Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff 20:50 - Sep 24 with 2527 viewsSomethingBlue

But that won't battle-harden them. Need to get the best of these guys phased into senior football, whether off our bench or via the right loan, over this season or we will waste a very good generation. It's not easy, I get that, but there has to be a worry that it won't happen.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 20:58 - Sep 24 with 2461 viewsbackwaywhen

Just watched some the game myself ....very confident display with all the youngsters looking at ease with their teammates and positions on the pitch ...quite polished in fact !
Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 21:18 - Sep 24 with 2401 viewsReuser_is_God

Agreed.
I watched the Hull game on FB & it wasn’t even a contest. They won’t learn or improve doing this each week, as much as it looks good.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2018 21:20]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 21:23 - Sep 24 with 2365 viewsTerry_Nutkins

I think you only have to watch one u23 game to realise why we send our prospects out on loan. Playing competivive mens football within 5a few divisions of our own is much more beneficial.

Can understand how this is easing Dozzell back. We do need to get himmsome proper game time soon though, must say his situation is confusing.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 09:09 - Sep 25 with 2105 viewsTractorJack

A lot has to be said about getting the right loan. Can anyone recall any academy players improving after a loan and being able to transition in to our first team as a result? Rhodes probably should have but other than that, anyone that's been successful has progressed straight to sub appearances and gone on from there.
Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 09:58 - Sep 25 with 2078 viewsPilgrimblue

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 09:09 - Sep 25 by TractorJack

A lot has to be said about getting the right loan. Can anyone recall any academy players improving after a loan and being able to transition in to our first team as a result? Rhodes probably should have but other than that, anyone that's been successful has progressed straight to sub appearances and gone on from there.

don't like the loan idea as too many just disappear possibly because they lose interest in the game etc. Folami was introduced at end of season and didn't look out of place as did Morris.
Burley and the Beat were included at 18 and soon found their feet so I feel that Wolfy et al would be better off here rather than loans to poor sides that have an entirely different approach/playng syle.
I'm willing to bet that more of our loans out never return to play at PR. However PH is now picking players that are just not good enough even in U23 level.
Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 10:05 - Sep 25 with 2056 viewsitfcjoe

Loan market is so hit and miss - I'm amazed no club has entered a 'B' team into the bottom tier of the football pyramid to get them to a competitive level over the years.

I wonder at what point U23 football does become more competitive, it should do at some point as more and more players come into system and need better quality games

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 10:19 - Sep 25 with 2019 viewsThrobbe

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 09:58 - Sep 25 by Pilgrimblue

don't like the loan idea as too many just disappear possibly because they lose interest in the game etc. Folami was introduced at end of season and didn't look out of place as did Morris.
Burley and the Beat were included at 18 and soon found their feet so I feel that Wolfy et al would be better off here rather than loans to poor sides that have an entirely different approach/playng syle.
I'm willing to bet that more of our loans out never return to play at PR. However PH is now picking players that are just not good enough even in U23 level.

Totally agree in principle, but I do think those players need to come in to a stable team with some wise heads around them to steer them through. Think how Titus settled with Mowbray and Magilton for guidance.

A spell in the first team as it stands could break some of those players, so a loan further down the leagues might be a better option, particularly if we are selective on who we loan them to.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 10:28 - Sep 25 with 1993 viewsITFCBlues

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 10:05 - Sep 25 by itfcjoe

Loan market is so hit and miss - I'm amazed no club has entered a 'B' team into the bottom tier of the football pyramid to get them to a competitive level over the years.

I wonder at what point U23 football does become more competitive, it should do at some point as more and more players come into system and need better quality games

Of those who played last night, which ones should be in the first team now and capable of competing for a first team spot?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Login to get fewer ads

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 11:57 - Sep 25 with 1908 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sometimes a decision needs to be forced through a lack of options. That's what's happened at Swansea down here lately. They started the season with only 1 senior CB at the club, so drafted in a young lad called Joe Rodon from the U23s and he's been absolutely class.

In their 0-0 with Middlesborough at the weekend they played 5 lads who were in the U23s last season. All tidy footballers (like ours are). Sometimes you don't find out if they're good enough until you throw them in at the deep end (and give them a few games to find their feet).

You're right, there's a worry we won't find out if this generation has what it takes. We've recruited quantity over quality, have too many players and it's unlikely many of our youngsters will have the chance to prove themselves. Even if they get some game time chances are they'll be out the next match.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 12:30 - Sep 25 with 1861 viewsClapham_Junction

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 10:05 - Sep 25 by itfcjoe

I guess because the FA doesn't allow reserve teams to be promoted beyond step 5 (the Premier Division of the Eastern Counties League).

Up until the 50s or 60s, Football League teams often had their reserve or 'A' teams playing in regional leagues; the 'A' teams of Town, Arsenal, Norwich Spurs and West Ham all played in the Eastern Counties League, as well as Chelsea reserves. Town actually played in the same division as Norwich reserves for two seasons before joining the Football League (in the season the club were elected to the league, the team had finished below Plymouth Argyle reserves)

Personally I wouldn't want reserve teams in the normal league structure. In countries that do allow it, it's widely opposed by supporters.
Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 12:35 - Sep 25 with 1851 viewsJakeITFC

The Cov side last night was actually fairly decent as well, with a few senior pros in the mix that I recognised on the teamsheet when I walked in.

Of the side last night, I'd say Chris Smith, Myles Kenlock, Flynn Downes and Andre Dozzell are players who should be supplementing the senior side as it stands, and I'm not sure we need to have signed squad players in their positions this season. I'd prefer we didn't loan them out.

Idris El Mizouni, Ben Folami and Jack Lankester are growing well in the youth sides and so I'm happy enough with them staying put for the time being, maybe a late season loan if the opportunity presents at Conference level.

Harry Wright, Dylan Crowe and Corrie Ndaba need more time.

Jordan Roberts isn't good enough.
Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 12:41 - Sep 25 with 1824 viewsitfcjoe

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 12:30 - Sep 25 by Clapham_Junction

I guess because the FA doesn't allow reserve teams to be promoted beyond step 5 (the Premier Division of the Eastern Counties League).

Up until the 50s or 60s, Football League teams often had their reserve or 'A' teams playing in regional leagues; the 'A' teams of Town, Arsenal, Norwich Spurs and West Ham all played in the Eastern Counties League, as well as Chelsea reserves. Town actually played in the same division as Norwich reserves for two seasons before joining the Football League (in the season the club were elected to the league, the team had finished below Plymouth Argyle reserves)

Personally I wouldn't want reserve teams in the normal league structure. In countries that do allow it, it's widely opposed by supporters.

I'm personally not overly for 'B' Teams in the league structure, although think at some point they will come in.

I would just rather see them coming in at the very bottom and work way up to level, opposed to being parachuted in at a higher level which would be totally unfair

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 22:01 - Sep 25 with 1623 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Our Under-23s play some exceptional stuff on 09:58 - Sep 25 by Pilgrimblue

You raise some good points here. We.have really struggled to make transition from loans to first team. Many have benefitted but not for us. Marriott definitely benefitted but the benefits came later as we had better options when he came back. Same for Rhodes as said.

Trying to think of some success stories from loans....struggling.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024