville Southall who began his career as a binman - see what he is now involved in....we need to recognise our legends, acknowledge our heroes but also to place them correctly in the pantheon of greatness on all levels.

Let's not put Beattie on quite the same level as Sir Bobby, for example.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:44 - Sep 19 with 4442 viewsITFC_Forever

News broke of his passing on Sunday afternoon, little more than 48 hours before the game.

The club re-wrote the programme and its design, invited Beat's family, including two of them to be the Community Champions (which would have displaced whoever the club had lined up originally) and had a very good turnout of ex-players on the pitch before the game and at half-time.
The flags were at half-mast and there was a minute's applause.

What more did you want the club to do?

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:46 - Sep 19 with 4410 viewsLankHenners

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:44 - Sep 19 by ITFC_Forever

News broke of his passing on Sunday afternoon, little more than 48 hours before the game.

The club re-wrote the programme and its design, invited Beat's family, including two of them to be the Community Champions (which would have displaced whoever the club had lined up originally) and had a very good turnout of ex-players on the pitch before the game and at half-time.

Agree, although one thing they could have done is print more than about 12 programmes.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:49 - Sep 19 with 4380 viewsGuthrum

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:46 - Sep 19 by LankHenners

Agree, although one thing they could have done is print more than about 12 programmes.

Printing and binding takes time, too. 48 hours is very tight for a complete redesign and production run.

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:51 - Sep 19 with 4360 viewsrayman_10

Not to mention the applause in the 6th minute and chants of ‘one Kevin Beattie’. Also talk of a statue or re-naming something around PR in his honour.

Like you say, considering his passing was such a shock and the short period of time before the game, I don’t think you can fault the club for the efforts of remembering a true legend of the club.

Also it wasn’t just the game Tuesday... he will NEVER be forgotten. That’s surely the most important gesture of them all?

COYB

Login to get fewer ads

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:55 - Sep 19 with 4340 viewsHeathlander

As others have said the Club did a lot in a really short timescale. The programme especially must have taken some late nights.

But I do agree that he should have a permanent memorial. Something like naming Legends the Kevin Beattie bar. Ted Phillips was another Town legend who most of the Town fans today would not have seen or really known about. He is up there in terms of status. So Ted should have some recognition too. Where do you stop? But naming a bar after him would be an easy and quick thing to do.

Heathy
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 10:00 - Sep 19 with 4311 viewsnoggin

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:40 - Sep 19 by sotd78

At the risk of getting shot and bearing in mind I saw most of the games Beattie played we did a reasonable job in a short time frame as a club and fans. A programme; past players, tributes, applause, family invited, players all caring.

Before we make Beattie out to be a saint there are and were better ambassadors for football in our club and elsewhere. Beattie himself was first to acknowledge his flaws and failings - and to some extent some of his absences from our team at times were self-inflicted (the apocryphal bonfire incident?).

Go read about Neville Southall who began his career as a binman - see what he is now involved in....we need to recognise our legends, acknowledge our heroes but also to place them correctly in the pantheon of greatness on all levels.

Beattie grew up in poverty, with an alcoholic father and eight siblings, on a rough council estate. The fact that he struggled as an adult should not invite criticism from people who knew nothing of what his life experiences were. He admitted his weaknesses and stayed loyal to Ipswich. He loved the club, the town and the fans. For that alone, yes he should be given huge respect and admiration after his passing. That and the fact that the fans, past players and SBR himself, consider him the best player we have ever had, makes him a legend in my eyes. RIP KB.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 11:10 - Sep 19 with 4153 viewsBluearmy71

He is considered the best ever player for what he did on the pitch, not what he did off of it, try looking at the player he was rather than the human he was!
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 11:55 - Sep 19 with 4052 viewsfarkenhell

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more about this.

Back in the 70s, I recall my Dad having a conversation with a lady who was well-connected with the Club's supporters association (Dad was a committee member of our local branch at the time). The lady quite candidly remarked that Beattie and Hunter were the only players who were genuinely interested in taking part in community events, which they both did regularly (slightly off topic, she added that most of the other players were more interested in squandering significant sums of money at the Newmarket races).

Over the past few days, there have been a plethora of posts on this forum from people eulogizing about the Beat's willingness to pass the time of day with them. After playing, he chose to continue to live in Suffolk. He clearly loved the Town, its people and our football club. He continued to become involved in umpteen ITFC events.

You mentioned ambassadors. In my opinion, I could not think of a more appropriate or fitting ambassador for this club. He is, or sadly was, right up there with Robson in this respect.
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 11:58 - Sep 19 with 4033 viewsSuperfrans

I'm disappointed they hadn't erected a statue by last night, to be honest.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 11:59 - Sep 19 with 4029 viewsitfctim

It's not, in my opinion, a criticism of what the club did or didn't do, it is the fact that every empty seat (1000's!!) was an insult to the memory of our arguably greatest ever player. The empty seats were predominately in areas where supporters(?) are generally of an age to have seen the man at his best, and to fail to attend en-masse is poor at best, insulting at worst.
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:00 - Sep 19 with 4017 viewsSuperfrans

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 09:49 - Sep 19 by Guthrum

Printing and binding takes time, too. 48 hours is very tight for a complete redesign and production run.

