Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian obituary 10:41 - Sep 20 with 1004 viewsNo9

Kevin B a good pice but with some sadness

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/18/kevin-beattie-obituary

A bit late for Vevin but should there be some form of support for the players from previous era's who were not millionaires no matter how good?

Remember it was Sir Bob who got the FA to give some support to Sir Alf
Guardian obituary on 12:16 - Sep 20 with 891 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice. I'm not sure I'd seen the (much) earlier Telegraph piece it links to either. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2308514/Beattie-battles-back-from-the

It must be so hard to go from playing in front of thousands and having the buzz week in week out, to a 'normal' life. Must be such an anti-climax. I struggle to adjust and let go of things in my past that won't be on anywhere near the same scale.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Guardian obituary on 16:39 - Sep 20 with 734 viewsRyorry

It's a superb obit, containing much about his background that I wasn't previously aware of, thanks for posting. Love this bit in particular -

"often meaning Kevin did not eat for two or three days running. He left St Patrick’s Roman Catholic senior school, where he occasionally played truant because he had no shoes to wear, at 14 to work in factory and warehouse jobs.

Spotted by a scout playing in local leagues, at 15 Beattie was invited to talks with the Liverpool manager Bill Shankly, but when he arrived in the city the club had forgotten to send anyone to meet him, and with no money to get to the ground he returned on the first train home. Shortly afterwards Ipswich jumped in to exploit Liverpool’s missed opportunity and their manager, Bobby Robson, is said to have told his chief scout that he would lose his job if he failed to rendezvous with the youngster. Beattie turned up at the interview wearing his father’s shoes, and when Ipswich signed him as an apprentice in 1970, Robson’s first act was to make sure he was properly shod."

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024