Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lightbulb moment for Hurst. 14:22 - Sep 19 with 3683 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Think it will be a lightbulb moment for Hurst. Think the 4-2-3-1 formation and performance will solve his selection problems he’s been having.
Spences long term future was solved last night.

Have a number 9 to lead the line deservedly for the foreseeable future.

The 3 in bebind. Edwards/Nolan/Ward offered much more support to the number 9. That formation means the number 9 won’t be isolated.

Chalobah/Skuse could form a good anchoring pair.

Back four should settle with what we finished with.

Gerken is taking his chance.

Team for Bolton should be the one we finished with.!!

COYB. If Hurst sticks with this philosophy I will be very very happy.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 14:26 - Sep 19 with 3268 viewsSpruceMoose

"Spences long term future was solved last night."

By this you mean he's been justifiably dispatched to non-league football?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 14:27 - Sep 19 with 3266 viewsITFC_Forever

The team we finished with had Downes on the pitch and Trev on the bench.... looked like he had taken a knock, as he was holding a bag of ice at the end of the game.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 14:31 - Sep 19 with 3230 viewsLankHenners

Shouldn't really be a lightbulb moment considering it's the formation he came in to play and has panicked and faffed around and changed it all up.

Hopefully though it will reconfirm to him that he should have had the confidence to stick to what he initially thought and we can progress with a settled side.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 14:31 - Sep 19 with 3231 viewsFrimleyBlue

My concern is how much did Brentford actually help our performance in the second half.

Hopefully, you are right and Saturday shows that he's found the formula.

However, Brentford gaffa has spoken of the directness of ITFC in that second half, now I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but whilst it worked well, did it just catch Brentford out, who'd spent 45 minutes pretty much playing in their own training match.

I found the second half, the first 10-15 mins we controlled the half, but once Brentford begun to get a grip on our changes, the game changed again.

Of course well done for making the changes and we played some lovely football after the break, but what does it actually mean going into Saturdays game... that i'm not sure of yet

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 14:51 - Sep 19 with 3141 viewsLuk38644

I like Skuse and Trev as a partnership because Trev has shown quite a bit of dynamism so far. He's got a goal and assist already and does look to support the attack alot, leaving Skuse to do his usual thing. You could easily put Downes or Huws in there if Nolan is ahead of them supporting the lone striker.

We need to persist with that second half system. It's a must.
Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:06 - Sep 19 with 3086 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 14:27 - Sep 19 by ITFC_Forever

The team we finished with had Downes on the pitch and Trev on the bench.... looked like he had taken a knock, as he was holding a bag of ice at the end of the game.

I actually meant Trev on. I meant the team we started the second half with. Although I thought Downes was solid. Probably the natural successor to Skuse and will learn a lot off his wise old head.
Also played a brilliant through ball for Jackson.

But if Trev has taken a knock play Downes as the anchor alongside Skuse to free up Nolan more offensively.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:06 - Sep 19 with 3083 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 14:26 - Sep 19 by SpruceMoose

"Spences long term future was solved last night."

By this you mean he's been justifiably dispatched to non-league football?

At a push.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:09 - Sep 19 with 3074 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 14:31 - Sep 19 by LankHenners

Shouldn't really be a lightbulb moment considering it's the formation he came in to play and has panicked and faffed around and changed it all up.

Hopefully though it will reconfirm to him that he should have had the confidence to stick to what he initially thought and we can progress with a settled side.

No he has been playing 4-1-4-1 all season. It was his base formation at Shrewsbury last season. But it does leave the striker so isolated because of the flat 4 across the middle that doesn't support the centre forward enough.

4-2-3-1 is actually a completely different formation (personal my favourite, most balanced). Really allows wingers and the number 10 to play higher knowing there is 2 anchors behind them. Brentford played it really well last night. Incredibly fluid in possession.

Login to get fewer ads

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:10 - Sep 19 with 3067 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 14:51 - Sep 19 by Luk38644

I like Skuse and Trev as a partnership because Trev has shown quite a bit of dynamism so far. He's got a goal and assist already and does look to support the attack alot, leaving Skuse to do his usual thing. You could easily put Downes or Huws in there if Nolan is ahead of them supporting the lone striker.

We need to persist with that second half system. It's a must.

Im not completely sold on Nolan as a number 10. 8 games in and has no assists and no goals. Whilst he is a tidy footballer. He just doesn't do enough offensively but maybe give him time to play the no.10 role rather than his usual no.8 role.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:14 - Sep 19 with 3041 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 14:31 - Sep 19 by FrimleyBlue

My concern is how much did Brentford actually help our performance in the second half.

Hopefully, you are right and Saturday shows that he's found the formula.

However, Brentford gaffa has spoken of the directness of ITFC in that second half, now I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but whilst it worked well, did it just catch Brentford out, who'd spent 45 minutes pretty much playing in their own training match.

I found the second half, the first 10-15 mins we controlled the half, but once Brentford begun to get a grip on our changes, the game changed again.

Of course well done for making the changes and we played some lovely football after the break, but what does it actually mean going into Saturdays game... that i'm not sure of yet

Whether Dean Smith says we play direct is irrelevant, because anyone who watched the game knows we didn't play long ball second half, I would say we played in behind but with Jackson who played on the shoulder really well last night that is what you done. And that is exactly what Brentford do with Maupay leading the line.

I dont think Brentford contributed to us been good second half, they still offered the threat but I feel we just matched them and went toe to toe instead of defending and hoping to hit them on the counter.