Print run would have been worked out well before Monday too - plus, of course, there were only 14,000 people there last night. I'm sure they would have printed enough for a crowd of that size, but I saw several people coming away with 2/3 copies.

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:13 - Sep 19 with 3945 viewsGuthrum

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:00 - Sep 19 by Superfrans

Print run would have been worked out well before Monday too - plus, of course, there were only 14,000 people there last night. I'm sure they would have printed enough for a crowd of that size, but I saw several people coming away with 2/3 copies.

Print run would have been organised, but having to write articles, create new proofs, getting them checked and sent to the printer would have eaten into that timescale.

Plus, as you say, people buying multiple copies.

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:32 - Sep 19 with 3883 viewsmonytowbray

I really don't understand the weird "He's looking down on us to help with the result" stuff RS pushed last night, nor that narrative for anything really.

Dead people are dead, they do not have some kind of mysterious power from beyond the grave to watch the game or influence it.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:33 - Sep 19 with 3868 viewsReuser_is_God

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:32 - Sep 19 by monytowbray

I really don't understand the weird "He's looking down on us to help with the result" stuff RS pushed last night, nor that narrative for anything really.

Dead people are dead, they do not have some kind of mysterious power from beyond the grave to watch the game or influence it.

You recovered from me absolutely ruining you yesterday buh?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:34 - Sep 19 with 3859 viewsFrimleyBlue

Wow you're a cheery one

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:43 - Sep 19 with 3801 viewsSuperfrans

It's yer symbolism, innit. Yer inspiration.

To be honest, as a manager, you might look to use the performances of predecessors to inspire your players. But in a lot of ways, it can't help a team that's at the bottom of the Championship and being totally outplayed at home, when we've all been watching clips of one of our greatest ever players over the past few days.

For instance, there was a moment in the first half, when Chambers latched onto a free ball just inside their half, with one of their players ahead of him and was immediately dispossessed - and a voice in the back of my head just thought, "Beattie would have stormed through the middle of their midfield / defence and just smashed that."

Sadly, we don't have some of the best players in the world playing for us any more.

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:46 - Sep 19 with 3780 viewsmonytowbray

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:33 - Sep 19 by Reuser_is_God

You recovered from me absolutely ruining you yesterday buh?

I'll give you the London comment, that one was alright.

Your contribution to the milk thread was pretty gash though. Clicking those links was enough to prove you were talking rubbish.

TWTD never forgets…

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:47 - Sep 19 with 3774 viewsmonytowbray

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:34 - Sep 19 by FrimleyBlue

Wow you're a cheery one

Someone died, am I supposed to be cheerful about that?!

TWTD never forgets…

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:48 - Sep 19 with 3767 viewsLeagueOne

Let's be honest i'd say aside from a few of the players who have been here a while, most of those player wouldn't know who Beattie was let alone put a performance in for him. It's modern football and half of these players won't even be here next season.I hate it but thats how it is.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:59 - Sep 19 with 3718 viewsHennikerBlu

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 11:55 - Sep 19 by farkenhell

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more about this.

Back in the 70s, I recall my Dad having a conversation with a lady who was well-connected with the Club's supporters association (Dad was a committee member of our local branch at the time). The lady quite candidly remarked that Beattie and Hunter were the only players who were genuinely interested in taking part in community events, which they both did regularly (slightly off topic, she added that most of the other players were more interested in squandering significant sums of money at the Newmarket races).

Over the past few days, there have been a plethora of posts on this forum from people eulogizing about the Beat's willingness to pass the time of day with them. After playing, he chose to continue to live in Suffolk. He clearly loved the Town, its people and our football club. He continued to become involved in umpteen ITFC events.

You mentioned ambassadors. In my opinion, I could not think of a more appropriate or fitting ambassador for this club. He is, or sadly was, right up there with Robson in this respect.

Totally agree, we all have flaws, he was not afraid to admit them. It is not an exaggeration when people say he would always have time to chat and sign autographs, to the ordinary fan he was a superb ambassador.

In spite of a difficult upbringing he regularly sent money home to his family. It would have been easy and perhaps justified to disconnect, but he did not take the easy option and remained a good son.

Kevin Beattie: Born in Carlisle, made in Ipswich
Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 13:34 - Sep 19 with 3605 viewsitfctim

Last night was not enough for Kevin Beattie. on 12:48 - Sep 19 by LeagueOne

Let's be honest i'd say aside from a few of the players who have been here a while, most of those player wouldn't know who Beattie was let alone put a performance in for him. It's modern football and half of these players won't even be here next season.I hate it but thats how it is.

A shallow reality check, right there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024