Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. 09:47 - Sep 27 with 7426 viewsJoHnNnY

Let’s roll the clock back. Some people bleating about Derby being better off than us. If I recall, PH was the fans No1 choice in the “shortlist”, Ross was a close 2nd. Nobody was overly keen on an “untried” Lampard back then, so all the back peddlers and whingers need to wind their necks in.

We will turn this around, I don’t believe Rowe and Dozzell etc are too far off beimg put in. We will turn it around, we may have a boring mid table season finish again, but I have much more interest than before. Yes, I would like to see some of our own youngsters in - one thing I like about Hurst - which all and sundry moaned about MM, he does make subs, isn’t scared to tactically change things earlier in the game... I think somebody, hopefully Birmingham, are going to be on the end of a tonking.
I have seen every game this season btw.

Up the Town! COYB.

Can we just play some attractive football please?
Poll: Who would like to see a return of the previous badge design?

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 09:52 - Sep 27 with 5183 viewsWestover

Good post your right almost everyone wanted Hurst get behind the Team and hopefully it will be ok in the long run.âš½
Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 09:53 - Sep 27 with 5174 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jack Ross seemed a front runner on here, if I remember rightly.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 09:53 - Sep 27 with 5176 viewspeterleeblue

I think that's the key. Someone has to come in make an impact and get the team ticking.
Please let it be soon.
Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 09:55 - Sep 27 with 5174 viewsBasuco

I am still happy with the appointment of Paul Hurst. My thoughts are that most of us always knew there was a good chance that with a change of manager, style and players, things would get worse before they got better, getting the team to gell and finding out what the best team and set-up is has been interesting as things have moved forward then back as different options have been tried. I feel it is good that PH is able to change things during a game to chase that elusive win and to put a good deal of pressure on an in form side like Brentford shows he is capable of turning this around. I don’t think it helped with the number of late signings which effectively put us back to pre-season. Hopefully we will see more player partnerships emerging and then a more settled starting eleven.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2018 10:09]
Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 09:56 - Sep 27 with 5163 viewsDeano69

I think it was simply most fans wanted 'a change'

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 10:01 - Sep 27 with 5141 viewsLankHenners

Has anyone been saying they wished we had Lampard?

As for the subs thing - so far he's made early changes because they way he started out was stupid and he had to save it. His 'tactical change' on Saturday was to just lump all his attacking players on and hope something happened.

Even if we get to the best version of a Paul Hurst team I can't see us coming close to tonking anyone.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 10:03 - Sep 27 with 5131 viewsCurrie10

Sure, happy to do so.

Clock rolled back, I was sad Mick was going....... but accepted it was time.

Looked at the managers out there, Hurst + Clark ( Bristol Rovers ) were the two I was very very keen on getting.

Was mixed on Ross......... and when Hurst was appointed - I was delighted.

However, it didn't take long with Hurst incharge before I was utterly alarmed at what could potentially happen this season. Various reasons I've alluded to before.

Normally will get behind a manager, but he's giving me absolutely nothing to get behind. I disagree with so much of what he's done to date. He's chopping and changing, has zero idea as to his best side and now Walters out leaves us a massive hole up top.

HURST OUT
Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 10:06 - Sep 27 with 5111 viewsgordon

Phil had a poll on here between Ross and Hurst, Ross was clear favourite on TWTD, Hurst was in tight battle with 'other' for second place.

58% Ross, 22% Hurst, 20% other.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2018 10:08]
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 10:07 - Sep 27 with 5105 viewsTownly

I was very much in favour of the appointment. Everything seemed right.

I started to have doubts early on as I would have preferred a more softly softly approach rather than an "I am, this is what I do , these are my requirements" attitude.

He seemed to be over-full of himself, a stance which only succeeds with success, a la Bryan Clough.

Hurst was unable to appreciate his own lack of the right experience and was like the proverbial bull in the china shop.

Quite frankly, he's not all he bigged himself up to be.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2018 10:09]
Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 10:09 - Sep 27 with 5086 viewspeterleeblue

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 10:03 - Sep 27 by Currie10

Sure, happy to do so.

Looked at the managers out there, Hurst + Clark ( Bristol Rovers ) were the two I was very very keen on getting.

However, it didn't take long with Hurst incharge before I was utterly alarmed at what could potentially happen this season. Various reasons I've alluded to before.

