Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Judge the manager after 10 games" 17:24 - Sep 22 with 8353 viewsMullet

We definitely should be and I definitely am.

Another game where the starting line up is changed to accommodate someone with seemingly no balance and forethought on how that impacts the game. Another game where the side are booed off. Another game where the half time team talk seems to rely on substituting someone because the starting XI and subsequent plan failed.

But more importantly, another game without a win. Without shape, pace, movement, goals, creativity, bravery, players shouting "man on", players taking responsibility, communicating or just helping each other out.

No partnerships, no units from touchline to touchline, no belief, no shots on goal for 40 minute spells. No idea who to aim for from a set piece. No pride, no belief in themselves, no idea if they're getting hooked now or next week in far too many cases.

There is absolutely no evidence that Paul Hurst knows his squad, his own mind or how to impact a game positively. His recruitment like his week to week management has been scattered, unbalanced and answers none of the questions piling up .

This seems to be the norm under Evans. The past five years his almost accidental belle epoch under a man vilified in the end for overachieving against the odds. If he cares about our survival something must give. Whether it's more money to the man he's hired this summer, or his P45 I don't know.

But there's faith, blind faith and just being blind. To be without goals, wins and any semblance of hope that we might just "survive" is the weakest of indignant counterarguments this far into the season is utterly tragic and inexcusable. Those still insisting it's someone else's fault, a question of time, a case of "luck" need to break it down for me, because from where I'm perched Evans is about to lose the reigns of this club and let it finally tumble into obscurity without decisiveness.

What exactly does he want us to be? How exactly does he plan to make it so? We have seen a typical management stint in fast forwards it seems, with three or phases of Hurst in as many months, all whilst hurtling backwards.

No one wanted this, but no one can be happy either. Of all the candidates Hurst seems to be the perfect one, albeit a known risk. I think it's evident that he's not respected what was here, not known what he wants exactly, not known how to remedy problems and set backs and through that not done what he set out or promised to do.

It's going to be a long road back for him here now, assuming he gets to walk it. Not since Jewell have we looked this inept and ill-prepared for any test thrown our way. Perhaps those inclined more towards faith will be comforted to know it's Brum away next week. A shrine to seasons and ITFC under Evans redeemed.

I'm not expecting to see miracles when I'm stood in the away end next week, but a bit of fight and sense of purpose would be enough right now. Sod any talk of being careful what you wish for, did someone accidentally go to the fcuking Canary Fairy because I cannot fathom how this has been allowed to happen like this.

I can only think he needs to look around that training ground and be honest with them and himself. Pick a side that fits a system and a pattern like he has said he would. Fill it with players that are up for the fight and go again one last time.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 17:32 - Sep 22 with 7120 viewsMoriarty

It’s quite the mess, and, sadly, time for Evans to Trump Hurst.

I’ll happily endure all the grief that will come my way (perhaps even from your learned self) for this but here goes.

Appoint Burley now.

fka omuircheartaigh

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 17:36 - Sep 22 with 7064 viewsGuthrum

One wonders whether, with the Shrewsbury play off run, the holiday and then straight into the transfer window, Hurst neglected to put any time into looking at what he had and actually planning the transition, approach and system to be used at his new club?

Whether he simply targeted the best L1/2 players he could think of, not working out who would fit together best? Whether he's reacted to strong personalities already at the club with hostility (or off-handedness) rather than tact? Whether, when things started to go wrong, he was left casting around for answers but had already put off those who could help find them?

I find it very mysterious that some of the best performers in the lower divisions of the League have suddenly become rubbish overnight. Suggests the problem is more systemic.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 17:37 - Sep 22 with 7025 viewscbower

Where is the energy Mullet - The press to win the ball back and put the opposition on the back foot? Listless, no tempo and even more horrible to watch than anything I ever witnessed under Mick. He seemed to have some footballing philosophy in the first 4 games. Ok, results were not great but I could see something. That was abandoned for the derby and fans pretty much accepted that one as we could have won. Since the international break, however, we have become aimless hoofball with no semblance of a press. All the loaned players crammed into the 18 is proof positive he knows his recruitment has failed. Selling Joe Garner ( even if he wanted to go) minutes before the deadline. Madness! We are not yet adrift as such but it doesn't look too far off.

bluescouser

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 17:41 - Sep 22 with 6971 viewsPlums

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 17:36 - Sep 22 by Guthrum

One wonders whether, with the Shrewsbury play off run, the holiday and then straight into the transfer window, Hurst neglected to put any time into looking at what he had and actually planning the transition, approach and system to be used at his new club?

