Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The most frustrating thing about the U23s and U18s playing so well.... 09:14 - Sep 25 with 891 viewsitfcjoe

....is that they are playing how a Paul Hurst side plays. We really seemed to have embraced his 4141 throughout the club, with high tempo, high pressing, and it is really great to watch at that level.

I noted it in pre season with Hurst 'making his mark' (as per the below post)

But we seem to have drifted so far away from it at first team level and I can't understand why. I appreciate it is much harder at that level when against better opposition, but our first team players are comparitively as good as our U23s compared to the opposition.

I worry it is because the u23s and U18s are far better drilled, and far fitter as been working on it throughout pre season - whereas 1st team squad took into the season to be fully formed and we now can't get the players fit enough. i think there is an argument for Hurst to try and play his fittest team, rather than his best one at the moment.

Very frustrating, as that style is fun to watch, but Hurst could be gone before he has even properly tried to implement it into the first team

Paul Hurst - Making his mark by itfcjoe 20 Jul 2018 8:27
I've been to all 3 pre season games at all the age levels this week (1st team v Crawley, U23s v Lowestoft and U18s v Sudbury) and it's really clear that Hurst has been getting his ideas over to each team - there have been huge similarities in all 3 games.

Back 4
Spence - Woolfenden - Chambers - Kenlock
Cotter - Marshall - Ndaba - Webber
Ronan - Henry - Vega - Clements

Full backs pushing on very high when we have the ball, acting as almost wingers when on the attack, Defensively being asked to defend 1 on 1 a lot and win battles. Ball to be passed out from the back

Defensive Midfield 1
Skuse
McGavin
Scott

Takes the ball of the back 4, and looks to begin play - key out ball is a diaganol to the full backs who are advanced and play begins from there. When we have the ball split the centre backs and drop into a back 3 so more ground is covered to ward of counter attacks.

Midfield 1
Dozzell
Crowe
El-Mizouni

More of a ball player, but a lot of responsibility to press as well. If Diagonal to full back isn't on then up to them to take ball of the deep lying player and try to create something and get playing. Recycling possession.

Attacking 3
Sears - Nydam - Ward
Folami - Lankester - Roberts
Foudil - Dobra - Hughes

Wide players have to cover a lot of ground and get up and down the pitch - stay very wide without the ball and try to take ball down the line on counters. When they have the full backs up supporting them seem to drift inside to try and get extra bodies int he middle whilst still linking up with the full back who is the one who tends to get the cross in. Central man presses the CBs and DMs hard, and gets beyond the striker often looking to score goals or get on the end of crosses in the box.

Striker 1
Waghorn
Drinan
Brown

A lot of back to goal play, and a lot of tireless running. Has to be able to break quickly and carry the ball, but also bring others into play when the game requires it. A position that a lot of half chances seem to fall to and needs to be a good finisher.

One of the main things I've noted though, is that the pressing is very high and very intense - all 3 games have seen us tail off in the second half as players seem to run out of puff.

We are playing more football, and getting more men forward than the previous manager - the midfielders are getting ahead of the striker and making late 3rd man runs which are hard to pick up. Dobra did this especially well last night.

I'm very impressed at how quickly the message seems to have been gotten across at all levels, and think the players have had a really physically tough pre season - the youths seem to be on similar fitness regimes to the first team which is very tough, but required.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The most frustrating thing about the U23s and U18s playing so well.... on 11:10 - Sep 25 with 800 viewstextbackup

panic set in, and pressure. this is my guess as to why we've drifted from it. the u18's and 23's don't have 14k turn up to watch weekly or get the focus. if it doesn't work for them its no biggie.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The most frustrating thing about the U23s and U18s playing so well.... on 11:21 - Sep 25 with 782 viewsBuyoutclause

It's quite bizarre the complete change and uncertainty regarding the formation/squad. I thought Grimsby/Shrewsbury fans had said he very rarely deviates from this formation and philosophy. Like many have said, this is the worrying part of what has happened so far, his seemingly complete dismissal of what was worked upon in pre-season and in the past.

Although, so much has already changed since the pre-season games in terms of personnel, it may require another 'pre-season' to occur mid-season. But I thought that would have happened in the 1st international break.
The most frustrating thing about the U23s and U18s playing so well.... on 11:26 - Sep 25 with 761 viewsRobTheMonk

When Harrison was playing we were still trying to play a ridiculous amount of Murph ball.
The most frustrating thing about the U23s and U18s playing so well.... on 11:48 - Sep 25 with 709 viewsmonty_radio

None of the purchased players are midfielders, and Chalobah and Edun are kids.

This means that our midfield , which so many have seen for seasons of its being by-passed, is no stronger than before. Nolan looks to have a football brain, but needs complementing. People are now saying he's not a 10, but I thought I remembered him being touted as such before he arrived.

And before Andre gets another fanfare, this week's U23 report talked of nice touches but a failure to grab hold of a the game - so still some way off.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024