Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts 09:56 - Sep 21 with 5807 viewsBluefish

I am off to a ridiculously posh wedding tomorrow in one of the most expensive hotels in the Britain. The majority of people there will be millionaires, I am not one of them. The couple live in 1.5 million plus house and have good jobs (They worked there way to them and started at the bottom). I am invited all day, how much do you give? It is cash contributions to the honeymoon opposed to gifts

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:11 - Sep 21 with 3363 viewschicoazul

Where on Satan's blue planet would people who hold their wedding at "one of the most expensive hotels in the Britain" get the nerve to ask for money to pay for their honeymoon from their wedding guests? Wedding gifts are a complete anachronism.

EDIT; to answer your question, 3 figures.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 10:13]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:16 - Sep 21 with 3340 viewsGarv

If its such a posh wedding they can pay for their own honeymoon me thinks.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:21 - Sep 21 with 3333 viewsitfcjoe

Find out where they are going on honeymoon and change up £75 or so.

Looks a bit more thoughtful, will be more memorable and they'll appreciate it when they land and want to grab something and have the money on them - if they are that loaded will be more useful than £150 going into a big fund

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:26 - Sep 21 with 3309 viewsElephantintheRoom

An expensive hotel fleecing impressionable punters is not posh. A wedding for a couple with a house that might be a semi in various parts of London is not posh. If everyone had double barrel names, a place in the Cotswolds and a ski chalet, then that might be considered posh IF they had horses and someone to look after them - and the dogs - and the children. Get them a QVC gift voucher.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:29 - Sep 21 with 3293 viewsjeera

Enough for a [slightly posh] toaster?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:39 - Sep 21 with 3269 viewsBluefish

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:11 - Sep 21 by chicoazul

Where on Satan's blue planet would people who hold their wedding at "one of the most expensive hotels in the Britain" get the nerve to ask for money to pay for their honeymoon from their wedding guests? Wedding gifts are a complete anachronism.

EDIT; to answer your question, 3 figures.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 10:13]

I had that thought but attendees are going to want to buy a gift (The loaded ones especially) so they need to give an option that doesn't leave them piled up with expensive tat

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:47 - Sep 21 with 3245 viewsTractorWood

I rarely buy gifts for weddings and certainly wouldn't in the circumstances you describe.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:55 - Sep 21 with 3220 viewsBluefish

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:47 - Sep 21 by TractorWood

I rarely buy gifts for weddings and certainly wouldn't in the circumstances you describe.

Well you are a nasty pasty

Expensive day though when you factor in travel, hotel, clothing etc. Think I will go with 100

Login to get fewer ads

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 11:02 - Sep 21 with 3201 viewsRadlett_blue

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:47 - Sep 21 by TractorWood

The "wedding present" is a typical English anachronism. It used to make sense years ago when a couple getting married were often setting up house for the first time, hence the flow of useful gifts. Now, especially asking for money, is really no different from asking the guests to make a contribution to the cost of the day. Be more efficient to make it a "bring a bottle party".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 11:07 - Sep 21 with 3186 viewsjeera

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:16 - Sep 21 by Garv

If its such a posh wedding they can pay for their own honeymoon me thinks.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/27/bride-cancels-her-wedding-after-guests-refuse-to-

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 11:08 - Sep 21 with 3179 viewsTractorWood

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 11:02 - Sep 21 by Radlett_blue

The "wedding present" is a typical English anachronism. It used to make sense years ago when a couple getting married were often setting up house for the first time, hence the flow of useful gifts. Now, especially asking for money, is really no different from asking the guests to make a contribution to the cost of the day. Be more efficient to make it a "bring a bottle party".

That's what happens at Singaporean weddings. The day is so expensive that everyone just brings money as kind of reimbursement for the day.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 11:13 - Sep 21 with 3164 viewsjeera

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 11:08 - Sep 21 by TractorWood

That's what happens at Singaporean weddings. The day is so expensive that everyone just brings money as kind of reimbursement for the day.

Which, as you both suggest, is a bit different isn't it.

No one resents helping out a hard up couple starting out.

Anything else is akin to, "I'm off to the Caribbean, how would you like to sponsor me ?"

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 11:20 - Sep 21 with 3138 viewsfarkenhell

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:29 - Sep 21 by jeera

Enough for a [slightly posh] toaster?

This one perhaps?

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 11:49 - Sep 21 with 3079 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How much do you usually give when youre a wedding guest?

I dont see why these guys should be any different.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 11:51 - Sep 21 with 3073 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

....I would also add that if they are that wealthy, its pretty tight for them to be asking for contributions.

My wife and I are not wealthy, but we didnt feel comfortable putting a gift list together or asking for money towards a honeymoon.

We asked for our guests to give money to a couple of charities that we support. It worked out really well.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:02 - Sep 21 with 3034 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 10:55 - Sep 21 by Bluefish

Well you are a nasty pasty

Expensive day though when you factor in travel, hotel, clothing etc. Think I will go with 100

Is £100 what you would normally give at a wedding?

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:03 - Sep 21 with 3024 viewsDarth_Koont

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 11:07 - Sep 21 by jeera

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/27/bride-cancels-her-wedding-after-guests-refuse-to-

Cheers. That's fantastic!

Pronouns: He/Him

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:08 - Sep 21 with 3007 viewsBluebell

I would say a lot depends on who they are. Friends, close relatives, distant relatives, work mates? What would they give you if it was the other way round?

If they are that rich, why would they want money?

Buy them a cheap suitcase for the honeymoon and tell them you thought everyone else would be giving money so you decided someone useful would be better.
Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:12 - Sep 21 with 2997 viewscaught-in-limbo

If they like you enough to invite you to such an important event, they'll appreciate you got participating in the money giving game.

All sounds a bit tacky to me.

If you can't think of anything appropriately personal to give them, buy them a couple of neck pillows for the flight (Chinese people always have them and seem to be the only ones who ever get some sleep on long-haul flights) and maybe some novelty luggage tags.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:14 - Sep 21 with 2990 viewsfooters

I can't imagine the mindset of people who ask for wedding gifts. Especially when they've put a whole list together. Gifts are given not demanded. Personally I'd never buy someone a wedding gift if they asked for it. Thankfully most of my friends are of the same mind.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:24 - Sep 21 with 2940 viewsBluefish

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:02 - Sep 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Is £100 what you would normally give at a wedding?

If invited all day yes probably but only one I've been to in recent years was a family member so they got more

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:26 - Sep 21 with 2924 viewsKeno

Ann Summers gift vouchers

you cant go wrong

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:30 - Sep 21 with 2909 viewsMJallday

£10 argos voucher

job done

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:36 - Sep 21 with 2895 viewsitfcjoe

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:14 - Sep 21 by footers

I can't imagine the mindset of people who ask for wedding gifts. Especially when they've put a whole list together. Gifts are given not demanded. Personally I'd never buy someone a wedding gift if they asked for it. Thankfully most of my friends are of the same mind.

I can't imagine the mindset of someone who would go to a wedding without giving a gift....it's surely the most standard thing going?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:40 - Sep 21 with 2882 viewsfooters

Here's a question for you all on wedding gifts on 12:36 - Sep 21 by itfcjoe

I can't imagine the mindset of someone who would go to a wedding without giving a gift....it's surely the most standard thing going?

Don't get me wrong, Joe. I always take a gift to a wedding but it just so happens I've never been to one where there's been a list. It seems totally bizarre to me to demand things of people who are already spending money on attending. As I said above, gifts should be given not demanded.

And if they want a nice set of china then they can bloody well work for it.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024