Whether he simply targeted the best L1/2 players he could think of, not working out who would fit together best? Whether he's reacted to strong personalities already at the club with hostility (or off-handedness) rather than tact? Whether, when things started to go wrong, he was left casting around for answers but had already put off those who could help find them?

I find it very mysterious that some of the best performers in the lower divisions of the League have suddenly become rubbish overnight. Suggests the problem is more systemic.

That (as usual) all seems well reasoned. I also think the back room issues were signalled early with his comment ‘I’ve been told some players are good players but I haven’t seen it’ or words to that effect. That can’t have gone down well with the academy.

The new players are going to struggle to settle if there’s a bonfire going on behind the scenes. They’re not robots.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 17:48 - Sep 22 with 6896 viewsRobTheMonk

I completely agree with the lack of partnerships. When Graham came on, Knudsen didn't have a clue where he was going to go. It actually looked like they'd never played with each other.

If Chalobah manages to get in the starting line-up for the next game I'm not going to be watching...

The whole messing around of Donacien is borderline embarrassing.

Rumours of of unrest around the place...

I still believe it was right for Mick to go and Hurst at the time was probably a 'right' appointment. It's not working and it's getting worrying.

It's just a big mess at the moment.
"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 17:50 - Sep 22 with 6873 viewsGuthrum

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 17:41 - Sep 22 by Plums

That (as usual) all seems well reasoned. I also think the back room issues were signalled early with his comment ‘I’ve been told some players are good players but I haven’t seen it’ or words to that effect. That can’t have gone down well with the academy.

The new players are going to struggle to settle if there’s a bonfire going on behind the scenes. They’re not robots.

If there's friction behind the scenes, an uncertain system, no work to integrate the new squad members, repeated poor results (some down to performances, some not helped by unfortunate refereeing decisions), then it's unsurprising confidence and cohesion are badly lacking.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

(No subject) on 17:59 - Sep 22 with 6804 viewschristiand

Mullet, you and I know from what has been shown by the team since the very first game of the season this current squad is simply not good enough for this league, another game isn't going to change my opinion. We don't create enough goal-scoring opportunities, we haven't got the players to capitalise when we do, we aren't good enough defensively to stop teams scoring against us (well apart from today against 10 men, but a welcome clean sheet - the only positive!!), we have a squad littered with players that haven't got the quality for this league and the standard of the football has now restored to 'hit and hope' aimless long balls after continuous selection and formation changes. Any parent could encourage that from most touchlines across the country without the need for any FA or UEFA coaching badges. If I could see some green-shoots of hope and optimism I wouldn't mind so much, but I genuinely can't!!!

For those that know a little about football, these issues have been raised for a while but chosen to be ignored or quantified as being negative, but we are a 'VERY LIMITED' Championship side, most Town supporters should be honest enough to admit that to themselves. The fact is we won't need to be that concerned for too long, give it a few months and the relegation trap door will swallow us whole and League One will be our destiny. Change needs to be made sooner rather than later, we can all see what PH's managerial nous can offer us judging from the performances on the pitch, the constant tinkering in selection and indecisiveness ......in summary, not a lot!!!
[Post edited 22 Sep 2018 20:55]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 18:03 - Sep 22 with 6755 viewsMullet

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 17:32 - Sep 22 by Moriarty

It’s quite the mess, and, sadly, time for Evans to Trump Hurst.

I’ll happily endure all the grief that will come my way (perhaps even from your learned self) for this but here goes.

Appoint Burley now.

I can only see Burley being a placeholder until the new man is here. He'd in theory conciliate the leaders in the squad and bring harmony back, but it'd not be a good solution beyond January.

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) on 18:06 - Sep 22 with 6734 viewsMullet

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 17:36 - Sep 22 by Guthrum

There is no system at all. We don't even stick to one for 90 minutes now. Beyond his fcking sat nav sports bras and seesaw tone from press comment to press comment, nothing is predictable in a good way.

From everything I've heard, while all the rumours aren't possible to be true, they are a good picture of Portman Rd burning as Marcus fiddles with his iPhone and hesitates to say "Call 'Arry" again.

(No subject) on 18:07 - Sep 22 with 6723 viewsjontysnut

(No subject) on 17:59 - Sep 22 by christiand

Mullet, you and I know from what has been shown by the team since the very first game of the season this current squad is simply not good enough for this league, another game isn't going to change my opinion. We don't create enough goal-scoring opportunities, we haven't got the players to capitalise when we do, we aren't good enough defensively to stop teams scoring against us (well apart from today against 10 men, but a welcome clean sheet - the only positive!!), we have a squad littered with players that haven't got the quality for this league and the standard of the football has now restored to 'hit and hope' aimless long balls after continuous selection and formation changes. Any parent could encourage that from most touchlines across the country without the need for any FA or UEFA coaching badges. If I could see some green-shoots of hope and optimism I wouldn't mind so much, but I genuinely can't!!!