Normally will get behind a manager, but he's giving me absolutely nothing to get behind. I disagree with so much of what he's done to date. He's chopping and changing, has zero idea as to his best side and now Walters out leaves us a massive hole up top.

HURST OUT

Arguably we should be on 10 points now and not 5. (2 home wins and not got beat by Rotherham. ). Had we done this would a little more patience not be the order of the day.
Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 10:10 - Sep 27 with 5081 viewsBerlinBlue

Sure, happy to do so.

HURST OUT

You could have saved typing out the second half of your post and just referred us to your avatar instead.

I am sure PH will demonstrate his value to this club given time and patience.
Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 11:12 - Sep 27 with 4958 viewsGarv

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 10:06 - Sep 27 by gordon

Phil had a poll on here between Ross and Hurst, Ross was clear favourite on TWTD, Hurst was in tight battle with 'other' for second place.

I'd like to know when that was. At the time Ross was a strong favourite with the bookies everyone was keen, when it became clear he preferred Sunderland and Hurst's name came up it changed again. Might be wrong mind.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 11:20 - Sep 27 with 4933 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 10:06 - Sep 27 by gordon

It always seemed to me that the majority were happy with the idea of Hurst, but when Ross emerged as a candidate, people seemed to swoon over him because he was somehow more exciting even though nobody could give any rational reason why.

Think the club was doomed to a 'we picked the wrong one' assessment no matter which way we went unless our choice had immediate success, which was never likely in any case.
Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 11:31 - Sep 27 with 4900 viewsmonty_radio

You might be reconciled to him BUT:

He's brought in highly rated L1 and L2 players with big potential sell-ons

He's sent out players on loan who should be playing here who can't get into Sutton Utd's starting line-up

He's still playing Dozzell in U23 even as respected Town observers comment that Andre isn't imposing themselves there.

He's even changed the TWTD presser just so that he can digest his lunch.

And we all said it would take time, but it's been nearly two months now!

Megson in!!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 11:36 - Sep 27 with 4873 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

He was never my choice. I never bought into all this trendy 'young hungry manager' hoping for an Aldi version of Eddie Howe. Hurst and his number 2 are clearly out of their depth at this level. Burley and Butcher were (and still are the solution) short term. We needed someone after MM who could reconnect with the fans. Burley did make some mistakes towards the end but I believe now he deserves another crack because he and Butch know the club and won't expect big salaries. ME should sack Hurst at the international break if he does not secure at least 5/6 points from next 9). Long term, they can train up someone from within like Dyer or Nash to take over. The Academy is the key to ITFC, something Keane did his best to f@ck up and now Hurst is doing the same but without the budget to buy higher level players like Kean and Jewell did. Academy players with 3/4 bought quality championship/prem experience players is the way ITFC have had success. It's not about loaning out talent, ignoring home talent and spunking what cash we do have on Div 1/2 players. The key is to trust the Academy with people who know the club and have the gonads to act by the next three games with the international break if we can't pick up at least 5 points, which isn't going to be easy with our present powderpuff attack and lack of creativity.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 11:40 - Sep 27 with 4858 viewsmaccyd9

I'd love to be proven wrong but I was always against the Hurst appointment. In the games I saw of them last season and in the way he came across he and his style just reminded me of a young Mick.

Ross was my first choice closely followed by Lamps. Maybe it's too early to say but everything about Lampard suggests he will be a huge managerial success.

As for Hurst, I just want him to do what he promised to do. I've not seen any of the high intensity, high press (West Ham pre season aside) that he promised.

In fact and I accept I'm in the minority but I don't think the football has much improved from last season.
Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 12:01 - Sep 27 with 4800 viewsGuthrum

I was in favour of Hurst, I liked the look of the players he was hiring (and mostly still do).

I think he was the right choice with the information we had at the time.

However, his lack of ability to get the team functioning effectively, some of his decisionmaking and the rumours of off-field issues are combining to make me doubt whether things will work out for Hurst at Ipswich Town.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 12:15 - Sep 27 with 4727 viewsCurrie10

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 10:09 - Sep 27 by peterleeblue

Arguably we should be on 10 points now and not 5. (2 home wins and not got beat by Rotherham. ). Had we done this would a little more patience not be the order of the day.

