Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start 16:39 - Sep 23 with 4433 viewsBluedandy

to a managerial reign in Ipswich Town's professional history i.e. no win in first ten competitive matches.

The football yesterday was truly diabolical, it was proper indigestible relegation fodder.

Sadly this guy is managing above his pay grade and the longer we leave it then the more likely we will be playing third division football for the first time since 1957.

Bring back Klug, Hogg and Nash .... if we are going to leave the top two tiers of English football then let's do it with a degree of pedigree.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 16:44]
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:43 - Sep 23 with 3991 viewsDarth_Koont

Too soon for that type of absolutism. We're certainly in a rut (made far worse by being the start of his reign and the start of the season) but managers have come out of ruts before and prospered. Anyone calling it more than a rut needs to take a step back and ask themselves how they know that for certain.

And anyway, your credibility is completely undermined by your choice of replacement.

Pronouns: He/Him

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:53 - Sep 23 with 3935 viewsBluedandy

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:43 - Sep 23 by Darth_Koont

Too soon for that type of absolutism. We're certainly in a rut (made far worse by being the start of his reign and the start of the season) but managers have come out of ruts before and prospered. Anyone calling it more than a rut needs to take a step back and ask themselves how they know that for certain.

And anyway, your credibility is completely undermined by your choice of replacement.

Logically you can only know for certain once you are relegated that's why you take pre-emptive action.

Palace sacked Frank de Boer after 5 games last season ... did they know for certain that they would be relegated ... of course they didn't ... did they do the right thing? Absolutely.

You can have an argument about who's best to replace him but that certainly does not undermine the credibility of the main argument i.e the need to sack Paul Hurst asap.
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:56 - Sep 23 with 3916 viewsDarth_Koont

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:53 - Sep 23 by Bluedandy

Logically you can only know for certain once you are relegated that's why you take pre-emptive action.

Palace sacked Frank de Boer after 5 games last season ... did they know for certain that they would be relegated ... of course they didn't ... did they do the right thing? Absolutely.

You can have an argument about who's best to replace him but that certainly does not undermine the credibility of the main argument i.e the need to sack Paul Hurst asap.

"Sacking him ASAP" is taking on a new and different risk as it seems very premature rather than pre-emptive.

I'd prefer to have more evidence about what Hurst and these players can do or at least what we need as a replacement.

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:58 - Sep 23 with 3908 viewsGarv

Keane took 16 games to get a win.

Also, Klug doesn't want it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:59 - Sep 23 with 3884 viewsSamWhiteUK

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:43 - Sep 23 by Darth_Koont

What credibility?
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:03 - Sep 23 with 3855 viewshomer_123

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:56 - Sep 23 by Darth_Koont

"Sacking him ASAP" is taking on a new and different risk as it seems very premature rather than pre-emptive.

I'd prefer to have more evidence about what Hurst and these players can do or at least what we need as a replacement.

But sometimes, you make a decision with the best of intention and information but that decision turns out to be the wrong one.

And sometimes, you do need to bite the bullet.

I don't fully know if that is our situation DK but the start we have had is way worse that any of us expected.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:05 - Sep 23 with 3840 viewsBluedandy

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:56 - Sep 23 by Darth_Koont

You don't have the luxury time... to stroke our collective chin and weigh up the pros and cons ... there are 37 games left.

Season before last Rotherham sacked Alan Stubbs after one win, six points and 13 games ... they waited too long and got relegated.

This team under Hurst is going down ... it was a big gamble and it's backfired ... minimise the fallout ... clubs far bigger than Ipswich axe managers in this type of context.

It's no big deal, it's football.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 17:06]
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:06 - Sep 23 with 3833 viewsDarth_Koont

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:03 - Sep 23 by homer_123

But sometimes, you make a decision with the best of intention and information but that decision turns out to be the wrong one.

And sometimes, you do need to bite the bullet.

I don't fully know if that is our situation DK but the start we have had is way worse that any of us expected.

Of course. But if the big mistake was making too many changes too quickly then we need time to settle down before we know what we've got.

A new manager coming in might just prolong that process.

