Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" 08:15 - Sep 28 with 4216 viewsSteve_M

And so the sunny uplands promised after Brexit are reduced to having enough food. After a week of the Labour freakshow, it's time for the Tory one.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/28/theresa-may-tory-grassroots-bre

And that picture is crying out for Cold War Steve, there's even an empty table for Cilla.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:21 - Sep 28 with 3146 viewsSteve_M

And this takedown of Johnson's latest ballacks is amusing, by Richard North who advocated leave.

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87007

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:24 - Sep 28 with 3144 viewsDanTheMan

"I know he’s Ukip but Nigel Farage made a very valid point when he called them gangsters. These people are just bully boys."

But it was going to be so easy! We were going to go in and they would be begging us for a deal!

Now they're "gangsters" for wanting a deal on their terms, like us. Propaganda sure is good.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:30 - Sep 28 with 3117 viewsGuthrum

In the Second World War we were NOT feeding ourselves. Hence the need for extremely costly (in terms of lives, ships and money) convoys across the Atlantic. And the necessity of a rationing system - which got more stringent once US generosity was withdrawn in late 1945 and we could no longer afford to import stuff.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:35 - Sep 28 with 3100 viewsGuthrum

An irony is that Winston Churchill was a confirmed supporter of European unity, especially post-War.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:37 - Sep 28 with 3091 viewsSteve_M

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:30 - Sep 28 by Guthrum

In the Second World War we were NOT feeding ourselves. Hence the need for extremely costly (in terms of lives, ships and money) convoys across the Atlantic. And the necessity of a rationing system - which got more stringent once US generosity was withdrawn in late 1945 and we could no longer afford to import stuff.

Yes, I was going to add that point but got distracted by the incredibly bleak nature of that photo.

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:48 - Sep 28 with 3062 viewsStokieBlue

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:30 - Sep 28 by Guthrum

Exactly.

Unfortunately this is the result of poor historical knowledge/education be peddled as fact.

Or fake news if you like.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:54 - Sep 28 with 3038 viewsDubtractor

Replace the chap at the bar with Steve McFadden and that is a cold war Steve picture.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:58 - Sep 28 with 3031 viewsBLUEBEAT

Furthermore, the UK population was around 45 million and is now closer to 67 million. Also, there is less available farmland.

Poll: W or W

Login to get fewer ads

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:05 - Sep 28 with 3000 viewsSwansea_Blue

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:24 - Sep 28 by DanTheMan

"I know he’s Ukip but Nigel Farage made a very valid point when he called them gangsters. These people are just bully boys."

But it was going to be so easy! We were going to go in and they would be begging us for a deal!

Now they're "gangsters" for wanting a deal on their terms, like us. Propaganda sure is good.

This is what I still struggle to fathom. It's a complete victim mentality: "“They’ve treated both her and us appallingly,”..."She’s trying as hard as she can, but the way she was treated was despicable.”

Arghh!. There are clear lines for EU member states. Non-members can't have those same benefits. WE TOLD YOU MANY TIMES TWO YEARS AGO!!!

And why are they complaining that they can't have their cake and eat it? Brexiteers keep telling us they want a clean break. Well, we're getting closer to one, so should be happy not whinging that we're going to be missing out on membership benefits.

It's head-exploding contradiction and nonsense.

Hmph.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:11 - Sep 28 with 2982 viewsfactual_blue

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:35 - Sep 28 by Guthrum

An irony is that Winston Churchill was a confirmed supporter of European unity, especially post-War.

balls

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

(No subject) on 09:12 - Sep 28 with 2980 viewsfactual_blue

balls.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:12 - Sep 28 with 2983 viewshampstead_blue

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:05 - Sep 28 by Swansea_Blue

This is what I still struggle to fathom. It's a complete victim mentality: "“They’ve treated both her and us appallingly,”..."She’s trying as hard as she can, but the way she was treated was despicable.”

Arghh!. There are clear lines for EU member states. Non-members can't have those same benefits. WE TOLD YOU MANY TIMES TWO YEARS AGO!!!

And why are they complaining that they can't have their cake and eat it? Brexiteers keep telling us they want a clean break. Well, we're getting closer to one, so should be happy not whinging that we're going to be missing out on membership benefits.

It's head-exploding contradiction and nonsense.

Hmph.

I'm trying not to worry about the journey of Brexit, but keep an eye on the opportunities it will bring.

The EU were never going to make it remotely smooth. It was always going to be this way and it's a case of nerve.

We both need each other which is why I think the EU have been rank in their stance. They have been stirring fear and loathing since we voted to Leave.
It is a measure of them as a union that they feel they have to behave this way.

We will be fine. The more they complain the better the outcome for us. It's a zero sum game.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:15 - Sep 28 with 2977 viewsSteve_M

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:12 - Sep 28 by hampstead_blue

I'm trying not to worry about the journey of Brexit, but keep an eye on the opportunities it will bring.