Okay let’s go down the “what if” route

Blackburn should have gone 3.1 up
Sure warranted a point v Rotherham
Brentford should have been out of sight by

I make that 1 less point than we have
Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 12:34 - Sep 27 with 4685 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 12:15 - Sep 27 by Currie10

Okay let’s go down the “what if” route

Blackburn should have gone 3.1 up
Sure warranted a point v Rotherham
Brentford should have been out of sight by

I make that 1 less point than we have

We should have had a penalty at Rotherham. We should have scored a second against Norwich. Nsiala shouldn't have been sent off against Sheffield Wednesday (winner came from resulting free kick).

I make that 6 more than we have.
focusing on the manager rather ignores the fact that on 12:38 - Sep 27 with 4677 viewsIllinoisblue

We’ve replaced top half championship players with top half League 1 players. And then padded the squad with unproven loanees. Any manager would struggle in the circumstances. That said Hurst hasnt helped himself with constantly changing the team and seemingly having no idea of what his best team is.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 12:39 - Sep 27 with 4673 viewsSouperJim

Whilst I agree with the sentiment about giving Hurst time, I don't agree that it is hypocritical to say it appears the wrong choice has been made. The fans didn't interview him and give him the job, Evans did. Of those strongly linked with our vacancy who went elsewhere, Derby are 6th, Sunderland 3rd and Rangers 2nd in their respective divisions. Obviously this is an overly-simplistic comparison, but somewhat valid I feel.

Anecdotally, Jack Ross seemed to be the most popular choice, but would have been a bigger risk given our apparent budget imo.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 12:39 - Sep 27 with 4669 viewsmonty_radio

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 11:36 - Sep 27 by Jonnosdreadlocks

He was never my choice. I never bought into all this trendy 'young hungry manager' hoping for an Aldi version of Eddie Howe. Hurst and his number 2 are clearly out of their depth at this level. Burley and Butcher were (and still are the solution) short term. We needed someone after MM who could reconnect with the fans. Burley did make some mistakes towards the end but I believe now he deserves another crack because he and Butch know the club and won't expect big salaries. ME should sack Hurst at the international break if he does not secure at least 5/6 points from next 9). Long term, they can train up someone from within like Dyer or Nash to take over. The Academy is the key to ITFC, something Keane did his best to f@ck up and now Hurst is doing the same but without the budget to buy higher level players like Kean and Jewell did. Academy players with 3/4 bought quality championship/prem experience players is the way ITFC have had success. It's not about loaning out talent, ignoring home talent and spunking what cash we do have on Div 1/2 players. The key is to trust the Academy with people who know the club and have the gonads to act by the next three games with the international break if we can't pick up at least 5 points, which isn't going to be easy with our present powderpuff attack and lack of creativity.

Such a reliance on the Academy is unlikely to provide as much as you suggest. Of our youth cup-winning side nowhere near the number you are looking for got near solid Campionship careers.

Some, U23s such as Drinan can't make Sutton Utd's starting 11 (even Nydam has only been on the bench at St Johnstone).

And with so many reaching for the panic button, Downes has yet to prove an answer and Dozzell is not pulling up trees in U23 yet.

Hurst has got much to do to make his solution work, but don't lets kid ourselves that if only he, or someone else, were to implement a plan that stuck by youth to the end, then the sun would come out.

I'm disappointed that Hurst hasn't stuck by his high-press model, but, with all football fans demanding success yesterday, I can understand why he hasn't.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 12:46 - Sep 27 with 4631 viewsPositivelyPortman

Sure, happy to do so.

HURST OUT

So you’re responsible then, you muppet.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 13:08 - Sep 27 with 4561 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Jack Ross was the fans choice by aong way, once his name became known to them. I recommended him long before this, before most Town fans knew who he was.

He was the man, I predict he will be a top Premier League manager in five years time. Evans should have offered him the job when he had the chance.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Paul Hurst was the majority choice with fans. on 13:18 - Sep 27 with 4531 viewstractorshark

You're quite right. Hurst was the No1 choice with a lot of fans, me included.
But that doesn't mean we can't be wrong.
People say things like the art of good management is showing faith when things aren't going well.
I'd agree with that but I'd also add it's just as important to admit when you're wrong and make brave decisions before situations spiral out of control.
Do we truly believe things will get better under Hurst? I'm not sure.
The whispers of unrest may be untrue but it's unsettling nevertheless. What is undeniable is Hurst doesn't seem to be sticking to any consistent plan.
If he can't keep faith in his own project, why should Evans keep faith in him?
I keep saying to non-Ipswich fans it was the right decision to ditch McCarthy, maybe it was the wrong decision to appoint Hurst.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024