Login to get fewer ads

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:10 - Sep 23 with 3806 viewsDarth_Koont

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:05 - Sep 23 by Bluedandy

You don't have the luxury time... to stroke our collective chin and weigh up the pros and cons ... there are 37 games left.

Season before last Rotherham sacked Alan Stubbs after one win, six points and 13 games ... they waited too long and got relegated.

This team under Hurst is going down ... it was a big gamble and it's backfired ... minimise the fallout ... clubs far bigger than Ipswich axe managers in this type of context.

See my post above.

Do we add more upheaval into the mix if that is the biggest issue? Do we then give that manager time to work things out and settle things down instead of getting results immediately?

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:11 - Sep 23 with 3793 viewsHerbivore

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:05 - Sep 23 by Bluedandy

Only 37 games?! Now I'm worried.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:15 - Sep 23 with 3757 viewshomer_123

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:06 - Sep 23 by Darth_Koont

Of course. But if the big mistake was making too many changes too quickly then we need time to settle down before we know what we've got.

A new manager coming in might just prolong that process.

Given we are not seeing any kind of progression in terms of approach or results (in fact since Norwich we have gone backwards) it's hard to see what could be worse.

I've posted earlier that Hurst does need to pick and stick to a starting XI and give them an opportunity to play as a unit...question is, how long and is it too late?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:17 - Sep 23 with 3746 viewsBluedandy

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:10 - Sep 23 by Darth_Koont

See my post above.

Do we add more upheaval into the mix if that is the biggest issue? Do we then give that manager time to work things out and settle things down instead of getting results immediately?

We are already in upheaval ... winless after 10 games ...

Realistically you have one opportunity in any given season to change things with a new manager ... clearly the longer you leave it the harder it is to turn a season around?

So how many games without a win would you leave it .... 15? 20? 25? 30? Do you have a number?
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 17:17]
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:18 - Sep 23 with 3730 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:58 - Sep 23 by Garv

Did Keane really take 16 matches?

If so, I'd forgotten that.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:19 - Sep 23 with 3719 viewsGarv

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:18 - Sep 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

Did Keane really take 16 matches?

If so, I'd forgotten that.

Late October. Pretty sure that was his magic number.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:33 - Sep 23 with 3661 viewsDarth_Koont

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:17 - Sep 23 by Bluedandy

We are already in upheaval ... winless after 10 games ...

Realistically you have one opportunity in any given season to change things with a new manager ... clearly the longer you leave it the harder it is to turn a season around?

So how many games without a win would you leave it .... 15? 20? 25? 30? Do you have a number?
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 17:17]

I'd say give it to the international break at least. So three games and then let's see where we are.

It's bizarre that you see it in black and white terms when there are contradictions to your point of view even in our own recent history. Both Keane and Jewell both went 13+ games showing relegation form. One time, we sacked the manager and brought in a replacement who exceeded expectations to keep us up. The other time we kept the manager (largely because it was too early to tell what that initial winless run meant) and we stayed up comfortably.

So I don't see the desperate urge to put all our eggs in a new manager basket who might save us but also might add to the problem of upheaval and a lack of continuity. And possibly might not even be as good as Hurst or probably not as able to use the players in the way Hurst intended them.

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:59 - Sep 23 with 3573 viewsBluedandy

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:33 - Sep 23 by Darth_Koont

I'd say give it to the international break at least. So three games and then let's see where we are.

It's bizarre that you see it in black and white terms when there are contradictions to your point of view even in our own recent history. Both Keane and Jewell both went 13+ games showing relegation form. One time, we sacked the manager and brought in a replacement who exceeded expectations to keep us up. The other time we kept the manager (largely because it was too early to tell what that initial winless run meant) and we stayed up comfortably.

So I don't see the desperate urge to put all our eggs in a new manager basket who might save us but also might add to the problem of upheaval and a lack of continuity. And possibly might not even be as good as Hurst or probably not as able to use the players in the way Hurst intended them.

So if we don't win one of the next three then sack him? If I'm black and white then you're being rather opaque and frankly over-thinking what is quite a straightforward issue.

