Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford 19:09 - Sep 20 with 5647 viewsMaySixth

his changes worked and he outthought Dean Smith getting us an excellent point against one of the best teams in the division

Well done Paul Hurst

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 19:13 - Sep 20 with 4339 viewsBluesky

Well said.
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 19:27 - Sep 20 with 4302 viewstextbackup

So true.
He attempted something first half that didn’t work, and changed it.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 19:58 - Sep 20 with 4278 viewstiptreeblue

Surprise surprise. The same idiot has down voted every post on this
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 20:04 - Sep 20 with 4259 viewsCurrie10

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 19:58 - Sep 20 by tiptreeblue

Surprise surprise. The same idiot has down voted every post on this

Okay sure the down arrow is perhaps a little harsh. Have amended my arrow giving out to some uppies :)

I'll go with the statement - good half time to hold up hands.

However, bizarre team selection straight off the bat that!

( Learn something new every day, I didn't realise you could both up / down arrow a post... )
[Post edited 20 Sep 2018 20:07]
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 20:09 - Sep 20 with 4237 viewsPJH

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 19:27 - Sep 20 by textbackup

So true.
He attempted something first half that didn’t work, and changed it.

Although he could have scrapped that system after 20 minutes or less, although Brentford had not scored at that point, because it was more than obvious by then that it was not working.
Although Brentford were not missing clear cut chances as such they looked several classes above us with us playing that system and I do not think it would have been an injustice if they had been four goals ahead at half time and the game as good as over.
Credit for changing it at half time but he should have changed it long before then even if it meant subbing someone half way through the first half.
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 20:43 - Sep 20 with 4187 viewstiptreeblue

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 20:04 - Sep 20 by Currie10

Okay sure the down arrow is perhaps a little harsh. Have amended my arrow giving out to some uppies :)

I'll go with the statement - good half time to hold up hands.

However, bizarre team selection straight off the bat that!

( Learn something new every day, I didn't realise you could both up / down arrow a post... )
[Post edited 20 Sep 2018 20:07]

Hats off to you. but most people were telling him to play two up top for a couple of weeks and when he does, people moan about it. he goes back to one up top in the second half and we looked so much better
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 20:50 - Sep 20 with 4165 viewstractorgirls

times changed havent they as we sit bottom and class Brentford as one of the best teams in the division!

Poll: Good, Bad, Ugly?

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 20:55 - Sep 20 with 4147 viewsMaySixth

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 20:50 - Sep 20 by tractorgirls

times changed havent they as we sit bottom and class Brentford as one of the best teams in the division!

not really
they have been netter than us for quite some time now

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Login to get fewer ads

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 23:51 - Sep 20 with 4026 views44_not_out

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 20:43 - Sep 20 by tiptreeblue

Hats off to you. but most people were telling him to play two up top for a couple of weeks and when he does, people moan about it. he goes back to one up top in the second half and we looked so much better

All this euphoria about 45 minutes of football and PH being a tactical genius is all well and good. However, my question is, why is it acceptable this season for our GK to bang it long every time we have a goal kick or he has it in his hands (I think many refer to it as hoofball).

Previously, this style has been condemned by the fans but it appears acceptable for this so called new era. Before anyone disagrees, I was there on Tuesday and witnessed it for my own eyes.
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 02:04 - Sep 21 with 3986 viewstextbackup

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 20:09 - Sep 20 by PJH

Although he could have scrapped that system after 20 minutes or less, although Brentford had not scored at that point, because it was more than obvious by then that it was not working.
Although Brentford were not missing clear cut chances as such they looked several classes above us with us playing that system and I do not think it would have been an injustice if they had been four goals ahead at half time and the game as good as over.
Credit for changing it at half time but he should have changed it long before then even if it meant subbing someone half way through the first half.

very true, however maybe he felt he couldn't get his new instructions across whilst game was in play so waited, I've no idea, just guess work.

maybe it was all a big plan to confuse Brentford then surprise them in the second half..... again, guess work.

proper game of two halves. and I walked away thinking it was a decent game.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 05:25 - Sep 21 with 3926 viewsBenters2

Are you looking at the table standing on your head?
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 08:40 - Sep 21 with 3814 viewsStadiumofdark

It's a bit like robbing an old lady's house, then getting credit for taking some of the stuff back.

The change worked, so credit to him. But, starting with your best RB (who wasn't needed at RB for 3 games) at LWB.... was a little odd
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 8:41]
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 08:46 - Sep 21 with 3794 viewscrunchie1978

Taking off the worst player at the club....and bringing on the best player at the club hardly makes him a tactical genius does it!
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 08:48 - Sep 21 with 3791 viewsNo9

Is continually changing the team / format, a positive sign of good management or a lost soul looking for direction?
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:12 - Sep 21 with 3742 viewsitfcjoe

It was, he was very lucky they weren't out of sight though! We could have gone in at HT 3-0 down.

