Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Housing Crisis 16:59 - Sep 21 with 3173 viewsJ2BLUE

Sky just said one of the factors in some areas is houses being 'under occupied'. They asked one man (who owned his house) if he felt guilty for living in such a big house when so many people need more space.

Does anyone think he should feel guilty? Would anyone like to see some sort of bedroom tax brought in on private properties? Seems a really unfair question to me and curious how other people see it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Housing Crisis on 17:06 - Sep 21 with 2256 viewsimsureazzure

He already pays an unfair tax that should be for services but is a tax on the size of ones house.

The poll tax was a very fair tax, destroyed due to the far left not wanting to pay their share.
Housing Crisis on 17:09 - Sep 21 with 2239 viewsStokieBlue

He shouldn't feel guilty, it's just some people trying to get a rise or something over other people.

Lets just go full on window tax if we are going to go down such a silly route.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Housing Crisis on 17:11 - Sep 21 with 2231 viewsJ2BLUE

Housing Crisis on 17:09 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

He shouldn't feel guilty, it's just some people trying to get a rise or something over other people.

Lets just go full on window tax if we are going to go down such a silly route.

SB

Agree, it seems such a stupid question and the man shut it down well by saying why should I feel guilty when i've worked hard since the age of 15?

Truly impaired.

Housing Crisis on 17:15 - Sep 21 with 2212 viewsfooters

No one should feel guilty for owning a home of any kind if it's their only home. People should be directing their anger at successive governments' policies of keeping the housing stock at ridiculously low levels and creating a bubble.

Hundreds of thousands of new social housing homes should be built or areas that are currently run-down need to be done up. And if home builders don't want to do that then the government should.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Housing Crisis on 17:15 - Sep 21 with 2208 viewsStokieBlue

Housing Crisis on 17:11 - Sep 21 by J2BLUE

Agree, it seems such a stupid question and the man shut it down well by saying why should I feel guilty when i've worked hard since the age of 15?

Give it another few hours and you'll have a few different responses though.

SB

Housing Crisis on 17:17 - Sep 21 with 2216 viewsfactual_blue

We're tempted to downsize and use our capital to buy three 'starter' homes next to each other. We'd live in the middle one and keep the ones either side empty for a bit of peace and quiet.

That would help, wouldn't it?

(Clarified for the sake of J2, who seems blissfully unaware of the Interpretation Act 0f 1978, and any other subsequent relevant legislation)
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 17:35]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Housing Crisis on 17:19 - Sep 21 with 2191 viewsJ2BLUE

Housing Crisis on 17:17 - Sep 21 by factual_blue

We're tempted to downsize and use our capital to buy three 'starter' homes next to each other. We'd live in the middle one and keep the ones either side empty for a bit of peace and quiet.

(Clarified for the sake of J2, who seems blissfully unaware of the Interpretation Act 0f 1978, and any other subsequent relevant legislation)

Don't give your wife false hope.

Truly impaired.

Housing Crisis on 17:21 - Sep 21 with 2177 viewsgiant_stow

It would be lovely of you contribute the increased tax on the 2nd and third ones yeah.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Housing Crisis on 17:24 - Sep 21 with 2172 viewsNo9

Housing Crisis on 17:06 - Sep 21 by imsureazzure

He already pays an unfair tax that should be for services but is a tax on the size of ones house.

The poll tax was a very fair tax, destroyed due to the far left not wanting to pay their share.

You mean put in place by the rich who didn't want to pay their shoe.
The poll tax put many poor families in serious finacnail difficulties.
Housing Crisis on 17:24 - Sep 21 with 2170 viewsfactual_blue

Housing Crisis on 17:21 - Sep 21 by giant_stow

It would be lovely of you contribute the increased tax on the 2nd and third ones yeah.

They'd be available as holiday lets.

Just like all the second homes in Southwold.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Housing Crisis on 17:26 - Sep 21 with 2169 viewssparks

Housing Crisis on 17:06 - Sep 21 by imsureazzure

And by the implementation which left people with literally no funds to pay it, having to pay 25% etc, and hosueholds with adults not earning getting pummelled.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Housing Crisis on 17:29 - Sep 21 with 2151 viewschicoazul

I have been saying this for ages. George Monbiot makes the simple elegant point that there is no housing shortage. Something like 80% of houses have one empty bedroom and 65% have two. our country needs to come up with some way to incentivise the chap you mentioned to leave his home for a smaller one.

EDIT; here is his article https://www.monbiot.com/2015/10/21/home-ground/
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 17:32]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Housing Crisis on 17:31 - Sep 21 with 2133 viewsimsureazzure

Housing Crisis on 17:26 - Sep 21 by sparks

And by the implementation which left people with literally no funds to pay it, having to pay 25% etc, and hosueholds with adults not earning getting pummelled.