For those that know a little about football, these issues have been raised for a while but chosen to be ignored or quantified as being negative, but we are a 'VERY LIMITED' Championship side, most Town supporters should be honest enough to admit that to themselves. The fact is we won't need to be that concerned for too long, give it a few months and the relegation trap door will swallow us whole and League One will be our destiny. Change needs to be made sooner rather than later, we can all see what PH's managerial nous can offer us judging from the performances on the pitch, the constant tinkering in selection and indecisiveness ......in summary, not a lot!!!
[Post edited 22 Sep 2018 20:55]

This is a very good debate.I wonder if Evans had targets. I'm sure he didn't anticipate this - on field and apparently off. When would he say enough 's enough.
"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 18:08 - Sep 22 with 6710 viewsMullet

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 17:37 - Sep 22 by cbower

Where is the energy Mullet - The press to win the ball back and put the opposition on the back foot? Listless, no tempo and even more horrible to watch than anything I ever witnessed under Mick. He seemed to have some footballing philosophy in the first 4 games. Ok, results were not great but I could see something. That was abandoned for the derby and fans pretty much accepted that one as we could have won. Since the international break, however, we have become aimless hoofball with no semblance of a press. All the loaned players crammed into the 18 is proof positive he knows his recruitment has failed. Selling Joe Garner ( even if he wanted to go) minutes before the deadline. Madness! We are not yet adrift as such but it doesn't look too far off.

We just don't look like we're even kicking do we?

All those talking about "seeing things" in the past few weeks should stick with their dealers. 5, 10, 15 minutes that rival the worst bits of last season is thin gruel indeed.

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 18:09 - Sep 22 with 6676 viewsSpruceMoose

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 18:08 - Sep 22 by Mullet

We just don't look like we're even kicking do we?

All those talking about "seeing things" in the past few weeks should stick with their dealers. 5, 10, 15 minutes that rival the worst bits of last season is thin gruel indeed.

Stick a fork in us. We are done.

Looking at our upcoming games... Can't see us winning any of them.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 18:19 - Sep 22 with 6572 viewsgroovyASH

It's impossible to argue with this. There is no evidence Hurst knows what he is doing, that he knows his players, that the players know what they are doing or that we have brought in players to assemble a squad of enough quality to be competitive in this league.

It's a complete mess. Too much change was made too soon. The balance and equilibrium we had, and dare I say the stability and spirit MM gave to us, are gone. The scaffolding that held us together is gone.

Hard decisions now need to be made. Hurst sadly needs to be sacked now. We need another steady head to come in and bale Marcus Evans out of another of his turgid messes. Let's hope he has the balls to make a tough call.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

(No subject) on 18:20 - Sep 22 with 6569 viewsHarryfromBath

You have to build partnerships across the pitch, and this doesn't happen when you are (a) constantly changing the side and (b) regularly altering your formation. Players can't build working partnerships, and more crucially, trust with other and it also erodes their confidence. Misunderstandings abound.

On the pitch, this has resulted in a loss of tempo in our play and an inability to press as a coherent group of players. It has also been evidenced in the missed forward passes and - even the more dangerously - the reflexive back-passes which can land you in trouble.

Trying to find an underscoring theme, I keep returning to Hurst underestimating the leap in quality between the two divisions. His comment in the pre-Brentford press conference that there is little difference between managing at League One and Championship level rang alarm bells and these have not quietened.

It's well and good if (like Sheffield United) you bring a team up and evolve it but building one from scratch is a totally different prospect. You are managing senior players with proven track-records of achievement at this level and high levels of self-belief, so treating them like more limited lower-league players with lesser track-records risks eroding their trust.

Overlay this with the constant chopping and changing of formation and personnel and you have a management team which ends up losing any belief from its players in it, and which also undermines their confidence. In this context, playing 10 games without a win is hardly surprising.

There's a lot we can't see because we're not privy to what is going on with regard to training, tactical preparation and pre-match instructions, but as things stand I can't see things on the pitch changing soon. I really hope that I'm reading this wrong.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2018 18:26]

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 18:32 - Sep 22 with 6465 viewsSonOfSpock

The League table doesn't lie
(No subject) on 18:35 - Sep 22 with 6438 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) on 18:20 - Sep 22 by HarryfromBath

You have to build partnerships across the pitch, and this doesn't happen when you are (a) constantly changing the side and (b) regularly altering your formation. Players can't build working partnerships, and more crucially, trust with other and it also erodes their confidence. Misunderstandings abound.