But, lets hope we start with same team and tempo on Saturday, give an XI the chance to build something together - I'll be really disappointed if we don't.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:12 - Sep 21 with 3741 viewsTown_Blue17

Fair play to him for changing it up at half time although one would argue the fact that such drastic changes to a team like ours, who are bottom of the league, shouldn't really be done at this point in the first place.

To be fair to the bloke though at least he was able to adapt and change when it was going bad which is something MM wouldn't never have been able to do.
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:15 - Sep 21 with 3734 viewsitfcjoe

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:12 - Sep 21 by Town_Blue17

Fair play to him for changing it up at half time although one would argue the fact that such drastic changes to a team like ours, who are bottom of the league, shouldn't really be done at this point in the first place.

To be fair to the bloke though at least he was able to adapt and change when it was going bad which is something MM wouldn't never have been able to do.

We changed up plenty of times under Mick at half time, or even earlier - it was one of Mick's strengths to make in game tweaks.

Difference is for some Hurst is a genius for changing it at Half Time whereas Mick would have been an idiot for getting it wrong at the start.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:30 - Sep 21 with 3704 viewsKeaneish

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 20:09 - Sep 20 by PJH

Then we would have had an outcry on here about how much Hurst was damaging players confidence by subbing them so early on!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:32 - Sep 21 with 3703 viewsartsbossbeard

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:12 - Sep 21 by itfcjoe

It was, he was very lucky they weren't out of sight though! We could have gone in at HT 3-0 down.

But, lets hope we start with same team and tempo on Saturday, give an XI the chance to build something together - I'll be really disappointed if we don't.

Starting with the same team seems the logical answer. It was the best we've played under Hurst, however, and whilst we hit the bar before scoring, we do have to thanks Gerks for a couple of saves in the second half and our own woodwork to salvage that point.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:43 - Sep 21 with 3687 viewstrev1991

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:15 - Sep 21 by itfcjoe

We changed up plenty of times under Mick at half time, or even earlier - it was one of Mick's strengths to make in game tweaks.

Difference is for some Hurst is a genius for changing it at Half Time whereas Mick would have been an idiot for getting it wrong at the start.

Agree. I mean, had Hurst not got it so horribly wrong in the first half there wouldn't be the need for obvious change at half time (which the fans seemed able to call so I don't think it was genius).

You still have to credit the decision to change but it's not genius, it's not fantastic management. It's basic management in trying to correct a huge cock up. And we're only giving him that credit because Brentford's finishing was amiss + Gerken played well.
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:45 - Sep 21 with 3677 viewsITFC_Forever

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:32 - Sep 21 by artsbossbeard

Starting with the same team seems the logical answer. It was the best we've played under Hurst, however, and whilst we hit the bar before scoring, we do have to thanks Gerks for a couple of saves in the second half and our own woodwork to salvage that point.

We can also point to Jackson missing a good chance near the end and also hitting the bar....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 12:04 - Sep 21 with 3579 viewsPJH

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:30 - Sep 21 by Keaneish

Then we would have had an outcry on here about how much Hurst was damaging players confidence by subbing them so early on!

I agree that making substitutions for tactical reasons during the first half is a pretty drastic measure but by waiting until half time I think Hurst was very lucky that we were still in the game and not three or four goals behind.

It would have been demoralising for anyone taken off although it would have been because the system was totally not working and not necessarily because there personal performance was so bad.
Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 12:09 - Sep 21 with 3568 viewsmathiemagic

Could not agree more. Obviously he thought the starting formation was the right one, clearly it then was not so he changed it immediately at half time. Great decision. If that had been MM for instance then the change would not have been made until much later and by then Brentford, on the first half showing, would have been home and hosed.

Poll: If we take a battering @ Norwich this weekend will MM get the sack or stay on ?

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 12:26 - Sep 21 with 3555 viewsReuser_is_God

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 09:32 - Sep 21 by artsbossbeard

Indeed but you have to expect that against a good side like Brentford.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 12:29 - Sep 21 with 3550 viewsKeaneish

Fantastic management by Paul Hurst at half time v Brentford on 12:04 - Sep 21 by PJH

I agree that making substitutions for tactical reasons during the first half is a pretty drastic measure but by waiting until half time I think Hurst was very lucky that we were still in the game and not three or four goals behind.

It would have been demoralising for anyone taken off although it would have been because the system was totally not working and not necessarily because there personal performance was so bad.

I remember at Loftus Road when MM brought Taylor on as a 65th minute sub and then subbed him again innocuously 10 - 15 mins later. That has to be the most damning statement i've ever seen!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024