The EU were never going to make it remotely smooth. It was always going to be this way and it's a case of nerve.

We both need each other which is why I think the EU have been rank in their stance. They have been stirring fear and loathing since we voted to Leave.

We will be fine. The more they complain the better the outcome for us. It's a zero sum game.

It's not a zero sum game, it really isn't at all. International trade brings mutual benefits in the aggregate, I really can't see how crashing out and breaking UK manufacturing (and possibly agriculture too) will benefit the UK.

(No subject) on 09:17 - Sep 28 with 2969 viewsSwansea_Blue

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:12 - Sep 28 by hampstead_blue

The EU couldn't have made it smoother (on this point). They laid out their lines in the sand at the start and we've spent two years fighting over the spade we think (wrongly) that we can use to re-draw them. And now Boris has gone off in a huff with the bucket.

Although I do wish more people would focus on the opportunities, agreed there.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2018 9:20]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:31 - Sep 28 with 2935 viewsconnorscontract

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 08:24 - Sep 28 by DanTheMan

It makes me really angry that the negotiators who are totally bound by the rule of law, and who won't agree to anything which compromises prior legally binding agreements, are being characterized as "gangsters".

Whereas fckwits like Rees-Mogg who has dismissed the Eire/N Ireland border as unimportant, or Johnson, who wants to shove it to one side and deal with it at an indeterminate point in the future, are advocating the breaking of a legally binding agreement for short-term advantage.

How can anyone want this sh1t-shower to negotiate "bespoke deals" with the likes of Trump, from a position of desperation, when they can't even negotiate with people who play by the rules, on a level playing field, according to the timetable of their own choosing.

We will be eating chlorine washed turkeys by Christmas 2020.

Personally I'd rather all trade deals with Trump were carried out on our behalf by Barnier and co, as part of a bloc just as big and important as the USA is, and with non-negotiable legal frameworks in place.

But the "sovereignty lovers" will instead go in from a position of weakness and contort whatever needs to be changed to, for example, much lower US food standards, in order to make the deal.

And the EU will be weaker, too.
"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:40 - Sep 28 with 2910 viewsGeoffSentence

There were some on here who were rather blasé about the prospect of a good deal agreed, naively ignoring the EU's political imperative to stop other countries considering the exit option which for them trumps having a deal with us any day.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:48 - Sep 28 with 2888 viewsbrazil1982

Oh, that's a piece from The Guardian? Must be completely representative of all Tories then.
"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 10:00 - Sep 28 with 2868 viewsDanTheMan

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:48 - Sep 28 by brazil1982

Oh, that's a piece from The Guardian? Must be completely representative of all Tories then.

Did you even read it? It's from a Conservative club...

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 10:13 - Sep 28 with 2842 viewsTJS

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 09:40 - Sep 28 by GeoffSentence

There were some on here who were rather blasé about the prospect of a good deal agreed, naively ignoring the EU's political imperative to stop other countries considering the exit option which for them trumps having a deal with us any day.

I honestly don't see how any of the countries in the eurozone COULD leave unless they were somehow going to continue to use the Euro as their currency.
"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 10:26 - Sep 28 with 2818 viewsStokieBlue

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 10:13 - Sep 28 by TJS

I honestly don't see how any of the countries in the eurozone COULD leave unless they were somehow going to continue to use the Euro as their currency.

They could set the EUR-CCY to a fixed exchange rate on a certain date then go back to printing their own currencty. That's what happened when the EUR was created but just the other way round.

If a country did leave but retained the EUR it would be a disasterous decision economically.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 11:22 - Sep 28 with 2765 viewsLord_Lucan

When I saw that picture I assumed it was a Labour Club in Yorkshire and not a Conservative Club in Essex. Oh my!

When did Hornchurch become part of East London by the way? Or Romford, Ilford, Dagenham etc for that matter.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 11:39 - Sep 28 with 2729 viewsWeWereZombies

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 10:13 - Sep 28 by TJS

It's possible but you start at a position of having no national currency reserves. If the nation's treasury had somehow managed to stockpile gold bullion they might be OK, or maybe bitcoins. Otherwise it is likely that exchange markets would undervalue their unproven currency for decades.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 12:24 - Sep 28 with 2670 viewsgiant_stow

If anyone lives in Kent and voted remain, this is harsh: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/28/uk-no-deal-brexit-lorry-traffic

If you voted brexit, enjoy.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 12:32 - Sep 28 with 2651 viewsDeano69

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

"In the second world war we were feeding ourselves" on 14:45 - Sep 28 with 2485 viewseireblue

Hmmm, project blind optimism run by the blissfully ignorant, not delivering yet?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024