On the pitch, this has resulted in a loss of tempo in our play and an inability to press as a coherent group of players. It has also been evidenced in the missed forward passes and - even the more dangerously - the reflexive back-passes which can land you in trouble.

Trying to find an underscoring theme, I keep returning to Hurst underestimating the leap in quality between the two divisions. His comment in the pre-Brentford press conference that there is little difference between managing at League One and Championship level rang alarm bells and these have not quietened.

It's well and good if (like Sheffield United) you bring a team up and evolve it but building one from scratch is a totally different prospect. You are managing senior players with proven track-records of achievement at this level and high levels of self-belief, so treating them like more limited lower-league players with lesser track-records risks eroding their trust.

Overlay this with the constant chopping and changing of formation and personnel and you have a management team which ends up losing any belief from its players in it, and which also undermines their confidence. In this context, playing 10 games without a win is hardly surprising.

There's a lot we can't see because we're not privy to what is going on with regard to training, tactical preparation and pre-match instructions, but as things stand I can't see things on the pitch changing soon. I really hope that I'm reading this wrong.

Said this at the time Harry, but they really should have given you the job.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

(No subject) on 18:35 - Sep 22 with 6442 viewsMullet

(No subject) on 18:07 - Sep 22 by jontysnut

This is a very good debate.I wonder if Evans had targets. I'm sure he didn't anticipate this - on field and apparently off. When would he say enough 's enough.

In the flurry of texts I've had tonight one TWTDer who I shan't name suggested Evans must be very p1ssed off. He wanted to keep Mick but money talks and the loss of sales revenue told.

How many have we had in the ground this week?

(No subject) on 18:41 - Sep 22 with 6399 viewsMullet

(No subject) on 18:20 - Sep 22 by HarryfromBath

Mogga is the cornerstone to this. It's easy to say I was wrong to dismiss him now, but the core difference here is that he had a team, one he started working on the season they went down, and that long gestation is proving itself.

Also had he come here he couldn't have brought Mulgrew and Dack along, let alone wait for them whilst stockpiling any loan wafted under his nose and gifting toilet blocks to his lesser neighbours in the ghettos of the lower league like some newly ordained Banana Republic leader.

I wonder now those who said all was well after those two Exeter interviews want to reassess their dismissive assertions. It's pretty clear the division was in place then if not before.

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 19:01 - Sep 22 with 6243 viewsKeaneish

Have to say Mullet, most of that is fairly inaccurate in my view and it reads like a sulky, frustrated rant. Other than decisiveness, quality and belief in the final third I see little to moan about. All of which can be easy resolved if Edwards and Ward play higher up the pitch and on the full backs shoulder and at least one of the midfielders look to break beyond Jackson.

Agreed it was toothless but to compare it to Jewell is, in my view, "revisionism".

Not happy with the result but nowhere near as dejected as you sound.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 19:18 - Sep 22 with 6097 viewsMullet

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 19:01 - Sep 22 by Keaneish

Have to say Mullet, most of that is fairly inaccurate in my view and it reads like a sulky, frustrated rant. Other than decisiveness, quality and belief in the final third I see little to moan about. All of which can be easy resolved if Edwards and Ward play higher up the pitch and on the full backs shoulder and at least one of the midfielders look to break beyond Jackson.

Agreed it was toothless but to compare it to Jewell is, in my view, "revisionism".

Which bits are inaccurate, which bits aren't like Jewell?

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 19:24 - Sep 22 with 6031 viewsartsbossbeard

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 19:18 - Sep 22 by Mullet

don't bother with this one. He's still got a semi from Mick going and can't see the glaringly obvious.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 19:27 - Sep 22 with 6007 viewschristiand

They're not Mullet, just some need to remove the blue blinkers to see what is staring them blatantly in the face!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 19:36 - Sep 22 with 5918 viewsbrogansnose

Yeah, cos Pennington is a full back and Nolan sits just ahead of the defence along with Chalobah and Shuse. Face it, he doesn't know what he's doing.
Of course you aren't as dejected.... on 19:40 - Sep 22 with 5883 viewsBloots

....all you care about is the fact the MM is gone.

Even some of the most anti MM posters are man enough to admit that the current situation is no better.

You should try thinking more about the club you claim to support than your pathetic personal agendas.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

"Judge the manager after 10 games" on 19:45 - Sep 22 with 5800 viewspointofblue

Defensively we're far more solid under Hurst than we were under Jewell. I can also see what he's TRYING to work towards though it wasn't overly evident today. With Jewell at the end I was clueless.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024