Also the track record of either Keane or Jewell hardly vindicates the argument we should hold fire .... and more broadly how many more games would any club give a new manager who fails to win? Not many is the answer.

Of the course the appointment of a new manager might backfire then again it might not ... that's football.

If Hurst loses the next 3 then pull the trigger .... but how many more games would you give Hurst without a win?
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 18:01 - Sep 23 with 3560 viewsCurrie10

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 16:58 - Sep 23 by Garv

Yes and no, Keane did win his first 2!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, Keane thought the squad was quite decent based on the 2 wins, shame we didn't lose them both!

14 league games for Keane, 15th lucky.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 18:03]
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 18:40 - Sep 23 with 3434 viewsgt81

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 17:59 - Sep 23 by Bluedandy

So if we don't win one of the next three then sack him? If I'm black and white then you're being rather opaque and frankly over-thinking what is quite a straightforward issue.

Also the track record of either Keane or Jewell hardly vindicates the argument we should hold fire .... and more broadly how many more games would any club give a new manager who fails to win? Not many is the answer.

Of the course the appointment of a new manager might backfire then again it might not ... that's football.

If Hurst loses the next 3 then pull the trigger .... but how many more games would you give Hurst without a win?

I'd say 15-16 tops. Trouble is, if the players he has bought are simply not good enough I'd doubt that even Guardiola could keep this bunch up.
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 18:41 - Sep 23 with 3434 viewsBinner

Not true. Keane's first two games as Ipswich manager...

Cardiff 0 Ipswich 3
Ipswich 2 Coventry 1

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 19:03 - Sep 23 with 3351 viewsbraveblue

Our pedigree is to give managers time. People have been calling for him to get the sack after 6 games. It’s crazy. Just support him.

Too many forget MM took us to our worst finish for 50 years.

Evans is the problem.
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 19:26 - Sep 23 with 3279 viewsBadgerBajner

We knew it would be a challenge when MM left, no matter who came in to replace him. It's been a gamble to bring in a lower league manager, try to play a different style, let experienced players go and replace them with a dozen lower league players with potential. Ok it's been a worse start than we would have expected but everybody at the club must have realised what the situation was when taking this new route.

To sack PH now would be yet another gamble. To rip it all up and start again. Back to a short term plan of avoid relegation, keep it tight, frustrate the opposition... Didn't we want to get away from this?

37 games to go. 13 wins, 8 draws and 16 defeats would almost certainly guarantee survival. 11 wins, 7 draws, 19 defeats may well be enough. I am positive things will click and that sort of record to end of the season is achievable.
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 19:54 - Sep 23 with 3238 viewsgazzer1999

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 19:26 - Sep 23 by BadgerBajner

We knew it would be a challenge when MM left, no matter who came in to replace him. It's been a gamble to bring in a lower league manager, try to play a different style, let experienced players go and replace them with a dozen lower league players with potential. Ok it's been a worse start than we would have expected but everybody at the club must have realised what the situation was when taking this new route.

To sack PH now would be yet another gamble. To rip it all up and start again. Back to a short term plan of avoid relegation, keep it tight, frustrate the opposition... Didn't we want to get away from this?

37 games to go. 13 wins, 8 draws and 16 defeats would almost certainly guarantee survival. 11 wins, 7 draws, 19 defeats may well be enough. I am positive things will click and that sort of record to end of the season is achievable.

" try to play a different style" I thought it was more hoof ball than McCarthy.
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 20:19 - Sep 23 with 3182 viewsSuperblue95

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 19:03 - Sep 23 by braveblue

Our pedigree is to give managers time. People have been calling for him to get the sack after 6 games. It’s crazy. Just support him.

Too many forget MM took us to our worst finish for 50 years.

Evans is the problem.

Funny thing is we are only 2 points from safety yet some are talking like we are days away from having relegation confirmed

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 20:23 - Sep 23 with 3162 viewsjasondozzell

Maybe try supporting the team and manager?
The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 20:34 - Sep 23 with 3106 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The sooner we sack Paul Hurst the better. Already this is the worst ever start on 20:23 - Sep 23 by jasondozzell

Maybe try supporting the team and manager?

Sorry... meant to upvote that!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024