We should take much confidence of how we went toe to toe with in my opinion the 2nd best team in the league. If we can do it against Brentford we should be able to control the whole game against someone like Bolton.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:24 - Sep 19 with 2984 viewsLuk38644

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:10 - Sep 19 by TheTrueBlue1878

Im not completely sold on Nolan as a number 10. 8 games in and has no assists and no goals. Whilst he is a tidy footballer. He just doesn't do enough offensively but maybe give him time to play the no.10 role rather than his usual no.8 role.

I agree with that so far. I'd prefer Huws or a more attack minded midfielder in there if Skuse and Chalobah are going to be the defensive solidity behind them.

As you say, maybe he'll hit a run of form and start contributing, but for the moment he's the best we have in that position.
Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:30 - Sep 19 with 2952 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:24 - Sep 19 by Luk38644

I agree with that so far. I'd prefer Huws or a more attack minded midfielder in there if Skuse and Chalobah are going to be the defensive solidity behind them.

As you say, maybe he'll hit a run of form and start contributing, but for the moment he's the best we have in that position.

Yes I agree right now he is the best we have, in hindsight I would of preferred not to buy Nolan for 1.5m, not loaned Tayo Edun or Jonny Walters. that would have allowed for us to loan in another player who could be included every week. I would have loved to loan Kieran Dowell in that number 10 role this year. And maybe save or spent the 1.5m elsewhere.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:32 - Sep 19 with 2935 viewsMeenoITFC

Agree on your comments, apart from I don't rate Chabolah. Bang average for me, one to many touches, could come good but at the moment hasn't shown hit real talent.

Poll: Is Jonny Williams worth signing

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:36 - Sep 19 with 2921 viewsStokieBlue

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:32 - Sep 19 by MeenoITFC

Agree on your comments, apart from I don't rate Chabolah. Bang average for me, one to many touches, could come good but at the moment hasn't shown hit real talent.

He's played 7 professional first team games.

You could argue we shouldn't be the ones giving him experience but that's a different argument.

SB
[Post edited 19 Sep 2018 15:37]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:38 - Sep 19 with 2902 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I think he raw, id agree with that. But with a raw young player you do get the good and the bad. But what I like about him is he never ever turns away from wanting the ball, doesn't matter how we are playing. Too many times in a town team do we get the ball and every runs away, I would say Chalobah and Skuse are the only ones who will constantly ask for the ball no matter what.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:40 - Sep 19 with 2894 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:36 - Sep 19 by StokieBlue

He's played 7 professional first team games.

You could argue we shouldn't be the ones giving him experience but that's a different argument.

SB
[Post edited 19 Sep 2018 15:37]

I think there is a lot more talent there than given credit for. He's a Chelsea product, he's an England youth player, he was invited personally by Southgate to train with England pre Russia. There is a lot of talent there but as previously stated, with players so young you get the good and the bad. Give him time, I think he will kick on after Christmas.

I remember his brother going to Watford under Zola and he was the exact same.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:42 - Sep 19 with 2885 viewsMeenoITFC

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:38 - Sep 19 by TheTrueBlue1878

I think he raw, id agree with that. But with a raw young player you do get the good and the bad. But what I like about him is he never ever turns away from wanting the ball, doesn't matter how we are playing. Too many times in a town team do we get the ball and every runs away, I would say Chalobah and Skuse are the only ones who will constantly ask for the ball no matter what.

One thing showing for the ball , but what he does with it is another thing. I'm not knocking him as he's a young player but has a lot to learn. Just isn't doing it for me at the moment.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:46 - Sep 19 with 2869 viewsMeenoITFC

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:38 - Sep 19 by TheTrueBlue1878

Also you shouldn't make it a professional centre midfielder if you don't want the ball. Its in every CM's nature to read the game and move.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 16:00 - Sep 19 with 2818 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:46 - Sep 19 by MeenoITFC

Also you shouldn't make it a professional centre midfielder if you don't want the ball. Its in every CM's nature to read the game and move.

I know that, but it doesn't mean it always happens. I just dont think we should knock a player who clearly plays with a lot of confidence, I like it a lot. Its a lot better than seeing Hyam or Douglas in there for me.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 16:09 - Sep 19 with 2784 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I didn’t think Spence was any worse than Donacien in the first half tbh. He improved massive after the break when he played on the right of a back 4

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 16:18 - Sep 19 with 2750 viewsPinewoodblue

Not really a lightbulb moment as all he did was revert to a style used previously.

We do need to see a run of games without significant changes to personnel. Not convinced PH sees the eleven who started the second half as his best eleven.

He may fee Nisala should be in defence but who does he replace?

He may see Walters as his best No 10.

In the weeks ahead he will have Huws & Dozzell to think about.

We do need a settled side but we need a win more.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 17:15 - Sep 19 with 2651 viewsOsborneOneNil

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 15:10 - Sep 19 by TheTrueBlue1878

Problem is, without Huws in there, we have no other 'tidy' midfielder. I like him, and I think he will be quality for us.
Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 17:25 - Sep 19 with 2620 viewsflimflam

I bet you said the same about Ainsley Maitland Niles as well when he was with us?

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 19:35 - Sep 19 with 2454 viewsjas0999

Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 14:31 - Sep 19 by LankHenners

Agreed. His starting eleven last night was baffling.

Second half after changes, much better.
Lightbulb moment for Hurst. on 20:08 - Sep 19 with 2413 viewsStewart27

Yep agree.

I have never been Hirst out and thought it was so tin pot that people were suggesting this. I wanted him to stick to a system, be brave and give it time to gel.

I saw the team sheet last night and gave up hope. Knee jerk and desperate. The first half then justified my fears.

Enough of that nonsense now Paul and get back to plan A.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024