Services have to be paid for, why should a family of say four persons, pay less to have their rubbish collected than a single occupancy dwelling?
Housing Crisis on 17:32 - Sep 21 with 2133 viewsStokieBlue

Housing Crisis on 17:29 - Sep 21 by chicoazul

I have been saying this for ages. George Monbiot makes the simple elegant point that there is no housing shortage. Something like 80% of houses have one empty bedroom and 65% have two. our country needs to come up with some way to incentivise the chap you mentioned to leave his home for a smaller one.

EDIT; here is his article https://www.monbiot.com/2015/10/21/home-ground/
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 17:32]

That's pretty outrageous in my opinion. Tax second homes all you like, 100% stamp duty if you wish but to try and force someone out of their home, incentivised or not, is unacceptable. If he wanted money he could downsize now and that wouldn't be an issue.

It sounds like something your most hated politician would come out with on a very bad day.

SB

Housing Crisis on 17:34 - Sep 21 with 2115 viewschicoazul

Housing Crisis on 17:32 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

That's pretty outrageous in my opinion. Tax second homes all you like, 100% stamp duty if you wish but to try and force someone out of their home, incentivised or not, is unacceptable. If he wanted money he could downsize now and that wouldn't be an issue.

It sounds like something your most hated politician would come out with on a very bad day.

SB

I agree is is a bit communistic but it makes quite a bit of sense.

It seems to me that there are only a couple of alternatives both of which are highly radical in themselves; control population growth or build many many more houses. What's your solution?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Housing Crisis on 17:35 - Sep 21 with 2115 viewsbluefunk

Housing Crisis on 17:15 - Sep 21 by footers

No one should feel guilty for owning a home of any kind if it's their only home. People should be directing their anger at successive governments' policies of keeping the housing stock at ridiculously low levels and creating a bubble.

Hundreds of thousands of new social housing homes should be built or areas that are currently run-down need to be done up. And if home builders don't want to do that then the government should.

The Times this morning had a little more detail on the report to add to your last paragraph. In essence, the analysis identified that there are 5 "hotspots" but that nationally the number of houses being built matches the current rise in demand at 159,000 a year. Building more will not necessarily solve the problem, therefore - other problems like age of current housing stock, declining communities, expanding communities, as well as the vast number of finance related issues all contribute.
Housing Crisis on 17:35 - Sep 21 with 2111 viewsNo9

Housing Crisis on 17:32 - Sep 21 by StokieBlue

SB

But isn't this just (more or less) what Cameron / Osborne did on spare rooms?
Housing Crisis on 17:41 - Sep 21 with 2085 viewssparks

Housing Crisis on 17:31 - Sep 21 by imsureazzure

Services have to be paid for, why should a family of say four persons, pay less to have their rubbish collected than a single occupancy dwelling?

No one said they should.

But, for instance, students - with no income- were required to pay 25%. On a grant and a loan. It was ridiculous.

The principle of it was fair and right. The implementation was not.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Housing Crisis on 17:45 - Sep 21 with 2067 viewsNo9

Using the same theory why should a row of houses (say 10) pay the same as the Lord of the manor when it takes 2 to 3 times longer to empty his bins and, he has a load of vehicles that don't pay any road tax?
Housing Crisis on 17:46 - Sep 21 with 2063 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Housing Crisis on 17:15 - Sep 21 by footers

There is a degree of urban myth about the supply of houses keeping prices high....it is at least in equal measure due to the post crisis, easy money, low interest rate regime which by making mortgage payments more affordable, allows the prices to be inflated. Current inflation rates and a gradual increase in base rates will do more to lower prices of housing then building policies.......get ready for the next crash!

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/10942/housing/house-prices-and-interest-rates

Oh not forgetting the odd $234 billion in laundered money sloshing around the London real estate bubble.....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45571744
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 17:52]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Housing Crisis on 17:50 - Sep 21 with 2044 viewsimsureazzure

Housing Crisis on 17:45 - Sep 21 by No9

Using the same theory why should a row of houses (say 10) pay the same as the Lord of the manor when it takes 2 to 3 times longer to empty his bins and, he has a load of vehicles that don't pay any road tax?

It is a simple numbers game, it is strange that people are opposed to paying for services received.
Housing Crisis on 17:52 - Sep 21 with 2037 viewsStokieBlue

Housing Crisis on 17:35 - Sep 21 by No9

But isn't this just (more or less) what Cameron / Osborne did on spare rooms?

It's not really is it.

You need to stop framing every single post and argument as a relation to the conservatives,i it weird.

We know you hate them but you need to address the actual issues rather than finding abstract ways to link it back to the Tories.

SB

Housing Crisis on 17:53 - Sep 21 with 2036 viewsSpruceMoose

Seems like an argument for bin weighing to me. Maybe the family of four recycle every single thing they can, whereas the household of one just chucks everything out?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Housing Crisis on 18:00 - Sep 21 with 2005 viewsBasuco

We are tempted to do similar but rent out the other two, with rental rates being so high it would be well worth while.
Housing Crisis on 18:00 - Sep 21 with 1999 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Blimey I realise cr@ss destroyed the inner punk in you but I had no idea you were full social Darwinist survival of the wealthiest in your outlook!
Do you have buried gold, a supply of beans and a gun at the ready.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024